Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2007, 05:52 AM   #436
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/busin...l_tab01_layout

US Airways is finally becoming part of DME.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #437
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyMom5 View Post
We are only about 16 days out from our arrival date, and my ILs just decided to fly. I am calling tommorrow to sign my SIL up for DME--she just purchased her airfare today.

At what point is it too late for the rest of their party to sign up for DME? Due to health issues they may be cancelling the trip, so they have not purchased airfare yet. It may be a bit of a last minute thing. [The flying instead of driving is also due to the health issue. We're just hoping they can still travel!]

Thanks!
It's really never 'too late' to sign up for DME. But, if you leave it until less than 2 weeks before flying, you most likely won't get the info packet with luggage tags in it. You can call DME the day before and get added to the system, but you would have to either get your own luggage and bring it with you to the DME desk, or give the DME desk CM your claim receipts and description of your bags so that someone can get them for you and put them on the DME truck for delivery to the resort.
Hope it all works out for you and the ILs!!
Register to remove

Old 09-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #438
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

Please note that the first post of this thread has been updated.

USAirways will be testing being a participating airline of the Resort Airline Check-In desk.

This test will begin on September 5th.

It will be available ONLY to those Guests staying at Disney's Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge Resorts.

I do not know an end date, nor do I know when additional resorts will be added.

As with all test phases, the service may not always be functioning properly. In the event of a downtime, be prepared to bring your bags with you to the airport, and check them in the old fashioned way.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #439
ckret01
DIS Veteran

Sorry I have a few questions regarding ME. This is my first time I will be using this system and am kinda getting confused reading through everything...maybe overwhelmed -lol

Baggage:

If I chose to have ME get my bags when I arrive in Orlando.....does that mean when they drop me off at my resort and a few hours later bring me my bags instead of giving me my bags when they drop me off?
What happens if I get my own baggage at the airport and bring it to the bus...when they drop me off at the resort can I take my baggae with me at that time? Do people do this? Do you find it easier to have your bags with you instead of waiting for them to arrive?
Can you bring your luggage on the bus with you or do you have to check it underneath the bus? Will I look silly having my bags with me ?

Bus times (arriving and departing):
when I land at the airport and go to the kiosk desk for ME.....how often does the bus leave (every hour etc)? So If I miss one bus time I have to wait for the next?
How many drop offs does the bus include? Meaning does it take a really long time for you to get to your destination or would it be better to rent a car?
I will be staying at the All Star Sports this time

Sorry for all my questions...and I'm sure I will have more Thanks
ckret01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 09:48 AM   #440
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

You can put those yellow tags on your checked bags and they should arrive in your resort room within 3 hrs. of your checking in. If you choose to claim your own bags at MCO, then do not put the tags on them. You will have to go to baggage claim and get them, then head to the DME checkin counter. You will be directed to the appropriate bus line for your resort. YOur bags will be stowed underneath the bus. You will not be able to bring them on the bus...seats are for people, not bags, as one driver told us. If it's a carryon bag and fits in your lap, then fine, but no checked luggage on board...goes underneath. And be aware, that if a driver touches your bag, a tip is expected. I personally like to not have to lug my bags around the airport. I pack anything I'm going to need for the first day at WDW in my carryon. This is usually those 3 oz bottles of sunscreen, toothpaste, toothbrush, deod. And my swim suit and a change of clothes. Baggage can be misdirected by the airlines, so it makes sense to have what you'll need with you for a short time.

As far as timing is involved....my average time with DME, after 5-6 times, is about 70 mins. I have gotten to my resort in less than an hour and in one case it took me 90 mins. That 90 min trip was the one time I have been number 3 stop, of three, and a ton of guests had to have luggage removed from underneath the bus at each of the two previous stops...this takes time. I would plan on it being about 70 mins.
Whether or not to use a rental is up to you. I will say that only once have I made it to my resort in 45 mins and that one time was with carryon luggage and a towncar. With a towncar and going to baggage claim it has routinely taken about an hour or so. A rental car will mean going to baggage claim, to the rental counter, then the garage, then the drive to your resort. It's up to each person to decide on their transportation choices.

Last edited by goofy4tink; 09-04-2007 at 09:58 AM.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 08:48 PM   #441
Me2Me
Mouseketeer

Canadian (Ontario) here

I thought that I had better post this question here too. It's also on the Canadian boards - just slightly edited below.

I have a question regarding Magical Express out of the YKF (Waterloo, Ontario, Canada) airport. We are flying on Northwest airlines - flying in to a connecting flight in Detroit and then on to Orlando. I see from the YKF airport website that unlike Toronto we would not clear U.S. customs at the YKF airport:

http://www.waterlooairport.ca/en/pas...ces/faq.asp#15
"15. Do passengers clear U.S. Customs & Border Protection at Region of Waterloo International Airport?
No, the Region of Waterloo International Airport does not have U.S. Customs & Border Protection at the Airport. Passengers are required to clear U.S. Customs when passengers arrive at Detroit Metropolitan Airport in the United States."

I understand that after leaving YKF and arriving in Detroit that we will have to retrieve our bags and clear US Customs in Detroit. I'm not sure whether we get our bags first and lug them through customs or whether we walk through US Customs and then get our bags. (Just wondering how long we have to haul them around.) After we clear US customs do we hand off our luggage in Detroit and not see it again until we are at the resort? ie)as someone who originated on an international flight, do I have to retrieve my luggage again in Orlando or is that negated as I already cleared US customs on the Detroit leg?

On the return flight:
I'm a little confused about the process that I was reading on this transportation thread sticky as it pertains to Canadians who are returning home using ME. I will have the same return path ie) fly from MCO to Detroit and then back to Canada on Northwest. I know that I can use ME for sure if I carry my own luggage and load it on the bus. I'm confused on the "domestic" flight thing. I'm assuming that I'm "international" since my ultimate return flight is to Canada. The wrinkle is the connection in Detroit. It seems that on the way there we cleared US customs in Detroit so I'm wondering if on the return can I use the Resort Airline Check-in and just check my bags at the resort (Pop Century) and be done with it?
I guess I'm wondering if have a connecting flight in Detroit makes my flight a domestic flight instead of international.
Me2Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:15 PM   #442
Allegro
Mouseketeer

Same Question; different Day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me2Me View Post
I'm wondering if on the return can I use the Resort Airline Check-in and just check my bags at the resort (Pop Century) and be done with it?
I guess I'm wondering if have a connecting flight in Detroit makes my flight a domestic flight instead of international.
I just posted a similar question of the Canadian board except that we are transferring through Chicago and I'm assuming will have to clear customs in Chicago.

I'm wondering the same as you - are we therefore considered domestic since we will have to retrieve our luggage in Chicago.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:20 PM   #443
jeanylaser
Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista biggest fan

I heard that Southwest airlines is joining too. It is correct!

jeanylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #444
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanylaser View Post
I heard that Southwest airlines is joining too. It is correct!
Nothing definate that I know of. I believe the Orlando Sentinal reported that SW 'may' be ready to come on board in early '08. But nothing really definate...sorry.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:59 AM   #445
Disneynutbsv
DIS Veteran
If I had kept my fancy flyswatter I might be $50 richer!
Secretly I love Lucky Charms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip 'n Dale Express View Post
Please note that the first post of this thread has been updated.

USAirways will be testing being a participating airline of the Resort Airline Check-In desk.

This test will begin on September 5th.

It will be available ONLY to those Guests staying at Disney's Polynesian, Wilderness Lodge, and Animal Kingdom Lodge Resorts.
Bummer! They should do a test at one value, one moderate and at least one deluxe, not all deluxes I was psyched until I read this.....oh well.

DH Me DS dd DS

I'm the only one that hasn't outgrown Disney
Checking out Carnival Cruise line...
Disneynutbsv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:28 AM   #446
jeanylaser
Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista biggest fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Nothing definate that I know of. I believe the Orlando Sentinal reported that SW 'may' be ready to come on board in early '08. But nothing really definate...sorry.
That's ok! Oh! Spirit Airlines is a DME also!

jeanylaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #447
tiki23
Able to leap a double stroller in a single *splat*
A hot glue gun was my best friend

Well shoot - we're flying USAir but staying at POP. Not until December though - maybe they'll have added more resorts by then.
1st Trip! 11/06 POP~ Christmas Time W/Mom 12/07 POP~ Just Me DL 3/08~ Mom-Son 8/08 POP~Fam & Friends 10/08 DLR~Reunion 9/09 ASMU~Sisters! 9/10 POFQ~ 3/11 w/DD's choir ASMu~ 5/12 EE Challenge w/Sis POP ~w/DH 9/12 AoA~ ToT Run/Reunion 10/13 POP! ~ ASP w/Sis Princess Wknd 2/14 DLand Half Marathon 8/14 11/14 Avenger Half Marathon
tiki23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #448
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanylaser View Post
That's ok! Oh! Spirit Airlines is a DME also!
Spirit Airlines is NOT a participating airline.
Old 09-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #449
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Eric is right....lets try to keep the two very different services apart. Every single airline is able to use DME....any airline, there are no airlines that you can not use DME with. But.....the RAC benefit is a whole other ball of wax. This is where the confusion is....still. If you are flying a participating airline, you get to check your bags right at your resort and get your boarding pass issued. You may, then, use DME to get you back to MCO or you can drive a rental car, or hire a towncar service to get you back...makes no difference.
IF you are not on one of the participating airlines, you will take your bags with you, on the bus, back to the airport. There you will check your bags, and get your boarding pass, same as usual. We need to keep the two services straight.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:03 AM   #450
Barb
A DIS Original!

Thanks for the update. I was so hoping that USAir was testing resort check-in at all resorts. I did this last year and found it to be so easy. Let's hope the testing phase goes well and they add the rest of the resorts soon!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: