Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2005, 12:05 PM   #1
ScoJo15
There will be days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have. ~ Unknown

Reviews: Free Dining Plan 9/18-9/24

Reviews: Free Dining Plan 9/18-9/24

The Cast:
Me – Disney obsessed 34 year old IT Manager from Canton, GA
DD7 – 7 year old Disney lover with 5 trips to the world already under her belt

Note: DD suffers from a peanut allergy

9/18
Table Service Dinner – 1900 Park Fare for Cinderella’s Gala Feast
Characters – Fairy Godmother (in lobby), Perla, Suzy, Cinderella and Prince Charming
Review – Our ADR was for 5:40 and we were seated immediately upon showing up at 5:30. What a great meal! Everything is served buffet style in a very friendly atmosphere. I had the shrimp & asparagus alfredo, cheese tortellini, Caesar salad, fruit and dinner rolls. DD had penne pasta in olive oil, macaroni & cheese, corn, salad, fruit and dinner rolls. The highlight of the meal was definitely the strawberry soup! Do not miss this if you dine here. The food was above average and the characters made it around fairly quickly. I’d recommend this dinner to anyone.
Dining plan savings -- $49.80 (that includes the 15% tip)

9/19
Counter Service Lunch – Pizzafari at Animal Kingdom
Review – We had originally planned to eat at the Tusker House, but we were pretty hungry after the Lion King/Pocahontas/Character meet and greets so we decided to stop here. You get a lot of food here on the plan. I had a pepperoni pizza (equivalent in size to a small Tombstone) and an apple crumble dessert pie thing. DD had cheese quesadillas, Mickey cheese crackers, Orange Fanta and chose the frozen lemonade for dessert since we could take it with us. The pizza was quite tasty, not world class, but very satisfying. The apple crumble was actually pretty good for what it was, but I would not have ordered it if it weren’t included on the plan. DD ate all of her meal (translation: it was good). After reading some negative reviews of this place, I was very pleasantly surprised and would recommend.
Dining plan savings -- $18.48

Table Service Dinner – L’Originale Alfredo di Roma at Epcot
Review – Our ADR was for 8:00. We got there around 7:55 and had to wait for approximately 10 minutes before being seated. The restaurant was busy and the tables are located really close together. Upon telling our waiter that we were on the dining plan, he informed us that DD was not eligible for an appetizer since they didn’t have one on the kid’s menu. So I ordered the fettuccine alfredo and we split it. Boy was it good! The noodles tasted homemade and the cheese was incredible. For dinner, I had the lasagna and DD had the penne pasta with cream and parmigiano cheese. Both were very good and fresh. The chef was called out to discuss our desert options and since they did not recommend anything on the desert tray, he offered a special lemon gelato for DD to eat (much to her satisfaction!). I went with the panna cotta which was absolutely delicious.
One interesting note was the fact that DD wanted a blue slush specialty drink which the waiter informed us was not on the plan, but when the final bill came, it was included in the price. Overall, the food was very good but the atmosphere was rushed & hectic and took away from what I believe should have been a casual, romantic Italian setting.
Dining plan savings -- $55.70 (includes the 15% tip)

9/20
Counter Service Lunch – ABC Commissary at Disney-MGM Studios
Review – We were told by the lady taking our order that DD could order anything since the credits were pooled, so she was not limited by the kids menu. So we both got fish and chips, mine with just fries and DD’s with a fruit and fries combo. I had chocolate mousse and DD had strawberry parfait for dessert. The food was fine for counter service and was a nice diversion from the common mac&cheese/chicken nugget/cheeseburger combo that is so often seen.
Dining plan savings -- $20.00 (forgot to write it down, but this is in the ballpark)

Table Service Dinner – 50’s Prime Time Café at Disney-MGM Studios
Review – We had a 5:00 ADR which was perfect timing as the parade ended about 4:55 and we were very close by. We had to wait about 10 minutes to be seated. This was our first time here and was an absolute hoot! Easily the funnest dining experience of the entire trip. Our server was Topher (not a member of the family, but the next door neighbour sent to babysit the kids). I went with the fried cheese appetizer, fried chicken entrée and dad’s super sundae for dessert. DD had the chicken soup appetizer, mac and cheese (Topher: “way to be adventureous and try something new) and the build your own sundae with sprinkles instead of toppings due to the allergy. All of the food was great. We had to do our chores (set our own table), keep our elbows off the table (or have to sing “I’m a little teapot” in front of everyone), and eat all of our vegetables (or be fed via airplane by Topher…DD was busted by this one for slow mac & cheese eating). DD’s lighted ice cube drink was not covered by the plan, neither was my choice of Dad’s Electric Lemonade (which wasn’t very good). Don’t miss this dinner experience.
Dining plan savings -- $60.00 (forgot again, but this was really close…I tipped extra here also)

9/21
Counter Service Lunch – Columbia Harbor House at Magic Kingdom
Review – Read about this on the boards and wanted to eat here for both the food and the seating location above the walkway between fantasyland and liberty town square. I had the fish, chicken and chips for the entrée and apple pie for dessert. DD had chicken strips, fries and apple pie. Once we got our food, we found the staircase and walked upstairs to find only one other occupied table! We took a seat for two right against the window overlooking the walkway for a real neat view and some excellent people watching during lunch. The food was once again above average. DD swears that it was some of the best apple pie that she has ever eaten.
Dining plan savings -- $26.48 (yeah, I remembered to write it down!)

Table Service Dinner – Cinderella’s Royal Table at Magic Kingdom
Review – We had done the character breakfast here before and love the setting. Cinderella greeted us in the lobby after we checked in about 5 min early for a 6:10 ADR. We were not seated until 6:30. It was nice to eat here without the hustle and bustle associated with the character meals. Our server was fantastic and the experience was great. I had crispy crab & seafood spring roll appetizer, prime rib entrée and Cinderella’s slipper for dessert. DD had cheese & veggie appetizer, prime rib entrée and vanilla ice cream with tons of sprinkles (courtesy of the chef due to the allergy) for dessert. The food was great. We really liked the pretzel bread with honey mustard butter and went through two baskets of it! The prime rib was cooked just right and did not have a lot of fat on it. It was served with root mashed potatoes which were also pretty yummy.
Dining plan savings -- $77.98 (includes the 15% tip)

9/22
Table Service Lunch – Le Cellier at Epcot
Review – Had a 12:40 ADR, we checked in about 12:20 and were seated at 12:30. The atmosphere was great, gave me the idea that we were eating in a Canadian mountain lodge. The food was some of the best of the whole trip. I had the cheddar cheese soup appetizer (believe the hype! It’s awesome!), petit filet mignon entrée and maple crème brulee for dessert. The crème brulee was some of the best that I’ve ever had, a light maple taste throughout. DD had cantaloupe, chicken strips and fries and vanilla ice cream for dessert. The chef made a special batch of fries to eliminate any possible peanut oil issues. DD wanted the northern lights drink that included the lighted ice cube (and was not on the plan), but they were out of ice cubes so they made it for her anyway and did not charge any extra. They served three breads, sourdough, pretzel and multigrain. The pretzel bread was good, but we liked the CRT version better as it was softer and did not have salt on it. The meat was cooked perfectly and was on a bed of seasonal vegetables and cream cheese mashed potatoes. Don’t miss this delicious meal.
Dining plan savings -- $53.27 (includes the 15% tip)

Counter Service Dinner – Casey’s Corner at Magic Kingdom
Review – We grabbed the food and sat on the curb so we could see the Spectromagic parade. Credits were pooled, so we both got the foot long hot dogs, fries and drinks. I got two packs of cracker jack for dessert & let DD know that we would be having ice cream from the Plaza Ice Cream parlor for her dessert. This is one of the best hot dogs that I’ve ever had! Very ball park like, with the soft warm bun and juicy hot dog.
Dining plan savings -- $18.66

9/23
Counter Service Lunch – Yorkshire Fish & Chips at Epcot
Review – Looking back, we sure did eat a lot of fish and chips! We both got the fish and chips/fries combo. The dessert selection was limited to Lay’s potato chips or Shortbread so I grabbed one of each. DD ended up eating the chips and I ate her fries. The fish was very good. The shortbread dessert was terrible…I took a bite and discarded the rest.
Dining plan savings -- $19.00

Table Service Dinner – Restraunt Akershus at Epcot
Characters – Ariel with feet!, Cinderella, Jasmine, Aurora and Belle.
Review – We had a 7:25 ADR, but checked in around 6:50 due to the rain and were told that we could be immediately seated. The character interaction was fantastic. I thought the meal setup was a little weird. After our drink orders were taken, the appetizer was buffet style with a huge choice of meats and cheeses including, smoked salmon, peppered and smoked mackerel, peel and eat shrimp, salads, ham, roast beef & turkey. We tried a little of everything and it was pretty good with the exception of the smoked mackerel which I did not like due to the rough texture of the skin. For entrée’s, I had Pasta Akershus and DD had Cheese Ravioli with the pizza sauce on the side. Both were above average. Since the chef did not recommend anything on the dessert tray for DD, he got her two fruit bars (orange and strawberry) which she absolutely loved (I did too! Something other than ice cream!). You automatically get the desert tray sampler (no choice of just one) so I had a taste of lingonberry tart, chocolate mousse and rice cream. The tart & mousse were good, but I did not like the rice cream. Tasted like light cream with rice krispies thown in and was not very appealing to me.
Dining plan savings -- $49.80 (includes 15% tip)

9/24
Counter Service Lunch – POP Century Food Court
Review – While there is a lot to offer in the food court, it is not really clear which items are covered by the plan and which are not. I would be very frustrated if I chose to eat here a lot due to not knowing what was covered. We made it easy. I went with the double cheeseburger & fries, DD had the chicken strips & fries and another orange bar (who knew they were in the food court!). The food was decent but my least favorite of all the places we ate.
Dining plan savings -- $21.08

Overall, my favorite meals of the trip were:
1. Le Cellier
2. 50’s Prime Time Café
3. Alfredo’s

Our total meal plan savings added up to $470.25

Feel free to message me with any questions or requests for more in depth information!

Scott

Trip Report: Drinking, Dining and Running around WDW - Oct 2011

Upcoming Races
11/24/11 - Atlanta Half Marathon
01/07/12 - WDW Half Marathon
03/18/12 - Publix Georgia Half Marathon
ScoJo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 12:17 PM   #2
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Thanks for the great reviews. Can't wait to try Akershus.
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2005, 12:27 PM   #3
tmanaster
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the reviews! It makes me jealous... I would love to go on a solo trip with just one of my kids! What a special time together it must have been! Glad you had fun.

Tricia
mom to 4
tmanaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
eeyore45
Do-it-yourself pixie dust = buy a bag of glitter at the mall
Pixie dusts CMs for fun
I need my nectar - Dr Pepper anyone??

THanks for the details!! I was espcially interested in the diRoma review that didnt allow for Child appetizer - when the brochure states you are entitled to it - I like that there was so much food that its really not an issue, but like you noted for Pop Food Court, by this time the dining places really should be better informed on the DIning Plan - at least more informed than the consumer...

Thanks!!
Old 09-27-2005, 01:29 PM   #5
ScoJo15
There will be days when I don't know if I can run a marathon. There will be a lifetime knowing that I have. ~ Unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyore45
THanks for the details!! I was espcially interested in the diRoma review that didnt allow for Child appetizer - when the brochure states you are entitled to it - I like that there was so much food that its really not an issue, but like you noted for Pop Food Court, by this time the dining places really should be better informed on the DIning Plan - at least more informed than the consumer...

Thanks!!
Yeah, the POP food court was very confusing due to the cases in the back where the wine/beer/coke/snacks/ice cream/etc are stored. You don't really know what counts and what doesn't. The ice cream place that has sundaes and milkshakes is not covered by the plan at all.

Some places in the parks actually had what was covered marked with a little logo...that was very helpful.

Scott

Trip Report: Drinking, Dining and Running around WDW - Oct 2011

Upcoming Races
11/24/11 - Atlanta Half Marathon
01/07/12 - WDW Half Marathon
03/18/12 - Publix Georgia Half Marathon
ScoJo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2005, 06:15 AM   #6
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for posting.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2005, 11:18 AM   #7
LglBlonde
DIS Veteran

Great Reviews! Thanks!

Jacob's 5th Trip and Jackson's 2nd!: Sept 2-8, 2013 Fort Wilderness Cabin with Free Dining!
Jacob's 4th Trip and Jackson's First!: May 21-28, 2012 5BR House @ Emerald Island
Jacob's 3rd Trip: June 5-12, 2010 5BR House @ Emerald Island
Jacob's 2nd Trip: Feb 23-Mar 1, 2009 Emerald Island
Jacob's 1st Trip: Dec 8-15, 2007 - Two nts at Hilton WDW, then Shrek's Hideout!

Adult Trip w/ DH & my brother & his (now) wife: Aug 29-Sept 4 2005 - CBR
DH's first trip: May 31-June 4 2004 - POFQ
LglBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: