Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #361
ScottNBecky
DIS Veteran

Heres a quick question... We are flying into MCO on an airline that isnt listed as a participating resort, but we are staying at SSR. We only have one bag that we will be bringing with us, so really DME would only be for transporting us to and from our resort from OIA. Is that possible even though our ariline isnt listed? Thanks in advance for your replies!
ScottNBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #362
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottNBecky View Post
Heres a quick question... We are flying into MCO on an airline that isnt listed as a participating resort, but we are staying at SSR. We only have one bag that we will be bringing with us, so really DME would only be for transporting us to and from our resort from OIA. Is that possible even though our ariline isnt listed? Thanks in advance for your replies!
It would be most helpful for you to read the first post in this thread. The list of "participating airlines" only matters on the way home, and only then has to do with luggage handling.

EVERYONE on EVERY AIRLINE gets the full DME treatment, which includes round-trip motorcoach transportation between airport and resort, AND automatic luggage delivery one-way from airplane to resort room.

You can ride the bus whether or not you have checked luggage; in other words, having checked luggage is not a requirement for using DME.

PLEASE read the first post in this thread, and if anything is unclear please post again and many of us would be very happy to answer your questions.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-21-2007, 06:36 AM   #363
ScottNBecky
DIS Veteran

Thanks for your reply, but just an FYI I have read the 25 pages of threads and still wasnt clear, which is why I asked my question.
ScottNBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 07:57 AM   #364
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I really wish that Disney would get rid of that whole 'participating airline' thing. It only serves to confuse people. It does not matter what airline you are flying into MCO (OIA) on. As long as you have put those yellow luggage tags on any checked bags, they will deliver your checked bags to your resort, and you can take the DME bus from the airport to your resort. You do not have to have any checked luggage in order to use the bus. You can go to baggage claim and pick up your own luggage if you have chosed to not use the yellow luggage tags. Then you may take the luggage to the DME counter, checkin, and then head to the bus, luggage in tow. The driver will then stow your bags underneath the bus, and take it out for you when you get to your resort.
'Participating airlines' only matters for your return trip to the airport. If you just want to jump on the DME bus, stow your bags underneath, you are good to go...doesn't matter one whit what airline you are flying home on. BUT....those that are flying on the 'participating airlines' are able to get their bags checked right at the resort, and get their boarding passes done at the same time. It is the exact same thing as checking in at the airport. If you are able to use this serviced, you then hop on the bus (if that is your choice), go to the airport where you immediatly can go to security. Your bags were taken at the resort, you already have your boarding passes! No need to stop now.

There are actually some folks who don't want to take the DME bus back to MCO since it picks them up so early. They choose to check in, get their bags taken and boading passes right at the resort. Then, they hire a towncar service to get them to the airport. You do not have to use DME in order to do the resort checkin...you just have to be flying on a 'participating airline'. So.....as you can see.....it doesn't matter which airline you are flying on, unless you want to do the off-site (at your resort) flight checkin.

Hopefully that has helped clear up some of the confusion.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:16 AM   #365
kileybeth
DIS Veteran

wow, that was a lot of information, thank you guys so very much!

and still I have a question!

making a quick trip down to use some flight vouchers that will expire otherwise so my DH and I are actually flying in on seperate airlines.

I get it, just yellow tag each of our bags and DME will get them to our room for us and we can catch the same DME bus or seperate (not assigned) if we arrive to far apart. . .

returning, again, seperate airlines, one "participating", one not.

Q. should I just not let Disney know that DH is flying home (just give them
in- bound fight info) on a non participating airline and then go ahead and check both peices of our luggage (2 max) onto my flight so we can use RAC and avoid baggage check in at airport (at least luggage wise) DH can get boarding passes on line (we will have laptop with us) before we ever get to airport anyway so essentially it is just his checked bag that would hold us up??

I guess other question is can guest services print his boarding pass for us for non participating airline (OH, Airline is SWest) ? seems the answer is yes?

am I making any sense?

AUG 1977, OCT 1985, OCT 1986, DEC 1988, DEC 1991, FEB 1995, JAN 2000, DEC 2001, FEB 2005, SEPT 2005, JAN 2007, SEPT 2007 and again SEPT 2007!MAR/APRIL 2008, SEPT 2008
Our 1st Cruise Ever on the Disney Magic 9/18-26/2009
Our 2nd Cruise on the Magic EBTA April 2010
WDW Dec 2010 WDW Jan 2011 WDW Jan 2012

And many more I am dreaming about and holding a onboard discount for!URL="http://www.disboards.com/"][/URL]
kileybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 AM   #366
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Just to be sure I have it right...you fly out on (let's say) Delta, dh is flying out on SW. You have two bags between you. You want to check your bag, and his bag, with RAC at the resort as if you have two bags yourself, then he gets his SW boarding pass printed out at the resort at the 24 hr mark the day before....right?
Yes, you should be able to do that. The resort guest services desk will be able to get dh checked in with his boarding pass printed, you can check both bags the morning of your departure.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:03 AM   #367
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by kileybeth View Post
Q. should I just not let Disney know that DH is flying home (just give them
in- bound fight info) on a non participating airline and then go ahead and check both peices of our luggage (2 max) onto my flight so we can use RAC and avoid baggage check in at airport (at least luggage wise) DH can get boarding passes on line (we will have laptop with us) before we ever get to airport anyway so essentially it is just his checked bag that would hold us up??
The RAC Desk is separate from DME. It doesn't matter who, what, where, why and how, just as long as the airline participates and you are a resort guest. So yes, you can check both bags to the participating airline.

When making your DME reservations, it is important that the inbound airline information is for each specific airline. The reason being, if the airline happens to misdirect your baggage, DME will be able to file that claim with them. Also, just a FYI, your luggage may arrive to your room separately.

Going back to the airport, if you recieve separate motorcoach times but want to ride together, that is okay! All you have to do is call DME Guest Services (preferably the day prior) and let them know that you both want to ride on the earlier bus. They can set that up for you.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:00 PM   #368
kileybeth
DIS Veteran

wow, you guys rock!

You actually understood my not so well stated questions, thanks.

I did confirm this morning that we will be arriving/departing within the same hour both going/coming so it should all be straight forward.

Also wasn't really thinking about it, but I could also just check both bags onto my flight both ways I guess huh? Only thing is if DH carry on gets stuck into gate check at last minute (he will have a small carry on that is truly carry on size, he uses it all over the US as well as Internationally so size usually not an issue just getting boarded soon enough for flight attendants/DH to fit it in overhead.) He has had it happen ( he never checks luggage on purpose when traveling for buisnes) and for this trip we will need it at check in for swim suits and also will have our laptop. . .

yeah, so thank you so much!

AUG 1977, OCT 1985, OCT 1986, DEC 1988, DEC 1991, FEB 1995, JAN 2000, DEC 2001, FEB 2005, SEPT 2005, JAN 2007, SEPT 2007 and again SEPT 2007!MAR/APRIL 2008, SEPT 2008

And many more I am dreaming about and holding a onboard discount for!URL="http://www.disboards.com/"][/URL]
Old 06-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #369
BCVBRUCE
Mouseketeer

I know this is a very long thread. So, this may have been already covered. I just tried to use the airline/baggage check-in service at (resort name not important) yesterday for my return trip to Boston. The service only served to try my patience. If you are traveling with an infant, this service will prove to be a big waste of time.

I was told that because I was traveling with an infant, I could not get my boarding passes nor could I check my luggage at the resort. I had to do everything at the airport (just like everyone else). I was flying JetBlue (a "participating" airline). I do not know if this is JetBlue policy or FAA policy.

Just trying to save some tired travelers some time. Hope this helps.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:07 AM   #370
DanaHesson
DIS Veteran

11:10 Am 6/2/7 CM Calhoun at WDTC confirms SPIRIT

Spirit Air is now a "participating member" for Resort Airline Check in, according to the conversation I just had with cm Calhoun. I am SO excited!
DanaHesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 01:07 PM   #371
kileybeth
DIS Veteran

was this a non ticketed infant (lap child) ? Maybe that was what it was about. Anyone else have this trouble? Our little one had to have a ticket for this trip for first time so maybe I have avoided this snag?!

Old 06-02-2007, 01:24 PM   #372
BCVBRUCE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kileybeth View Post
was this a non ticketed infant (lap child) ? Maybe that was what it was about. Anyone else have this trouble? Our little one had to have a ticket for this trip for first time so maybe I have avoided this snag?!
Yes. My son was a non-ticketed infant(under 2yrs). Next time I will be able to use the service. However, next time I will have to pay for my son's plane ticket.
Old 06-03-2007, 10:24 AM   #373
tomerin
DIS Veteran

with our trip only 38 days away and we are using ME and flying on SW, i do have a reqeest here. i tried reading thorugh a few of the beginning posts and i need to know if there is a number i can call to verify our ME reservations. we have a split stay and the incoming ressie was done by my travel agent and our return trip was done by dvc. i tried calling the reservation number but i did not hear anything on that confounded voice messaging as to where to connect to. if anyone has a link or the number i can call i would greatly appreciate it. the dvc member site does not seem to have a number listed either

time is getting close and i want to make sure everything is in order

thanks again

POFQ 2007 BW 2007
SSR 2005 POP 2005
Wilderness Lodge 2004 ASM 2002
offsite 1981 offsite 1978
tomerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #374
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Try this phone number....866-599-0951
That's the number that's on my DME info packet. I've had my reservations split up also and had no issues whatsoever. When you checkin at the DME counter upon arrival, they will go over your departure times also. So, you will know that if there are any issues.

Old 06-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #375
tomerin
DIS Veteran

thank you very much i will be calling them later

POFQ 2007 BW 2007
SSR 2005 POP 2005
Wilderness Lodge 2004 ASM 2002
offsite 1981 offsite 1978
tomerin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: