Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #1
wdw_dine_junkie
DIS Veteran

Baked Goods at a Garage Sale?

We are having a neighborhood garage sale later this month and I was wondering if anyone has successfully sold things like brownies or muffins at garage sales? Do you find people like to buy homemade items or pre-wrapped like the muffins from Sam's? How about bottled water or coffee?

Thanks!
wdw_dine_junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:10 AM   #2
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

Just personal preference, but I would not buy homemade food at a stranger's house. Too many weirdos out there. However, I know lots of folks do it. I wouldn't mind buying a can of soda or something prepackaged.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Me, DW, DD and MIL with cast of Festival of the Lion King, 11/10/06
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #3
barkley
DIS Veteran
If I ever have a garage sale the neighbors will think I have major wine and condiment addictions

i would buy sam's club muffins-i would also buy COFFEE!! i would think that another popular item would be jucie boxes and something small like rice crispy treats for the kids (again prepackaged-buy in bulk at sams).

The REAL Barkley

Wedding Groomsman - 1991
Disneyland - 1992
Maui - 1993

"King of the Closet, Guardian & Protector of Cookies Everywhre"

Does not Cruise due to C.D.P.P.
(Chronic Duck Pirate Phobia)
barkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Delilah Bleu
Delilah Bleu

I would purchase coffee and pre-packaged items but am hesitant to eat food prepared by someone I don't know well. Sometimes I even pass on food at potlucks at work - not everyone washes their hands.
Delilah Bleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 12:41 PM   #5
wdw_dine_junkie
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I think I would only buy the pre-packaged stuff too, so I probably answered my own question. Good to know others feel the same way!

What is a reasonable price for coffee? 50 cents?
Old 09-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #6
IMALOVNDISNEY
DIS Veteran

Every time we have a tag sale, my dd sets up a refreshment stand. She has soda, water, and baked goods (cookies, brownies). The first year she did this she also made a sign that said "help me go to Disney World". I was amazed at how many people just donated money to her. She has now graduated to selling hot dogs and soda. All money she makes she keeps. (minus the supplies she uses).
IMALOVNDISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:17 PM   #7
ceecee
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve
Just personal preference, but I would not buy homemade food at a stranger's house. Too many weirdos out there. However, I know lots of folks do it. I wouldn't mind buying a can of soda or something prepackaged.
I totally agree!!! When I hear people selling baked goods I can't believe it, but then it must sell. I would try prepackaged things that you would normally eat (then if it doesn't sell you aren't out anything). We tried chips and ritz sandwiches and cookies. Not many sold, but we did sell a lot of sodas.
I would probably sell coffee for less than soda, see how it goes at .50, it's so hot when we have our Garage Sale people buy sodas at 9:00, I did sell out on the Orange Crush.
ceecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:32 PM   #8
Disneefun
DIS Veteran

I'd be OK with prepackaged stuff, but would be hesitant to eat or sell anything homemade or that was originally prepackaged but removed from the pkg. and put on serving trays, etc. Not only because there are crazies out there, but from the selling standpoint, think of the liability if someone ate something you served and got sick!!! Yikes!! I know it's not likely, but with so many people having allergies, or other food borne illness problems, I'd be terrified of getting sued.
Disneefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
SeaWitch
Poor unfortunate souls are my speciality...

I agree with Disneefun... you wouldn't want anyone getting sick or claiming to feel ill from something homemade!

So much safer (and easier) to buy individually wrapped stuff that you would normally eat anyway... if it doesn't sell no real hardship.

We always sell soft drinks at our sales... and they sell very well.
Old 09-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #10
disneysteve
You have to enjoy life, not go around worrying about what other people think

This is kind of a minor issue but still something to think about. In most places, if not all, you need a license to sell food. So you always run a little risk of someone getting annoyed, perhaps a disgruntled neighbor, and reporting you.
Why should I pay for my daughter's education when she already knows everything?

Me, DW, DD and MIL with cast of Festival of the Lion King, 11/10/06
disneysteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 01:57 PM   #11
CheapMom
DIS Veteran

I am in the minority here- I would buy homemade cookies or brownies at a yardsale. (Unless the people or the house semmed weird) Especially if kids were selling them.
I would not buy prepackaged items bought marked up and resold. But apparently if this board is a good meter- that would be the way to go.

Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort ~ Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa

CheapMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:12 PM   #12
wdw_dine_junkie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneysteve
This is kind of a minor issue but still something to think about. In most places, if not all, you need a license to sell food. So you always run a little risk of someone getting annoyed, perhaps a disgruntled neighbor, and reporting you.
I hadn't thought of that, thanks! I am fairly new to the neighborhood and don't know the neighbors that well. Maybe it is best that I don't sell food this year, if any year. I knew this board would be very helpful, this is very good information for anyone having a garage sale!
Old 09-07-2005, 02:27 PM   #13
ClarabelleCowFan
Found Someone You Have
There's always a shortage of Barbie legs
I'm as coordinated as a drunk duck
Has never owned a guinea pig
If I see a vein I'm done!

Coffee and Hot Chocolate are good sellers if it is chilly outside. I will buy Krispy Kreme donuts or homemade goodies but only if it is KIDS that are selling it (I usually eat the donuts but toss the other stuff once out of sight of the KIDS).

Old 09-07-2005, 03:48 PM   #14
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

I've never had experience selling baked goods at a garge sale, but I do know that many a times while garage saling I was soooo thirsty and hungry for a snack that I would have LOVED it if someone had sold a cold pepsi and a packaged snack (like Little Debbie brownies, etc.)

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #15
swilshire
DIS Veteran

We always buy the baked goods when it's a church or civic group. I guess it is a bit risky, but I never really gave it a thought. Sometimes the goodies are SO yummy and they are usually cheap. Always nice to have a little sugar to keep you going.

Sheila
swilshire is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: