Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-28-2006, 11:00 AM   #211
Becky G
Mouseketeer

We are flying into Orlando in the morning. We are using ME, but want to pick up our luggage at the airport. Do we still need the yellow tags?

March 31-April 7, 2001--Dolphin
March 30-April 8, 2005--Pop Century
September 29-October 8, 2006--Pop Century

GottaLoveTheMickeyMouSe
Becky G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:45 PM   #212
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky G
We are flying into Orlando in the morning. We are using ME, but want to pick up our luggage at the airport. Do we still need the yellow tags?
Nope. Throw 'em out.

If you put the DME tags on your checked bags, then those bags will never make it to baggage claim, which means you wouldn't be able to get them yourself. They'd be sorted, locked in a cage, loaded into a truck, transported to your resort, and delivered to the inside of your room (with the barcode scanned each time).
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2006, 08:58 AM   #213
casey49781
Mouseketeer

Can someone please answer a few question and set me straight????? Thankyou,,,,In December I am flying in on Spirit Airlines, since it is not a participation airlines, I will need to retrieve my luggage before I go get the bus,,, Then on the return trip I will need to check all my luggage myself,,,Now the other question is if I come on Spirit air where do I go to get the bus after I pick up my luggage??????And on the return trip were do they let you off at???????? Thankyou very much,,,Tipping is not included for the driver so 1.00 plus is standard per bag is that correct...
casey49781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:09 AM   #214
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey49781
Can someone please answer a few question and set me straight????? Thankyou,,,,In December I am flying in on Spirit Airlines, since it is not a participation airlines, I will need to retrieve my luggage before I go get the bus,,, Then on the return trip I will need to check all my luggage myself,,,Now the other question is if I come on Spirit air where do I go to get the bus after I pick up my luggage??????And on the return trip were do they let you off at???????? Thankyou very much,,,Tipping is not included for the driver so 1.00 plus is standard per bag is that correct...
To begin with....'participating airline' only matters when you are leaving WDW and heading home. Those that are flying on a 'participating airline' are able to get their luggage checked right at the resort, and then they get their boarding passes at the same time. It is just like a satellite airline desk.

BUT....anyone, flying into MCO on any airline, can use DME and their luggage delivery service. If you are staying on-site, at a Disney owned resort, you are entitled to that benefit. So....when you make your reservation with DME, you will give them everyone's name that is on your resort reservation. Each person listed will then get two yellow luggage tags, in the one big info packet that DME will send to the primary person. Then, each person attached the yellow tags to their checked luggage. When you get to MCO, you get off the plane, head to Side B of the airport, go down to the bottome level (1) and checkin at the DME desk. Your checked bags will be pulled off before they ever get onto the 'public' baggage carousel, and put on special trucks headed to the resorts. You will checkin, get your vouchers stamped, asked how many bags total were checked, and sent off to the apppropriate bus line, then off to your resort. Several hours later your bags will appear in your room.

Now, as to where Spirt Air gates are.....either Side A or Side B, I can't remember which one for Spirt. But, when you get to the main area of the airport you should head to the lowest level of Side B..that's where DME will be. Your info packet will have great directions in it.

For the return to the airport, you will have to bring your bags with you to the DME bus. They will be put underneath the bus that you are on. Then you will head to the check in area of the airport, same as you normally would.
When you get dropped off, for your return home, you will be dropped off at about the same place you were picked up, and then you will have to hike to your gate.
This is the only part of DME I don't like. A towncar will leave you at the departure level, whereas the DME bus leaves you on the ground level.
ANd yes, $1 per bag is appropriate. Hope I've helped.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 09:19 AM   #215
casey49781
Mouseketeer

Thankyou so much,,Yes we are staying on propery, so in a nutshell ,using the service is very good for arriving ,,,as i can tag my luggage and they will retrieve it and bring to resort later,,,but when departing its not so good,,,can you tell me what service is a good cab for departing as i will be having 2 young kids and dont want them wondering all over airport to find my way,,,,and would like to be dropped off at checkin point...thankyou very much
Old 09-30-2006, 10:08 AM   #216
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Thankyou so much,,Yes we are staying on propery, so in a nutshell ,using the service is very good for arriving ,,,as i can tag my luggage and they will retrieve it and bring to resort later,,,but when departing its not so good,,,can you tell me what service is a good cab for departing as i will be having 2 young kids and dont want them wondering all over airport to find my way,,,,and would like to be dropped off at checkin point...thankyou very much
It's not so much that you are going to be wandering around....they drop at both sides of the airport, A and B, but it's on the lower level. So,you have to go back up to Level 3. Not a big deal. You could do one of two things if you don't want to use DME for your return to the airport. You could have your resort call a cab for you. They will call a cab that is 'approved' so that you shouldn't have to worry about what company you are using. It will cost about $40 or so. Or, you could use a towncar service. They will be about $50, plus tip. You could make the reservation yourself....I have used Tiffany Towncar as well as FL Tours (a board sponsor).

I'm not sure I would spend the money just to avoid the extra walking at the airport though. You could probably tell better how you feel about it once you are there, and have walked it in one direction. If you feel you don't want to do it in reverse for your return, then make other arrangements when you get to the resort.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:14 AM   #217
casey49781
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to say THANKYOU very much, You have been very helpful.....
Old 09-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #218
CleveRocks

Quote:
I understand what you are saying about "wandering around" and would prefer to just be let off at the proper spot, but you will be doing some "wandering around" the airport anyway, no matter what.

When your plane lands, you'll have to find your way from your gate to some sort of ground transportation. Nothing you do can prevent that.

On your way back to the airport, even if you take a taxi that lets you off right near Spirit Airlines' counter, you'll still need to make your way from there and find your own way to security and then to the departure gate to wait for and board your airplane.

So like I said, there's a lot of walking around unfamiliar territory no matter how you get back to the airport, so why spend a lot of money just to skip a little part of that walking?
Old 09-30-2006, 11:52 AM   #219
Lewisc

DIS Veteran

You can usually get a skycap (normal tip is $1-$2 /bag) where the DME bus drops you off. They will check your luggage for you, get you your BP and will give you directions.

Quote:
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #220
CleveRocks

When I used DME and flew Spirit Airlines last May (2005), I used a skycap to help the 6 of us get our luggage to the Spirit counter. The skycap used the elevator and beat us to the counter. I'm not quite sure how he did this, and if it was "kosher" than he did this, but he had all of our stuff up at the counter and the ticket agent waved us to come on up to our luggage and check in, even though there was a small line waiting for service. Maybe he waited in line for us and held our place for us? I don't know, but he more than earned his tip!
Old 09-30-2006, 12:09 PM   #221
casey49781
Mouseketeer

can someone help me on one more issue about getting from disney to seaworld or point me in the right thread direction,,,,,thankyou
Old 09-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #222
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

I used the Lynx system to get from WDW to SeaWorld. You can catch it at the TTC, it's usually about $1.50 pp each way. When you get on the bus, tell the driver you want to get off at SW. It's very easy. Here's the link www.golynx.com
Hope that helps a bit.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:36 PM   #223
Disney Crazy Family
Mouseketeer

My question is Our Nephew is flying down to stay with us
at the disney resort. We will be there several days prior to his arrival
can he use ME and how
Disney Crazy Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 07:54 PM   #224
CleveRocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Crazy Family
My question is Our Nephew is flying down to stay with us at the disney resort. We will be there several days prior to his arrival can he use ME and how
As long as he's named on the room reservation and will be coming in from Orlando International Airport, then he's entitled to use DME. Call Central Reservations if you're more than 60 days from your trip, or DME if you're 60 days or fewer from your trip. Tell them what you just posted here (including the exact day he'll be arriving), and they'll take care of it.
Old 11-01-2006, 12:31 PM   #225
go cowboys
Mouseketeer

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

I have a different question too. I was wondering if we can check our luggage at the resort if we are NOT using ME to get to the airport? Would we have to reserve ME and then check the bags only to "miss" the bus?

Thanks

2013 OKW, 2012 OKW, 2011 Wilderness lodge/SSR, 2010 OKW, 2009 OKW, 2008 OKW, 2007 OKW, 2006 BWV, 2005 OKW, 2005 SSR owner, 2005 WL, 2004 GF Concierge, 2004 GF, 2003 GF, 2002 GF-WL-DL, 2000 DL,1998 Peabody,1996 WL

go cowboys is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: