Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2005, 01:02 PM   #1
christi
Mouseketeer

What happens if I miss my Virgin flight?

We're off to Florida in 5 weeks. Probalblt being a bit pessimistic here but I wonder if anyone can tell me more details on Virgin's pollcy for missed flights? I have a connecting flight booked on top of our trip from Gatwick but am concerned if for any reason this is delayed or cancelled? Do Virgin bump you onto the next avaialble flight or is your holiday actually completely ruined?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2005, 01:20 PM   #2
Obi Wan Kenobi
DIS Veteran

I would imagine that they would try to get you on the next available flight, but depending on the class of ticket, you may have a transfer charge to pay, plus a hotel bill.
This is why we always travel down the night before.
Obi Wan Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-08-2005, 01:54 PM   #3
christi
Mouseketeer

Thanks Obi, this is what I hope too!! We have booked to fly across the night before but I know if the flights are cancelled due to fog it not only affects that flight but also the ones the follwing day! Double whammy! Serves us right for living on an island!
Old 09-08-2005, 03:05 PM   #4
kristieuk
DIS Veteran

I missed a Virgin flight one time (genuine reason, had connecting Delta flight from Tampa to Boston, road into Tampa closed because of an accident). I called Virgin and the next flight home from Boston was 24hrs later. They told me there was space but I would have to pay an admin fee at Boston to get on it.

I caught the connecting flight the following day, got to Boston, explained what had happened, and they let me on, no extra charge. I thought that was really reasonable, since it wasn't their fault, and in Boston they had no clue of what had happened in Tampa. I guess I was lucky that there was space, but they were so helpful and understanding.

(BA wanted £798 for a single flight from Tampa to Gatwick!! - made flying home 24 hrs later an easy choice!)

My ICE Buddy is Nubbedy
kristieuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2005, 03:15 PM   #5
mark&sue
I keep trying to convert everybody, but they just don't want to be converted
I can only get a tag if its near the weekend. a monday, tuesday and some wednesdays are definately no tag days

I have often wondered what would happen during school holiday time. I tried to book a flydrive with Virgin for either October 12th, 13th, or 14th 2006 a month ago and was told they were sold out. I ended up booking BA.

However surely 15 months later if you missed a flight at this peak time you and your family would have no chance of getting a flight!!!

just thinking. There are 7 of us so I guess we better get to the airport the night before!!!

Susan
Oct 1992: off site - April 1998: Dixie Landings - Oct 1999: DL California - Oct 2000: Grosvenor Resort - Oct 2001: POFQ - Dec 2001:Disneyland Hotel - Oct 2003: Davy Crockets Cabins - Oct 2004: Grand Floridian -May 2005: SSR (DVC) & HRH - Oct 2005: New York Hotel - Oct 2006: SSR and BCV (DVC) - Aug 2007: SSR (DVC) and 1st Disney Cruise - July 2008: Sequoia Lodge - July 2010: Treehouse Villas - Sequoia Lodge: Oct 2010 - April 2011 Treehouse Villas/Portofino Bay
2012/13: Several trips to our Dream holiday Home in Spain
mark&sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 09:27 AM   #6
gbrchill
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi
I have a connecting flight booked on top of our trip from Gatwick
Is the flight one segment on the front and one on the back of the same ticket that includes your LGW-MCO flights? If so then Virgin should look after you, although it might meen waiting for the next available seat on a Virgin flight.

If it is a totally separate ticket then you are out of luck and it's totally up to you to sort yourself out (call upon you travel insurance to sort you out).

Either way it would probably be wise to allow plenty of time and make sure that your travel insurance covers delays and missed flights. Belt and braces.

Chris.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Sarnia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi
Thanks Obi, this is what I hope too!! We have booked to fly across the night before but I know if the flights are cancelled due to fog it not only affects that flight but also the ones the follwing day! Double whammy! Serves us right for living on an island!
I imagine if you have a full fare flexible ticket they will try and get you on the next available flight. If you have tickets that don't allow changes then you would probably have to purchase new flights and then claim the cost from your travel insurance. (Not 100% sure on this, but how I believe it is).

The most important thing is to make sure that your travel insurance covers you if you miss your connecting flight due to fog. I used to have travel insurance from a UK company, but discovered that they didn't cover that. I have now switched to travel insurance from a local company which is tailored to the fact we have fog often. One other thing is to check how long your travel insurance requires as a minimum between flights, it's usually 3 hours.

We also always fly over the night before and stay at the Gatwick Hilton to lessen the risk of getting stuck with fog. The joy of island living!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:14 AM   #8
carolfoy
One has Ones hat and One's orf...
and she's back with a vengeance!
looks like someones reads the crap we write then!

My colleague used to be 'space control' manager at virgin (great job title) and she was on check in, it was her job to bump over booked flight passengers or to try and get missed departure passengers on alternative flights, you COULD miss your flight and end up flying out with a totally different airline if for instance you've missed your virgin flight but because your party had a no show of 4 seats they took 4 Delta passengers instead as they owed Delta a favour, you might then be put on the next Delta flight if they have room for you! Doesn't always work but it can boil down to the person on the desk that checks you in (they are also responsible for free upgrades so don't ever deny the power of the check in girl )
Old 09-09-2005, 01:52 PM   #9
christi
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. I might try and ring Virgin airlines to see if they can shed any light on the matter? I've read the small print but it says nothing about whether these domestic flights are seen as part of the main journey. I think I could be covered but I am really not sure? I haven't got my tickets yet, so can't check to see if they are deeming it a continuous journey or not?

I will just have to keep my fingers crossed tha the plane will go, other wise its a rowing boat for us!!
Old 09-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #10
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

The only other thing you have to watch is that sometimes the next available flight is the next day! Virgin only do 2 flights a day from Gatwick and i know that through September they have cancelled one as there were not enough passengers and have put them all on to one! Therefore if we missed that flight we would have to wait untill the next day, meaning 1 day less in Disney. I really dont think you'll have a problem with Fog that time of year though so finger's crossed!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: