Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2006, 01:54 PM   #196
CleveRocks
Rock 'n' Roller Coaster worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerin
we will be flying out of long island macarthur airport this coming july on southwest airlines. i plan to use ME. now here is where i am a bit confused. all i need to do is place the yellow luggage tags on my luggage when i check in at the airport and then when we arrive at MCO we just go to the ME desk and check in correct. then all i have to do is go to the resort and see if our room is ready and if not well of to the parks.
Yep, that's pretty much it. Do yourself a favor and put the tags on at home, don't wait 'til you get to the airport. The next time you'll see those bags will be inside your WDW resort room. So at MCO, skip baggage claim, go right to the DME Welcome Center, then they'll tell you which queue to get in for your bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomerin
i have been reading all about ME, if we can save 60 bucks on just one car service trip, i want to do so.

i know i would have to bring my bags and place them under the bus myself and check the bags myself also. on the return trip that is
Yep, pretty much. You get the bags to the bus, and the driver will load them under the bus for you. You actually won't be permitted to do it yourself.

ENJOY!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:39 PM   #197
tomerin
DIS Veteran

CleveRocks---------------thank you very much

that extra money will come in very very handy

POFQ 2007 BW 2007
SSR 2005 POP 2005
Wilderness Lodge 2004 ASM 2002
offsite 1981 offsite 1978
tomerin is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #198
sgmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes, you will most likely be picked up by DME around 8ish. You can check you bags at any time, it just has to be 3 hrs before your flight departure time. I was told, last June at POR, that everyone has to be at the desk in order to get boarding passes, since it is exactly the same as checking in at the airport...where they want to see ID and such. So, plan on having everyone there, in person. I believe you have to check your luggage at the same time you get boarding passes, but could be wrong.
The one thing I would suggest is to get to the airline checkin desk as early as you can. I have seen very long lines around 8ish in the mornings.
I found this information a couple of pages back and had a question for clarification... we will be picked up by DME 3 hours prior to our depature flight take off, but what does it mean "you can check your bags at any time"... and "everyone be at the desk in order to get boarding passes"... ok, this may sound silly, but is this done at our resort or is this at the airport?

From the way I'm understanding it, we can go together somewhere and check our bags and obtain boarding passes - where is this? and then be picked up by DME 3 hours prior to take off for our ride to the airport... Does this sound right?

I just had another one!

sgmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:03 AM   #199
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmom
I found this information a couple of pages back and had a question for clarification... we will be picked up by DME 3 hours prior to our depature flight take off, but what does it mean "you can check your bags at any time"... and "everyone be at the desk in order to get boarding passes"... ok, this may sound silly, but is this done at our resort or is this at the airport?

From the way I'm understanding it, we can go together somewhere and check our bags and obtain boarding passes - where is this? and then be picked up by DME 3 hours prior to take off for our ride to the airport... Does this sound right?
Yes, if you are flying home on one of those 'participating' airlines. If you are, then you can head to the remote airline checkin area at your resort, they will take your checked luggage, tag it, you'll show your IDs, you will be given your boarding passes. It is the same thing as checking in at the airport. So, when you do get to the airport, you just head right to security. You have to be able to checkin at least 3 hrs before your flight. So...if you have a 6:00 am flight, you won't be able to do it because the checkin desk is open from about 5 am to 1 or 2 pm.
Then, once you have checked your bags, gotten your boarding passes, you can head out and 'do your thing' so to speak. Just be sure to leave some extra time to go to bell services to pick up your carryon stuff. This can take up to 25 minutes if there are a lot of people leaving at the same time you are.

If you are not flying on a 'participating' airline, just leave your bags with bell services until it's time to head home. Then, 30 minutes before your are scheduled to be at the DME bus stop, head back to bell services, get your bags, and then go to the bus area. Your bags will be stowed underneath the bus. When you get to the airport, you just go to checkin as usual.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #200
sgmom
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info.! At departure flight isn't until 10:30 am, so sounds like we will be able to take advantage of this. If we do check our luggage at the resort checkin and obtain our boarding passes, then at what time would we need to be at the DME bus stop?

Wait a minute, did I just confuse myself again? We can do the resort checkin (We are flying United / Ted) any time of the morning after 5 am and leave our bags. Then be at the DME bus stop for pickup at 3 hours prior to our depature? (or 7:30 in our case). I'm trying to remember everything! Did I get it right?

I just had another one!

Last edited by sgmom; 09-11-2006 at 03:21 PM.
sgmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:28 PM   #201
dogsmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoolio
We just got back from a 6-night stay at the Polynesian. I posted this information in the "Resorts" forum, but I thought it would be helpful in this thread, as well, for those who may not be travelling on a "participating airline" :

We flew on Air Tran -- not a "participating airline" for which check-in is offered at the resort. Moreover, for our discounted tickets, you couldn't select your seats online until at most 24 hours before the scheduled departure. No problem to make sure my family of 5 sat together for our trip down to Orlando, as I simply went online at home the day before our departure. It was only the day before our departure from the Poly that I realized I wouldn't have the same opportunity for our flights home. I went to the Poly concierge desk to explain my problem, and the woman simply asked for my confirmation number. Without further explanation, she went to the Air Tran website, entered my confirmation number, chose seats on both originating and connecting flights for all 5 of us (in the same row on each flight, 5 across) and promptly printed out all 10 boarding passes for me. I gave her a "Mahalo" and I was on my way.
Thanks for this great tip. We'll be flying Air Tran in December.
dogsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:05 AM   #202
gduvall
DIS Veteran

How early can I check my luggage in for my return home. I don't have a flight on the day I leave until 7:30pm.
gduvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:33 PM   #203
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gduvall
How early can I check my luggage in for my return home. I don't have a flight on the day I leave until 7:30pm.
I believe it's no more than 12 hrs but at least 3 hrs. You can check your luggage through first thing in the morning. In your case, 12 hrs before would be 7:30 that morning. I would head over to the checkin counter before you head to a park for the day.
Old 09-13-2006, 06:21 PM   #204
clkelley
I squealed really loud!!
I got one on my camper too

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink
I believe it's no more than 12 hrs but at least 3 hrs. You can check your luggage through first thing in the morning. In your case, 12 hrs before would be 7:30 that morning. I would head over to the checkin counter before you head to a park for the day.
The counter closes at 1pm, so the latest you could check your luggage is just before 1pm.
clkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 07:26 PM   #205
mikey13v
Mouseketeer

Alaska Air Resort Check-in Problems

Well, it happened again.

We had problems back on 7/24 at the Boardwalk with our check-in, but it finally worked after a long wait.
This time it didn't work at all. We were checking out on 9-6 at POP Century, and the airline check-in employee told us that we could not check-in at the resort because we had been selected for special security screening at the airport. He told us this after he had trouble checking us in for quite some time. I asked him how he knew that this was security related and he couldn't give me an answer. I told him that I thought that he was making it up so that he could get rid of me, and my problem. He then proceeded to show me some litterature that stated "some passengers may not be able to use this service", you know the general, "nothing is ever guarenteed, CYA". He was very rude and made a spectical of me and my family. I, of coarse, responded in kind.
The problem was not security related, it was an ongoing computer interface problem between BAGS and Alaska Air.
Alaska Air became a 'participating airline' back in April. I had problems in July, and again in September. Each time I spoke to the BAGS employees and Alaska Air employees they stated that this has been an ongoing problem. This doesn't seem to be a priority to either party.
We are going to WDW again in December, I won't count on the airline check-in to work out for us this time, but if it doesn't I will discontinue to use Alaska Airlines for travel to Orlando. We had been fairly faithful to Alaska, they are the only airline with direct flights between Seattle and Orlando, and then the joining in the airline check-in had kept us coming back. We will begin to use American Air, or Delta. They have cheaper flights and airline check-in. The convience of the resort airline check-in is more important to us than having connections. We rent a car, and it saves energy and time at the airport.
1996 July, Disneyland Tropicana
1997 June, ASSports (Honeymoon)
1998 August, Disneyland Tropicana
1999 June, Disneyland Tropicana
2000 July, Disneyland Tropicana
2001 Feb, Best Value Inn; Aug, Super 8(formerly Best Value Inn); Nov, Best Inn(formerly Best Value Inn, Super8)
2002 June, Disneyland Tropicana
2003 August, Disneyland Tropicana
2004 April, Disneyland Tropicana; Sept, ASSports (Hurricane Jeanne); Dec, Disneyland Tropicana
2005 Mar, Quality Inn; April, CSR (purchased DVC); Sept, ASSports (free dining with Softball tournament); Nov, Disneyland Hotel; Dec, OKW studio (first DVC stay)
2006 Feb, POFQ/SSR studio; July, Seaworld Renaissance/Hilton/BWV studio; Aug-Sept, POP (free dining); Nov30-Dec3, DCL Bahamas; Dec3-Dec9, BWV 1bdr
2007 June, Disneyland Grand Californian; August, Pop (free dining); Sept, 2 trips BWV&OKW; Oct, 3 trips OKW, OKW, OKW; Nov, SSR
2008 April, AKV SV; July, Pop & SSR; August, Pop (free dining); Sept, BWV; Dec, Disneyland Tropicana

2009 April, VWL & BWV
2009 August, Pop (free dining) & BLT studio bay lake view

Last edited by mikey13v; 09-20-2006 at 07:47 PM.
mikey13v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 02:38 PM   #206
paulmc80
DIS Veteran

Sorry to hear about your problems using the resort airline check-in at WDW. That sounds like a rather unpleasant experience while on vacation. Hope its much better next time.
paulmc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:04 AM   #207
poohluvrs
Dinglehopper
Bah-bah-ree-no

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoolio
We just got back from a 6-night stay at the Polynesian. I posted this information in the "Resorts" forum, but I thought it would be helpful in this thread, as well, for those who may not be travelling on a "participating airline" :

We flew on Air Tran -- not a "participating airline" for which check-in is offered at the resort. Moreover, for our discounted tickets, you couldn't select your seats online until at most 24 hours before the scheduled departure. No problem to make sure my family of 5 sat together for our trip down to Orlando, as I simply went online at home the day before our departure. It was only the day before our departure from the Poly that I realized I wouldn't have the same opportunity for our flights home. I went to the Poly concierge desk to explain my problem, and the woman simply asked for my confirmation number. Without further explanation, she went to the Air Tran website, entered my confirmation number, chose seats on both originating and connecting flights for all 5 of us (in the same row on each flight, 5 across) and promptly printed out all 10 boarding passes for me. I gave her a "Mahalo" and I was on my way.
Wow! We're stayin gconcierge, could I have them do online check in w/ our participating airline & print boarding passes as well? thanks
poohluvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:06 AM   #208
poohluvrs
Dinglehopper
Bah-bah-ree-no

When you check your luggage at the resort for departure, how does it get from the resort to your flight?
poohluvrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:50 AM   #209
goofy4tink
Likes little devils

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohluvrs
When you check your luggage at the resort for departure, how does it get from the resort to your flight?
If you are flying home on one of the 'participating' airlines, then you go to the airline checkin area at the resort, usually off the lobby area, you give them your ID, they will tag your checked luggage (same as at the airport), you will get your boarding pass and you are good to go. The luggage is transported via a truck to the airport. You won't see it again until you reach your home airport. Just remember....the resort airline checkin is the same thing as checking in at the airport..it is a 'remote airline checkin'...so you handle it the same way..your entire party has to be there, with appropriate IDs in hand.
Old 09-25-2006, 04:50 PM   #210
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

It should be noted that if you do Online Check-in, you CANNOT utilize the Resort Airline Check-In Desk.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: