Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Creative DISigns
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2006, 09:53 PM   #61
disneyde
Mouseketeer

love the colors in plantlady's pictures can't wait to try doing this with my girls
June 1986 Poly at 99.00 a night
June 1984 Poly
1972 Poly and Contemporary I was six and my two favorite memories are riding its a small world with my big sister and kissing about 20 times
disneyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #62
PiperPizzaz
DIS Veteran

I just did shirts for my familys (me, Dh and DS-11mos.) and our friends (couple and 14 mos old girl) They came out so cute! Not perfect by any means which is difficult for me (Virgo ) but, really good for a first try and it does look like Mickey! We leave for our trip in a few weeks and I will post some pics when we get back. Thanks for the directions and tips!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH and I used the 'rainbow rock tie-dye kit' from Michaels and it worked great. It had squeeze bottles so it was really easy. The glove were terrible though so I just used kitchen gloves.
Our Family Trips: 05/99-CBR, 06/01 off site, '03 off site, 08/06-CBR, 09/07-POP, 04/08 Disneyland off site, 03/09-POR, 11/09-ASM&BC, 06/10 POP, 11/10 Swan & offsite townhouse, 05-06/11 townhouse, 07/11 Disneyland Paris, 06/12 BC, 10/12 POP
Check out my Disney room!
PiperPizzaz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #63
intrep93
Mouseketeer

I know no one has posted to this for a year, but hoping someone might still be paying attention!!! I was planning on doing some of these for our upcoming trip as we already have dyes and soda ash from other tie dye projects, but was wondering about copyright infringement. I know technically you have to pay Disney to use the Mickey Mouse head design, and I read on another sight that you should definitely NOT wear these to the parks, thus drawing the attention of the folks at Disney, but what was your experience wearing these around? Did anyone question your use of their corporate symbol for your own gain? I'm not planning on selling these and I suppose if anyone asked I could lie and say I bought them at a garage sale or at goodwill or something, but was just curious about wether or not anyone even really noticed. TIA
Old 08-24-2006, 11:16 PM   #64
suz72
DIS Veteran

Hi-

The posts are actually fairly recent...

I think lots of people wear these to the parks.

As far as copyright infringement...wouldn't that have to do more with selling the merchandise??
Old 08-25-2006, 10:15 PM   #65
intrep93
Mouseketeer

You're right about the dates being more recent, guess I was just looking at the 1st pages. As far as infringement goes, I was actually checking a web site for mickey head designs and they could not give them away. I guess it's actually more a licensing violation than just plain old copyright. Disney has their characters licensed and unless you have their written permission to use the characters likeness, you are in violation. I know I have Disney rubber stamps and the companies that produce them have permission to make and sell them (obviously Disney gets $ for this), but I can't sell anything I make with them. If I were using an approved iron-on or sew-on image that that I had purchased, that would not be a violation. But creating the image myself without paying Disney a licensing fee is illegal. I hate to sound like a hard case because I am going to try making some of these this weekend for our upcoming trip - I already have all the dyes and soda ash from an annual tie-dye party our kids have in August for all their neighborhood friends. I just wondered if any of you had ever gotten any comments about this in the parks?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:31 PM   #66
mytwotinks
It makes me feel better to know that I am not the only one out there who can't keep themselves from saying extremely stupid things!
I am going to start carrying a shovel with me to dig a hole so I can hide in

I don't know how they could really license something so simple. I don't know anything about it, so I could be totally wrong. I am just thinking that even if they wanted to cause trouble the outline of the head would be a pretty hard one to get people on. It's 3 circles for goodness sake. And when you tie dye it they aren't even perfect circles. I am going to make some this next week and I am not worried at all about anyone saying anything to us.

I see pics. that people post of their kids wearing things they've bought on Ebay with the actual characters painted or sewn on them. I doubt that Disney would go after the people wearing this stuff though. I'd be that they would go after the people that are selling it on Ebay and at fairs and places like that.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:34 AM   #67
intrep93
Mouseketeer

Actually I don't think they'd care about officially licensed stuff being sold on ebay. They already got their money from the manufacturer and/or the original retailer. Like I said, I'm not really worried about it either and am also going to try making some of these. I just wondered if anyone had ever been talked to about this since technically it IS illegal. I doubt a company so big would care unless they decide to start making them themselves. Then they won't want us making our own anymore. They'll want us buying theirs!!
Old 08-27-2006, 07:35 AM   #68
momof2dizkids
Mouseketeer

I was getting so excited about making these shirts for my upcoming trip - but, now I'm not so sure. I would hate to be wearing something that could be considered "illegal". On the other hand, if I do make these shirts - maybe I will wear them under a sweatshirt so that no one knows, but me....

momof2dizkids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:56 AM   #69
bsusanmb
DIS Veteran

I don't see how this is a problem. You aren't buying or selling. They teach you how to draw the characters at MGM and you take them with you. they sell books on how to draw all of the characters - so you put them on a shirt for your own enjoyment....

bsusanmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 04:24 PM   #70
Shriva
Mouseketeer

Yes, Its ok to make for yourself...

Just can't make them to resell.

Anyone ask, just let them know you made them yourself. You won't have any problems.

Shriva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 07:58 PM   #71
Corryn
DIS Veteran
Disney Commando
Why, yes, I'd Love an apple!

If a guy can get away with printing and selling t-shirts with the names of fallen military soldiers without the families permission that have a statement against our President and get caught, but not busted, I'm sure you'll be okay
Old 08-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #72
intrep93
Mouseketeer

I didn't mean to start a big debate or anything - just wanted to know if anyone had ever mentioned anything to you when wearing these shirts.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:58 PM   #73
MNRMommy
I'm an acquired taste!

I showed my DH these directions and he loved the way you all got the Mickey shapes to come out but he wanted to do the spiral tie die technique so he "tweaked" these instructions. If any of you are interested, I took step by step pics of that technique and could post them along with the final results. The spiral wasn't as noticable on the kids shirts but came out really good on the adults. And Mickey stayed just as sharp.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:20 PM   #74
Kycha
I'm a grouch with a heart
The raccoon wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRMommy
I showed my DH these directions and he loved the way you all got the Mickey shapes to come out but he wanted to do the spiral tie die technique so he "tweaked" these instructions. If any of you are interested, I took step by step pics of that technique and could post them along with the final results. The spiral wasn't as noticable on the kids shirts but came out really good on the adults. And Mickey stayed just as sharp.

MNRMommy, Please post your DH's directions and pics. I am very interested. TIA
Kycha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 11:28 PM   #75
MNRMommy
I'm an acquired taste!

I will have him download the photos from the camera tomorrow when I get home from work and try to get a post tomorrow night. We have created a monster. He saw the Stich someone did on page 2 I think it was and right now he is surfing the net looking for character's he can tie die.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: