Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2015, 07:06 PM   #1
Debby7
DIS Veteran

Dining Seating ?

We just booked our very first cruise!! We are a group of 4 sailing on the
Magic. Could someone tell us how the seating is done for dining? We are a group of 4. How many other people will be at our table ? We are all adults, will we end up sitting with a family(young children)?. Will we always be seated with the same people? Trying to get a feel for how this is done.
Thanks!
Debby7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:12 PM   #2
CT Mom of 3
Mouseketeer

I always call and request that my 3 kids and I are seated at our own table and it's always been honored. If you were to be seated with anyone else, you would be for the entire cruise.

CT Mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
DisneyFanInTexas
Earning My Ears

Are there any tables for 3? Or are they 2 and 4?
DisneyFanInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:22 PM   #4
dragynally
Mouseketeer

Disney tries to group similar people together. So if you have no kids and they seat you with someone they will most likely not have kids either.
dragynally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:25 PM   #5
disney1990
Wow, it make my heart skip a beat
I'm going to miss these when the season ends
Lighting the Way to Paradise

Wherever my DH and I travel without our grandchildren, we are either seated alone or with a group of other adults.

disney1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFanInTexas View Post
The tables are 4, 6, & 8 tops. Sometimes they may push some tables together for larger parties.

As noted, DCL seems to match the demographics of each reservation with others that are the same. On those cruises that we were seated with others (we've always cruised with adults only), we've been seated with other adults. The ones where we weren't, we were a party large enough for our own table.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 07:44 PM   #7
Donna M
DIS Veteran

On our last cruise we were placed with another couple who were about our ages, and very enjoyable.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:28 PM   #8
over50visits
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debby7 View Post
We just booked our very first cruise!! We are a group of 4 sailing on the
Magic. Could someone tell us how the seating is done for dining? We are a group of 4. How many other people will be at our table ? We are all adults, will we end up sitting with a family(young children)?. Will we always be seated with the same people? Trying to get a feel for how this is done.
Thanks!
Great question! If you don't do anything, you may be seated with a compatible (generally if you have kids with a family with kids, if you are adults then with other adults).

If you want your own table, just ask. They have plenty of tables for four. Contact Disney ahead of time and put in that request.

Finally, if after the first night your tablemates aren't your cup of tea, a single word to the headwaiter will fix that. It really isn't a problem.

We've enjoyed sitting alone for many cruises, and have enjoyed every single person we've shared a table with for many cruises. Some were quiet, some colorful, but with the right attitude you can have a ball visiting each evening with folks basically your same age group who are also Disney fans.

Finally, unless you take the initiative to specifically be moved after the first night, you will have the same table mates for the entire cruise.

If you google "disney cruise dining room" you'll see plenty of pictures that give you an excellent feel for how the seating is done, what the main dining rooms look like, etc.

What fun...first cruises have got to be the best.
over50visits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 09:31 PM   #9
Savikins
DIS Veteran

If you want your own table, simply call and request. The smallest tables fit 4 people. We have requested a private table as a party of 2 for 2/3 of our past cruises, and we were granted our request both times.

On our first cruise, we did not request a private table and were seated with 2 other young couples without children. We're FB friends with one of the couples.

'95, '96, '97, '98 – Off site
Jan '01 – ASMo | May '01 – POR | Mar '02 – CBR | Oct '03 – YC | Nov '03 – POR | Jun '04 -WL | Jul '04 – CSR | Aug '04 - POR & POFQ | Dec '04 – WL | May '05 – YC | Jul '05 - WL | Aug '05 - WL | Jan '06 - POP | Jun '06 - WL Concierge | Jul '06 – BWI | Sep '06 - POR | Mar '07 - POR | Sep '07 – BC | Oct '07 - POR | Feb '08 - Dolphin | May '08 - WL Concierge | Jun '09 - Swan | Sep '09 - BW Villas | Dec '09 – SSR | Jun '10 - Dolphin | Jun '10 – WL | Jan '12 – POP | Sep '12 – POR | May '13 – POP | Feb '14 - Dream 3 Night | April '14 - CBR | April '14 - POFQ | May '14 - CSR | May '14 - POFQ | Oct '14 - Fantasy 7 Night (Eastern) | Dec '14 - Wonder 5 Night (Western)
Savikins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:45 PM   #10
jiminy14
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFanInTexas View Post
We were a party of three on our December Magic cruise and we were seated at a 6 person table by ourselves. We had requested to be seated by ourselves ahead of time by calling DCL. It helped that we had the second dinner seating and there were lots of available tables.
jiminy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:54 AM   #11
NCConch
Mouseketeer

We are a party of four (two teens) and last year we were seated at an 8-top with a mother and her teen son. This year we had our own 4-top. We have never requested a specific setting - though I would prefer to sit with others. Bear in mind that the dining rooms are closely laid out and the neighboring tables are only inches away.

1st Disney Cruise - Dec 26-29, 2013 on the Dream
2nd Disney Cruise - Jan 2-5, 2015 in the Dream

NCConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 09:02 AM   #12
Sir William
DIS Veteran

We've done two cruises with our adult children. On both we've had our own table. We've never made any special requests.

When DW and I have traveled as a couple, we've always been seated with two other couples, which we've enjoyed each time.
DL 1956; DL 1961; DL 1963; DL 1972; WDW 1979; DL 1983; WDW 1994; WDW Mar 1996; WDW (SOG) Aug 2000; WDW (SOG) Jan 2001; WDW (SOG) Jan 2005; Disney Magic, Western Caribbean, Jan 2011; WDW July 2011 (off-site); DVC (SSR) July 2010; Disney Magic, Bahamas, May 2012; WDW (SSR) May 2012; DVC (Aulani) May 2012; Aulani Apr 2013; DVC (SSR & BWV) June 2013; WDW (VWL) Mar 2014; Disney Dream, Bahamas, Mar 2014; Disney Magic, Mediterranean, May-Jun 2014

Sir William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:42 AM   #13
snchpnz
Mouseketeer

I don't know how I feel about the seating. On our first cruise it was just my bf and I in a big 6 or 8 seater table with an Asian couple who would sit at the other end. We were seated so far apart from them it was like having our own table. We were always in the back of the rooms and it felt very quiet. We never even said hi to them. On our second cruise my mom came along with us and they sat us with a big family. It was an older couple with their adult kids. That one was a little more uncomfortable because the table was packed every night and since it was just three of us we kind of felt pushed into a corner. It wasn't bad though, we are just not social people. We also would have preferred more space. So, on our third cruise it was just the bf and I again so we decided to request a table just for the two of us. BIG MISTAKE! We were seated at table between two families with small children. The tables were only a few inches apart so it was almost as if we were sitting with them. It was awful! The kids on both sides were out of control. It made me wish we were back with the big family pushing us into a corner. On our next trip it's the bf and I with my mother again. I'm not sure if I should request a table for three or just let Disney sit us wherever they want. So far it's been a somewhat better experience when we let Disney decide for us. At least they keep us away from the families with small children.
snchpnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 11:48 AM   #14
Dug720
SQUIRREL!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snchpnz View Post
I don't know how I feel about the seating. On our first cruise it was just my bf and I in a big 6 or 8 seater table with an Asian couple who would sit at the other end. We were seated so far apart from them it was like having our own table. We were always in the back of the rooms and it felt very quiet. We never even said hi to them. On our second cruise my mom came along with us and they sat us with a big family. It was an older couple with their adult kids. That one was a little more uncomfortable because the table was packed every night and since it was just three of us we kind of felt pushed into a corner. It wasn't bad though, we are just not social people. We also would have preferred more space. So, on our third cruise it was just the bf and I again so we decided to request a table just for the two of us. BIG MISTAKE! We were seated at table between two families with small children. The tables were only a few inches apart so it was almost as if we were sitting with them. It was awful! The kids on both sides were out of control. It made me wish we were back with the big family pushing us into a corner. On our next trip it's the bf and I with my mother again. I'm not sure if I should request a table for three or just let Disney sit us wherever they want. So far it's been a somewhat better experience when we let Disney decide for us. At least they keep us away from the families with small children.
You do bring up a very good point about how close together the tables can be. You might as well be sitting with the table next to you in some cases. And I suspect the more tables they have to pull apart to accommodate all the "my own table" requests, the closer they will get because the dining rooms are a fixed size and fixed areas for the tables to be placed.

(Side note: For all those who don't like sharing with other people, don't ever go to the Biergarten in EPCOT because there is no "our own table" option unless you're a huge group.)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: