Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2005, 12:10 AM   #1
Leslie32
Going to disneyworld for the first time EVER!!!

Thumbs down Back from Disneyworld and used the MYW dining Plan, had some problems

Hi everyone, first off I want to say the dining plan was well worth it. I figured out we saved over 400 dollars on food doing the dining plan and oh we ate good and alot, LOL. I have to work off the weight I gained. Anyway the only complaints I have about the plan is first

We ate at Ohanas and the waiter said because you are on the dining plan you can only have pineapple for Dessert. If you would like any other dessert you will have to pay for it. Did anyone else have this problem?? I know before I left I hadn't heard that Ohanas was limiting the dessert on the plan. I was very mad about this.

Second we ate at Le Celliers and it was great but they said we couldn't get the dessert that had all the samples of the desserts they have. I think it was called the signature dessert tray, I don't remember but I know it was the highest price one and I couldn't get that. Did anyone else have this problem?

Third at Angelos the Italian Restaurant at Epcot they said I couldn't get two things since I was on the dining plan one was the fetuchini appetizer and the other one was an appetizer also but forgot which one it was.

Fourth The only place that the kids could get an appetizer was Concourse steakhouse. All the other restaurants wouldn't let my kids order an appetizer off the adult menu.

The only thing I noticed at some of the restaurants is that the service wasn't as good after I told them we were on the dining plan. Now it may of been all in my head for thinking that but as I looked around and people with the same waiter were getting their glasses refilled all the time and we weren't I was getting suspicious.

These are the only complaints I had about the plan. The counter services were great didn't have any problem. I really didn't mind Le Cellier and Angelos having some restrictions on their appetizers and Desserts because they had a lot of other stuff to choose from but Ohanas I am upset with them because just having pineapple for dessert and the way he said because you are on the dining plan you can only get pineapple ticked me off.

I do recommend the plan definatley. We wouldn't of been able to eat as good as we did if they didn't have the plan. Also my favorite restaurant that we ate on the plan was Concourse Steakhouse. We saved the most there. The waitress was awesome, she said my girls could get the drinks with the glowing ice cubes on the plan, those were about 5.00 each. They had no restrictions on what to get. I loved that place.

Leslie32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 12:42 AM   #2
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012

Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!

That 'Ohana issue doesn't seem right. As far as I know, the pineapple and fortune cookies are INCLUDED in the cost of your dinner. I'd have politely asked to see a manager.
kaytieeldr is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-25-2005, 12:45 AM   #3
aabinion
Earning My Ears

I got the trio dessert sampler at Le Cellier and we were on the dining plan, but I don't think I mentioned that I was on the plan until the very end. I kept forgetting to mention that even though I was supposed to. Maybe that is why nobody treated me differently. I can't help you with O'hana's because we were so full we didn't ask for a different dessert. I had heard that they were not letting you get another dessert before we left for disney though. I think it depended on the waiter/waitress. I did notice that some included things that others didn't. The waiter at the Brown Derby took the Fantasmic Package out of my Dining Plan creduts after I had heard that they absolutely would not except the dining plan for that. It messed up all my plans but the cm at the Wilderness Lodge corrected it for me. I had intended to pay for that out of pocket.
aabinion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:00 AM   #4
NewEnglandDisney
Just My Opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Glad you got a good value out of the plan. However, in the three instances you cited, they were just following the rules :

1) When you get a buffet/family style meal on the plan it includes the standard meal only. The standard meal at 'Ohana is the pineapple dessert. The other desserts are not included in the one-price, so they are not included on the dining plan either. Everyone has to pay extra if they want something in addition to the included dessert. If you read your plan materials, it differentiates between a regular TS and a buffet/family style one.

2) The dessert samplers, being intended for more than one person, are not going to be included either. I agree it should be spelled out more clearly.

3) The dining plan includes 1 appetizer, 1 entree, and 1 dessert. I assume you tried to order two appetizers instead of an appetizer and an entree? The reason that doesn't work is that the computer will not recognize and appetizer as an entree and won't allow you to use a credit for it. The CM has no control over that.

Glad you enjoyed the plan anyway - hope this helps you feel better (that they weren't targetting you, hehe)!

N.E.D.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
the kabuki
DIS Cast Member
Has Drama Kings at home!

I do have to wonder about the service issues. Are the waiters/waitresses not being tipped as well with people on the dining plan ? Not you specifically mind , just in general?

Horse People are Stable People
the kabuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:14 AM   #6
imatoad
DIS Veteran

I thought I'd read that the tip included with the dining plan is somewhere around 15%. If this is accurate, the wait staff should have no complaints as they are GUARANTEED a decent tip. I understand that tips are the majority of their wage, but if someone is not on the plan, they might leave less than what the plan automatically gives.
imatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:21 AM   #7
VistaLeigh'smommy
vista is my kitty
Takes her leftovers home but won't eat them

They are tipped off of the total tab so it makes sense for them to let you add things on (like the glow cube drinks). It's in their best interest. Also if they are nice to you there is always the chance that someone might leave extra money so they could easily make 20%. I am sure they make no more then 10% of their sales at the end of the night with or without the meal plan.

Married October 5th, 2007 at Sunset Pointe
VistaLeigh'smommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:25 AM   #8
klh999
Mouseketeer

Deleted...
June 2003 Disneyland Hotel
Dec 1986 Beach Club
Dec 1986 Disney Cruise "Big Red Boat

Last edited by klh999; 07-25-2005 at 07:48 PM.
klh999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 08:31 AM   #9
NY Disney fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klh999
imatoad...

I am in the restaurant business in NY. 15% is not considered a "descent" tip.

Then maybe their employers should pay them what they are worth.
NY Disney fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:02 AM   #10
NMW
DIS Veteran

I have heard from other people that other desserts at Ohana are NOT included in the dining plan. I also can understand not letting children order adult appetizers. I think I've read on these boards that some places have now added child appetizers to their menu. What bothers me is that you thought the service was not as good because you were on the dining plan. That's really a shame. We did the old Dreammaker Gold plan in Dec 2003 and the service was fantastic. However, even with that plan, if something was meant for more than one person (like the dessert at le Celliar) that many people HAD to get it. One person could not get something made for 2.

klh999, I agree that 15% is not a good tip. We always left more than the 15% included in the gold plan when we paid cash for our alcohol drinks.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:03 AM   #11
pennyplanner
DIS Veteran

I think the problem at Alfredo's in Epcot is that there are appetizers that serve more than one person. For example, there is an antipasto that serves 2-4 people and costs $24.95. I am guessing that would not be eligible for counting as one appetizer.

Just a guess.

I think the 'Ohana meal is exactly as fellow New Englander states, one price includes the "meal deal" with the standard dessert of pineapple with carmel. How does anyone fit in more dessert after all that food anyway?

Tipping at 15% is not enough in my book unless the service was mediocre.

Looking forward to your reviews!

--penny
pennyplanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:30 AM   #12
Luigi's Girl
DIS Veteran

I am not in the restaraunt business and wouldn't dare leave a 15% tip unless the service was absolutely horrible. We always leave 20% (after tax is added in) especially at WDW. Sometimes even more if service is over the top and the whole experience is magical.
Luigi's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:37 AM   #13
BluOrchid2
Princess Aurora's Mommy
WL VET

Well as far as I know, 15% is still the standard here in the Midwest, and that is usually what I leave. I leave 20% if the service was outstanding.
August 2003 Wilderness Lodge
November 2003 The Swan
August 2004 Wilderness Lodge (Hurricane Charley stayed with us! )
September 2005 Port Orleans French Quarter
October 2006 Port Orleans French Quarter
September 2008 Port Orleans French Quarter
December 2009 POFQ
BluOrchid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 09:43 AM   #14
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

I agree that 15% is still standard around our area. I even know people who insist it should be 15% before tax.

To the OP, if you were dining at 'Ohana without the dining plan, other desserts are not included. You were treated fairly.

And since you were paying about $10/child/day, it doesn't surprise me that you weren't able to order appetizers for your kids. Many of WDW appetizers cost at least that.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:44 AM   #15
Luigi's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluOrchid2
Well as far as I know, 15% is still the standard here in the Midwest, and that is usually what I leave. I leave 20% if the service was outstanding.
You might be right. I never thought about the different standards in other parts of the country.

BTW your pictures are great!
Luigi's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: