Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Creative DISigns
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2006, 10:56 PM   #91
Daydreamer64
DIS Veteran

Hi All!
Here's our shirts from our trip this month.

I'm not worried about wearing these at the parks- we get lots of attention ( as we always do when we wear these at the parks ) and we heard over and over from the CM's-

"Hey, if you'd seperate your colors you wouldn't have that mess to contend with!"

and " Who does the laundry in your house-?- DH points to me and the Cm's smile and say things like, "I thought that HE did it!" pointing at DH!

This last trip I heard a few people say, "Hey, there's a hidden Mickey!"
Well, not quite hidden but they didn't expect to see them on our shirts.
We had fun making them together.

Daydreamer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 09:49 AM   #92
DisneyPhD
Too old is when you stop breathing.
Keep them supported or else they will make you pay later
I sometimes worry every stupid thing I say is going to follow me around forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiznEeyore
That looks AMAZING!!! I love the colors and design! Any tips or tricks you could share to make it turn out so well?

Ah, thanks.

Here is my one and only real tip. An easy Mickey pattern is one of those Mickey mouse plates that you can get for the kids meals at many of the CS places at WDW. (with the main dish in the big circle, and treats in the ears.) We took a bunch home from our last trip, DD loved them. We just traced them on the shirt. It was just the right size (a bit big for the kids shirts, but it worked.)

We also took one of the Mickey bases from a McDonalds toys that came out last year and traced it on the shoulders so there is little hidden Mickey's on them. Pretty cute.

My shirt was a jjill one and it has embroidery in the inside instead of a tag. It stayed white and I love how it looks, Use a shirt you like how it fits because you are going to love wearing this later.

I love everybody's shirts. We are doing this again next year. It really was Much easier then it appeared at 1st.
DisneyPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #93
DiznEeyore
Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member
Dedicated Disney Scrapbooker
Thanks for un-confusing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPhD
Ah, thanks.

Here is my one and only real tip. An easy Mickey pattern is one of those Mickey mouse plates that you can get for the kids meals at many of the CS places at WDW. (with the main dish in the big circle, and treats in the ears.) We took a bunch home from our last trip, DD loved them. We just traced them on the shirt. It was just the right size (a bit big for the kids shirts, but it worked.)

We also took one of the Mickey bases from a McDonalds toys that came out last year and traced it on the shoulders so there is little hidden Mickey's on them. Pretty cute.

My shirt was a jjill one and it has embroidery in the inside instead of a tag. It stayed white and I love how it looks, Use a shirt you like how it fits because you are going to love wearing this later.

I love everybody's shirts. We are doing this again next year. It really was Much easier then it appeared at 1st.
Thanks for the details! I'll definitely have to grab a couple of those plates on our trip next month -- dh and ds have agreed to help me make and wear these on our trip next year.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:38 AM   #94
Lesley
DIS Veteran

DisneyPhD, I was about to post the same tip. I'm going to a tie dye party today and used the kids' meal containers for our Mickey shape. I only have 2 of our 5 shirts stitched and banded (plus I have one other shirt and 2 dresses that aren't getting Mickey's) and I'm supposed to be there in 15 min. But its a 2 day thing....so I can go tomorrow again if I need to.

I think the thing with dyeing is to be sure you're not blending colors that don't blend well....and using squirt bottles to apply the dye gives you a lot more control. If you don't saturate your item with dye in the area where its banded there will be more definition. You can blend colors anywhere, not just at the banding, but make sure you use colors that are next to one another on the color wheel or aren't farther apart than one color (or in roygbiv). Its as simple as preschool color mixing play, though hopefully you won't use quite as much trial and error as a 3yo so you'll end up with a lot less muddy brown. Basically keep your red, orange and purple away from your green....make sure you have a transition area of blue or yellow (you'll get turquoise or orange in the transition area, respectively). Of course if you band and squirt very carefully you can leave a white area between those colors and they'll turn out fine...you can have purple, red or orange next to green. Its risky though and I don't recommend trying it your first time. I won't be.

Now off to load tables, supplies and 4 kids into the van...
Old 10-07-2006, 02:06 AM   #95
applechips
DIS Veteran

Lesley! I am excited to see your shirts!!! I will be there tomorrow, see you then?

Caribbean Beach Resort Dec 10-15, 2010 | Nov 28 ASMu then November 29 to December 4, 2009 Polynesian!!! | ASSports Dec. 13-20, 2008|Off site Cypress Pointe (never again!) & ASMusic Oct. 7-11, 2008|ASMovies Dec. 2-5, 2007 |Offsite, Windsor Hills Oct. 2007|ASMusic & Poly Sept. 2007|Offsite--Doubletree, April 2007|ASMovies, & Poly, Concierge MKView!, Dec. 2006 |Pop Century & Contemporary Resort Tower--Dec. 2005 | Pirate Cake at GF Breakfast Sept. 2007 | Cinderella Cake at 1900Park Fare, December 2008
applechips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 03:24 AM   #96
applechips
DIS Veteran

ok, so I went to a tie dye party yesterday and I made 4 shirts...one for me and my dh and one each for my 2 year old son and my 5 year old daughter. I sewed the Mickey head on the front only of the shirts and then did the tie die spiral. I dyed the Mickey head black and did blue and purple on the other parts for all of the shirts. I got a bit overzealous with the black dye and used too much of it on all but 1 of the shirts and so the black ran a bit and the Mickey head isn't very clear.

My shirt seems to have been the worst one...the head is even crooked! oops! My son's shirt turned out the best I think. I used Procion fiber reactive dyes for this. I am going to redo my shirt and possibly my husband's shirt to get the heads to look a little better. (are these pics huge? sorry!!)

Daughter's shirt

Son's shirt (turned out the best I think)

Husband's shirt

My shirt

All of us wearing them December 2006

Caribbean Beach Resort Dec 10-15, 2010 | Nov 28 ASMu then November 29 to December 4, 2009 Polynesian!!! | ASSports Dec. 13-20, 2008|Off site Cypress Pointe (never again!) & ASMusic Oct. 7-11, 2008|ASMovies Dec. 2-5, 2007 |Offsite, Windsor Hills Oct. 2007|ASMusic & Poly Sept. 2007|Offsite--Doubletree, April 2007|ASMovies, & Poly, Concierge MKView!, Dec. 2006 |Pop Century & Contemporary Resort Tower--Dec. 2005 | Pirate Cake at GF Breakfast Sept. 2007 | Cinderella Cake at 1900Park Fare, December 2008

Last edited by applechips; 08-03-2007 at 02:22 AM.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:17 PM   #97
wheelerkidz3
Come on over and join us!!

applechips...i love the colors! i did some shirts this weekend too! i wanted shirts that had a halloween color scheme..since we will be going to mnnshp...i think your colors are great! I did just a plain orange...and im not too impressed with the way they turned out! i apparently did NOT use enough dye...it was the first time we have tie dyed... and i guess i was afraid that i'd use too much! well.....i did not use enough...and half of our shirts are still white!!! the mickey heads did come out very distinct though...you can definitely tell that is what it's supposed to be.
any tips on the dyeing process? do i have to squirt the bottle directly into the folds? our shirts were dripping with dye when we were done...but still didn't color much of it .
and how did you get the spiral so good? i don't think i'm folding my shirt right for the spiral design? i tried to follow the directions on the other thread, but it still doesn't look right!

wheelerkidz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 02:35 PM   #98
applechips
DIS Veteran

Well i know that the fiber reactive dyes are much more vivid than any other dyes I've seen. You do have to get the nose of the bottle directly into the folds and root around to make sure there is no white left...if that is what you want. I used ALOT of dye, at least 8oz of each color for two shirts. One tip is not to overdye the Mickey part, that is where I went wrong.

And the spiral...it takes practice, that is probably the 10th time I had folded the spiral. You can look at the directions here:
http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/spiralfold.shtml

good luck!

Old 11-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #99
jordancej
Howdy from the Great State of Texas!

Here is my shirt:

2004 - December - POFQ / 2005 - December - POFQ / 2006 - October - POP - 1st Solo Trip!! / 2008 - May - POP - Celebrated 40th B-Day! - 2nd Solo Trip! / 2008 - Dec - POP - 3rd Solo Trip! / 2009 - May - POP - B-Day Trip - 4th Solo Trip! / 2009 - Sept - All-Star Sports 5th Solo Trip! / 2010 - May B-Day Trip! - Pop - 6th Solo Trip! / 2011 - Mom & Daughter Trip! - POFQ! / 2011 - D23 Magic & Merriment Dec Trip with Best Friend! - POP / 2012 - Sister & Niece Trip! - POFQ! / 2012 - Planning B-day Trip in May! - POFQ!

jordancej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #100
ppony
Artist in residence

(cross posting on both threads) My first time doing this dying. I'm an artist but my mediums are oils and pastels, not fabric dye. So I was nervous. My tip would be that instructions say to use a lot of dye. "If it's not dripping dye, you're not using enough" is what I read. Do that, but be careful around the Mickey head and don't saturate it as much and try to keep the other dies further away from the head if you can. It's tough though. These still look okay I think. We'll wear them. If I had time and $ to do a few more, I would. I'm such a perfectionist, I'm not totally happy.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 11:33 PM   #101
applechips
DIS Veteran

I think they look great ppony!!

Old 12-02-2006, 02:41 PM   #102
amytheobald
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by applechips
ok, so I went to a tie dye party yesterday and I made 4 shirts...one for me and my dh and one each for my 2 year old son and my 5 year old daughter. I sewed the Mickey head on the front only of the shirts and then did the tie die spiral. I dyed the Mickey head black and did blue and purple on the other parts for all of the shirts. I got a bit overzealous with the black dye and used too much of it on all but 1 of the shirts and so the black ran a bit and the Mickey head isn't very clear.

My shirt seems to have been the worst one...the head is even crooked! oops! My son's shirt turned out the best I think. I used Procion fiber reactive dyes for this. I am ging to redo my shirt and possibly my husband's shirt to get the heads to look a little better. (are thes pics huge? sorry!!)

Daughter's shirt

Son's shirt (turned out the best I think)

Husband's shirt

My shirt

I think the colors are great..if you want more defintion on your mickey you may be able to salvage it with some bleach (a bleach pen and a paint brush) I think it looks good though
amytheobald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #103
ulittletinker
ready to set sail

bump save

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/em1yzg5cjkznguy3.png[/img]

PINK PIRATE FOR BREAST CANCER AWARNESS

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/sgp9u9epalfctf73.png[/img]

:
ulittletinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 08:59 AM   #104
jjatwdw
DIS Veteran

Just subscribing

DISNEY MAGIC!
Disneyland - dozens of times - 1967-2004
WDW - June, 2005 FWC & DCL - 4-night Wonder
WDW - May, 2006 OKW & DCL - 7-night Magic
WDW - May, 2007 OKW
WDW - May, 2010 OKW

WDW - May, 2011 OKW

jjatwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 03:20 PM   #105
shellynn24
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordancej View Post
Here is my shirt:

What did you put around the Mickey head? It looks like studs or "jewels" or something. It's really pretty!

Lotsa offsite trips as a child~'00 Offsite- First trip alone as an adult~'02 DS's First Trip CR ~'03 ASMu~'05 DD's first trip POR ~'07 Baby DD's first trip BWV ~'10 We finally get to go back!'11 Kids Free Vacation
shellynn24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: