Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2014, 04:06 PM   #1501
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford View Post
I am trying to figure out transportation for my Nov trip. Tell me if this plan can even be done or makes any sense.

We are actually starting our trip this year at Universal (gasp!). So I was thinking of renting a car at MCO on the day we arrive, driving to US, return the rental car to MCO two days later, and then take ME to Disney.

1. Can I even take ME on a day my flight doesn't arrive?
2. Does it make more sense to just pick a rental agency at Disney where I can return my car?
3. Or just nix the rental car and take shuttles from MCO and US?

Any guidance would be lovely.
We have done many split stays. This is all jmho and assuming you're staying onsite at Universal which for us is the only way to go. Your room key is like an unlimited fast pass with the exception of a couple rides. It's awesome to practically walk right onto every ride.
Universal hotels charge a parking fee and having a car is really not necessary so we find it easier to hire a car service to take us back and forth to Universal. Also we find it very difficult to do Disney after having a Universal room key. That key instantly makes us spoiled with no waiting in lines and makes lines at WDW all the more painful to wait in.
Technically you could get ME on your check in day but it would be very time consuming to drop off car and wait for ME bus. A private car would get you there much more efficiently.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #1502
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
We have done many split stays. This is all jmho and assuming you're staying onsite at Universal which for us is the only way to go. Your room key is like an unlimited fast pass with the exception of a couple rides. It's awesome to practically walk right onto every ride.
Universal hotels charge a parking fee and having a car is really not necessary so we find it easier to hire a car service to take us back and forth to Universal. Also we find it very difficult to do Disney after having a Universal room key. That key instantly makes us spoiled with no waiting in lines and makes lines at WDW all the more painful to wait in.
Technically you could get ME on your check in day but it would be very time consuming to drop off car and wait for ME bus. A private car would get you there much more efficiently.
Thank you. Yes, we are staying onsite, mostly for early entry! HA. As I was typing my question, it did seem quite time consuming. HA.

thanks!
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #1503
bellenbuzz
DIS Veteran

Question Does SPIRIT Airline participate in Magic Express ??

I'm confused .....
If they don't participate, how do we utilize ME bus ??
Please let me know...
Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 AM   #1504
Horace Horsecollar
DVC members represent a unique category of Disney guests
The results can be accurate to within 2%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellenbuzz View Post
I'm confused .....
Please let me know...
Read the first post in this sticky thread.

The term "participating" only refers to Resort Airline Check-in (the optional "remote skycap" service at Disney resorts at the end of you stay).

There is no such thing as a list of "participating" airlines for Disney's Magical Express transportation and inbound luggage service. You can use Disney's Magical Express with ANY airline with flights at Orlando International Airport (MCO).
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 AM   #1505
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellenbuzz View Post
I'm confused .....
Please let me know...
If an airline doesn't participate in DME, it means that you can't head to the RAC desk, get a boarding pass printed out, and hand off your bags...all at your resort. You will have to take your bags on the bus with you (the DME bus) and then check your bags and get your boarding pass at MCO....the old fashioned way.
For inbound flights (arrivals into MCO) it makes not one bit of difference what airline you're on...you don't even have to arrive on a plane! Everyone gets to ride the DME bus to WDW.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:28 PM   #1506
bellenbuzz
DIS Veteran

Thumbs up Thanks...Feel Better

Got it, on arrival to MCO we DO NOT need to retrieve our luggage, Disney will get our luggage & deliver to resort....
On return leaving MCO, we leave our resort & take our luggage with us on the ME bus and check-in at airport (like you said) the old fashioned way....
Well, that's not to bad then

Thanks for easing my mind !
Old 08-10-2014, 01:11 PM   #1507
Horace Horsecollar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
If an airline doesn't participate in DME, it means <snip>
Oh goofy4tink... you of all people. There's no such thing as "an airline doesn't participate in DME" at MCO... only airlines that don't participate in RAC.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:17 PM   #1508
asmit4
DIS Veteran

We have a split stay. Here is what I am hoping to do- can this be done?

We arrive on a thursday in October and check into SSR. I want to take DME on that day.

We 'check out' on Monday morning. I want to take DME BACK to the airport (but I have NO FLIGHT to catch)...I want to pick up a car at the airport and drive back to another hotel for our split stay. Can this be done?

Do I just give them a 'dummy' flight so I can have my pick up time for MDE be what I want it to be?
November 2013- Wyndham Bonnet Creek/AS Sports
October 2014- DVC- Saratoga Springs/Wyndham BC

Last edited by asmit4; 08-10-2014 at 10:36 PM.
asmit4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:15 PM   #1509
asmit4
DIS Veteran

Another question- can I check our carseat, yellow tag it and have DME bring it to our resort? I'd like to check it curbside so I don't have to carry it very far in the airport. I presume if I yellow tag it (the bag) then I can expect it to arrive same as the other luggage correct?
November 2013- Wyndham Bonnet Creek/AS Sports
October 2014- DVC- Saratoga Springs/Wyndham BC
asmit4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:46 PM   #1510
Alesia
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmit4 View Post
Another question- can I check our carseat, yellow tag it and have DME bring it to our resort? I'd like to check it curbside so I don't have to carry it very far in the airport. I presume if I yellow tag it (the bag) then I can expect it to arrive same as the other luggage correct?
You can, but be aware that airport baggage handlers can be very rough.
if I'm being completely honest, I would never be able to put my child in a carseat that had been checked. They can develop microscopic cracks that can't be seen, but will cause the seat to fail in the event of a crash.

Alesia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:57 AM   #1511
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
Oh goofy4tink... you of all people. There's no such thing as "an airline doesn't participate in DME" at MCO... only airlines that don't participate in RAC.
Question of semantics here......of course DME isn't RAC..but the vast majority of people (probably close to 99%) believe they are the same thing. I tend to get tired of trying to explain the difference...when I do, I get no end of flack from posters about 'Well, it's covered under DME so it's the same..yada, yada'. So....for all intents and purposes, my statement is correct. Geez Louise.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 PM   #1512
parkhopmom
Earning My Ears

question about luggage fees

I see when you use RAC you need to call a number to pay for luggage fees. I am a Delta American Express cardholder and my bags are free. So, will they know this at the RAC desk, or will I still need to call that number? Has anyone had this experience?
parkhopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #1513
Horace Horsecollar

It's just like checking in at the airport.

The RAC skycaps at the Disney resorts access the same airline passenger records as airport skycaps. They know who has pre-paid, who has not yet paid, and who gets their bag fees waived.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 PM   #1514
parkhopmom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horace Horsecollar View Post
It's just like checking in at the airport.

The RAC skycaps at the Disney resorts access the same airline passenger records as airport skycaps. They know who has pre-paid, who has not yet paid, and who gets their bag fees waived.
Thank you for the quick reply!
parkhopmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #1515
Daisy326
Earning My Ears

I wonder why all airlines don't participate?
Daisy326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: