Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #376
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

The good news is that the return trip can be reserved as close as just one day in advance of your return to the airport. As a practical matter, you should probably do it when you check-IN at the DME Welcome Center (at the airport) when you first arrive in Orlando, because you will be interfacing directly with DME CMs who are DME experts and have the DME database at their fingertips.

If you really want to take care of this all in advance, I don't think calling DME by phone will be helpful. Since you will be ending your trip at a DVC resort, your advance DME reservations for the return trip must be made through DVC Member Services. I don't have that phone number.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 AM   #377
GMarcan920
Earning My Ears

WDW Magical Express

Can we use the Magical Express based on the following scenario, flying on Southwest:

We are arriving 12/4, staying at the POFQ; when we leave WDW on 12/8, we are going to the Orlando Airport, but will be renting a car and driving to Vero Beach for 2 or 3 days. We will return to Orlando Airport and then fly home. I've been told by a travel agent that we cannot use the Magical Express due to security reasons because we're not flying out of Orlando on the day we leave WDW. Note: we're flying on Southwest, a non participating airline. Is it correct we cannot use the Magical Express?
GMarcan920 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-14-2007, 07:06 AM   #378
GMarcan920
Earning My Ears

We're not ending our trip at a WDW resort, we're going to visit some friends. Does this matter

I was hoping we could take the Magical Express to WDW on the 4th and to the airport on the 8th. We will then rent a car to visit friends in Vero Beach, drive back the airport and fly home.
GMarcan920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 07:42 AM   #379
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Absolutely doable!! Not sure why your TA told you that it wasn't possible, but it is. In fact, I'm doing the exact same thing in August. I'll arrive at MCO, take DME to BWV, then take it back to MCO, and rent a car there for the remainder of our trip! I have given DME a flight departure time that gets me back to MCO at the time I need to rent my car. If you want to rent your car at, say, 10:00 am, give them a flight departure time of 12:00ish..that will get you to MCO about 9:30 or so.
It doesn't matter what airline you arrive at MCO on....'participating airline' matters only for your return to MCO. Only certain airlines allow you to check your bags through, to the airport, from the resort, and get your boarding passes printed out..this way you just go right to security at MCO. With SW, you would just take your bags on the bus with you, that's all.
So, in short, you can do exactly what you are looking to do. Tell your TA to just book it and you'll take your chances..you won't blame her if something goes wrong. It won't but it may make the TA happier!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 03:50 PM   #380
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post
Can we use the Magical Express based on the following scenario, flying on Southwest:

We are arriving 12/4, staying at the POFQ; when we leave WDW on 12/8, we are going to the Orlando Airport, but will be renting a car and driving to Vero Beach for 2 or 3 days. We will return to Orlando Airport and then fly home. I've been told by a travel agent that we cannot use the Magical Express due to security reasons because we're not flying out of Orlando on the day we leave WDW. Note: we're flying on Southwest, a non participating airline. Is it correct we cannot use the Magical Express?
I agree with goofy4tink. I think your TA is just making things up as she goes along ... how on EARTH could it be a security risk for you to take a bus to an airport. People are free to go to any airport in the USA by car or bus! That was just a silly explanation she gave, as well as a totally incorrect statement.

You are entitled to a DME bus ride from MCO to your WDW resort on your day of resort check-in, and also to a DME bus ride from your WDW resort to MCO on your day of check-out from that resort. There is no requirement that you fly at all, at any time.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #381
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleveRocks View Post
I agree with goofy4tink.
Well of course you do!!!
Old 06-14-2007, 05:46 PM   #382
BCVBRUCE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMarcan920 View Post

I think your TA may be confused with the fact that you are not checking your luggage with ME or leaving your luggage at MCO while at Vero. If that is the case?

You do not have to check luggage or fly out on an airline, participating or not, just to take the ME bus to MCO. I was told that directly by the ME/airline check-in people at SSR.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:50 PM   #383
AStarOnMars
Mouseketeer

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but here are my two questions ...

1. I am booking a WDW vacation before booking airfare (via JetBlue) ... do I just call WDW back with airline info at a later time or do they need it when I book the vacation?

2. If JetBlue changes my departure times around, do I need to inform WDW/ME about the changes?
AStarOnMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:50 PM   #384
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AStarOnMars View Post
Not sure if I am posting this in the right place but here are my two questions ...

1. I am booking a WDW vacation before booking airfare (via JetBlue) ... do I just call WDW back with airline info at a later time or do they need it when I book the vacation?

2. If JetBlue changes my departure times around, do I need to inform WDW/ME about the changes?
1. You can get DME your flight info as late as a week or so before-hand, but it would be best to do it soon after you book your flights, just because it's one less thing to do later ... or to forget.

2. I would notify DME, but it's not really vital unless the days change.

The direct # for DME is 866-599-0951.
Old 06-17-2007, 09:40 PM   #385
AStarOnMars
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much
AStarOnMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:19 PM   #386
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

DME links up to the airline time tables, so when flight times change, they are aware. However, they are not aware of when flight numbers change. That's when it's a good idea to let DME know.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:44 AM   #387
lippylulu
Mouseketeer

how to get luggage tags

We are staying at SSR. Our flight arrives late ona Friday (9 pm). We rented points from a DVC owner. How do we get luggage tags? I would love not to schlepp luggage!
lippylulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 03:55 PM   #388
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lippylulu View Post
We are staying at SSR. Our flight arrives late ona Friday (9 pm). We rented points from a DVC owner. How do we get luggage tags? I would love not to schlepp luggage!
Tags will come automatically once you have made reservations with DME.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:09 PM   #389
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip 'n Dale Express View Post
Tags will come automatically once you have made reservations with DME.
... and unless things have changed, you will need to get the DVC owner to make your DME reservations for you through DVC Member Services.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:04 PM   #390
txvjc
DIS Veteran

I aplologize if this has been asked but it's a long board and I may have skipped a page here and there while reading it...ok so my question...can you catch DME from a resort other than your own (ex. a minor from CBR catching it at POR so they can ride with their parents...read the pre-trip for the details) ? We will have our luggage with us, not checking it early since its SW.
------------------------------------------------------
1st Disney Cruise, 4 night Disney Wonder, June 2009
2nd Disney Cruise, 5 night Disney Dream, June 2011
txvjc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: