Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2005, 11:05 PM   #1
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!
I met lots of DIS'ers during my purple-panted tenure
I'm just fine with being terrific instead

Disney's Magical Express/RAC - What "Participating Airline" Really Means!

THIS POST WAS LAST UPDATED ON July 19, 2011. Please read the ENTIRE first post before posting your question. Thanks!

Okay, so there still seems to be some confusion about the term, "Participating Airline" so I figured I'd help explain this.

"PARTICIPATING AIRLINE" ONLY REFERS TO THE RESORT AIRLINE CHECK IN DESK.

IT DOES NOT REFER TO GROUND TRANSPORTATION TO/FROM THE AIRPORT, OR INBOUND LUGGAGE TRANSFERS.

Inbound to Walt Disney World:
  • Anyone who flies into Orlando International Airport with a Disney resort reservation can take advantage of Disney's Magical Express ground transfers, along with luggage transfers, provided you have specifically made DME reservations prior to arriving at Orlando International Airport.
  • You do NOT need to use the luggage tags to take advantage of the ground transportation. You are more than welcome to claim your luggage at baggage claim and bring it on the bus with you.
  • You can still take advantage of luggage transfers without using the yellow tags. Just proceed directly to Welcome Center and give them your claim tickets. (Be advised, luggage transfers will take slightly more time than usual)
  • You DO need to use the ground transportation to get your luggage transferred.
  • You MUST have reservations prior to arriving at OIA.
Outbound to Orlando International Airport:
  • Anyone who flies out of Orlando International Airport with a Disney resort reservation can take advantage of Disney's Magical Express ground transportation.
  • Only those flying participating airlines may check thier luggage & get boarding passes at the Resort Airline Check-in Desk. EVERYONE must be present (exceptions: Adults over 18 can check in for spouse & kids under the age of 18, but not in-laws, grandparents, brother/sister, etc).
  • Bags may be checked the day of departure, up until no later than 3 hours prior to flight departure time. (Bag check process must be COMPLETE by the 3hr mark, regardless of what time the guest gets in line) Please note that this information is subject to change without notice. There have been times when the 3hr mark has been increased to 4hrs. Please check with your particular RAC desk for more details.
  • Policy used to be that bags had to be checked no more than 12 hrs before flight departure...this seems to be no longer true.
  • Desk is open from 5am-1pm, daily.
  • **NOTE** jetBlue requires passengers travelling with lap babies to check in at the airport and not a remote site.
  • Luggage MUST be under 50lbs. They do have a scale, and will weigh bags. They are UNABLE to check bags over 50lbs. There are NO exceptions to this rule.
  • If your carrier charges for checked luggage or excess luggage, you can still utilize the RAC desk. Simply call BAGS (the company that operates the RAC desk) prior to checking in at the desk. You may pay your fee over the phone using your Visa, MasterCard, or American Express card. (You can find the number for BAGS listed on your DME paperwork, or by dialing 0 from your resort telephone)
  • There may be times where the TSA requires a guest to check in directly at the airport. The RAC desk has no control over this.
  • All seats are pre-assigned by the airlines, and cannot be changed by the RAC desk. All seat changes must be done at the airport.
  • Those who are not flying a Participating Airline may still recieve thier boarding passes at thier Lobby Concierge desk, so long as the airline has internet check in.
  • Non-participating and international airline guests will have to bring thier bags onto the motorcoach, and check it at the airport itself.
  • Current Resort Airline Check-In Participating Airlines (Domestic only):
    • * Airtran Airways
      * Alaska Airlines
      *American Airlines
      *Delta
      *Jetblue
      *Southwest
      *United
      *US Airways
Despite rumors floating around the internet, these are the ONLY participating airlines for the Disney Resort Airline Check-In Desk. This page will be updated as soon as others get added. But until you see it on this page, they are NOT participating for the RAC desk.

**Please be advised that all information is subject to change without notice.

Last edited by goofy4tink; 08-11-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: updated Participating airlines
Chip 'n Dale Express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
Jillpie
Can you package some Main St. music and send it to me?

I've been wondering about something Tyler...as a bus driver, do you mind people that want to retrieve their own luggage and store it on the bus with them? I am one that would worry it wouldn't get there, as we are going on a cruise shortly after our Disney stay and want to keep it with us. Your thoughts?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-26-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!

You do not need to utilize the luggage transfers for either way. You are always more than welcome to claim your luggage, and bring it with you on the bus. Just realize that when you take the luggage onto the bus with you, that Disney will not be covering gratuities for either the motorcoach driver or bell services at the resort.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:40 PM   #4
Briarmom
Bessie Robindale
Larry's been done. Laird is refreshing!
I always thought it was my farsighted left eye that did me in
Knows about bone folders

Ok, I don't want to entirely change the subject, but just a quick question...say you are staying offsite the first few days of your trip (don't ask ) and then transferring to an onsite hotel (don't know how we are doing that, either). Can you take ME just on the way BACK to the airport? I don't have luggage tag.

Thanks!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:06 AM   #5
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!

Yes, you can utilize DME one way. At some point during your Disney resort stay, visit the Lobby Concierge desk, and they will make the arrangements. Just make sure to have your flight number and time with you.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:31 AM   #6
Canadiancruiser2
Mouseketeer

outbound DME for DCL cruiser

Hi Tyler,

Sorry this is off-topic but.....Can I book a one-way outbound DME to the airport if I want to catch the DCL bus at the airport? I was able to get my TA to book our inbound trip to the resort from MCO but she wasn't able to book our outbound trip. She told me that since we aren't flying out and do not have our flight time, she could not book ME for us. But we are taking a disney cruise after our resort stay, could we not get a ride to the airport? The DCL bus doesn't pick up at value resorts and the time it does pick up at AKL is too late for us. Is it possible to get pick up by DME at the value resort to get to MCO and how do I go about arranging it?

Thanks

Last edited by Canadiancruiser2; 10-27-2005 at 12:37 AM.
Canadiancruiser2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 12:53 AM   #7
Briarmom
Bessie Robindale
Larry's been done. Laird is refreshing!
I always thought it was my farsighted left eye that did me in
Knows about bone folders

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #8
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancruiser2
Can I book a one-way outbound DME to the airport if I want to catch the DCL bus at the airport? I was able to get my TA to book our inbound trip to the resort from MCO but she wasn't able to book our outbound trip. She told me that since we aren't flying out and do not have our flight time, she could not book ME for us. But we are taking a disney cruise after our resort stay, could we not get a ride to the airport? The DCL bus doesn't pick up at value resorts and the time it does pick up at AKL is too late for us. Is it possible to get pick up by DME at the value resort to get to MCO and how do I go about arranging it?s
(My hand on one side of my mouth) Pick a flight, any flight, any airline, leaving before your cruise bus leaves from the airport (use Travelocity dot com to help find a flight) and supply that flight number and time to your travel agent to book ME back to the airport with.

Another choice, modify/reserve your ME return trip after you get to the resort. Very easy.

DCL buses from WDW are supposed to meet specific cruises. Are there any other resorts you can get to that have a DCL bus that you could use? If a problem occurs with your DCL trip all the way from WDW to Port Canaveral (correct me if I am wrong) Disney will get you to the ship. If something goes wrong on ME and you miss the DCL bus from MCO to Port C. you are out of luck.

Last edited by seashoreCM; 10-27-2005 at 12:16 PM.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 03:25 AM   #9
Canadiancruiser2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Another choice, modify/reserve your ME return trip after you get to the resort. Very easy.
Thanks for the info seashoreCM. If this is a possibility then that's wonderful.......But I read on one of Official DME post saying that you must arrange for DME prior to arriving. Does this apply to just the inbound trip or does it also apply to outbound trips too? If I can arrange for pick up when at my resort, then I will just do it then.
Old 10-28-2005, 04:20 PM   #10
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiancruiser2
Thanks for the info seashoreCM. If this is a possibility then that's wonderful.......But I read on one of Official DME post saying that you must arrange for DME prior to arriving. Does this apply to just the inbound trip or does it also apply to outbound trips too? If I can arrange for pick up when at my resort, then I will just do it then.
It means that you must have a DME reservation prior to arriving at Orlando Int'l Airport to get a ride to Disney. For the return journey, you also need a reservation, but you can make it same-day.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:54 PM   #11
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!

Just a Bump.
Old 01-19-2006, 05:59 PM   #12
Rock'n Robin
Disney Queen

When we return to the airport (non-participating airline, unless fares change) can we be dropped off at the curb and utilize the skycap services instead of waiting in the line inside?
I like the idea to go to the lobby concierge and ask to get the boarding passes--wonder if non-concierge guests can do this?
Robin M.
Rock'n Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 12:17 AM   #13
Chip 'n Dale Express
Can't stay put!

DME drops off on Level 1... Ticketing is on Level 3. All you have to do is take the elevator to Level 3, and go outside. Nothing says you can't go back outside once you've gone inside

And yes, "Lobby Concierge" is the concierge for the entire resort. I think Club Level concierge is what you were thinking of.
Old 01-24-2006, 07:33 AM   #14
d4est
The Tag Fairy is really Ghostbuster Guy in Orange!
Average everyday sane/sick psycho supergoddess
It's just a coinkie-dink

Quick question about:
Current Resort Airline Check-In Participating Airlines: American, Continental, Delta/Song, jetBlue, United/Ted

I just got my DME booklet with tags. On the last page it says (for RESORT AIRLINE CHECK-IN SERVICE) "At this time, the service is only available for guests flying domestically* on the airlines listed below:
--American Continental Delta (including Song) United (including Ted)
Please visit the Resort Airline Check-In desk at your Resort for further information."

Ok, I am flying Jetblue. Is the info at the top of this thread correct & the booklet just needs updating?

Thanks.

2/11 1st cruise-DCL 4 night Dream~2/10 February Fury wrecks our plans! Did Tampa family visit with Busch Gardens etc~2/09 Hard Rock Hotel and Discovery Cove
12/07 Disney’s AKL & Universal HRH~2/06 Coronado Springs! Totally Awesome!!!~2/05 Universal RPR…FOTL Rocks!!!~2/04 Marriott OWC Sea world/Bush Gardens
2/03 Offsite w/family Sea World~4/1995 Offsite (Timeshare) Sea World & MK

Make your own kind of music, sing your own special song...
d4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 10:07 AM   #15
Mouse-n-Mini
DIS Veteran

Maybe you've already answered this, but when our flight arrives in orlando (praying it does arrive safely!), is the magical express bus waiting to retrieve us at a specific time, or do the buses come every so many minutes to pick new guests up when they're ready to leave the airport (like the buses that go to the parks)? I was wandering if you've got to be at a specific place at a certain time so you don't get left behind. That's my question. Thanks!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: