Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #1
Pollito916
Some day my Prince will come and I'll live in the castle...
I do NOT have a Chicaaahgo accent!

What age did your kids get into autographs?

DS has been to WDW and DL once each, but was pretty much too young for characters both times. Though he got pretty excited when he saw Mickey at the end of our last trip and ran right up to him.

Now that he's 3, I thought he might get into it, but then again, he might not get it yet either since he can't read.

What age did everyone's kids get into autographs from the characters?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

We waited until DD was almost 5 before we let her do autographs. At that point, she had met the characters plenty of times so was comfortable asking for an autograph. Plus she could read them

Lots of people would have a 3 year old do them. I've seen parents carrying infants and autograph books. But we waited a little bit until she asked. Bottom line...unless you do something with the autographs, they sit around, and more and more books pile up!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
Kimberly Hill
DIS Veteran

The boys never got into them but our littlest LOVES autographs! She started when she was 4.5 and now her favorite thing to do is collect autographs from everyone BUT the characters! Their handlers, the wait staff, the bus driver, people she meets around the parks, etc. Then she draws pictures of them on that page and we have a marvelous remembrance of the trip. The people she requests autographs from love it because they're seldom, if ever, requested to sign an autograph book.

My girl, spreading that pixie dust!
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
scarlet_ibis
"GET UP AND GET ON THE BUS!"

I think she was about 2 years 4 months here. Her, uh, second trip.
Off-property trips circa 1999, 1991, 1981
scarlet_ibis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
blessedmom4
WE BELIEVE IN MIRACLES! ~~Nearly twice as many children die from Congenital Heart Defects in the U.S. each year as die from all forms of childhood cancers combined.

Location: I am not religious, I have a relationship with God.

Our youngest daughter had just turned three when we went to WDW with her the first time. The older children never cared about autographs, it was one of her favorite parts.

Last edited by blessedmom4; 04-09-2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Typo
blessedmom4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:51 PM   #6
letsgoagainsoon
North Central PA

DS liked it very much from 2-4, at 5 he wasn't as interested.
August '96 - Off Property; September '01- All Star Music; October '04 - All Star Movies; July '05 - Pop Century; September '06 - Pop Century; April '07 - Pop Century; September '08 - Movies; September '09 - Pop Century; September '10 - Pop Century; September '11- Pop Century; September '12 - Coronado Springs
letsgoagainsoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!

DD loved it at 26 months!

At 26 months we did the normal autograph books, 3 years we did the photo ones (I am bad, still never filled them w/pics), this year I decided I am not spending $20 on books and got the $1 for Michael's... DD loved them!

DVC Trips:
Feb '14- Aulani dream trip cancelled due to snow (obviously Mother Nature is not a Disney fan); May '14- AKV Kidani, BCV; May '15- Pending lots of Pixie Dust... VGC, Aulani
DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 AM   #8
ireland_nicole
No brainer- the fairy wins it
Personally, I'm an on site girl

I'd say 3-4 were the must have autograph years for us- we got one of the books with the space for photos- and she still carries it around the house with her sometimes and enjoys looking at it. DS isn't quite as into it. They still like getting autographs at character meals, but don't feel the need to go seek out characters in the parks. This year we're doing an autograph quilt, so I'm taking quilt squares and fabric markers. (and a clipboard, of course.)
That being said, DS is soooooooo into star wars and we're going over SWW- so he may want some of those.
Old 04-09-2010, 09:30 AM   #9
puffkin
DVC Owner- SSR & AKV

So far DS4 has shown no interest in the autographs. We are secretly hoping it stays that way He is happy with a high five/hug and a picture. I also think the characters interact with him more since they don't have to worry about signing.

Veteran of 25+ trips to the World
puffkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
MommaB
Mouseketeer

DD actually loved it at 16 months. It might have been more that she loved the pattern- See Mickey, wave at Mickey, highfive Mickey, smile for the camera take book from Mom and give it to Mickey. It's been two months and she still asks to read her "Mouse Book".
MommaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

The trip my DD was 4. Not before (course I didn't offer before she knew to ask and do it) and no trips after. She liked it that one trip now we don't even wait in lines they would rather ride and see shows! Thank You Lord.

My DS NEVER wanted to, heck he didn't even want pictures and would grudgingly get 1 or 2 a trip IF and this was a big If we happened to be in the right place at the right time and didn't have to wait or stand in a line. Like while we were waiting on Dad in the BR early in the AM in Dinoland and Chip n Dale came out and there was no one around, he let me take his photo.

So we have 1 auto book with a lot of signatures and really I think it makes that 1 book much more special, and not just another thing that gets done every year.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #12
kwitcherkicken99
Sleep keeps me pretty. CAFFEINE keeps me NICE!
This vicarious living is wonderful!
I'll take getting my feet up all the way

DS2.5 loved it! It gave him a reason to appoach the characters. When we got home, I put the autographs in our scrapbook next to the pictures of the characters. He took his book back last September, and it's going with us again this September. It's nothing big or fancy, just a 4x6 book that I covered. I've made one for DD (will be 2) as well. It's there if she wants to use it, if not, we'll use it to color in.

P.S. scarlet_ibis -that picture is too sweet!

Last edited by kwitcherkicken99; 04-09-2010 at 01:27 PM.
kwitcherkicken99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 01:51 PM   #13
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

I've become sort of anti-autographs...those lines would be so much faster without them.

If I were you OP, I'd wait until your son expresses interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffkin View Post
So far DS4 has shown no interest in the autographs. We are secretly hoping it stays that way He is happy with a high five/hug and a picture. I also think the characters interact with him more since they don't have to worry about signing.

My boys enjoy getting them, but I limit how much they do. Some trips are declared autograph-free. And we've also done trips with a single "Family" autograph book. Of course we have 4 children so this wouldn't apply to families with one child.
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

At 3, because he saw everyone else handing Buzz autograph books (at Disneyland, Buzz signs properly, no stamps like I hear he uses at WDW). He's only now reading (just coming up on 6), but for several of the autographs he could remember whose name it was.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:33 PM   #15
Pollito916
Some day my Prince will come and I'll live in the castle...
I do NOT have a Chicaaahgo accent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
At 3, because he saw everyone else handing Buzz autograph books (at Disneyland, Buzz signs properly, no stamps like I hear he uses at WDW). He's only now reading (just coming up on 6), but for several of the autographs he could remember whose name it was.
Buzz is DS's favorite too! I didn't think about that, but you're right even though he can't read, he has memorized certain words and recognizes them when he sees them. Like Target, Kohl's, Disney, etc.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: