Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2001, 10:19 AM   #1
rob@rar.org.uk
Skiing is best, Mickey comes next

New Posiden's Fury is much better

Finally got to see the new show at Posiden's Fury last week and thought it was a huge improvement over the first version of this attraction. Previously I thought it had great potential with such an amazing show building, but the storyline was a bit slow paced and not 'dark' enough. The new show is much better in these respects, and the two "Taylors" I saw were very, very good. Congratulations to all concerned (Earl, etc?).

Regards

Rob
rob@rar.org.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2001, 12:50 PM   #2
WebmasterBarry
Registered

I thought the show's plot was easier to understand, but it didn't amaze me as much as the previous one. I am glad that they kept the water vortex. It's the only reason why I go to the show.

I think it will need to grow on me.
WebmasterBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-06-2001, 09:01 PM   #3
MIB999999
MIB Fantastic Four sensei
It's like 'Cheers' when he walks into Mythos
Ten more Mythos meals until he gets a free toaster oven

for those of you who like the second coming of Posidions Fury better than the first: What is a Darkenon????
Old 09-06-2001, 10:11 PM   #4
MrNonacho
Mouseketeer

Webster's defines Darkenon as follows:

Main Entry: Dar·ke·non
Pronunciation: 'dar-"ke-non
Function: noun
Date: 2001
: a Darth Maul wannabe with a sword who hates Poseidon with a passion

There you go..
MrNonacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 04:28 AM   #5
XAVIER
Dis Veteran

Cool

I also saw it last week rob, but although I liked it better than the original I still wasn't very impressed. My 7 yo quite liked it but I thought it was still lacking something - maybe our guide just wasn't very good.

Royal Pacific Resort / Don César 2014
Hard Rock Hotel / Portofino Bay 2012
Royal Pacific Resort 2010
Dolphin / Royal Pacific Resort 2007
Royal Pacific Resort 2005
Hard Rock Hotel 2001
Embassy Suites 2000
Wyndham Suites 1991
Quality Inn Plaza 1989
XAVIER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 05:15 PM   #6
CoileyTheSpringSprite
registered

Post Lord Darkennon

He's Lord Darkennon. He was one of Poseidon's trusted high priests. It's his name. How hard can it be to understand that?
It's a fictional story... If Poseidon had high priests, perhaps it's within the realm of possibility one of them went by the name of Darkennon?
CoileyTheSpringSprite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 06:09 PM   #7
Tony M
Remember 1999

Unhappy Vote for New, but barely...

I liked the original a lot but was in a minority.
Everyone I talked to couldn't understand the story and with all of the walking from room to room they just got lost even further in their lack of understanding. Now they have simplified it for better or worse and more folks follow the story even if they don't remember Darkenon or if he even existed in "History".
Regardless, to pass final judgement on this attraction this early is premature. The original got better with age and as they tweeked the effects. .
The Final Room's original climax is even now simplified with a "now you see it, now you don't, and now you do again"(worded to eliminate spoilers) presentation and hopefully the effects will increase in intensity with age as did the Original Show's effects.
The effects that I really miss are the 3-D Laser Projection on the Fountain of Water and the intensity of the "thrown" Fireballs.
I think Taylor is better than the Keeper only due to the improvements to the simplicity of the story. I will miss Zeus though.
Why if they wanted to do away with Keeper couldn't they just leave Zeus as the Hero? He is a "God" anyway and could come to the rescue similarly to the way Poseidon does. The attraction's name IS "Poseidon's Fury" and Poseidon should still be the Bad Guy. Those who have seen the new version, try to imagine Zeus in the role Poseidon now has and Poseidon in the Darkenon role. Taylor could still have the same relationship with the hero and it would make more sense than re-writing "history" to include a "Darkenon".
I still like it though and will continue to look for the tweeking.
HAVE FUN
Tony M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2001, 07:05 PM   #8
MrNonacho
Mouseketeer

When I first saw the new version, I thought the ending lacked the punch that the old one did (excluding the final effect of both shows). The new one had far fewer (barely any) fire effects and just lacked any kind of oomph. It was like this for a couple of weeks, and then little by little more and more effects started coming on line and consistently working. Within the past 2 weeks I have seen the show 3 times and now I must say that the overall impression that the final show room gives is much better. As far as I can tell, all the fire effects are working (and there's more than enough of them to keep me satisfied, especially when watching in the front row ) and they seem to be much more consistant now. I still give the edge to the old show (but just in the final show room, everything else in the new version blows the old one away), but the new show's finale has matured nicely.

The last room's fire and water effects are vastly improved from when the new show first opened, and I suggest seeing the show again before dismissing it.
Old 09-07-2001, 09:19 PM   #9
MIB999999

Re: Vote for New, but barely...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony M
Why if they wanted to do away with Keeper couldn't they just leave Zeus as the Hero? He is a "God" anyway and could come to the rescue similarly to the way Poseidon does. The attraction's name IS "Poseidon's Fury" and Poseidon should still be the Bad Guy. Those who have seen the new version, try to imagine Zeus in the role Poseidon now has and Poseidon in the Darkenon role. Taylor could still have the same relationship with the hero and it would make more sense than re-writing "history" to include a "Darkenon".
Now this makes far more sense than creating a totally bogus character. maybe they should have called him Chester, made him limp and called the whole attraction Marshal Dillon's Fast Draw
Old 09-08-2001, 02:54 AM   #10
CoileyTheSpringSprite
registered

Post Oh please...

"bogus character?"
So, it's okay to create a fictional portrayal of a previous fictional character (Zeus...that's right, he wasn't real!), but not create a fictional character of their own?

DOWN WITH NEW IDEAS!
DOWN WITH NEW CHARACTERS!
I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE NAMED DARKENNON BEFORE- SO HE CAN'T BE IN THE SHOW!
HOW DARE YOU CREATE A FICTIONAL CHARACTER FOR A FICTIONAL STORY! ::gasp::
Old 09-08-2001, 07:53 PM   #11
MIB999999

Re: Oh please...

Quote:
Originally posted by CoileyTheSpringSprite
"bogus character?"
So, it's okay to create a fictional portrayal of a previous fictional character (Zeus...that's right, he wasn't real!), but not create a fictional character of their own?

DOWN WITH NEW IDEAS!
DOWN WITH NEW CHARACTERS!
I'VE NEVER HEARD OF ANYONE NAMED DARKENNON BEFORE- SO HE CAN'T BE IN THE SHOW!
HOW DARE YOU CREATE A FICTIONAL CHARACTER FOR A FICTIONAL STORY! ::gasp::
EARTH TO SPRINGY SPRITE: fictional or not a whole lot of people thru the ages have heard of zeus or posidion. I am just asking for one, only one reference to darkenon prior to the conception of the new show. Show me one other place in IOA that has a non-name recognition entity like a darkenon. It will be intresting to see how the attendence figures relate between the old and new show.
Old 09-08-2001, 10:40 PM   #12
CoileyTheSpringSprite
registered

Post Oh my god...

I certainly hope you don't walk out of movies when you go see one and realize you don't know the characters beforehand.

Why is it that you can't seem to understand the concept of the character?

Taylor explains the whole thing:

Darkennon- Poseidon's trusted high priest.

That's ALL you need to know. Remember 99% of the people experiencing the attraction have NEVER SEEN THE OLD VERSION BEFORE.

So Zeus isn't in it! SO WHAT? The idea was to create an extremely *EVIL* character -- and Poseidon was not, and could not be threatening enough.

You're confronted with two options when recreating this attraction:

Keep Poseidon as the bad guy: DOESN'T work for the purposes they set down. He's a god, omnipotent, and he's not seen as a monster. In the old show- he just WASN'T threatening. Atlantis seemed pretty darn nice. It just wasn't scary.

New character: In this case, Darkennon. Unleashing the *ghost* of a high priest who locked the doors of all the chambers in the temple and slaughtered everyone inside. It's MUCH more threatening and he's pure *evil.* He wants to kill you and Poseidon. Why? Because he's evil! The Poseidon of old wanted to make you part of his army... not exactly on the same level of threatening, here.

You're missing the CONCEPT of storytelling- something both Universal and Disney are EXTREMELY good at. At least a good half or so of Disney's attractions are not based on anything at all- they create their OWN story. Just as the new show does. And believe it or not, a LOT of people have never heard of some of the characters at IOA- or are not familiar with them.

Besides, it's not as if it's Poseidon vs. the Care Bears. Darkennon fits perfectly within the frame of the story told- if the god Poseidon had high priests, maybe one of them was named Darkennon. I mean, it's MYTHOLOGY. NONE OF IT IS REAL!

If your complaint is that it's too hard to understand- or that maybe others can't understand it, then its unjustified. Taylor says it ALL in the Chamber of Sacrifices. Many people didn't understand the old show because they didn't listen to the exposition. If they don't understand the new one, then its the same problem, and its the guest's fault.
Old 09-09-2001, 12:21 AM   #13
WebmasterBarry
Registered

Darkenon is the long lost son of Darth Maul. Since Star Wars was told "long ago in a galaxy far away," it's possible Darkenon would show up during the ancient Greek times.

It was also nice for the warning message to be in English. The ancient Greeks must have been smarter than we know or Taylor's flashlight comes with a universal translator.
WebmasterBarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2001, 10:38 AM   #14
MrNonacho
Mouseketeer

Speaking of Taylor's flashlight.. Does anyone know specifically what brand/model his standard incandescent one is? I'm guessing it's one of those rechargeable Mag-Lites. I'm looking for a really bright flashlight, and Taylor's fits the bill.
Old 09-09-2001, 08:00 PM   #15
MIB999999

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry Hom
Darkenon is the long lost son of Darth Maul. Since Star Wars was told "long ago in a galaxy far away," it's possible Darkenon would show up during the ancient Greek times.

this example makes sense except for the WD connection

It was also nice for the warning message to be in English. The ancient Greeks must have been smarter than we know or Taylor's flashlight comes with a universal translator.
the english and Darkenon are just IOA storywriters having a bad day and forgetting to put the beleivablity test to the story.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: