Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2005, 08:57 AM   #1
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

We ate, I cheated, and it was...PICS ADDED!

so worth it!
(ETA pics - sorry at the Character meals I was too busy trying to get pics and autographs to worry about the darn food!)

This was a last minute trip, we decided Thursday night to go up to Orlando for the weekend as DH had a softball tournament in Orlando on Saturday. So all dining arrangements were made Friday and beyond. Our cast consisted of myself, DH - otherwise known as Charming, and DD's 2 and 6 months except for one breakfast which lost Charming and gained the DM and DS (who just got hired as MINNIE!! I am a proud sis even though she is in fur!)

So Friday we were booked for the Concourse Steakhouse, I had tried to get in to Ohana but they were booked for the evening. On the way to Orlando I was relentless in my quest for Ohana...I called back to Disney Dining about 4 times and I finally recieved my request of an 8:20 seating. It's great to be a princess!

After checking in, my dear Charming unloaded the car and we were then on our way to our Ohana dinner. We arrived, valet parked and headed upstairs. We took the double stroller and - get this - walked RIGHT up to the check in desk! I told the hostess this is the FIRST time I have been to Ohana where I did not have to wait in line to check in! She laughed and said, well, we were waiting for you. So I got the pager and we took a few steps over to the Tambu Lounge. DD#1 and I bellied up to the bar and DH stood with the stroller, and of course, DD#2. We glanced over the adult beverage menu and decided upon an Island Sunset for me, Strawberry Daiquiri for DD - virgin of course) and hmmm a Bud heavy for DH. The Island Sunset was heavenly! I loved it! DD loved the SD, especially the umbrella - we had to ask for an additional 'brella - and what can I say about the King of Beers? We settled in with our drinks and the Bucs game on the big screen (they won by the way!!) I was just about to lick the bottom of my glass for any remaining when DD noticed we were lighting up and vibrating. We were off!! Of course we asked Charming to stop and pay the bar keep for our fabulous drinks...$15.75 after DDE $13.42 (prior to tip)

Here we are at the bar with our drinks....

We were greeted by our "seater" who lead us through the dining area (stopping to get some infamous bread) to the most enchanting round table with a perfect view of the CASTLE, Space Mountain and the Grand Floridian. Ah, who cares about the last two - we had a CASTLE view! After the initial excitement calmed down a little we were then free to look over the updated menu....my green beans are indeed gone! I was a tad upset but oh well. Our Cousin Stephanie came to check on us and then our lazy susan arrive overflowing - literally - they brought two extra bowls one of salad and one of the Ohana potatoes. So we dug in....sugar snap pea veggie combo was a tad undercooked and I didn't eat much of those, the potatoes were good but not as good as those green beans would have been. The fried wontons were wonderful....I could have polished off the bowl myself but felt Charming and DD deserved a few as well. Bring on the meat!!! All three of us only had steak and shrimp...simply because we have eaten here plenty of times and decided that the pork and turkey are kind of blah....SO...loved the steak, could have been more rare as I like mine still moooooing....but DD and Charming loved it as they are MRare kind of peeps. The shrimp was awesome...the huge pink Key West variety, with a little spice to them. I love shrimp but I am too girly about getting my fingers dirty by peeling them. Luckily Charming is happy to oblige both his girls.

Charming likes a Coke with his meals while I prefer more of an adult beverage. I ordered a glass of Rosemont Chardonnay. Cousin Stephanie brought it promptly while DD got up to hula hoop...keep in mind she can't hula hoop....but she had such fun she did the second round as well. The evening entertainment, while quite good, is sooo loud...and how many times can you hear Tiny Bubbles?

Hula hooping...

Then - my favorite part...the pineapple with caramel sauce....Ohhhhh it was even better than I remembered.....DD wanted ice cream and since she was soooo well behaved I obliged...and she had a HUGE bowl of what looked like Breyers Vanilla and Charming said that it tasted as such as well. To make the evening more enchanting....we were greeted with the Wishes firework spectacular while enjoying our dessert. So, while longwinded...it was a great meal, good service and fantastic view. Disclaimer....the service and views are always hit or miss but the food never disappoints. $60.95 - 2 adult meals and one glass of Chardonnay, we were not charged for DD's ice cream - after DDE $48.76 (prior to tip).

Charming with his pineapple...

Saturday morning greeted us with the thrill of 1900 Park Fare all you care to enjoy breakfast. Charming left early for his tournament and we met up with my mom and sis (a new Minnie!) We walked right in - to greet us was Mary Poppins - in her "street clothes". The seater was waiting to take us to our table but we had to stop for the photo op and autographs. We were seated promptly and very close to the buffet. We were at a large table, which had two extra seats, but the restaurant was not crowded at all. I set up DD’s and mom and sis went to fix their plates. We saw Alice, the Mad Hatter, Pooh and Eeyore. (I still have yet to figure our what MP, Pooh friends and the Wonderland gang all have to do with each other) We all got our pictures and autographs. My sister spent the breakfast tracing over Alice’s signature and comparing herself to her…she is obsessed and is auditioning to be Alice next week. DD ate three Mickey waffles while I had two along with the Southwest eggs and potato mix. The trouble, I feel with character buffets….is that I am up trying to get food while worried that I am missing someone coming to our table. And then when you get a plate of hot food – the characters come by and the food gets cold by the time you turn around. Oh well… so the buffet foods were nice variety all hot…the ice cream machine was working because the lady next me filled up a plate full! Our server was not as attentive as need be. All of our glasses remained empty for half the meal til I could flag her down. Overall… a nice breakfast buffet – would probably not do it again only because if we are going to do a character breakfast it’s going to be in the castle. My mom picked up the bill (thanks mom!) But it was three adults less the DDE discount…you do the math.

We headed over to Magic Kingdom to hit some rides…and ended up only getting bottled water (at various locations) as well as a snack pack of Ritz Bitz crackers for DD over by the Haunted Mansion. I was waiting on Charming to call so I could make some dinner reservations – at this point we had none! Around 1:30 we headed back to our resort and departed from Mom and Dsis…The girls and I regrouped and headed up to the Intermission Food Court. The place was empty which was great as I had both girls and the double stroller alone! I ordered a Chicken Quesadilla platter which came with fries and a side of fries for DD….I balanced both orders in the stroller and paid…$9.04 before DDE $7.26 after…no tip involved. I had to pass by the Singing Spirits Pool Bar and felt the need to have a nice cool Calypso Colada…made it a double for $7.75. No DDE used here. We headed back to the room while I balanced a 6 month old in a Baby Bjorn, a double stroller with a 2 year old and our food in and a double Calypso Colada. The drink was ok…would not get it again. The CQ was good but it had too much chicken in it. The fries we could have fed the ducks but not wanting to break the rules we just pitched out. They were soggy and gross. It was enough to hit the spot and the girls went down for a nap while I watched TV and thought about where I could get last minute dinner reservations.

About 4pm Charming called and was on his way….yeah I could finally call Disney Dining. SO after dialing 55 on my resort phone and being connected right away I was highly dismayed to find California Grill was booked….I guess I am not a princess after all. She tried Le Celliar..which I am not a fan of but wanted to give it a second try..they were not accepting any more reservations. The Hollywood Brown Derby was next…got an 8pm slot! Now I could relax until dinner.

Charming made it back safe and we all got ready and boarded the glass coach for our trip to the Studios. We arrived at the Hollywood Brown Derby a little before 8 and had about a 10 minute wait. We were seated in the side room just before the outside dining. First off those chairs and that slick floor are NOT made for each other. I had to hold DD’s chair the entire evening. We started off with a bottle of the 50th anniversary bottle of Lake Buena Vista Chardonnay and a glass of milk for DD. I think both Charming and I thought the bottle would be “special” in some way – a commerative to the celebration, but alas, it was a plain on Chardonnay bottle. The wine was heaven to the nose…and tasted quite good. Our wine came before DD’s milk and before the water we had also ordered. This type of service was a prelude to the rest of the meal. We then chose the Cobb Salad for two. An assistant server brought it out and Charming asked if there was any lettuce in it….the server laughed and asked if he could toss it for us…of course! The salad was DELICIOUS! I loved it! I could not believe there was French dressing on there….you could not taste it. While it was a large salad Charming managed to polish it off…he had been playing ball all day and was hungry! Believe it or not a basket of rolls were then brought out. DD had one as did Charming…I chose to pass, they must have been good as they both finished theirs. For dinner, I chose the Yellowfin Tuna, Charming had the Filet Mignon and DD had a Fruit Cup with Mango Sherbert – yes we let her order dessert for dinner -. I did take pictures and will post as soon as I get them back….the presentations of both our meals was fabulous. Too bad they were both COLD. The tuna was excellent. Had it been warm it would have been fabulous. Charming also loved his filet and we both shared bites…the filet was melt in your mouth but still cold. We then ordered one 50th Anniversary dessert to share. It was a Chocolate Mousse/Cake type thing. It had a chcocolate spray of the castle on the plate. The mousse had an orange taste to it which I don’t like but Charming and DD fought over who was getting the last bite – so they liked it. I licked the castle off the plate…not as in tougne to plate but finger to plate to mouth. It was delicious. The food was excellent – but as I said before – cold…we will be back here to give it another try – the service could have been much better. I hate not having something to drink at all times and trying to flag someone down. We would request a booth or a table on carpeting as well. Those chairs just kept sliding all night. If I moved the char would slide and it was quite annoying. There were several large parties in there that night. One had a very upset child who was taken outside several times. The parties tended to be quite loud as Uncle Joe wanted to be heard over Uncle Bob every time. $122.09 after DDE $97.67.

Cobb salad...

The tuna...

the filet....

The 50th dessert....

the 50th dessert being demolished!

We finished up and headed to a few shops and then back to the resort…we needed our beauty sleep as tomorrow we had a reservation for CRT….could not let the princesses be more beautiful…J

I was up at 6am…our reservation was for 8:05…MK is the worst park to “get in to” as far as having to park…get on a monorail/boat, then to the gates….we parked and walked to the TTC and boarded a monorail. DD had on her Cinderella costume and looked gorgeous! We arrived at the MK only to line up to wait to get in. So at 8 they started the breakfast lines and of course every line was moving faster than ours. We stopped up Main Street for a few photos…and then walked right in to Cinderella’s Royal Table. We were taken up the elevator to “our” table…right in front of the window. I say OUR table as we have been seated at the same table the past three visits there! We all chose the hot breakfast as opposed to the yougurt and granola option. Our server filled our juice glasses and brought coffee for Charming…We were served a pastry basket as well as a fruit cup. Everyone dug in while I got everything situated. Then our breakfast came out. Consisting of scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes and the cream cheese filled pastry. They brought out DD French toast sticks and ever brought a plate of them for my 6 month old….?? Men….

I had no time to dig in as the “girls” (as we so like to call them) arrived promptly after the hot meal was served. We were greeted by Snow White, Sleeping Booty (as DD likes to call her), Mary Poppins (in her good clothes), Belle and Cinderella. We only had three spaces in our autograph book left so I had to be a little choosy (I had bought the book the day before and it was full already!!) – We needed Belle and then Snow White spotted the book so I couldn’t tell her um…no we don’t need your autograph. We had pictures with all…we had to tear the bacon away from DD in a few and even DD#2 who had her Belle dress on got in a few. All the girls were wonderful and got on the floor to pose and even held the baby. After they were done with the round…I turned to eat my breakfast which was now cold…but no matter, I ate away. The potatoes were awesome. Those are my favorite and what else can I say about eggs, bacon and sausage. The usual breakfast fare never disappoints but was nothing spectualer. We finished up eating a DD made a little friend across the table and they both were looking out the window at the Carousel and Dumbo….we’ve done this before and will definitely do it again. I do love the breakfast fare but next time will be Charming’s turn to do the pics and autographs while his Princess sits back and gobbles up the food. $46.84 before DDE and $38.10 after…

That pretty much sums up our short weekend trip. Looking forward to going back!

Oh and it apears we did not feed our other Princess but I assure you she had her fill of fabulous baby food and formula.
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!

Last edited by lillygator; 08-16-2005 at 09:23 PM.
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:41 AM   #2
allie&mattsmom
Mouseketeer
I am Jakes favorite, hands down
I can't say I've ever seen an inflatable "deflated"

Sounds like you had a great weekend and how cool is it to be so close to do a last minute trip like that!! Your review of O'hana's brought back wonderful memories, we just ate there last Thursday night! It was so tasty!!
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
LiteBrite
I'm a 3-5 wearings girl in the winter
I'm a free spirit when it comes to cutlery presentation
said tomato is residing in my tummy
I'm pretty sure I wore my bra in there

So did you actually get ADRs for Sunday morning at CRT by calling on Friday, 2 days before? Amazing!
Old 08-15-2005, 11:00 AM   #4
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiteBrite
So did you actually get ADRs for Sunday morning at CRT by calling on Friday, 2 days before? Amazing!
Yep!

I have managed to do this several times last minute. There usually are cancellations but then there are also vultures like me calling to snatch them up. I had a couple time options for Sunday as well.
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
Old 08-15-2005, 12:00 PM   #5
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

Great reviews! Thanks!
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

what a fantastic review, i could see crt as i was reading it
thank you

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 04:10 PM   #7
curiouser
Keep believing, keep pretending...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator
(I still have yet to figure our what MP, Pooh friends and the Wonderland gang all have to do with each other)

They all come from the UK
curiouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #8
Snurk71
DIS Veteran

I think the UK is actually the connection. Memory says the breakfast used to be titled "Storybook", as in english stories from the late 19th or early 20th century (whenever they were all originally written).

I think they're calling it the supercalifragilistic breakfast now.
Snurk71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 03:15 AM   #9
tclowe
Mouseketeer

thanks for the great report. We plan on eating at O'hanas, 1900 Park Faire for breakfast, and Brown Derby for Fantasmic package. Your detailed comments helped a lot.
tclowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 04:00 AM   #10
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Enjoyed reading your review ~ Thanx for posting.
Minniespal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 05:39 AM   #11
MinnieM21
I've been to Disneyland a billion times but I don't even know what WDW looks like! (psst...there are tons of pictures of WDW on the Internet!)
Loves to ride Bud Light with her mom

Great reviews! Ohanas sounds so delicious, I'm definately eating there on one of my trips.
MinnieM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 06:29 PM   #12
PatsGirl
Kids will write the darndest things
I'm a fan of the Red Sox and anyone who beats the Yankees
I can't believe my parents lived through my shenanigans

Great review, had alot of fun reading it. From one MOm to another -- CHeers on allowing fruit and sherbert for dinner. I often allow my children to order ice cream or sherbert dishes for their meal when we are on vacation in a warm climate. Rather this than pay the $6 for a meal they will pick at while resenting me
Last night my sister and I were sitting in the den and I said to her, "I never want to live in a vegetative state, dependent on some machine and fluids from a bottle to keep me alive. That would be no quality of life at all. If that ever happens, just pull the plug!" So she got up, unplugged the computer, and threw out my wine.

Brenda , Ed :Jacob 24 Alexandra 17 and two steps ~ Shawn 25 Nichole 24

SO turned husband March 2013

Next up ~ Halloween Horror Nights 2013 at Universal

F&W/FD for September 2012 with DD and SO who's a Disney virgin...this could be a dealbreaker

Celebrated my 50th with DD at Disneyland April 2011
PatsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2005, 09:25 PM   #13
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!

pictures added!
Old 08-17-2005, 08:00 AM   #14
nluvwithmickey
DIS Veteran

Just saw your pics, looked like you had a blast! Thanks for posting.
nluvwithmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 12:30 PM   #15
scoutsmom99
Member of the 'Jambo! WildBunch'
Will travel a billion miles to ride Dumbo at MK
I get a little twinge everytime I pass a shoe section

What great reviews! I always love it when people post pics as well that dessert at BD sounds delicious.
scoutsmom99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: