Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > The Creative Community > Flower & Garden Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2005, 08:25 AM   #1
firstmickey
Always Right Riddle Goddess of Chaos
I am an educated competent woman...I just had a momentary lapse
What the quah is going on?
I can sing bad versions of Mama Mia

Rose of Sharon question

Hi, I recently planted a white Rose of Sharon and now I have tiny ants crawling on it and eating it.

Has anyone ever had this problem and do you have any recommendations for getting rid of them?

My online research shows they are susceptible to aphids but these are definitely ants.

thanks!
Old 06-26-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
nocnurse
Mouseketeer

There are aphids. Look closely at the growing tips of the plants. The ants act like shepherds to the aphids. They protect them and in return they eat the honeydew the aphids produce. You can remove the aphids with blasts of water from the water hose. The ants might bring more aphids back onto the plant, but just keep blasting them and they'll go away. But I don't think the aphids are doing the eating. They suck sap from the stems. They don't actually eat the leaves.

You should look for small green caterpillars on the new growth. They do the eating. I usually just squish them or knock them into a deli container 1/2 full of soapy water to get rid of them.

A Disney birthday for the princess.
10 years old on July 7
nocnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-26-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
firstmickey
Always Right Riddle Goddess of Chaos
I am an educated competent woman...I just had a momentary lapse
What the quah is going on?
I can sing bad versions of Mama Mia

thanks nocnurse!
Old 06-27-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
DebšošS
DISneyngardenFANopics
Better get back to my laughing place for cheese

Location: 1062.3 miles from my "Home Away From Home"resort The Boardwalk

Thanks for that great info nocurse! I didn't know Rose of Sharon were susceptible to aphids or that ants led the way. I have a huge hedge of ROS way in the back that I'm going to keep an eye on. I don't have a hose long enough to get back there to spray them off though. Do you think just spraying with Sevin would help keep them away?

DebšošS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
nocnurse
Mouseketeer

I'm really pretty ignorant about pesticides. I garden organically, so I really don't know about Sevin. Insecticidal soap is effective against aphids and it's less toxic to the butterflies, bees and other living things in my yard, especially me and my kids.

A Disney birthday for the princess.
10 years old on July 7
nocnurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2005, 04:42 PM   #6
DebšošS
DISneyngardenFANopics

Sevin is safe on veggies ( or so the label says) so it can't be all that toxic. I don't use it or anything on veggies, herbs or flowers I would bring in the house.

I've tried the Gardensafe products with poor results. I rather just blast them with a hose if I can. Last night I dusted the Rose Of Sharon with Sevin. Of course it rained today.

Old 07-19-2005, 09:14 PM   #7
UrsulasShadow

I'm digging the cistern now..Oh, WIILL

Location: Under Plymouth Rock...crawling out for the occasional lobstah.

I tend to agree with nocnurse on the use of organics whenever possible. Using Sevin against aphids is a bit of overkill, imo, since they're so easy to kill by knocking them off the plant. Besides, a broad-spectrum pesticide is killing all the beneficials (i.e., ladybug larvae and adults) that prey on aphids, as well as pollinating insects that keep all our plants going and setting fruit. I strongly feel there is such a thing as acceptable damage on ornamental plants, and can live with a few chewed leaves. But if damage goes beyond your definition of "acceptable", use a less-toxic method first, and then see if you can live with the results.
UrsulasShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:14 PM   #8
Not so Dumbo
DIS Veteran

Hmm, I've never seen ants on ROS. I've seen them on Paeonies. They actually help to open the the blooms on those plants. Right now in MI, Japenese Beetles are a huge problem for ROS. I use Joy dish soap and water to kill them. Maybe that's what is eating your leaves.
Not so Dumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:08 PM   #9
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

The best thing for aphids - and you do definitely have them and ROS are definitely susceptible - are lady bugs. a blast of water - well it works if you blast ecery day - soap helps, but chemicals kill good bugs. Go buy some lady bugs from your nursery. The lady bugs will be happy and they will get rid of the aphids and thenyou will lose the ants!
Redbudlover - master gardener.
Redbudlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 11:27 PM   #10
CherCrazy
Ears for Years
That's my hair 0 to 30 seconds

Wow! I never had ants eating my Rose of Sharons! I had lots of problems with japanese beetles thru the years. I finally got rid of the beetles when I stopped putting out the beetle bait traps.

Reverse psychology on the bugs. Ignore them and they go away.
8/77 WDW ~ 2/79 WDW ~ 11/83 WDW ~ 12/84 WDW~ 10/91 WDW ~ 11/94 EuroDisney ~ 8/97 WDW Dolphin ~ 8/99 POR ~ 8/00 WDW ~ 8/01 DL & CA ~ 11/04 SSR ~ 6/05 HHI ~ 11/05 OKW/SSR ~ 01/07 SSR ~ 12/07 SSR ~ 10/08 VB ~ 1/09 BCV ~
CherCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
DebšošS
DISneyngardenFANopics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbudlover
Go buy some lady bugs from your nursery. The lady bugs will be happy and they will get rid of the aphids and thenyou will lose the ants!
Redbudlover - master gardener.
Dittos,
Ladybugs are the best for gobbling up aphids. I've never seen ladybugs for sale in my garden centers. You might try this company http://www.growquest.com for ordering them online.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: