Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2005, 12:17 PM   #16
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

I also was a bit angry that it was Sirius character that was killed. My thought, "Was good lord what else are we going to put this poor character through?"

~Amanda
septbride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 02:07 PM   #17
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

Bump!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-13-2005, 02:18 PM   #18
ophie
I've got color
...and I was yummy too
Starting a trippie is a delicate matter
, brought to you by a 70 cent wish

1) Give us a review of the book.
I was irritated for most of the book. The injustice really bothered me and I felt indignant on Harry's behalf. Like many, I particularly hated Umbridge.

For me, OotP really didn't answer any questions. There were so many things left over that still need to be fleshed out.
2) How did you feel about Sirius' death? How do you think it will effect Harry in Half-Blood Prince?
I was heartbroken. Yes, I cried. I think it will make Harry more practical and measured. I hope he'll be more likely to ask for help.
3) Do you think Fred and George's joke shop will be a success?
Of course...
4) What is really going on with Percy?
What do you mean? I don't think that he's conscioiusly a bad guy. I just think he was caught up in his well-meaning ambition. But, you know what they say about good intentions. The interesting things to see will be if he's kicked out along with Fudge, what his new job will be, and if he can swallow his pride.
5) Do you feel Dumbledore should have told Harry everything at the beginning of the book?
I understand why he didn't, but I think he should have. He should have found a way to reveal the information to Harry safely. His silence put Harry in even more danger. He should have known (knowing Harry) that Harry is independant and would not be likely to ask for help.
I've put together a whole list of questions and issues... I wish I could attach it.
But sometimes when the Springtime comes and sifting moonlight falls, they'll think again of this night here and of these old brown walls. Of white old well and of Old South, with bell's deep booming tone, they'll think again of Chapel Hill and, thinking, come back home.
ophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 03:38 PM   #19
Micheme
DIS Veteran

I too am rereading, i read GOF and Phoenix to get ready for Saturday

I found this book very dark but I think it had to be, we can no longer have Harry bumbling through with amazing results. Gone is the youthful exuberance and now we face entrance into adulthood under war.

2)How did you feel about Sirius' death? How do you think it will effect Harry in Half-Blood Prince?
I think his death was neccessary as will future deaths. It has always been my thinking that key players will have to go until it is just Voldemort and Harry at the end (Ie dumbledore, lupin etc) I don't think Hermoine and Ron, i am talking about all those who harry looks to for guidance and strength, until it is only himself and then becomes the great wizard he was born to be.

I hope so

4) What is really going on with Percy? not sure but i don't have good feelings about it, i feel something bad is going to happen.

5) Do you feel Dumbledore should have told Harry everything at the beginning of the book?
Well that is not the way JK works does she. There is always someone holding back (harry not telling dumbledore about his scar, his visions, etc)
So we just got to take it like it is. Although I find myself thinking to myself "why doesn't he tell someone... insert malady here (scar hurting, the visions etc"
Old 07-13-2005, 07:51 PM   #20
harleyquinn
Wishes she could take photos of the castle as well as the photos DALE (of Chip & Dale) takes.
I wanted to regale you all with tales of my DH's saggy greyies

Hi! I'm a children's librarian and I had my Harry Potter: Countdown to book 6 program today, so it's a good time to share!

The first time I read it, I didn't like it very much at all. I felt it was way too long, there were way too many scenes with Umbridge (I actually started skipping stuff everytime she was mentioned. But after listening to it on the drive down to WDW on my honeymoon, I had a much better appreciation for it. I can't stress enough how awesome the recorded books are!

2) How did you feel about Sirius' death? How do you think it will effect Harry in Half-Blood Prince?

I was balling, and seriously tempted to tell my DH not to read it. He LOVES Sirius. My DH does not believe that he is dead in the strictest sense and that we will see him again. He has many reasons for his belief, but I' won't go through all that.

Yes! I think they are comic geniuses and everyone needs to be more like them. What better way to do so, than to buy their products!?

I have this secret hope that he's really, really good and being a pain for a really good reason. I think he might end up Minister of Magic. I have no idea why I think that, but it's been bugging me!

No, because if he had, there would be no book!
I too think something is up with Dumbledore, but I don't think he's bad. I almost wish JK would just kill him off already so she'll stop the foreshadowing. Every time he's mentioned, it seemed like she had to throw in something about him looking old or tired. His time is limited.

All the kids loved talking about who else was going to die in the next books.

Amazingly their #1 was Ron! I don't think so, but I wouldn't be surprised to lose at least one Weasley.
harleyquinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 07:54 PM   #21
snoopy
This space for rent
I run on Judi time
Got carded (we won't go into details ;) ).
Sunshine_On my shoulders_ Makes Me Happeeee.

I've heard many people say that Sirius is not really dead, but hasn't JKR said that he is definately NOT coming back?
snoopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:14 PM   #22
DisneyGirl
DIS Veteran

I liked OOTP, and I think it was a necessary transition, as I think in Half-Blood Prince, it will get even darker. I think OOTP showed a preview of just how much evil is lurking about (before, the only evil we've really seen is out of Voldemort himself-- now, we saw Umbridge, not to mention all of the Death Eater's in the battle at the end, as well as Fudge's ignorance). I kind of think that OOTP was a transition book of sorts between the books where Harry is still making his transition and learning to understand and fit into the Wizarding world, to the part of the story where he is going to have to step up to his fate to having to SAVE this world he's only been in a few years. I think it was a preview to a lot more that he is going to face.

Sirius' death was not that big of a deal to me personally-- maybe its because I was never all that crazy about Sirius to begin with. Now, how will that affect Harry?? I think it will either do one of two things-- the one I think it will likely do is to make him angry toward everyone he feels played a part in his death-- This is a boy who lived his whole life with relatives that hated him. He goes to the Wizarding world and learns about his parents and how they died. Now, as soon as he finds someone to be a parental figure towards him, and he is killed as well. I think that this will cause him to really have the determination to get rid of Voldemort and the Death Eaters because of what they have done to the people he loved.

I think the other thing that could happen is that he can become withdrawn, but I don't think that is likely because I don't think it would be a very good plot device

I also think that Sirius will make *some* sort of appearance in the last two books-- I just don't know what kind of appearance (I still think there is more to that broken mirror then just proving Sirius was dead entirely)

I think that the joke shop will be *very important*, and it will be one of those things where we go "ah-- I see how that fits in the puzzle." I think that not only is the joke shop going to be a success, but it will also play an important part in the downfall of Voldermort.

In an interview, J.K. Rowling was asked if Percy was acting on his own, and she replied that unfortunately, he is. I don't think he's turned evil, but I do think that he is so caught up with himself that he will do anything his superiors tell him to do, and he believes that his superiors are infallible. I do believe some of his superiors may be involved with Voldemort, so I think that Percy may be inadvertently helping the Death Eaters without even being aware of it.

I hope he comes to his senses sometime in the next two books!!

No. I don't think that's in Dumbledore's nature. I think up until the 5th book, we were almost led to believe Dumbledore was an omniscient character in the book, who could do no wrong. I think in this book, we saw that is NOT true at all. Dumbledore made some mistakes, and he now realizes it. I wonder whether he will change in the next two books, or continue to tell only what he feels is meant to be known.

Only a couple more days until Half-Blood Prince!!
DisneyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:42 PM   #23
teacherforhi
Pit Stop!
My cats allow me to sleep in the bed with them.

I didn't feel sad at all that Sirius died. I'm such a bad person! I honestly was tired of his whining and 'poor me' attitude. Even to the extent that he made Harry feel bad about going back to Hogwarts! You would think that he, of all people, would understand how important the work of the Order was and just suck it up and take one for the team.
teacherforhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 09:10 PM   #24
DisneyGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy
I've heard many people say that Sirius is not really dead, but hasn't JKR said that he is definately NOT coming back?
I remember the interview you are talking about, and I don't remember the exact wording she said it in, but I think there is room for him to "appear." JKR is so crafty in the way she words things-- she doesn't lie in her answers, but you sometimes have to read between the lines :-)... BTW, I understood what she said the same as you did, but other people have interpreted it separately, which then makes me think, hmmm... maybe they are right... :-)
DisneyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:07 PM   #25
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyquinn
The first time I read it, I didn't like it very much at all. I felt it was way too long, there were way too many scenes with Umbridge (I actually started skipping stuff everytime she was mentioned. But after listening to it on the drive down to WDW on my honeymoon, I had a much better appreciation for it. I can't stress enough how awesome the recorded books are!

I have "read" all of the HP books on audio. Jim Dale has to be the best audiobook reader out there. I will be up all night Friday importing the CD's into my iPod. LOL! With the HP books, I tend to get both the audio version and book version. So I can listen in the car, and sneak a peek at the book while at work. lol.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 PM   #26
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophie
I was irritated for most of the book. The injustice really bothered me and I felt indignant on Harry's behalf. Like many, I particularly hated Umbridge.

For me, OotP really didn't answer any questions. There were so many things left over that still need to be fleshed out.
I was heartbroken. Yes, I cried. I think it will make Harry more practical and measured. I hope he'll be more likely to ask for help.
Of course...
What do you mean? I don't think that he's conscioiusly a bad guy. I just think he was caught up in his well-meaning ambition. But, you know what they say about good intentions. The interesting things to see will be if he's kicked out along with Fudge, what his new job will be, and if he can swallow his pride.
I understand why he didn't, but I think he should have. He should have found a way to reveal the information to Harry safely. His silence put Harry in even more danger. He should have known (knowing Harry) that Harry is independant and would not be likely to ask for help.
I've put together a whole list of questions and issues... I wish I could attach it.
Can you copy and paste?
Old 07-13-2005, 10:51 PM   #27
ophie
I've got color
...and I was yummy too

Quote:
Originally Posted by septbride2002
Can you copy and paste?
It's 6 pages long.
But sometimes when the Springtime comes and sifting moonlight falls, they'll think again of this night here and of these old brown walls. Of white old well and of Old South, with bell's deep booming tone, they'll think again of Chapel Hill and, thinking, come back home.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:55 PM   #28
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophie
It's 6 pages long.
Okay! How about just doing page 1?

~Amanda
Old 07-13-2005, 10:59 PM   #29
ophie
I've got color
...and I was yummy too

Quote:
Originally Posted by septbride2002
Okay! How about just doing page 1?

~Amanda
lol, let me see what i can come up with...
Old 07-13-2005, 11:07 PM   #30
ophie
I've got color
...and I was yummy too

Okay, part 1

Unanswered Questions pre-OotP (not answered in OotP)

What were James’s & Lily’s professions?
What happened to the rest of Harry’s family?
Do the Hogwarts staff members have families?
How did Dumbledore defeat Grindewald?
How did Voldemort’s curse rebound? If nothing can block it, how was it rebounded? And why did Voldemort live?
Does Slytherin house only accept purebloods? If not, isn’t that against its founder’s ideals? If so, why did the Sorting Hat consider Harry for Slytherin?
Is there further significance of Harry being a “true Gryffindor?”
Will we see any of the items from Borgin & Burkes?
Are there any more of Voldemort’s old school things? If so, does L. Malfoy have them?
“Chamber of Secrets” is plural. Are there more “secrets” to be revealed?
Why did LV’s mother (as a descendant of Slytherin) fall in love with a muggle? Was she a decent person?
Does LV have any other family?
Does Ginny have a connection with Voldemort because of ***? If so, will it come into play and how?
Does Harry have a Godmother?
Why does LV tell Lily to “stand aside” rather than killing her right away? Why didn’t she have to die?
Who owns the Riddle House?
Did Fred and George “know” the QWC results?
Were the DEs who tortured the Longbottoms only after information about Voldemort or was there another reason?
Where was Neville when his parents were attacked?
How does the Pensieve work? Is the stored memory a factual record or is it colored by the perceptions of the person who places the memory in the Pensieve?
How did Voldemort know how Harry was protected at the Dursley’s? How did he know that Dumbledore used the old magic?
What was Dumbledore’s “look of triumph” at the end of GoF?
Did Pettigrew’s life debt affect LV’s rebirth?
Did Fudge intend for the Dementor to kiss Crouch, Jr.? Was he an unknowing accomplice in the “cover-up?”
When Harry names Malfoy as a DE to Fudge, “Snape made a sudden movement, but as Harry looked at him, Snape’s eyes flew back to Fudge.” What is that about?? More fuel on the Snape/Malfoy fire.
Why does Dumbledore trust Snape?
Why is it important that Harry has Lily’s eyes? Green eyes?
Why is it only Lily’s sacrifice that protects Harry? Why doesn’t James’s sacrifice protect Lily and Harry?
Can the ghosts be of assistance to either side during the war?
Why haven’t we heard about the blood status of people like Dumbledore, McGonagall, Snape, the other professors, Pettigrew, Umbridge, the founders, etc? What are their statuses?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: