Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2005, 08:43 AM   #1
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Michaels or JoAnn Fabric for Custom Framing?

Not sure where to post this question...I need to get a couple WDW serigraphs and lithos & stamp sets matted and framed.

I've always matted my own pictures, but these will require a custom cut and I'd like them to blend in w/the other artwork I have.

Has anyone used either Michaels or JoAnn Fabric for this type of service? Were you satisfied w/work & price?

TIA

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 08:57 AM   #2
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

I've had pictures framed at Michaels and been happy. I never used JoAnns. If you do Michaels, I would wait until there is a 50% off ENTIRE order coupon out (not just the 50% off framing). I had my DDs sketch from WDW framed and with the 50% coupon it was still around $100.

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-21-2005, 09:06 AM   #3
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Thanks, this week Michaels has the following available:

50% any one reg priced item (but it exclused special order custom frames & materials - of course) and

50% of 1, 60% of 2, and 70% of 3 custom framed pieces.

Your DD's a cutie & sketch looks great - what a nice momento, but I think my DH would commit me if I spent $300 framing my pictures.

I assume they give a "free" quote...if it's out of my ball-park, may just pick up an Exacto Knife and practice cutting.

Old 09-21-2005, 09:38 AM   #4
It's A Happy Day
I am on a troll
I know the meaning of pain in the middle of the night

I used Michaels to frame a pc of cross stitch and was very happy with the work but even with the coupon it was expensive. I found out after the fact that a local framer (my mom uses him) does it just as nice but alot cheaper so you might want to browse the yellow pages and check out local people before heading to the corporate stores. Make a few phone calls for estimates. Again loved the work from Michaels but expect to pay for it.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:48 AM   #5
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Didn't think to call for estimates - thanks.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:48 AM   #6
ElizaB39
Males with udders? What WERE they thinking?
Poopkay, I am hypooventilating at this pooint

Neither, go with a local independent that you build a relationship with. My sister does this for all of her cross stitch work, she does maybe 4 per year. She gets great prices and absolutely beautiful results. She will bring in a piece and the owner/framer says, "I have just the thing..." This is how I work with my framer. SHe is also a friend. We are very much in sync with each other and have very similar ideas, when it comes to framing art and handiwork.

BTW, my sis lives in the Minneapolis area. I live in suburban PA.

ASSp July 2005 (A WHOLE WEEK!)
Offsite April 2005 (day visit), March 2002 (2 day visit), April 1999 (2 day visit), March 1992 (1/2 day visit - good story!)
ElizaB39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 11:08 AM   #7
minnie1928
WDW addict

Do Not Use Michaels!

I've had several things framed there over the years (4 items I think). I've had to take back 3 to have various problems fixed. The last picture was a poster of Pooh in a garden, kind of looks like a Monet. Anyway, I paid over $200 for custom framing (after 50% discount). A year later, the picture falls off my wall because the screw they used to secure the wire you hang the picture with pulled out. The frame was busted on one side, but the glass and everything else looked fine. I had the receipt (along with the sticker on the back of the frame saying "Michaels") and took it back. Long story short, the manager refused to fix the frame. She offered to fix it at a discount of 50% (the same discount they were offering to the general public!). To say I was P-ed off would be an understatement. So needless to say, I will never patronize them again.

LMT Loser and proud of it!

U u
minnie1928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 12:02 PM   #8
poohj80
Got Hunny?

We have always wondered if Michael's charged twice as much to offer the 50% off all the time. We have used Hobby Lobby to cut some custom mats in the past (cheaper than Michaels) but haven't tried them for framing. We have several pieces that we would like framed so we plan to get a few estimates this time.

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
poohj80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #9
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaB39
Neither, go with a local independent that you build a relationship with. My sister does this for all of her cross stitch work, she does maybe 4 per year. She gets great prices and absolutely beautiful results. She will bring in a piece and the owner/framer says, "I have just the thing..." This is how I work with my framer. SHe is also a friend. We are very much in sync with each other and have very similar ideas, when it comes to framing art and handiwork.

BTW, my sis lives in the Minneapolis area. I live in suburban PA.
I, too, live in the north-eastern Pittsburgh suburbs - who do you use?

I just got back from Michaels - still laughing...received a quote on 3 pieces, in order to obtain 70% discount. Items are:

2 - 12 X 14 inch serigraphs, just need 1 mat = $220 each

1 - 13 X 18 overall frame, dual cut (2 different items) & 2 mats = $570

After 70% discount $1010 + $70 tax for a grand total of $1080

Old 09-21-2005, 02:28 PM   #10
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow
Those quotes were AFTER the 70% off?

FINALLY found Snow White after she was MIA dealing with a strike at the mine all week
Old 09-21-2005, 02:34 PM   #11
catherinesmom
Earning My Ears

Don't Use Michael's for framing

Michael's changes their pricing based upon the coupon currently being offered. Even with the coupon it is not a deal. Check other local framers...many will accept competitors' coupons. If you have a Deck the Walls around you, they will take the Michael's coupon and do a great job.
catherinesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2005, 02:35 PM   #12
ElizaB39

Quote:
Originally Posted by keishashadow
I, too, live in the north-eastern Pittsburgh suburbs - who do you use?

I just got back from Michaels - still laughing...received a quote on 3 pieces, in order to obtain 70% discount. Items are:

2 - 12 X 14 inch serigraphs, just need 1 mat = $220 each

1 - 13 X 18 overall frame, dual cut (2 different items) & 2 mats = $570

Ha, I would have been laughing in their faces! I acutally live in the Philly burbs, my first post was not clear, sorry about that.

I recently got a large piece 3 ft x 4 ft floated on a suede mat with glass and beautiful frame (mid priced), one original oil (with most ex*****eve line of frame) frame only 2 ft x 3 ft, and one cross stitch 14 x 20 stretched, double circle matted with frame (lower priced) and glass for a total of $480.
I paid cash and got a bit of a discount as well. This is a local one person store that does mostly custom work for residential and commerical businessses.

Offsite April 2005 (day visit), March 2002 (2 day visit), April 1999 (2 day visit), March 1992 (1/2 day visit - good story!)
Old 09-21-2005, 02:37 PM   #13
poohj80
Got Hunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinesmom
If you have a Deck the Walls around you, they will take the Michael's coupon and do a great job.
Thanks for mentioning this as I was not aware. I'll call my local Deck the Walls to ask if they participate.

Old 09-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #14
ElizaB39

I guess I should have said, "their highest priced line of frame" , instead!

Old 09-21-2005, 02:47 PM   #15
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohj80
Those quotes were AFTER the 70% off?
Yep, she said they would cost more because:

1. They were not stock size mats

2. They were not stock size frames

3. They would not process the order unless I used "preservation-quality materials"; since they were collectible and needed to be protected.

Note that the original rough estimate was even higher using what they termed "medium quality" frames. I had them revise it to lower cost, plain black frames.

I think they were afraid that they'd damage the items (serigraphs, lithograph & uncut stamp sheet) so they priced it high or maybe I looked dumb enough to pay what they quoted. Whatever they're factoring in as labor has got to be the culprit, can't be the materials.

What strikes me funny is that the framing cost for the dual cut litho & stamps is almost 10 times the cost of the actual items that need framed.

I bought a beautifully framed & double matted limited edition Donald Duck litho & pin set from Disney Direct @ 70% off, and paid 3/4 less than what Michaels is asking just for matting & framing 1 of the smaller pictures.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: