Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2007, 04:13 PM   #91
4mickey2
disney+bichons=happiness

i guess you could say our family is cheating. we bought the small globes at menards..

the large globe is a lamp post top (also at menards). it has all the electrical stuff for the lamp. so, just put in your ears and buy a lamp post and you are set..

we didn't buy the lamp post. we bought pvc and are able to slip the whole lamp w/post onto another in the yard or slide it off and take it with us camping...

4mickey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #92
DebbieT11
Waiting to go back......
Wait. Isn't that the *marines*????

My DH has been working on one of these for us.... the only difference I'm seeing is that he used a hot melt glue gun to attach the ears to the head. Dried fast and clear, and is still a bit pliable to handle the road movement. Now, to decide where to store him....lol....
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2007, 10:14 PM   #93
ButchsLilPrincess
Oh WOW my very own Princes and Princess

subscribing

i'll need to find this again in thehopefully near future .. I think ineed a few of these for theses for myself and the rest of my disney crazy family lol ..
ButchsLilPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 03:30 PM   #94
schase726
Disney Native

Question Mickey Globe Lamps

Hi out there... My family and I just returned home today from the Fort and we want to know if there is any place we can buy one of the mickey globe lamp posts? We saw quite a few of them at the fort this weekend and now we have to have one or two. Please let me know!
schase726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:07 PM   #95
Shorty82
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by schase726 View Post
Hi out there... My family and I just returned home today from the Fort and we want to know if there is any place we can buy one of the mickey globe lamp posts? We saw quite a few of them at the fort this weekend and now we have to have one or two. Please let me know!
The globe ones can't be bought and are home-made. Instructions on how to make one are in this thread.

We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious…
and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.

-Walt Disney

Keep moving forward
Shorty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:32 AM   #96
Fayelyn
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up Mickey lamppost

Thankfor the directions my husband made one it turned out beautiful
Fayelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:36 PM   #97
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

After drooling over the lights in this thread I have finally tried my hand at making them. I made 2 Mickey's and a Minnie. My DM will get one of the Mickey Lamp posts for Christmas as we saw so many at FW in August and she loved them as much as me. The other Mickey and the Minnie will travel with us in our camper, but also look terrific on our new Deck.

Here are is a daytime photo.

I'll try to take a night time photo tonight and post it for you.

Thanks for all the inspiration. I am so happy.

Deb
my3princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:36 PM   #98
Praise2Him
DIS Veteran

Those are great! What did you make Minnie's bow out of? And how did you do it?

If I ever make one, I'd have to have Minnie because she's my favorite! (Shhh, don't tell Mickey! LOL)

Rodney Lisa Kenton Tiffany Kevin Leighton Jayden Lana
Praise2Him is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:40 PM   #99
my3princes

Here are the night pictures of my new lamps

Deb
Old 09-30-2007, 10:51 PM   #100
my3princes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praise2Him View Post
Those are great! What did you make Minnie's bow out of? And how did you do it?

If I ever make one, I'd have to have Minnie because she's my favorite! (Shhh, don't tell Mickey! LOL)
Minnie was much more complicated. First I made the Mickey Head. Then I decided that I needed a 5 foot length of red rope lights. Did you know that you can't buy 5 foot lengths of rope lights, at least they aren't available around here and I didn't want to pay shipping costs. After researching rope lights I determined that most run in 18" circuits which meant that I could cut them as long as my length was divisible by 18" so six feet it was. I dug out my red Christmas rope lights and bit the bullet and cut them. They worked Next I formed back to back figure 8's using the rope light. The 2 ends were then put inside the Mickey head through 2 holes drilled in the top. Since the rope lights didn't want to lay correctly I used wire ties to hold them around the ears. I used silicone to waterproof the holes. I ran the cord through the inside of the globe. I split the cord into 2 sections. I hot glued the wires to the sides of the globe making them symmetrical as I knew they would be visible through the globe. Next I drilled 2 holes into the light fixture to allow the wires to run through to the other wires. All wires were then connected so that one plug turns on both the Mickey head and the bow. I did have to notch the top of the pole to make room for the wires. The last step was to use red electrical tape to hold the entire center of the bows. There is actually a bow on each side of the ears, having the center in common. Then I hot glued the polka dot fabric to the back of the rope lights. A bit time consuming, but well worth it I think. Let me know if you have more questions.

Deb

Deb
Old 12-10-2007, 11:53 PM   #101
bgula
DIS Veteran

Gonna try my own version - got most of the parts. However, my head is glass, not plastic. All the glass places I've contacted say I've got a slim to none chance that the globe will survive trying to cut 2 holes. Anyone got any ideas whether I can do this myself - and if so, how? The professionals will try to use a hole saw with diamonds, but again, they say the globe will probably shatter.
'06 - FW (Summer), POP (Halloween), CS/POP (Christmas) '07 - POP (March Break & Victoria Day Weekend), FW (summer), ASMu (Halloween), POP (Christmas) '08 - 4-Day Disney Cruise & POP (March Break), POP (Victoria Day Weekend), FW (Summer), FW (Christmas) '09 - 7-Day Disney Cruise (March Break), FW (Summer), FW (Christmas) '10 - 14-Day EB TA Disney Cruise, POP (Christmas) '11 4-Day Dream Cruise + CB, FW (Summer), FW (Christmas) '12 - 7-Day Magic Cruise (March), FW (Summer), FW (Christmas) '13 - 4-Day Dream Cruise + PORS, FW (Summer), FW (Christmas) '14 - 7-Day Fantasy Cruise, FW (Summer), FW (Christmas)

bgula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 07:42 PM   #102
ejmbibb
borderline obsessed with all things fort wilderness

I read the directions on here and made a couple of these myself. I changed it up just a little. Made the head and the pole detachable so it would be easier to store in the camper. (for those of you who know what a "fernco" is, I used one of those to make it easier to take apart) and put a electrical plug between the light and the pole so I can just run the extension up the pole and plug it in. I found the light online
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100467334
it was about $55 then after I ordered it I was at a home depot in a different town and found the same thing for $26. All together, I have about $50 in the complete light. If anyone needs any info, feel free to pm me.

John

[IMG]http://www.asdreamersdo.com/images/dis/fw**********003.gif[/IMG]
"
"The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness.
You have to catch it yourself."
Benjamin Franklin
2008 f-350 cc 4x4 6.4l powerstroke 2004 Montana Mountaineer TT 325Fkbs

Last edited by ejmbibb; 12-11-2007 at 07:48 PM.
ejmbibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:22 PM   #103
SilverMickey
DIS Veteran

This thread has given me the idea to bring new life to my solar lamp post! Maybe some small stakes to put around the patio! Thanks for the great ideas!

One place we camp doesn't have electricity and the generator takes away from the quiet we sometimes crave so we use alot of solar lights... lay them in the sun for the day and use them in the camper at night. Now Mickey will guide us!

Thanks!
Old 03-04-2008, 10:14 AM   #104
disbugsmomma
Mouseketeer

Well, our lamp post is almost finished. We just have to glue some pieces together and do a little bit of wiring. But here is a picture of what it will look like unlit.

I will post a picture of it lit up when we get it finished.
*Offsite ~ 1988*ASMusic ~ 1999*FW Campground ~ 2001*Boardwalk ~ 2004*FW Campground ~ 2005*Boardwalk ~ 2006*FW Campground ~ 2007*FW Campground ~ 2008*SSR ~ 2008 mnsshp *Beach Club ~ 2009*Boardwalk ~ 2010*Boardwalk ~ 2011*POP ~ 2011*POP/Dream/BLT ~ 2012*BLT ~ 2013*Boardwalk/Fantasy ~ 2014
Me Dh Dd Dd

disbugsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #105
PolynesianPixie
Creating my own fairy tale reality, one day at a time! I'm a freakin' carnival!
I'll even call you a slob or a butt head or something if that helps!

That's great!!!!! BTW, that picture you have on your wall with the monorail~ I have it on a mug! It says "Mom" and I get cranky when I don't have it for my morning coffe

Writer for The Disney Driven Life http://thedisneydrivenlife.com/author/ndm381/

Check out my blog: http://faithtrustandpixiedusted.blogspot.com/ and Disney Goddess
@DisneyAmiBE on Twitter
PolynesianPixie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: