Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2005, 10:16 AM   #46
eeyore kelly
I hate thinking I can sleep until a certain time, and then get up early. takes all the fun away
I share a yard with my parents and they are nuts
Happy just stinks on me

1) Give us a review of the book.

While this book is darker and deals with more adult themes, I thought the characters were more real, and acted more along the lines of real people. They had tiffs, mood swings, and everyone including the adults waffled on certain decisions. I related better to the characters in this book better than any other HP book.

2) How did you feel about Sirius' death?

I don’t think he is truly dead. I think we will see another appearance by him most probably book 7.

How do you think it will affect Harry in Half-Blood Prince?

I think Harry will be looking for a way to bring Sirius back, and waffling on whether or not he is truly dead.

3) Do you think Fred and George's joke shop will be a success?

I do. I also think they will be putting their “gift of inventing” to go good use for the order.

4) What is really going on with Percy?

I think Percy is a young adult struggling to become his own man. I think he is trying to have his own identity and not be just another Weasley. I also think Percy likes to feel powerful. He is of the age of adulthood, but doesn’t have experience. I think his mistake is the inexperience. He doesn’t have the life experience to realize he is making wrong decisions. While, I am worried that he will die in this book, I hope he will live to correct his mistakes.

5) Do you feel Dumbledore should have told Harry everything at the beginning of the book?

Yes, but I have the gift of hindsight. I have read the book to the end, and see what with holding the information did. Dumbledore is floundering in with what all parents struggle with, and that is innocence vs. knowledge. Are the old enough to know? Should I tell them? I can relate to that as a parent.

Molly: I think Molly is a person who wants to do what’s right. What is right by the children, society, her friends, etc. I also think she is extremely worried and concerned. I think those mental pressures put her emotions in a pressure cooker and every now and them the pressure cooker explodes.

I also think Molly is somewhat of a maturity and parent snob. “ I have raised 7 kids, and I know what’s best. While you have lived this fascinating life flitting here and there, I have been home seeing to my responsibilities.” Mentality.

Pop Century Feb/March 2006 Second Honeymoon --September 6-14, 2010 : Run and Play Wine and Dine Half Marathon October 1-4 Next Trip: Son's Grad Trip May 2012

Loves the cats more than most people. Mr. Mistoffelees, Spike, and Disney
eeyore kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 11:03 AM   #47
ophie
I've got color
...and I was yummy too
Starting a trippie is a delicate matter
, brought to you by a 70 cent wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKreamer
Probably knew because of the AK spell backfiring. DD didn't put the old magic there, he just knew that his mother's blood would protect Harry.
No.... what I'm saying is... Harry cannot be touched at the Dursley's. Dumbledore used the existing old magic bond and put a charm on Harry that protected him as long as his home was with his mother's blood. In GoF in the Graveyard scene, Voldemort says he can't get to Harry at the Dursley's. How did he know that? He can't have merely assumed it.
But sometimes when the Springtime comes and sifting moonlight falls, they'll think again of this night here and of these old brown walls. Of white old well and of Old South, with bell's deep booming tone, they'll think again of Chapel Hill and, thinking, come back home.
ophie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2005, 10:20 AM   #48
DisneyLovingMama
DIS Cast Member
I'll be your Ethel if you be mine. What could happen?

Okay, I'm a little behind on the series, so I just finished OoP. Would someone mind discussing it with me for a little bit?

I was most struck by the mirror Harry found at the end. If he had only used it throughout the book, there would have been no need for Harry to break into Umbridge's office or for Sirius to have almost gotten caught by Umbridge. Most importantly, if Harry had used it, he may have realized that Sirius was not being tortured by Voldemort. It seemed to be such an important plot point that was thrown away.

Why could Harry only see the threstrals now? He was wiht his Mom and Dad when the died, how come he couldn't see them all along?

What power would Voldemort have gained if he did hear the prophecy? That he HAD to kill Harry? I didn't get how the prophecy was a "weapon". It didn't tell V how to kill Harry. It seemed to be a lot of work up (the ENTIRE book) to a very little thing, or something I had already guessed. Maybe I'm not getting it.

How come Dumbledore doesn't expel the son/daughters of known Death Eaters? Why is he still allowing Malfoy et al to be at the school? Seems that's very dangerous.

Sirius' death didn't bother me that much, but maybe that's because I've been spoiled for two years. I was much more upset by Mr. Weasley's injury or Neville's torture.

Harry's anger didn't bother me - seemed spot on. The poor kid needs counseling, with all he's been through. His part at the end where he says he doesn't care and just wants to be over broke my heart. It seemed so true to life.

Those are my thoughts for now. Hope someone will discuss. I'm starting HBP this weekend.
DisneyLovingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 01:51 PM   #49
DisneyLovingMama
DIS Cast Member
I'll be your Ethel if you be mine. What could happen?

Shameless bump...
DisneyLovingMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #50
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

Quote:
Okay, I'm a little behind on the series, so I just finished OoP. Would someone mind discussing it with me for a little bit?

I was most struck by the mirror Harry found at the end. If he had only used it throughout the book, there would have been no need for Harry to break into Umbridge's office or for Sirius to have almost gotten caught by Umbridge. Most importantly, if Harry had used it, he may have realized that Sirius was not being tortured by Voldemort. It seemed to be such an important plot point that was thrown away.

Why could Harry only see the threstrals now? He was wiht his Mom and Dad when the died, how come he couldn't see them all along?

What power would Voldemort have gained if he did hear the prophecy? That he HAD to kill Harry? I didn't get how the prophecy was a "weapon". It didn't tell V how to kill Harry. It seemed to be a lot of work up (the ENTIRE book) to a very little thing, or something I had already guessed. Maybe I'm not getting it.

How come Dumbledore doesn't expel the son/daughters of known Death Eaters? Why is he still allowing Malfoy et al to be at the school? Seems that's very dangerous.

Sirius' death didn't bother me that much, but maybe that's because I've been spoiled for two years. I was much more upset by Mr. Weasley's injury or Neville's torture.

Harry's anger didn't bother me - seemed spot on. The poor kid needs counseling, with all he's been through. His part at the end where he says he doesn't care and just wants to be over broke my heart. It seemed so true to life.

Those are my thoughts for now. Hope someone will discuss. I'm starting HBP this weekend.
Yea the mirror was one of those things that was really sad about OOTP. If he had only remembered he had it.

I think Harry could see the threstrals now because he was effected by Cedric's death more. Keep in mind Harry does not remember his parents death and although he misses them - he doesn't even remember them.

I think the power of the prophecy is 1) if Voldermort knew the entire thing in the beginning he could have just walked away. You'll learn more about this in the HBP. 2) He would know that Harry HAD to be killed for more then just petty revenge.

Again you'll find out more about his HBP - but I think Dumbledore doesn't explell death eater parents because he doesnt' believe the children should suffer for the sins of their fathers. You can't blame the children that their parents are evil. Remember the lesson learned in Chamber of Secrets - it is our CHOICES that show whom we really are.

OOTP is probably my least favorite book. I almost didn't recognize the main characters! It was an emotional year of turmoil to say the least. I liked HBP SO MUCH BETTER! Enjoy!

~Amanda
septbride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: