Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #316
WETWHISTLE
Mouseketeer

I also have a feeling that I can't use the yellow tags, either. We are flying United, but it's operated by US Airways...so we are supposed to check-in with US Airways even though our flight is categorized as "United" - Know what I mean?

WETWHISTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 04:53 PM   #317
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WETWHISTLE View Post
I also have a feeling that I can't use the yellow tags, either. We are flying United, but it's operated by US Airways...so we are supposed to check-in with US Airways even though our flight is categorized as "United" - Know what I mean?
It shouldn't make a difference how you fly into MCO. It only makes a difference when you are leaving your resort, returning to MCO. If you are not flying out on a 'participating' airline, you can not check your bags right at the resort and get your boarding passes issued. But, you can still bring your bags with you to the airport. They will just be put underneath the bus.
Anyone, arriving on any airline (with the possible exception of international flights...not so sure with them) is entitled to the full use of DME. The yellow tags alert the baggage handlers and they pull these bags off before they can get to the baggage claim area, and then put them on DME baggage trucks for delivery to the various WDW resorts. Again, your airline, when you are arriving into MCO, has no impact on the yellow tag usage for checked bags.
Register to remove

Old 03-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #318
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

International flyers can use the inbound luggage service also. They just have to claim their bags at the international carousel, take them through customs, then drop them at the conveyer that moves their bags to the main baggage area. At that point the "yellow tag grabbers" will get their bags and take them on to WDW.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:19 AM   #319
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkelley View Post
International flyers can use the inbound luggage service also. They just have to claim their bags at the international carousel, take them through customs, then drop them at the conveyer that moves their bags to the main baggage area. At that point the "yellow tag grabbers" will get their bags and take them on to WDW.
Thanks for the clarification!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 06:30 AM   #320
WETWHISTLE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
It shouldn't make a difference how you fly into MCO. It only makes a difference when you are leaving your resort, returning to MCO. If you are not flying out on a 'participating' airline, you can not check your bags right at the resort and get your boarding passes issued. But, you can still bring your bags with you to the airport. They will just be put underneath the bus.
Anyone, arriving on any airline (with the possible exception of international flights...not so sure with them) is entitled to the full use of DME. The yellow tags alert the baggage handlers and they pull these bags off before they can get to the baggage claim area, and then put them on DME baggage trucks for delivery to the various WDW resorts. Again, your airline, when you are arriving into MCO, has no impact on the yellow tag usage for checked bags.
Oh thank you for the clarification! I thought that you had to be using one of the participating airlines to have them take your bags to the resort from the airport once you get to Orlando! I didn't know that it didn't matter which airline you are flying in on.

I just feel like my luck something will happen with our bags, but maybe we'll give it a whirl...

Old 03-20-2007, 06:56 AM   #321
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WETWHISTLE View Post
Oh thank you for the clarification! I thought that you had to be using one of the participating airlines to have them take your bags to the resort from the airport once you get to Orlando! I didn't know that it didn't matter which airline you are flying in on.

I just feel like my luck something will happen with our bags, but maybe we'll give it a whirl...

Not to worry!!! I think you will find that the majority of the bags that go missing, do so because of the airlines, not DME. If you are going to trust the airline to get your bags from your home airport to MCO, then letting DME handle it from MCO to the resort is a piece of cake!!!
Old 03-20-2007, 08:10 AM   #322
WETWHISTLE
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Not to worry!!! I think you will find that the majority of the bags that go missing, do so because of the airlines, not DME. If you are going to trust the airline to get your bags from your home airport to MCO, then letting DME handle it from MCO to the resort is a piece of cake!!!
Thanks for the help Now I just need to go search on how to get from Pop Century to Universal one day

Old 03-27-2007, 02:00 PM   #323
Shrunkenheadned
Earning My Ears

Carry Ons's and very early arrival for ME

Hello Everyone!

I am not sure what to do here. We are looking at booking a package that has a Red eye flight into MCO. We would arrive there at 740am. We will only have carry on's with us.

When I went to get a WDTC quote they said that ME would only be available for our return and not that early in the morning. Also said that we would need to have checked bags to use ME. Now I realize that I may have gotten a cast member that does not know what they are talking about. However I am now very confused. If anyone has any hints or has done the above senario I would really appreciate your input.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #324
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrunkenheadned View Post
Hello Everyone!

I am not sure what to do here. We are looking at booking a package that has a Red eye flight into MCO. We would arrive there at 740am. We will only have carry on's with us.

When I went to get a WDTC quote they said that ME would only be available for our return and not that early in the morning. Also said that we would need to have checked bags to use ME. Now I realize that I may have gotten a cast member that does not know what they are talking about. However I am now very confused. If anyone has any hints or has done the above senario I would really appreciate your input.
Your instinct is correct, you got a CM who knows nothing about how DME works. Call again and make the reservation.

Part of the problem is that CMs at the Disney Reservation Center aren't DME experts. You can call DME directly at 866-599-0951. If you are more than 60 days prior to your trip, they can't help you yet, but they can provide you with all the general DME info you'd want, and they WILL be correct about it.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:56 PM   #325
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

DME is a 24/7 operation. You will have no problems with DME and a red eye.

However just note that there is a good chance that your room will not be ready that early.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrunkenheadned View Post
Hello Everyone!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #326
LakeAriel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip 'n Dale Express View Post
Okay, so there still seems to be some confusion about the term, "Participating Airline" so I figured I'd help explain this.

"PARTICIPATING AIRLINE" ONLY REFERS TO THE RESORT AIRLINE CHECK IN DESK.

IT DOES NOT REFER TO GROUND TRANSPORTATION TO/FROM THE AIRPORT, OR INBOUND LUGGAGE TRANSFERS.

Inbound to Walt Disney World:

• Anyone who flies into Orlando International Airport with a Disney resort reservation can take advantage of Disney's Magical Express ground transfers, along with luggage transfers, provided you have specifically made DME reservations prior to arriving at Orlando International Airport.
  • You do NOT need to use the luggage tags to take advantage of the ground transportation. You are more than welcome to claim your luggage at baggage claim and bring it on the bus with you.
  • You can still take advantage of luggage transfers without using the yellow tags. Just proceed directly to Welcome Center and give them your claim tickets. (Be advised, luggage transfers will take slightly more time than usual)
  • You DO need to use the ground transportation to get your luggage transferred.
  • You MUST have reservations prior to arriving at OIA.
Outbound to Orlando International Airport:
  • Anyone who flies out of Orlando International Airport with a Disney resort reservation can take advantage of Disney's Magical Express ground transportation.
  • Only those flying participating airlines may check thier luggage & get boarding passes at the Resort Airline Check-in Desk. EVERYONE must be present (exceptions: Adults over 18 can check in for spouse & kids). Bags may be checked 12 to 3 hours prior to flight departure time. Desk is open from 5am-1pm, daily.
  • Those who are not flying a Participating Airline may still recieve thier boarding passes at thier Lobby Concierge desk, so long as the airline has internet check in.
  • Non-participating and international airline guests will have to bring thier bags onto the motorcoach, and check it at the airport itself.
  • Current Resort Airline Check-In Participating Airlines (Domestic only): American, Continental, Delta/Song, jetBlue, United/Ted, Northwest and Alaska Airlines.
  • A pilot program will begin on December 19th, through the end of March. Guests flying on Air Tran will be able to check in with the airline at the following resorts:
    • Animal Kingdom Lodge
    • Beach Club Resort
    • Boardwalk Inn
    • Contemporary Resort
    • Coronado Springs Resort
    • Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
    • Grand Floridian
    • Polynesian Resort
    • Wilderness Lodge
    • Yacht Club
Despite rumors floating around the internet, these are the ONLY participating airlines for the Disney Resort Airline Check-In Desk. This page will be updated as soon as others get added. But until you see it on this page, they are NOT participating for the RAC desk.

I'm sorry if there was an easier way to get this info out. This was updated mid February, tomorrow is April 1. Has the Airtran participation been extended past today?

Fingers crossed!
LakeAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 12:14 PM   #327
TMB1203
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeAriel View Post
I'm sorry if there was an easier way to get this info out. This was updated mid February, tomorrow is April 1. Has the Airtran participation been extended past today?

Fingers crossed!

I'm wondering the same thing. Right now Airtran has $89. flights from MKE to MCO for our Nov trip. Their return prices are way to high. I'm wondering if I should at least book the departing flight taking advantage of this rate and booking my return flight later, when I can confirm they are a RAC and when their prices are lower. Has anybody booked their departing/returning flights seperatly? Are their any problems with doing that?
TMB1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 02:33 PM   #328
LakeAriel
DIS Veteran

Maybe I'll move the question.
LakeAriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 04:12 PM   #329
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

There has been no official word at this time. When I get the offical word, you can bet the first page will be updated.

For the time being, my GUESS is that yes, it will continue. However, one should double check with the RAC desk prior to departure.
Old 03-31-2007, 08:55 PM   #330
Texas lady
Mouseketeer

A question?

Kinda off topic...

Yes we have make reservations for DME, everything is set to go..
Found out that friends of ours have recently moved to Orlando (lucky dogs).
Anyways would like to rent a car for three days in the middle of our week.
I know the easiest way is to go through Alamo or National at the Disney car care center. ( hopeful thats right) MY question is what is the best way to reserve a car, do i call the center and let them know I need a shuttle from my hotel to the center? any information would be helpful!!

thanks

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: