Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2005, 01:06 PM   #31
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisigprincess
Ok, I never read Mansfield Park and I was hoping that if I had her part would have made more sense to me. Has anyone read MP?

I have never read it but saw the BBC version and a more recent movie version of it. I can't remember the story that much though. I just remember the main character liked to write a lot and she had a relative who was constantly sniffing something to keep from fainting or calm her nerves. Can't recall exactly.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:54 PM   #32
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

** Bump**
septbride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2005, 03:05 PM   #33
daughter_of_amid_chaos
very very very careful about what I post
Daniel thinks I'm a REBEL! ;)

Wow i didnt even know this was the book club choice.
I started reading it today at jury duty.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:09 PM   #34
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Hmm, I was hoping to draw a similarity between Prudie's story and MP.... did you notice anything, LoraJ?
Old 06-13-2005, 03:12 PM   #35
LoraJ

I need a vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phisigprincess
Hmm, I was hoping to draw a similarity between Prudie's story and MP.... did you notice anything, LoraJ?
Not that I could catch on to or remember. I actually just purchased the audio book for mansfield park and am going to listen to it once I finish Time Traveler's Wife.

I can't remember what the main character's relationship was with her mother. I think they were poor and she sent her off to live with rich relatives.

Old 06-13-2005, 03:13 PM   #36
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny
We were licking our own bottles to prevent the germ freaks from stealing stuff
I have much love for Mr Clean and his magic eraser

I thought Prudie wished her Mother sent her off to live with rich relatives like in Mansfield Park.
It's been about 20yrs since I've read MP
Old 06-13-2005, 06:23 PM   #37
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

**bump**
Old 06-13-2005, 06:44 PM   #38
LoraJ

I need a vacation!

Here's some book club discussion questions I found for this book on the internet. I'll try and answer them later.

1.The author opens the novel with a quote from Jane Austen, part of which reads, “Seldom, very seldom does complete truth belong to any human disclosure.” Do you agree with this sentiment? Why do you think the author chooses to open the novel with this quote? How might this statement apply to each of the characters in the book?

2.When the group is first being formed, Bernadette suggests that it should consist exclusively of women: “The dynamic changes with men. They pontificate rather than communicate. They talk more than their share.” (page 3). What do you think of her statement? How does Grigg affect the group’s dynamic? How would things have been different without him?

3.While the group is reading Sense and Sensibility and discussing Mrs. Dashwood, Sylvia mentions that “the problems of older women don’t interest most writers” (page 46) and is thrilled that Austen seems to care. Do you agree with this, that most writers aren’t interested in older women? What about society in general? How does Fowler approach older women? Later, Prudie says that “An older man can still fall in love. An older woman better not.” (page 47) Do you agree? How does Fowler deal with this issue?

4.On page 228 Sylvia asks, “Why should unhappiness be so much more powerful than happiness?” How would you answer her? How does each character find her/his own happiness in the novel?

5.The book club meets from March through August. How does the group change over these six months? “I always like to know how a story ends,” Bernadette says on page 199. How do you think this story ends (the “epilogue to the epilogue”)? Does Bernadette have a happy marriage with Senor Obando? Do Allegra and Corinne stay together? How about Jocelyn and Grigg? Daniel and Sylvia?

6. At the end of the novel, Jocelyn reluctantly agrees to read some science fiction, including the work of Ursula Le Guin, and really likes it. What other authors do you think the group might like? Although they would have to change the name of their group, what author would you suggest for the Central Valley/River City all-Jane-Austen-all-the-time book club to read next? What do you suggest for your own group?

7. If you’re new to Jane Austen, are you now interested in reading her work? Based on what you’ve learned from Karen Jay Fowler, which novel would you go to first? If you are already a “dedicated Janeite,” how has reading The Jane Austen Book Club made you feel about your favorite author? How would you describe your own “private Austen”? What novel would you recommend to first-time readers of Austen?

Old 06-13-2005, 07:24 PM   #39
Gwene65
Minnie Brown
Always a bridesmaid

Making Dreams Come True Everyday

4.On page 228 Sylvia asks, “Why should unhappiness be so much more powerful than happiness?” How would you answer her? How does each character find her/his own happiness in the novel?

Thats is b/c of simple human nature. Look at your local news. Do they not spend majority of the show talking about bad news? Mine alots just one small segment a night for good news. Do people not stop to look at a car wreck? For some reason we are drawn to unhappiness.

As for each character finding happiness-I don't know if any of them did. Except for Sylvia who learned to be happy w/o her husband. But then in the end she ended up with him again anyway. I suppose Grigg & Jocelyn did find happiness but I despise Jocelyn so much I could care less what she finds.

Here is a question. What is the significance of Sylvia's husband finding that rose on the sidewalk? I know it fell from Prudie's lapel but why did the author even put this part into the book? Sylvia's husband thought it was a sign, but it really wasn't b/c it was Prudie's rose to begin with.
Gwene65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 07:29 PM   #40
Gwene65
Minnie Brown
Always a bridesmaid

7. If you’re new to Jane Austen, are you now interested in reading her work? Based on what you’ve learned from Karen Jay Fowler, which novel would you go to first? If you are already a “dedicated Janeite,” how has reading The Jane Austen Book Club made you feel about your favorite author? How would you describe your own “private Austen”? What novel would you recommend to first-time readers of Austen?

I have never read Jane Austen and based on this book I don't think I will. If this book is any indication of what her books will be like, I will pass. This was such a fluff read with no real character development. I might be in the minority here but what is your own "private Austen"? I don't think I have ever been so into a author that I study and think deeply about them. I really liked "Wuthering Heights" and I find Emily Bronte's life haunting and interesting but I never really went in depth into it. I just read what I like.

So can anyone who is a Austen fanatic tell me which book of hers is worth the read and tell me that it is written better then "The Jane Austen Book Club"?
Old 06-13-2005, 07:46 PM   #41
LoraJ

I need a vacation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwene65
So can anyone who is a Austen fanatic tell me which book of hers is worth the read and tell me that it is written better then "The Jane Austen Book Club"?
This author is nothing like Jane Austen.
I would suggest "Pride & Prejudice".
Have you ever seen the movie "Sense & Sensibility"?

Old 06-13-2005, 07:49 PM   #42
Gwene65
Minnie Brown
Always a bridesmaid

I have one of her books in my garage. I have never read it, can't get past the first couple of pages for some reason.

I have not seen any of the movies. Do you suggest Sense & Sensability? Mansfield Park seems interesting. A girl gets sent to live with her rich relatives. Seems kind of like Great Expectations but I'm sure it is more exciting.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:04 PM   #43
LoraJ

I need a vacation!

I think of all the movie versions of Jane Austen books, Sense & Sensibility is the best. I would rent that. If you have trouble getting past the first few pages of her books, I would watch the movies first. That's what I have done. There is a really good BBC/A&E version of Pride & Prejudice that is very true to the book and it is about 5 hours long. It stars Colin Firth. I would check out those two DVD's and not worry about the books.

I haven't read Mansfield Park yet, but I have seen a movie version of it and a BBC version. Neither were as good as Sense and Pride, but i have heard that the book is so much better.

Sense & Sensibilty is story about 4 women, a mother and her 3 daughters, who are forced out of their large estate to live practically penniless after the father dies. Will the daughters ever be able to find suitable mates now that they no longer have money?

I believe Sense & Sensibility won Best Screenplay the at the Oscars.

Old 06-13-2005, 08:07 PM   #44
DD2Disney
Now if I could just make money for posting on the DIS
For the record I like Ariel and Woody
I am a christmas fanatic!!

I'm sorry I could not get into The Jane Austen Book Club. I did read it but thought it not worth the time. I do think your questions and answers here are great though. My comment is for the poster who asked what Jane Austen book to read first .... My personal favorite is: Persuasion.

Tricia

DD2Disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:05 AM   #45
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

Bump!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: