Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2005, 04:56 AM   #1
Fromeurope
Mouseketeer

Swollen feet and ankles from walking in the heat at WDW...

Hi everyone,
Last year we were at WDW in september and we're planning to return that time this year. We loved it soo much.
There is only one thing I would like to solve if it is possible.
I had some problems with my feet/ankles. No blisters, because I am use to walking a lot. But my ankles became swollen very badly from walking in the heat, so I didn't fit in my shoes/sandals anymore. Probably it was from walking all the time in that hot, humid weather, because I don't experience it here at home.
Maybe there is a good medicin against this, but here in the Netherlands we're not quite used to the Floridian climate
Who can help?
Fromeurope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
beattyfamily
DIS Cast Member
Has Oodles of Poodles
And the Tag Fairy wants to hug them all!!

I have read that Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil, Nuprin) is an anti-inflammatory medication and will help with that and of course, it also helps with the pain of walking all day at WDW.

So I take two each morning and sometimes again in the evening.

Another tip, soak your feet at night if you can. I stay in a one-bedroom at the BWV and fill up the whirlpool each night and soak my feet. It really does help a lot.

Good luck.
beattyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2005, 07:42 AM   #3
OhioTony
DIS Veteran

Try drinking alot of water. If you become even slightly dehydrated, the body tends to hold onto all of its water and gravity pulls it into the extremities. Drink adequate water and the excess fluids leave the body.
OhioTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
Bob P
DIS Veteran

Good points above! Further to soaking your feet, I would also get some ice in plastic bags and spend about 15 minutes icing your ankles when you get back to your room at night.

Bob

Sept/Oct 1986 Viscount....June 1990 Hyatt Grand Cypress.....Sept/Oct 1991 Howard Johnson's....June 1993 Polynesian...June & Dec 1994, Aug 1995, 96, 97, 98 Beach Club.....Mar & Sept 1999 Dixie Landings...Aug 1999 Disneyland....Nov 1999 Yacht Club....Aug 2000 & 2002 Boardwalk Inn....Nov 2001 All-Star Sports....Oct 2003 Port Orleans Riverside...Jan 2004 (Marathon) Coronado Springs...Feb 2004 Old Key West....August 2004 Yacht Club....May 2005 Animal Kingdom Lodge....Feb 2006 Boardwalk Villas...April 2006 Animal Kingdom Lodge...June 2006 DL, DCA, Disneyland Hotel.... January 2007 Polynesian...August 2007 Beach Club... Sept 2007 DL, DCA, Grand Californian Hotel....May 2009 Boardwalk Villas....June 2010 Portofino Bay Hotel....January 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter/Grand Floridian/Disney Dream....May 2011 Boardwalk Villas...March 2012 Beach Club/Disney Fantasy...December 2012 Art of Animation...February 2014 Disneyland & DCA...NEXT TRIP: January 2015 Art of Animation
Bob P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:24 AM   #5
Fromeurope
Mouseketeer

More water really?
I had the idea I drank so much water it got stuck in my ankles
How much water do you think you will need on a hot humid day?
Cooling with ice sounds wonderful to me. And the Ibuprofen sounds good as well. Does that really work for you? Your ankles don't swelll up anymore?
The funny thing was when I went to sleep my ankles were huge and when I woke up they were normal again.During the morning they began to swell already, but I cannot sit with my feet up high all day at WDW ofcourse.
Thanks for the tips
Old 07-02-2005, 07:48 PM   #6
OhioTony
DIS Veteran

How much water

On a regular day you should drink 64 oz of water. If it is a hot/humid day or you are sweating alot/ exercising you should drink 2-3 quarts a day.
OhioTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:55 PM   #7
daisy2
DIS Veteran

I agree with the ibuprphen I take it because of my tendinitis I also take along with aleve because it helps with the pain. Check with your doctor before taking the medicine. Some people the medicine bothers them. Another thing I would do is soak my feet in the pool or if you are at a resort where they have a hot tub. I thought I had new feet!!! Also drinking a lot of water.
Old 07-03-2005, 04:40 PM   #8
dmslush
If you don't let your dog poop in my yard, I won't let my kid poop in yours!
I like to call mine "Underlilies"
Vanilla fields makes me smell like a Candy Apple!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromeurope
More water really?
I had the idea I drank so much water it got stuck in my ankles
How much water do you think you will need on a hot humid day?
Cooling with ice sounds wonderful to me. And the Ibuprofen sounds good as well. Does that really work for you? Your ankles don't swelll up anymore?
The funny thing was when I went to sleep my ankles were huge and when I woke up they were normal again.During the morning they began to swell already, but I cannot sit with my feet up high all day at WDW ofcourse.
Thanks for the tips

My understanding is that you should drink a MINIMUM of 1/2 of your body weight in ounces of water on a normal day. For instance, let's say that you weigh 150 pounds, you need to drink 75 ounces to stay hydrated. If the climate is hot and humid, you will need more because you are sweating our your fluids.
Old 07-03-2005, 07:51 PM   #9
jjan
DIS Veteran

I would elevate your feet as much as possible at night... even put a pillow under them in bed if you can. Limit the amount of salt that you take in which can be very hard at Disney and remember that it is in soft drinks too. I had this happen a little bit in May, but in June when we went again I took Motrin everyday and didn't have any problems so I don't know if that was it or not, but it wouldn't hurt to try it. I would think that you could take any over-the-counter Woman's PMS-type anti-bloat med and that might help... if it is really bad, I would ask your doctor for a prescription for Lasix or a similar med.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:12 AM   #10
Fromeurope
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the info!
Maybe I really need more water the next time. Last september I drank about 2 litres a day, but your advice is more, 3 litres or so. I will try that.
Most of the time I stick to water, Diet Coke and apple juice. Is there salt added to Diet Coke as well?
And is Motrin some kind of painkiller like Ibuprofen?
Here in Europe there aren't many medications you can get without a prescription, but Ibuprofen is sold over-the-counter.
Old 07-04-2005, 07:30 AM   #11
beattyfamily
DIS Cast Member
Has Oodles of Poodles
And the Tag Fairy wants to hug them all!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromeurope
And is Motrin some kind of painkiller like Ibuprofen?
Here in Europe there aren't many medications you can get without a prescription, but Ibuprofen is sold over-the-counter.
Yes, Motrin, Advil, Nuprin etc... are forms of Ibuprofen.
beattyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #12
pampam
DIS Veteran

When I pack I go to the dollar store, and buy a plastic basin. I pack it and epson salts so I can soak my feet while watching tv. It works great. then, when I pack to go home and if the basin doesn't fit, I just leave it behind, knowing I've just wasted only a dollar. The basin is great for hand washing, and I leave it at the door for a holder with my keys, park passes, umbrella or anything else I want to take with me to the parks the next day.
pampam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 05:11 PM   #13
fran99999
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you and I have the same problem. I have no problem with the walking part but my ankles and feet seem to swell up. Just my ankles to about 4 inches above my actual ankles. I asked my Dr. and he said drink more water to flush your system. So I drank more and my ankles just got bigger and bigger. Then I spoke with a friendly nurse who told me to drink cranberry juice it has a natural diraretic. My ankles have been much better since then. I now drink 16 oz of cranberry juice a day in the summer heat (even here in New England). It has helped a lot. There are also Cranberry pills at some health food stores I take these with me when I go to WDW in case I cant find cranberry juice. If you drink the juice very cold with lots of ice it really is pretty good. OK im from New England its kind of a staple around here.

It really helped me after I had my son I looked like I had elephantitus in my feet and ankles. 2 days later I was back down to my normal size even with them filling me up with the IV drip.

Try it it doesnt cost that much and if it works its all natural.

FWCabins 1993
Contemporary 2003
CBR Sept 2004
POP Oct 2004
WL & WLV 2005
ASsp Sept 29-Oct5 (free dining)
POP Jan 27-Feb 1 OH NO I MISSED EE
YC May 20 then SSR May21-25
Wonder May25-28
Its so sad not to see a ticker in this spot :sad2
fran99999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:01 PM   #14
keishashadow
Proud Redhead
When you gotta go, you gotta go ... it's a girl thing
Hmmm, I lust
I TOLD YOU SO!

Got back from vacation 2 days ago (very long car trip due to road construction) and my ankles and legs were quite swollen despite the fact that I take 800 mg of Rx Motrin/day.

Decided to pick up a diruetic @ drug store. Beware, most of the brands have both caffeine & acetaminophen listed as active ingredients. Don't think it would be a great idea to mix acetaminophen & Motrin.

keishashadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:08 PM   #15
Marseeya
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

I had horrible swelling on our last trip despite drinking a ton of water and taking at least 800 mg of Motrin several times a day. After a day or two, I went to a Walmart and bought an over the counter diuretic, which worked like a charm. My swelling went down within hours, so I took one of the pills every morning with the Motrin. The only difficult thing was, when I had to pee, I had to find a bathroom immediately! It always seemed to sneak right up on me.

To the poster who mentioned not taking acetaminophen and ibuprofin together, there's not a problem there. One is broken down in the liver (I think... or is it kidneys?) and the other is broken down in the stomach. I've had more than one doctor explain this to me for various ailments. Anyway, I'm not a doctor, so if you have a concern, it's best to consult one.

DH: 34
Me: 30something
DS: 15 & too cool for WDW
DD: 10 & a real princess freak

*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*O*
Marseeya is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: