Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2005, 12:30 PM   #1
dreamscometrue47
DIS Veteran

Thought my Mom would jump at this...

2006 brings my mom's 80th birthday and my 50th. So I thought that I would surprise her with an all expense paid trip to WDW, just the 2 of us, since she has always wistfully talked about how she'd love to experience Epcot, the shows at MGM, and of course, the Magic Kingdom. Well, I was going to surprise her with a trip in mid-January as a Christmas gift. My husband and I were talking about it last night, and he suggested that it may be a good idea to tell her NOW, because you never know what people really think!

Well, I just got off the phone with her, (I was pretty calm telling her even though I was SO excited!) and she didn't automatically say "OF COURSE!!" but needs to think about it! Don't get me wrong; she was so thankful, etc., (my mom is a sweetheart and couldn't hurt anyone's feelings if she tried) but I felt a little let down at her response. I reassured her that it would be a "relaxing" trip (i've been there so many times and will be back so many more that we would do only the things that she wants to do), she'd have a wheelchair to decrease her walking time (last year she had a hip replacment but that hasn't slowed her down!), etc. I think her hesitation is that she wants a big family reunion at WDW, but after speaking with my siblings, that may not happen for a few more years (financial issues).

I already have flights on hold (Delta skymiles) and don't have to confirm them until June 17th. I hope she decides to go, because I think we would have a ball. But for now, I'm sitting on pins and needles. I don't want to pressure her just because I want us to go, but any thoughts out there to convince her that this would be really fun trip would be appreciated!
dreamscometrue47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:33 PM   #2
kilee

The Tag Fairy knows all, sees all.....
Love is in the air!

I would just give her time to think it through. Just respect her decision either way. I really think she'll most likely come around.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-04-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
zippehsmom
and Hannahs too!!

dreamscometrue47,

Don't fret over it it. I think your Mom will come around. When I originally planned our 2005 Disney Vacation, it started out with just me and my DD's (DH is Disneyed out); then I invited my neice (13) & my nephew (9); well, after some thought I invited my Mom & sister. My Mom was a little hesitate, kind of unsure if she wanted to go. She reluctantly agreed to go, but still not very excited.

Well, a week ago my Mom found out she has colon cancer, she just had surgery and should be recovered by August when we go. Well, now she is so happy she decided to because she'll be with all her grandkids. My point is give it some time. I think she will come around, and get more excited as the trip draws nearer.

zippehsmom
Aug. 1998 Port Orleans; Aug. 2002 BWV/Polynesian GVC/ Royal Pacific; July 2004 Pop Century/BWV; Aug. 2005 Royal Pacific/Wilderness Lodge/ BCV/ AKL; Dec. 2005 Pop Century; July 2006 Liki Tiki Village/ OKW/ Marriott Horizons/Portofino Bay; Jan. 2007 Port Orleans Riverside; June 2007 SSR/ Mariott Horizons/ Royal Pacific/ POFQ/ BWV; July 2009 AKV/ GF/BC/ HRH/ Carnival Cruise; June/July 2010 BC/BWV/HRH/NCL EpicAug. 2011 BC/RPR
zippehsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 12:54 PM   #4
ely3857
Would love to be a Librarian - but isn't sure if she can spell it

Smile

Hello

It's a wonderful gesture on your part.

Perhaps your mum just feels a tad overwelmed, Also what will your siblings think of your providing your mum with such an expensive birthday gift?

I do think it is an excellent idea though and hope for her sake she comes areound.

Jodie
Old 06-04-2005, 12:58 PM   #5
foxfire
I wonder what rock I've been hiding under?
Well, doggone it. Now, y'all have my tastebuds all quivery
My cat is infamous around here for having dingleberries...thus, he is a scooter

How thoughtful of you and what a wonderful surprise for your mom! Maybe she just needs a little time to get used to the idea. That's the way my mom is & she's about the same age as your mom. It's hard for her to commit to something like that when it comes out of the blue. I have finally accepted that she needs time to think about things for a little while before she makes a decision. She feels more comfortable handling things that way &, even though I sometimes wish she could decide right away, I know I will usually have to give her time. Good luck...I hope the trip works out for the two of you!
Old 06-04-2005, 01:02 PM   #6
dreamscometrue47
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all of your thoughts and advice!

I keep forgetting that she is 80 yrs old (as I said, she acts like she is 20 yrs younger). I'll just give her time to think about it, and accept any decision she makes.

As for my siblings, I talked to them beforehand and they all agreed that if I could do it now, it would be fine with them. 2 of them just bought new houses and the 3rd just had a new baby, so can't see their way clear for a WDW trip for a couple/few years.

I feel much better now!!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:10 PM   #7
dreamscometrue47
DIS Veteran

Thought I would let you all know that my Mom said "yes" yesterday to my offer. Turns out that she is a little leary of flying and that was her concern.

She is really excited now and now comes the fun part, the planning!
Old 06-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #8
tubachick
DIS Veteran
Official DIS "good thread" popcorn supplier

YEAH!!!!!! Have a great trip.
POP 10/12**CR 5/12**POP 2/12**POP 10/11**POP 7/11**POP 3/11**WL 1/11**WL 12/10**POP 10/10**CR 08/10**CSR 07/10** POP 05/10**POP 02/10 ** WL 11/09**WL 08/09**POP 06/09**POP 03/09** ASM 1/09**YC 8/08**ASM 4/08 **ASM 10/07**WL 9/07**DL/PP 4/2007**DCL 3/2007 ** CBR 3/2007**YC 8/2006**CBR 3/2006**CR 8/2005 ** WL (Honeymoon Suite)2/2005**WL(DISNEYMOON Concierge level) 4/2003**ASM 12/2000**ALS 1/2001
LAST! IT'S NOT FOR EVERYONE!
Hail thee Babylonia, the goddess of women and all things fertile, and the landmark of the bathroom
tubachick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 06:58 PM   #9
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

My mom joined us for a few days on her 75th birthday 3 years ago and she's going to some down to be with us next month for her 78th (we hope - she hasn't decided for sure yet - but i'm betting she will).

I hope your mom comes, because the CMs are fantastic when they see the birthday "girl" coming. At epcot they made a balloon hat for her and made her wear it. At the MK, at lunch, all the CMs came out to sing to her and then they all hugged and kissed her.

My mom is this very elegant, sophisticated, stately woman (the total opposite of me ), who normally you would never think would get into any of this. And she always makes fun of all of our trips to WDW. But she got totally into it. It was funny how much she enjoyed herself.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:28 PM   #10
dgaston
Proudly wears a "Believes in Fairies" t-shirt

I am so glad your mom said "yes." Hope she won't be too afraid of flying. We love to fly out of TF Greene in Providence. Does that work for you? I think it's so much nicer than Logan.
Old 06-13-2005, 09:05 PM   #11
Amy&Dan
Huge, huge thongs of them
I think Disney's main purpose in life is to drive us all crazy!
Feelings are seldom about logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamscometrue47
Thought I would let you all know that my Mom said "yes" yesterday to my offer. Turns out that she is a little leary of flying and that was her concern.

Wow that is great news! We took my parents to Disneyland last December for my stepdad's 80th and are taking them to WDW this year for her 70th. I love treating them to special times they can no longer afford on their fixed incomes. They were a little hesitant when I told them about taking them to WDW and it surprised me because we had so much fun at Disneyland. Turns out they felt guilty about having us take them. So I let them buy their own airfare (fine by me!) and are treating them to the rest. Good luck with your trip, don't you hope your kids treat you this well at some point in the future!
Amy&Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:41 PM   #12
leebee
DIS Veteran

That's so cool that your mom wants to go with you. My mom never understood how much we love WDW, would never consider going with us, or to see the joy in her grandchildren's faces. Fortunately, my MIL went with us in December and can't wait to go again! It was such fun to share it with her-- even DH had a good time (and he's DEFINITELY Disney'd out!). It was our 1st night, we were on the monorail headed for MVMCP. When my MIL spied the castle, she grabbed my arm, giggled a bit, and said, "I'm so excited! Isn't it silly?" We reassured her that it sure isn't silly, it's magical! Can't wait to take her back with us...maybe next year! Have a wonderful birthday trip with your mom!
leebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:48 PM   #13
mello
DIS Veteran

Oh that's wonderful!

Have a good time with your mom and make some great memories!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamscometrue47

Disney Cruise 2011 Dec 15-18 (Dream)
Aulani: 2012 Feb 8-11

DVC Since: October 1, 2005 (SSR); June 28, 2006 (BCV); Aug 1, 2007 (AKV)

mello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:49 PM   #14
leighmidd
Mouseketeer

How exciting! I hope that when my mother is 80 and I'm 51 (we're almost the same age diff as you and your Dmom) I can take her on a trip to Disney. She is my most treasured friend and I can't imagine giving a mother a more special birthday gift. What a darling daughter you must be!

July86 Offsite
May 96 Dixie Landings
May 99 Dixie Landings
May 00 Port Orleans: Riverside
May 01 Caribbean Beach Honeymoon
May 02 Caribbean Beach
July 03 Caribbean Beach
December 03 Port Orleans: Riverside
December 04 Port Orleans: French Quarter (1st trip with the whole family!) :thewave:
leighmidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 10:11 AM   #15
dreamscometrue47
DIS Veteran

dagston: Actually, I really like flying out of Manchester NH rather than Logan. But since I was able to get flights using Delta skymiles, Logan it is!
Can't Wait!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: