Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Creative DISigns
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2006, 07:35 AM   #76
MomtoEmIs&Ow
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRMommy
I showed my DH these directions and he loved the way you all got the Mickey shapes to come out but he wanted to do the spiral tie die technique so he "tweaked" these instructions. If any of you are interested, I took step by step pics of that technique and could post them along with the final results. The spiral wasn't as noticable on the kids shirts but came out really good on the adults. And Mickey stayed just as sharp.

I would love to see how you guys did this! Thanks
MomtoEmIs&Ow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 02:52 PM   #77
intrep93
Mouseketeer

I did a swirl pattern too - mostly because I was having a bear of a time trying to get the "bullseye" pattern banded up correctly. Usually when we do that patter we grab both layers of shirt in the center front, and then rubberband every few inches all the way to the bottom, but the only way you could do this with the mickey head is to sew both layers together for the mickey - has anyone ever tried this? Also, my mickey head didn't come out 100% perfect. How do you get him REALLY sharp? Any helpful hints?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-29-2006, 02:55 PM   #78
MNRMommy
I'm an acquired taste!

Quote:
Originally Posted by intrep93
I did a swirl pattern too - mostly because I was having a bear of a time trying to get the "bullseye" pattern banded up correctly. Usually when we do that patter we grab both layers of shirt in the center front, and then rubberband every few inches all the way to the bottom, but the only way you could do this with the mickey head is to sew both layers together for the mickey - has anyone ever tried this? Also, my mickey head didn't come out 100% perfect. How do you get him REALLY sharp? Any helpful hints?
We only wanted Mickey on one side so it was a little easier for us but when I post the pictures later tonight you will see that it is probably very easy to get them on front and back. I will try to post the pics after my DD's soccer practice tonight. Our Mickey came out really sharp though. I am really proud of DH for his first attempt cause they are awesome in my humble opinion.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:40 PM   #79
MNRMommy
I'm an acquired taste!

Not wanting to hijack this thread with what turned out to be a pretty long post i have a new thread with the spiral step by steps. You can all find it here:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1210609
Old 08-30-2006, 12:30 PM   #80
mimif1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimfred
I made each of us a Mickey tye dye for our trip last week. They turned out great, and we really enjoyed wearing them. Thanks so much for everyone's help!

Here's a pic of us wearing them at Pop Century:

I really love your shirts! The Mickey is the most defined I've seen yet. Did you do anything special to keep the shape so perfect? Most of the ones I've seen, the ears kind of bleed into the head part a bit. We're trying these next weekend and I hope they turn out as good as these!

mimif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #81
CraftyMouse
I am ever so grateful for the technology that has allowed that little blurry spot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz72
As far as copyright infringement...wouldn't that have to do more with selling the merchandise??
This is correct. As long as you aren't selling anything with Mickey's image or using Mickey to promote your business (the day care center who had Mickey painted on the outside of their building and were asked by Disney to remove it, for example) you'll be fine. I make a different kind of shirt with a 3-circle Mickey. We've worn them to the parks many, many times and have had no problem.

The country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in. -Theodore Roosevelt
Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
It does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds. - Samuel Adams
CraftyMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:35 PM   #82
PiperPizzaz
DIS Veteran

Ok here's our shirts we wore last week. It isn't a great picture, it was hard to find one where we didn't have our son in front of us. His turned out ok but kind of faded into each others. Dh's and mine turned out good.

Our Family Trips: 05/99-CBR, 06/01 off site, '03 off site, 08/06-CBR, 09/07-POP, 04/08 Disneyland off site, 03/09-POR, 11/09-ASM&BC, 06/10 POP, 11/10 Swan & offsite townhouse, 05-06/11 townhouse, 07/11 Disneyland Paris, 06/12 BC, 10/12 POP
Check out my Disney room!
PiperPizzaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:48 PM   #83
yesthisismyday
Earning My Ears

anyone knows how many posts we have to make before we can post your pics ( links, URL etc)? thank you!
yesthisismyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 08:49 PM   #84
yesthisismyday
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperPizzaz
Ok here's our shirts we wore last week. It isn't a great picture, it was hard to find one where we didn't have our son in front of us. His turned out ok but kind of faded into each others. Dh's and mine turned out good.
haha
yesthisismyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #85
Shriva
Mouseketeer

its 15 or 20 posts, then you can post links/pics

Shriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:02 AM   #86
DisneyPhD
Too old is when you stop breathing.
Keep them supported or else they will make you pay later
I sometimes worry every stupid thing I say is going to follow me around forever

Here is a pic of my shirt. It came out a bit different but I really like it.

DisneyPhD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:04 PM   #87
jordancej
Howdy from the Great State of Texas!

How do you make the mickey head come out so sharp?? Any tips? Thanks!
2004 - December - POFQ / 2005 - December - POFQ / 2006 - October - POP - 1st Solo Trip!! / 2008 - May - POP - Celebrated 40th B-Day! - 2nd Solo Trip! / 2008 - Dec - POP - 3rd Solo Trip! / 2009 - May - POP - B-Day Trip - 4th Solo Trip! / 2009 - Sept - All-Star Sports 5th Solo Trip! / 2010 - May B-Day Trip! - Pop - 6th Solo Trip! / 2011 - Mom & Daughter Trip! - POFQ! / 2011 - D23 Magic & Merriment Dec Trip with Best Friend! - POP / 2012 - Sister & Niece Trip! - POFQ! / 2012 - Planning B-day Trip in May! - POFQ!

jordancej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:09 PM   #88
DiznEeyore
Donkey-Huggin' DVC Member
Dedicated Disney Scrapbooker
Thanks for un-confusing me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyPhD
Here is a pic of my shirt. It came out a bit different but I really like it.

That looks AMAZING!!! I love the colors and design! Any tips or tricks you could share to make it turn out so well?
Old 09-19-2006, 09:41 PM   #89
mimif1
Mouseketeer

OK. We had a tie-dye party with several families over the weekend. This was my first attemp to make the Mickey shirts. For some reason, every shirt that I made with the Mickey as blue really bled, but the other colors did better. We didn't use enough die on some and too many colors on others, but all in all it was a pretty good attemp. We're going to make another batch and try to correct some of our mistakes. We tried both the spiral Mickey shirts that have the pictures only on the front and the circle Mickey shirts that have pictures on the front and the back. Although I really liked having the picture on the front and the back, I think our spiral shirts turned out better. Here are pictures of our creations. Thanks to everyone with the suggestions and more are always appreciated!

mimif1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:38 PM   #90
wdwcindy
"Where are you going on vacation?...Oh, nevermind."

Cool!

I want to know too what the trick is for getting the Mickey so sharp. I tried a test shirt and the ears kind of flow together and flow into the head part of the Mickey. I used heavy duty thread and tried to pull the basting stiches as tight as I could. Maybe I used too much dye on the Mickey part.

Tips, tricks, advice, direction on making sharp Mickeys is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

wdwcindy
wdwcindy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: