Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2005, 10:41 PM   #1
ladysoleil
my booty is a big fan of Cottonelle
Yep, the Tag Fairy caught it!
I liked Weird Al, but Floyd was just low-rent and creepy

Dining Reviews and dining plan quirks- Sept. 15-19 (longish)

We stayed at POP and dined mostly at the resort restaurants, with the dining plan. Here's the breakdown- we paid for stuff here and there, and I don't have my spreadsheet, so I'm not even going to try to tally dining credits:

Day 1- Pop Lunch- DH and I split a basket of chicken fingers and fries and a cupcake as we didn't want to spoil our appetites for dinner at the California Grill. The cashier was a bit snotty with us as we also picked up a refillable mug and she immediately snapped at us that the price of the mug wasn't covered on the dining plan. eeesh. Relax, Disney Lady! Other than that, no issues, and there was enough food to be a hearty mid-afternoon snack for us. DH is a big eater, I'm a picker. The cupcake was excellent and the chicken fingers were pretty big pieces of chicken.

Dinner: California Grill. Delicious! DH was allowed any sushi under $20 as part of the plan, which ruled out the platters, but left most of the a la carte sushi. He got the "steak" sushi, which was I believe four or five nice sized rolls. Oddly enough, no wasabi or soy for dipping, possibly because the beef had teriyaki sauce, but it was still very good. I got the corn chowder as my appetizer, which was delicious. For entrees, DH got the beef filet, I got the chili rubbed free range chicken. I liked the chicken, it was excellent, but didn't care for the tamale that came as the side. It was good, but it didn't seem to "go" with the rest of the meal. For dessert, we split a chocolate cake/raspberry sorbet dessert. I know, we wasted a dessert, but we couldn't have finished it if we tried. Excellent, gracious service, a fabulous view of Wishes, and the server recommended an excellent mid-priced Riesling to drink. A+ dining and service experience. We tipped an additional $20 in cash on top of the included gratuity.

Day Two: Breakfast, POP food court. We split the breakfast platter and ordered an extra side of potatoes and got a danish and a banana . As expected, the cashier (different one this time) got snotty about telling us that we could have the banana on the plan but would have to pay for the danish and side of potatoes unless we wanted to use snack credits for them. This was hardly necessary, as DH told her when we walked up to the counter that we would pay for the additional items. Probably also a bit of a rip off, as the danish should have been covered as the more expensive, but legal item, right? More than enough food for both of us- we probably didn't need the extra side of potatoes at all. Good food, lousy attitude.

Lunch: Grabbed a double burger and fries and a toll house cookie at Epcot at the Electric Umbrella, split it. We didn't ask for an extra bun, just cut it in half. DH accidentally ordered a large soda, but the cashier allowed it, though it was rung up as the medium size on the plan. No problems with meal plan. Again, enough food for us, since we were hot and wanted to save room for dinner at Le Cellier.

Dinner: Le Cellier. Another big winner. I got the cheese soup, DH a salad as an app. I got the filet, DH the free range chicken. My filet was excellent, especially with the cream cheese mashed potatoes. They had a dessert special, a sampler, that we were allowed to share using the plan. It was a portion of sorbet, a maple creme brulee, and a chocolate cake slice. More than adequate for two people. I got the icewine martini (not included) which was delicious and quite alcoholic. Again, impeccable friendly service, and the server was well-informed about the dining plan. Again, we tipped above for service, an additional $15 in cash.

Day Three: Breakfast- POP food court. DH got the platter again with a muffin and bottle of juice and a banana , which we intended to purchase. I swiped a few bites of his platter and stole a piece of his bacon. They accepted the muffin as a side for the breakfast platter, no problems, although they snarked at us again about DH's . Why does POP hate on the poor bananas so much?

Lunch: We were supposed to eat at AK, but it was really hot and we weren't hungry. We were going to go over to SciFi at MGM and pay out of pocket, but the wait without an ADR was over an hour, so we fled to counter service. I ended up getting the grilled turkey sandwich with fries, forget which place, it's the one by Star Tours. It was big and tasted pretty good, so we split it again since DH didn't like his cheeseburger at all- very tough and dry. We also got chocolate bundt cake for dessert which was quite good. No problems with meal plan, although they did not allow the large soda. Figured it didn't hurt to ask, but no luck.

Dinner: Grand Floridian Cafe. Again, great food and a great server. DH thought it was a bit swanky and fancier than he was expecting. Nice relaxing meal. He got french onion soup, which he said was great, I got the soup special, which was a spicy black bean with chorizo sausage. Good, but a bit on the salty side. I got the pork tenderloin as an entree, he got the prime rib. I didn't like the cranberry sauce on the pork, but the meat was perfectly cooked and juicy. DH hated his prime rib, but that's because he always forgets that he doesn't like prime rib because he doesn't like his meat very rare. It wasn't the best cut- not awful, but very fatty. This was the first less than perfect table service meal, but the food was still quite good. We got a bonus on the dining plan here, we were offered the dessert sampler and the server also brought us the chocolate fondue. Technically, that shouldn't have happened since the fondue is sized for two. We enjoyed the desserts, but it was really much, much too much dessert. Additional tip, $20. We appreciated the freebies and the good service. B+ for food, A+ for service and ambience.

Day Four: Lunch- Liberty Tree Tavern. First truly bad experience on the dining plan. Our server, Hughe, was just plain lousy. He pretty much threw down the food and vanished for the entire meal. Our entrees arrived about two minutes after the appetizers. (Tavern Fried Cheese for DH, soup of the day for me, which was a minestrone). The appetizers were good, but we didn't get to enjoy them as we had to rush through them before our entrees got cold. If I'd really thought about it, I would have sent the entrees (pot roast for both) back until we were finished with the apps.

Lousy, lousy service. Asked for water, which we had to beg for, and was not refilled, and were never offered refills on soda, even though our glasses were clearly empty. The appetizer plates and empty soda glasses were not removed from the table. The last straw for me was that he sent a runner over with the food, which was fine, but did not check in with us personally to see if we were okay or needed anything. The runner was kind enough to bring us our water when we asked him, which made request #3, but no soda refill ever appeared, even though we asked for it.

When Hughe came by to take our dessert order, I was slightly annoyed again. It's silly, but I can't eat ice cream, which comes with most desserts. Generally, when I ask that the ice cream be removed, the great majority of the time, the server will offer the ice cream on the side to my DH. Didn't happen. It's a picky little pet peeve, I know, but things like that make for good service, and it's not like we're ripping them off as the price of the dessert doesn't go down any if you omit the ice cream. And, the dirty entree and appetizer plates were left on the table until the desserts arrived, and still, no drink refills, even though our glasses were *still* empty and on the table. grrr. And of course, our good friend Hughe was there like clockwork with the check possibly a full five seconds after the dessert plates landed on the table. We decided that the additional cash tip we had planned on giving would be more properly handed to the runner, who appreciated it very much, and did far more to take care of us than our server did. Service= B+ for food, F for Hughe, B for the runner, who got a $10 cash tip.

I always eat at Liberty Tree every tip and this is the first time we had service that was less than gracious and impeccable. I can only think it must have been the dining plan, and Hughe must have figured he was only getting 15% and didn't care to exert himself. That's my conclusion after noticing that he was very attentive to the other tables in our area.

Dinner: POP again, since we were tired from our day in the parks. DH got the meatball sub and a side salad, I got the chicken parm with a side salad. Again, dining plan issues. The cashier insisted that DH's salad was not included under the plan. Um, why? Unless the sub roll the meatballs were on counts as a side, that should have been completely legit. To make it weirder, the cashier then told me that I could have the extra salad with my entree (which had the side of salad placed on the same plate as the chicken), but DH was not allowed a side item. I don't understand why she felt that two salads for me were okay on the plan, but a meatball sub counted as an entree and a side. Buyer beware. She also tried to grab the bottle of juice I was holding (I was going to pay cash for it, we had 2 bottles of water on the tray) and tell me that I had to use a snack credit to pay for it. No, lady, that's why I'm standing on line separately, because I'm paying for it.

Next day we paid cash for everything. It was refreshing not to have to be yelled at anymore for DH's desire to eat a banana with his breakfast!

Observations: On the whole, most of the people we encountered knew how the plan worked, and we noticed no decline in service and friendliness that we could attribute to using the plan, with the exception of LTT and Pop. I'm guessing that the poor counter folks at POP probably get hassled to death over the dining plan and are probably sick of dealing with it by now, but it seems that all their staff does not understand how the plan works and it causes friction and sometimes rude service. And they obviously hate bananas.
ladysoleil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 05:43 AM   #2
Uncleromulus

DIS Veteran

Excellent reviews!!
Poor service often can ruin a meal, and sounds like Hughe did his very best to ruin yours.
Vacation Club since 1992
Next trip-- Fantasy Cruise on 11/1 14!!
60 previous visits to WDW!!!
Uncleromulus is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-27-2005, 07:27 AM   #3
we3disneygo
DIS Veteran

thanks for your reviews
we3disneygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
disneysnowflake
DIS Veteran

Great review!

I must say that last Dec 14th we had the more horrible service at LTT.
It sounded much the same as your experience.
When we go at the end of this week we're not going back to LTT.

We're staying at Pop. I have to make a mental note of the bananas. lol.

So, when you get a meatball sub does it come with fries or no side at all? I like the meatball subs at POFQ. I was hoping to have on on Friday evening at Pop. Maybe not now.
disneysnowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 08:10 AM   #5
pennyplanner
DIS Veteran

Thanks for posting!

Your dinner at Cali Grill sounds wonderful. I can't wait to try it!

I do like that people reward good servers with an extra tip. I am so glad the runner was rewarded for trying to do the waiter's job, but sorry he had to!

--penny
pennyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
TwingleMum
DIS Veteran

Sorry you had such poor service , did you consider writing and letting them (LTT) know?? Thanks for sharing.
TwingleMum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:15 AM   #7
kimisabella
I wonder if he/she is coming on the cruise with us
Yes, I am. ;)

I didn't want to approach him as he would have thought I was some sort of weird stalker

Great reviews, it's nice to throw some humor in there too! Sounds like you had a great time!
Old 09-27-2005, 09:26 AM   #8
FayeW
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysoleil
Day Four: Lunch- Liberty Tree Tavern. First truly bad experience on the dining plan. Our server, Hughe, was just plain lousy. He pretty much threw down the food and vanished for the entire meal. Our entrees arrived about two minutes after the appetizers. (Tavern Fried Cheese for DH, soup of the day for me, which was a minestrone). The appetizers were good, but we didn't get to enjoy them as we had to rush through them before our entrees got cold. If I'd really thought about it, I would have sent the entrees (pot roast for both) back until we were finished with the apps.

Lousy, lousy service. Asked for water, which we had to beg for, and was not refilled, and were never offered refills on soda, even though our glasses were clearly empty. The appetizer plates and empty soda glasses were not removed from the table. The last straw for me was that he sent a runner over with the food, which was fine, but did not check in with us personally to see if we were okay or needed anything. The runner was kind enough to bring us our water when we asked him, which made request #3, but no soda refill ever appeared, even though we asked for it.

When Hughe came by to take our dessert order, I was slightly annoyed again. It's silly, but I can't eat ice cream, which comes with most desserts. Generally, when I ask that the ice cream be removed, the great majority of the time, the server will offer the ice cream on the side to my DH. Didn't happen. It's a picky little pet peeve, I know, but things like that make for good service, and it's not like we're ripping them off as the price of the dessert doesn't go down any if you omit the ice cream. And, the dirty entree and appetizer plates were left on the table until the desserts arrived, and still, no drink refills, even though our glasses were *still* empty and on the table. grrr. And of course, our good friend Hughe was there like clockwork with the check possibly a full five seconds after the dessert plates landed on the table. We decided that the additional cash tip we had planned on giving would be more properly handed to the runner, who appreciated it very much, and did far more to take care of us than our server did. Service= B+ for food, F for Hughe, B for the runner, who got a $10 cash tip.

:
I have to ask why you tipped an additional $10. over an above the 15% already included for such horrible service?? Sure, runner did some things for you, but he never checked on your food, refilled your drinks, or removed the dirty plates either. $10. seems like a pretty generous tip for somebody who brought out your plates and got you some water! It sounds like these people got tipped somewhere between 30-35% between the two of them!
FayeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
ladysoleil

Quote:
I have to ask why you tipped an additional $10. over an above the 15% already included for such horrible service?? Sure, runner did some things for you, but he never checked on your food, refilled your drinks, or removed the dirty plates either. $10. seems like a pretty generous tip for somebody who brought out your plates and got you some water! It sounds like these people got tipped somewhere between 30-35% between the two of them!
DH corrected me, since I just I asked him your question. He did it partly as a "spite" tip, since we'd budgeted up to $20 for Hugue (if he'd earned it) and partly because the runner was really very nice. He said he was going to give the runner $10, but didn't have a ten on him so palmed him a $5, which to me was reasonable. He said he was going to do $10, so I assumed that he had. We have both worked as servers and sometimes he'll do things like that just to make someone's day, especially if he's in a good mood. He worked as a runner/busser for a while, so he has a lot of empathy for folks in the food biz.

We're not loaded by a long shot, but I'd estimate that $60 or so in bananas and dining tips was a wonderful bargain for the huge amount of excellent food we ate there, so, I was okay with him doing that.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:18 AM   #10
ladysoleil

Quote:
We're staying at Pop. I have to make a mental note of the bananas. lol.

So, when you get a meatball sub does it come with fries or no side at all? I like the meatball subs at POFQ. I was hoping to have on on Friday evening at Pop. Maybe not now.
By the second or third day, I wanted to kill DH for getting the banana every morning. I was tired of dealing with the banana police!

We were told the sub did not come with a side, but I really don't think that's correct. I was offered salad when I ordered my chicken cutlet. DH was not offered a side and asked for the side salad, they told him to grab one from the cooler by the counter. (2.95- I think that's also the price of the fruit cup, isn't it?)

I'm pretty sure the cashier incorrectly interpreted the plan on that one, since the plan calls for entree, side item, and dessert, and she allowed him to get only an entree and dessert that time. We could probably have fought about it and won, but we were exhausted and hungry, and she did give us the salad on the plan, just gave us a hard time about it first.

Next time, if we do the plan, I think we're going to split up and hit separate lines, one will take the dining plan food and the other the cash items, that way we don't get hassled about things that deviate from the plan or have to listen to them insist that we *have* to use snack credits. No, I don't. That's what the cash in my wallet is for! I understand why the cashier wants me to use snack credits, so that he or she doesn't have to ring up the cash transaction separately, but it's my choice what I spend my credits on. They're flexible for my convenience, not the cashier's. It was obvious that the staff was feeling a bit harried, since just the stuff I overheard told me that a lot of the guests didn't understand how the dining plan worked either, so I'm not taking it personally.

Even with the minor quirks, which were really that, minor, we'd use the plan again even if we had to pay for it. I think we got a lot of value and the way we eat, even though we don't necessarily eat huge portions, we like variety and normally get apps and desserts anyway. I'd definitely say we did well on the plan, and even if it were paid, we would have come out ahead by using it.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 AM   #11
tweetylori
Mouseketeer

LOL! You make me want to go over to Pop and stand in line with a banana in my hand.
tweetylori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:25 AM   #12
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

Thanks for the reviews! I'm sorry you had a such a bad waitstaff exp at Liberty Tree Tavern - it really can make or break a meal.

How funny about the bananas.
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:35 AM   #13
theycallmered
DIS Veteran

Sounds like Hughe was a huge problem.

Sorry I could not resist.
theycallmered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #14
ladysoleil

Quote:
LOL! You make me want to go over to Pop and stand in line with a banana in my hand.
Next time I'm going to bring up a whole tray full of bananas and make them ring them up as:

banana #1= entree
banana #2= side item
banana #3=dessert
Banana #4= snack credit!

That'll drive them good and crazy! And then DH will kill me for making him eat bananas all day.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:42 AM   #15
BethR
On Thread Killer Patrol
Too much fun on the DIS today
Do we get FOOD on this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysoleil
By the second or third day, I wanted to kill DH for getting the banana every morning. I was tired of dealing with the banana police!

We were told the sub did not come with a side, but I really don't think that's correct. I was offered salad when I ordered my chicken cutlet. DH was not offered a side and asked for the side salad, they told him to grab one from the cooler by the counter. (2.95- I think that's also the price of the fruit cup, isn't it?)

I'm pretty sure the cashier incorrectly interpreted the plan on that one, since the plan calls for entree, side item, and dessert, and she allowed him to get only an entree and dessert that time. We could probably have fought about it and won, but we were exhausted and hungry, and she did give us the salad on the plan, just gave us a hard time about it first.
Actually, the CM was probably correct. This is from the information regarding Magic Your Way Dining from the Disney site:

Quote:
One (1) Counter-Service Meal
Includes entree, dessert or one complete combo meal, and non-alcoholic beverage (children ages 3-9 must choose from the children's menu if available; dessert not available at breakfast)
It does seem so odd, that you do not get a side unless it is part of a "combo," but that it the way that it is written. Also, the no dessert as part of breakfast. Hummmm. I would think that you should be able to get a piece of fruit (let's say a - BANANA! ), a muffin, roll or danish. But the plan is not written that way.

I am glad that I looked into this since we are leaving tomorrow and are considering using our CS for breakfast. Seems as if we will be limiting ourselves if we do so.
BethR is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: