Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Creative DISigns
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2005, 12:34 PM   #16
onedisneylover
Mouseketeer

disneyeveryyear...

thanks for the pics...can't wait to see the ones of the dying process...

how many die kits do you need??? do i need more than one?

karen

nobody but the big cheese saying cheese!!!
onedisneylover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 03:33 PM   #17
sweet maxine
DIS Veteran

I found a cute orange tie-dyed t-shirt on clearance for $3, and I'm wondering if I could somehow make the Mickey design on this in black without the dye getting spread to the rest of the shirt. I would like to make this for MNSSHP. Would this work?
sweet maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-10-2005, 04:55 PM   #18
Nank
DIS Veteran

Sweet Maxine, I don't know about that. Is there black dye you can buy? Also, I would use lots and lots of rubberbands to keep the black in the spot you want. Good luck.

POFQ - Sept. 2005
HRH UO/IOA - Nov. 2006
CBR - Nov. 2008
Nank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:04 PM   #19
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweet maxine
I found a cute orange tie-dyed t-shirt on clearance for $3, and I'm wondering if I could somehow make the Mickey design on this in black without the dye getting spread to the rest of the shirt. I would like to make this for MNSSHP. Would this work?
Sweet Maxine - I don't know why this wouldn't work. Are the shirts 100% cotton? I would do all of the steps as usual - wash and dry without any fabric softener, trace, baste and band your mickey head. I believe that Michael's and Hobby Lobby both sell black dye from Rainbow Rock. Just be careful when applying.

Another thought would be to get dark color transfer paper and print a black mickey head on it and iron it on.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:05 PM   #20
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onedisneylover
disneyeveryyear...

thanks for the pics...can't wait to see the ones of the dying process...

how many die kits do you need??? do i need more than one?

karen
Karen,

The # of tie dye kits you need will depend on how many colors you want to use. I ended up buying 4 kits because my kids use liberal amounts of dye and they tend to use specific colors heavily. Luckily I have been using 40% off coupons at Michaels.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:22 PM   #21
sweet maxine
DIS Veteran

Yes, the shirt I have is 100% cotton. I didn't realize that black dye is hard to find. I don't live near a craft store, so if Wal Mart doesn't have it, I may be out of luck. Something else I thought about is the Mickey ears with your name stitched on it as a transfer. I will have to search for the thread that has the link for it, but it's a really cute site that will "stitch" your name onto Mickey ears. Someone posted the link for it about a year ago, so it may be hard to find.
sweet maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 10:11 AM   #22
PaulaSue
I have a purple car too and love it
Even I need a nap now and then

Just an idea for the orange tye-dye shirt. How dark of an orange is it? I was about was thinking about using bleach to make the mickey head shape. Don't know if that would really work but a thought. Good Luck!

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2 Birthdays, 1 Anniversary, Priceless...1/06

4 Parks, 3 Generations, 2nd Trip, 1 Week with Family and Friends...10/08

F&W, Music to our ears...10/11

Tire Pros "Family" is going to Disney...1/15
PaulaSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 11:56 AM   #23
MerryPoppins
I posted around Woo Hooty time
Good things come in threes
I probably need a makeover more than the average person
Survivor

Anyone have a picture of the finished shirts, too? I've seen them on other threads, but I didn't subscribe. Now DD says this might be fun to try. She'd like to see one. Thanks.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:33 AM   #24
ReAnSt
BL II - Blue Team
DIS Veteran

Tie Dye Pictures

Not sure if it is too late for you to want pictures.

Link in case the pictures don't work.

Becky
Old 11-06-2005, 08:49 AM   #25
marissat
Mouseketeer

thanks you for bumping...I have been looking for these pictures for a few days now!!

Marissa

5/03...Port Orleans/AKL

12/00...First Trip..CSprings
marissat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 10:35 PM   #26
julia & nicks mom
Bad influence on the Tag Fairy!
I knocked Mickey's block off

I just wanted to add the Tie Dye instructions here b/c I refer a lot of people to this thread!!

Thanks for the pictures!!

Directions from Cojochurch
First you will need the dye. I got a kit at Michaels that came with the instructions, dye, squirt bottles, soda ash, gloves, and rubber bands. Get 100% cotton shirts. That is very important so that you get vibrant colors. Do not use Rit Dye – you will not get vibrant colors!

Take the shirt and draw a Mickey head in pencil, on the shirt. I made a pattern on paper first and then traced along the edge. You will then "sew" the pattern. Use a needle and thread. I got a waxed thread at Michaels to make sure it didn't take up the dye. Sew a 1/4" - 1/2" basting stitch along the pencil line. A basting stitch is a very simple stitch that goes up & down through the fabric. Only go through the front of the shirt if that is where you want the Mickey to be. If you want it on front and back. Do each side separately. After stitching along the complete line, knot it, and pull it tight, so the fabric gathers in a bunch. Make sure the inside of the Mickey is poking outward. Pleat the rest of the fabric, so that you have a long snake like tube. The more careful you are with pleating the fabric along the length of the shirt, the better the final result. Go easy, and take your time. Wrap a rubber band around the threaded bunch. The tighter the tie, the more defined the outline of the Mickey will be. Place remaining rubber bands in 1"-2" intervals along the rest of the shirt. It is a little hard to explain, but when you are done you will have a long snake. One end is the Mickey on front of shirt and the other end it the back Mickey. Through the middle is the rest of shirt (arms, neck etc.).

Then follow the instructions in the kit for preparing and dying shirts. The squirt bottles make it possible to get the specific color where you want it.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:29 PM   #27
tmt martins
DIS Veteran
Uses her HIS iron as a doorstop!
I get enough confusion on here as it is. Can I get a little help here?

To help with bleeding use large yarn tie tight then rubberband .this will keep area tighter then just the rubberband and the yarn will soak some of the dye before bleeding through.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:33 PM   #28
Tandyc
Disney brings out the kid in me!

What type of Dental Floss do you use? I only have Mint and Cinnamon which are green and red. Will they work or will they bleed and mess up the whole thing?

Thanks for your help!

Tandyc
Old 03-07-2006, 10:47 AM   #29
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

ReAnSt, that last shirt picture looks like a Stitch tie dye....not sure if you meant it to look like that as all your linked pictures look like Mickey heads. That is so neat though....if you did mean it to look like Stitch, how did you do it?

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:23 PM   #30
ReAnSt
BL II - Blue Team
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRatPack
ReAnSt, that last shirt picture looks like a Stitch tie dye....not sure if you meant it to look like that as all your linked pictures look like Mickey heads. That is so neat though....if you did mean it to look like Stitch, how did you do it?
Great that means I did a good job since you can recognize It is Stitch. I have also done horse heads and some other shapes. Instead of tracing a mickey head shape. I printed out, then cut out a stitch shape, I then traced that onto the shirt, I then baste stitched the stitch shape and pulled it super tight just like the Mickey head.

I did everything the same as the Mickey head but used the stitch shape or whatever shape I wanted the design to be instead. I think stitch was the hardest one I have done because of the details around his body like the feet and his ears. I would suggest trying a mickey head first.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Becky

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: