Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2005, 02:21 PM   #1
Frances999
DIS Veteran

* Polynesian Concierge Review ~ Pictures Added! *

Firstly, let me say that this was our first time experiencing the Hawaii concierge services at The Polynesian. I was hesitant to change from the regular lagoon view rooms of Tahiti, but we wanted to experience the concierge offerings and service of our favourite resort!

We arrived at around 11am. The valet service immediately started to unload our car and we were put on an Island Guide Cart to be taken to the Hawaii longhouse.

GCH Entrance

Upon entering the Hawaii longhouse we were very warmly greeted with leis and a delicious orange-guava juice. The concierge cast members were very warm and welcoming. Our three children were also offered a sweet from the desk and check-in was very quick and smooth - it is so much nicer being in the comfortable surroundings of Hawaii rather than the hustle and noise of the GCH. We were given our welcome packet with park maps, show/parade times and lots of details, and then we visited Magic Kingdom until our room was ready.
Concierge Lounge from Beach

When we returned at about 4pm, our room was ready. We requested first floor and this was granted. Our allocated room was 1504, just four rooms from the main entrance to the Hawaii longhouse and very close to the stairs up to the 2nd floor (main) area of the concierge lounge.

Room 1504

The room was sensational. We had a breathtaking view of the castle, it being positioned virtually directly in the middle of our patio - exactly in front of us. There were a few palm trees but they did not block the view of the castle. I soon realised that the view from the Hawaii rooms (of the castle) far outshine the castle views afforded from the lagoon view Tahiti longhouse rooms. The castle was so close and the music from Main Street USA (plus the fireworks from Cinderellabration) could be heard throughout the day. The room was in exceptional condition, very clean and everything appearing as new.

Room 1504 - Views

Like Ducks?!

So Beautiful...

This leads me on to one of the highlights of our stay. Mousekeeping at Hawaii were absolutely exceptional during our stay. We had the opportunity to meet some of the mousekeepers and they were very friendly and talkative. We received too many towel creations to count. Even the turndown service usually made a creation for us. Each day our room was cleaned very thoroughly and promptly (always before lunchtime). Most days they came in to clean the room the second we left. They did a truly exceptional job.

As it was our anniversary on our check-in day, we received more than a few surprises from the concierge. A beautiful card tied to balloons was delivered; hand signed in metallic ink by Mickey and Minnie. Furthermore, we received a cheery “Aloha” in the way of a white chocolate Mickey Mouse and tuxedo strawberries. DH also ordered some champagne as a surprise, which was placed in our room ready for when we returned from the Extra Magic Hours at Magic Kingdom that evening. We also received the complimentary Polynesian Resort “chocolate postcard” and a greeting card welcoming us to the concierge level.

Everything about our stay was perfect. The concierge cast members at the Polynesian are the friendliest I have ever come across. Worthy of particular, extra special mention are Meredith and Jeffery who both went out of their way to make our stay as magical as possible. I have never experienced such exceptional service. I found the concierge cast members of the Animal Kingdom Lodge and Grand Floridian to not even be a touch on the Polynesian staffs. We received some extra special surprises on our Illuminations Cruise, all arranged by the concierge. The phone call each night, detailing the weather and extra magic hour parks, plus wishing “magical dreams” was a nice touch as well.
Grand Floridian - 2 Bedroom Suite, Royal Palm Club (x1), RPC (x1), Garden View (x1)
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Savannah Concierge (x1)
Boardwalk Inn - Concierge (x1)
Yacht Club - Water View (x1)
Hard Rock Hotel - Garden View (x1), Club Level (x1)
Portofino Bay Hotel - Bay View (x1), Deluxe (x1) Trip Report
Disneyland Hotel Paris - Regular (x1), Castle Club Park View (x2) & Tinker Bell Suite (x1)
Newport Bay Club Paris - Admiral Floor (x1)
Grand Californian - Standard (x1) Concierge (x1)
Disneyland Hotel, California - Resort View (x1) Trip Report
Frances999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 02:22 PM   #2
Frances999
DIS Veteran

The lounge offerings were excellent. Chef Dick was away for part of our ten night stay, but was there for some. The evening offerings were delicious, including chicken lo-mein and vegetable spring rolls (plus pineapple and caramel sauce) and a selection of vegetables and children’s options. There was also pulled barbecue pork and fresh rolls, plus delicious beef skewers and shrimp. Another evening option was grilled chicken with Caesar/ranch salad plus macaroni cheese. Breakfast was the same each day, consisting of a selection of cereals, croissants, bagels, fruit and pastries. Out of all the offering, I thought breakfast was a little disappointing. There was limited variety and in my opinion it was simply mediocre. The orange-guava juice is delicious though! I must have had almost 100 glasses over the course of our 10 night stay!!

Beach from the Concierge Lounge (2nd Floor)

Castle from the Concierge Lounge (2nd Floor)

One of Chef Dick's amazing creations!

Delicious Beef Skewers and Egg Fried Rice!

Some of the amazing desserts offered during the 8pm 10pm service

More of the amazing desserts offered during the 8pm 10pm service

The location of the Hawaii longhouse is truly unbeatable. The volcano pool is literally right next door and it is also just a short walk to the quiet pool. The boat dock and GCH are also just seconds away. We hired a car, so never used the bus transportation, however, the boat and monorail services were fast and prompt. The number of boats they had operating was excellent (previous to being at The Polynesian we were at Portofino Bay Hotel - and their boat transportation was dreadful).

Volcano Pool during lightning ~ hence, empty!

Boutiki - a super new store! It had some great Polynesian-exclusive items.

The Quiet Pool

The beach outside the room was nice, but it got extremely busy during Wishes, as people flocked down from ‘Ohana and Kona to enjoy the fireworks from the beach. We simply watched the fireworks from our patio, or went up to the lounge. In the concierge lounge they pipe in the Wishes music and dim the lights. It is a truly wonderful atmosphere and great if it is raining. One night we just grabbed some coffee and hot chocolate and relaxed in the lounge with a great view of Wishes.

The lounge was often busy, most noticeably during the evening offerings and breakfast. We occasionally just took our food and drinks back to our room and ate out on the patio. I am glad that the Polynesian allow you to take the lounge offerings back to your room, as a week before we were at the Hilton concierge level in New York and they had a strict policy about taking food or drinks out of the lounge.

Overall this was one of our best stays yet. The Polynesian concierge is truly amazing - mainly due to the hard efforts of the incredible Hawaii cast members. The concierge lounge is perfect - and it must have one of the finest views in all of WDW. Mousekeeping was the best we have ever experienced and The Polynesian is still our favourite resort. We will no doubt return back to Hawaii really soon.

If you have any questions please ask! Mahalo!

Hawaii from the Magic Kingdom boat
Grand Floridian - 2 Bedroom Suite, Royal Palm Club (x1), RPC (x1), Garden View (x1)
Disneyland Hotel Paris - Regular (x1), Castle Club Park View (x2) & Tinker Bell Suite (x1)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2005, 02:49 PM   #3
Tikiman
He kuikawa ka 'ikena o kela wahi ho'oku ka'a e waiho kala'e ihola ma 'o!

Did you see me walking past your room on Sunday taking notes? I saw someone in the room because we were talking about the room Tara and I always get that was next to you.

Thanks for the report.

Aloha

Steve
Old 08-17-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Aloha Steve

No, I don't remember seeing you I would have been sure to have said an Aloha if I even knew that you would be at the resort at the same time as us! Was it a last minute trip you planned? Hope you had fun

Old 08-17-2005, 03:09 PM   #5
kahluacream
Mouseketeer

Thanks for sharing all of your beautiful pics! It looks like you had a great trip.

Our family has never stayed at the Polynesian before, but we're planning to make reservations there for our upcoming vacation.

A couple of quick questions...
We would like to stay concierge, but keep debating between garden and lagoon view. Do you think that LVC was worth the extra $$$? Did you find your first floor room to be fairly quiet, or could you hear the people above you?

Thank you!
kahluacream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:18 PM   #6
scoutsmom99
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Will travel a billion miles to ride Dumbo at MK
I get a little twinge everytime I pass a shoe section

Frances999,

I'm glad you had such a wonderful trip! Thanks for sharing all of the beautful pictures. I'm hoping to give the Poly a try next year sometime. The sunset picture you took is just amazing what beautiful colors
scoutsmom99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #7
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahluacream
A couple of quick questions...
We would like to stay concierge, but keep debating between garden and lagoon view. Do you think that LVC was worth the extra $$$? Did you find your first floor room to be fairly quiet, or could you hear the people above you?
Hi

I definitely think it was worth the extra $$$. I asked the same question as well whilst planning. I was worried after reading stories of the food offerings being reduced and the service being poor. I was also concerned about the single sink bathroom and slightly smaller room. However, it was perfect. It's worth it alone for the amazing service. The Cast Members really go out of their way to make your stay magical. We found the first floor room to be very quiet. We never heard any noise above us or from the corridors (corridor noise was a particular problem at Portofino Bay Hotel). We will continue to request first floor because, as much as I like the 3rd floor views, the direct beach/pool access is invaluable (especially with 3 children!)

Old 08-17-2005, 03:25 PM   #8
7thdwarf/dopey
Disney for Dopey and Dopey for Disney

Frances , thankyou for your wonderful and inspiring report. I loved your sunset photo.

Mahalo!

7thdwarf/dopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:42 PM   #9
scanne
OK, I must have really small ears
It is great to get exposure
Might get a tutorial from a student

Location: NJ but I wish I lived somewhere in Florida like Cinderella's Castle!

Alright, now you've done it! My DH is going to be very upset with you. YOu have totally and completely convinced me to go LVC on my next Polynesian visit! LOL!

Seriously though, your trip sounded completely magical and I am so glad you had such attentive CM's. How were the tuxedo strawberries? They looked amazing!

Happy Anniversary and Aloha!
1/92 CBR;12/96 ASMu; 6/98 CSR; 6/00 GF; 4/01 Disneyland; 6/01 Polynesian; 12/01 AK and GF; 8/03 WL; 2/04 ASMu; 10/04 WL; 7/05 Polynesian; 10/05 WL; 7/06 WL; 9/06 GF; 7/07 POP and Polynesian; 12/07 WL; 8/08 Beach Club; 6/09 Beach Club; 7/10 Portofino Bay and Polynesian; 8/11 Royal Pacific and WL; 10/11 - Animal Kingdom Lodge for MNSSHP; 7 and 8/12 Split stay at POR (Royal Guest Room) and Wilderness Lodge again ; 8/13 WL OFC!; 11/13 - Disneyland Paradise Pier; 2/2014 Wilderness Lodge/RunDisney!; 8/2014 Hard Rock Hotel/Beach Club - Stone Harbor Club/Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf for my 40th Birthday!

scanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:02 PM   #10
SeaSpray

Frankly Scallop, I don't give a clam!
Loud people give me Skull Pain!
Call me "impatient"

Welcome back! I'm so glad you had a wonderful stay at the Polynesian LVC. It's so nice to see others experience the same delight and excitement that we did!!! Thanks for sharing your pictures, too

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

~ Polynesian LVC July '10 ~ Polynesian LVC May '08 ~ RCI's 'Explorer of the Seas' Oct '07 ~ Polynesian LVC July '07 ~ Port Orleans Riverside May '07 ~ Disney Magic "Cruising Castaways" Cruise & Polynesian LVC Aug '06 ~ Animal Kingdom Lodge May '06 ~ Polynesian LVC Oct '05 ~ Wilderness Lodge CL & Polynesian LVC July '05 ~ Disney Magic 10-night "Lost at Sea" Hurricane Cruise Aug/Sept '04 ~ RCI Bermuda Cruise '03 ~ Caribbean Beach '02 ~ Grand Floridian LV '01 ~ Caribbean Beach '01 ~ DisneyLand '95 ~ WDW '85,'78,'76 ~
[/center]
SeaSpray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
LadyLuc361
DIS Veteran

Wow, great report. It sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait to try the Polynesian.

Me DH DD (Disney Dog)
LadyLuc361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:21 PM   #12
Julia M
DIS Veteran
not clever, not witty, but loyal!

Frances, how old are your kids? I am trying to decide if we want to give a preference (GV) for our trip, or just request the "nicest" room we can get

Our kids will be 13, 11 and 8. Since we're going in December, pool access isn't quite as big of deal, but I do like the idea of being on the first floor.

Any suggestions?

Julia
August 2004:Vistana & Marriott's Grand Vista.....Hurricane Charley.....what an experience for West Coasters!
Christmas at Disneyworld, 2005: Polynesian
July 2008: Cypress Point Grand villas & Hilton Grand Vacation Club....sharing Disneyworld with friends
January 2010: Boardwalk Villas for a Disney wedding....
February 2010: Saratoga Springs...TWIRLMANIA!!
July 2010: Beach Club Villas & Marriott Imperial Palms
July 2013: a day in Orlando.....what to do????
Julia M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:14 PM   #13
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Hi Julia

We have 2 DS's who are 3 and 7 plus a 5 year old DD. They love having the direct access to the beach from the room, and its great for us to be able to keep a very close eye on them.

Are you staying concierge? If so, I don't really know which Hawaii GV rooms are best, perhaps take a look at Tikiman's website. Those with the lowest numbers are closest to the lounge end of the longhouse, which is where the desks are located. For non-concierge, Tahiti is pretty good - right near the TTC and with a superb, very quiet beach (plus the larger rooms and double sink bathrooms).

Old 08-17-2005, 11:48 PM   #14
slo
Hmmm…What to poll…What to poll
I am a Tonga Toast junkie
Eek, a spider! Eek, falling!

Location: Indiana - Somewhere between Lake Michigan and Indianapolis

Great pictures!!

I almost feel as if I looked at my own pictures while looking at yours I loved everything about doing Concierge at The Poly too!! This year we are trying Concierge at The Contemporary and I hope we are as equally happy.

Me and my favorite little chef!!!!!

Sandy - A proud member of The TAGLIARCHY, Chicago DISers, & Fire Dept Wives
slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 02:20 AM   #15
WDW Poly Princess
Needs a Disney Fix
Cannot, under any circumstances, say no to a glazed Krispy Kreme
Let's just hope that I never get drunk and end up with Snape tattooed on my butt

Thanks for all the pictures! I'm awfully "homesick", can't wait to go back!

But Why is the Rum Gone? The Disneyween Trip ~*~No Day But Today- January 2007 Report

May 2000 - Poly & DCL * May 2001-WL, PO-R & ASMo * Dec 2001- PO-R, AKL, Poly, and WL * Nov 2002 -ASMu,Poly and PO-R * Dec 2004- ASMu, WL, PO-FQ, Poly, and PO-R * Dec 2005- ASMu, OKW and the Swan * Feb 2006- Pop Century * Jan 2007- ASMu, WL, AKL and BCV* Oct 2007-AS Sp,OKW, BCV, POR * Dec 2007- Gave up and moved there!

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your former self.
WDW Poly Princess is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: