Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #16
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny
We were licking our own bottles to prevent the germ freaks from stealing stuff
I have much love for Mr Clean and his magic eraser

I had a feeling they would reunite from the beginning. I kind of thought it was a cop-out to put them back together. I also thought Prudie's husband was gay
Old 06-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #17
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Maybe that was my problem. It seemed a little too easy. What are your opinions on the relationship between Grigg and Jocelyn?
Register to remove

Old 06-13-2005, 12:20 PM   #18
Gwene65
Minnie Brown
Always a bridesmaid

Making Dreams Come True Everyday

1. Allegra and Grigg seem to be different then the other 3 members of the book club, did you feel that this kept them from being accepted by the other members?

I don't think Allegra was made to be an outsider because she was Sylvia's daughter. But I do think Grigg was made to feel like an outsider. They all had comments to make that were not nice, even condescending.

2. Did you identify with any of the characters?

No.

3. Did you dislike any of the characters?

Yes, I disliked almost all of them, especially Jocelyn. She is a busybody and rude. She gets annoyed with Grigg b/c he was late picking her up? And b/c he ran out of gas? Give me a break! I just really wished I could have smacked her senseless.

4. What is your opinion of the book overall?

I did not really enjoy this book. I felt it did lack substance and even with the character backrounds, I felt they fell flat and I could not have cared less about them. But this is coming from someone who has never read a Jane Austen book. (And I probably never will)

As for Sylvia and her husband getting back together-this is going out on a limb here but didn't that seem to be a very Austen thing to do? Are her books all about romantics? It just seems that would be something she could have put into her stories too.

JMHO.
Gwene65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:24 PM   #19
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwene65
As for Sylvia and her husband getting back together-this is going out on a limb here but didn't that seem to be a very Austen thing to do? Are her books all about romantics? It just seems that would be something she could have put into her stories too.
I would think if Austen was writing this she would have come up with something not as clean to happen with Sylvia. She would probably have her finding someone new or some plot twist... Though JA book's are at heart romantic, they're also very cynical at the same time. She may have had them get back together, but for some reason I don't see her taking such a cop out type ending.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:28 PM   #20
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny

I didn't like Grigg and Jocelyn together at all. It seemed forced and another cop-out.
I don't think Sylvia & Daniel's getting back together was Austen-like. Jane's a romantic but she also is very cynical about love and she over dramatizes relationships as her way of poking fun at the dramatics of people in love. There's a subtle humor and comedic bent to her romances.
If the author was trying to be Austen-like, she would have had some sort of plot twist/drama in the story and put more of a comedic twist on it. It seems the author was trying to give a neat no muss no fuss ending to the individual stories.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:45 PM   #21
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankyshank
4. What is your opinion of the book overall?
I liked it. I'm a huge fan of Jane Austen with a husband that's a sci-fi reader so I could identify with a lot of the book. I do wish there was a bit more character development. I thought Prudie was left hanging towards the end of the book like once her anecdote was told the author didn't know what to do with her
I also thought Prudie was just left hanging in the wind. And I wasn't sure what to make of her story line at all.

The break-up and back together of Sylvia and Daniel I thought was quite tangled. Obviously she was hurting which is why they put of Sense and Sensibility for so long. I think he didn't realize what he had until it was gone and then he desperately wanted it back. I don't think the story for them is over at the end of the book and they will need to work on their marriage. However I felt Sylvia was the character with the most growth through the novel. In the beginning she reminded me of a fragile bird and she learned what she was strong at and really to come into her own. Which is why in the hospital she tells him she is happy.

Grigg amused me because I think of all the characters I identified with him. I have never read Jane Austen - although I think I will give it a try. And I could see myself buying the complete works

~Amanda
septbride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 12:52 PM   #22
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Refresh my memory, what was Prudie's story? (I read the book about a month before we decided on it for the book club, so I'm a little fuzzy on some parts. )
Old 06-13-2005, 12:57 PM   #23
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny

I liked Grigg the best too.
Prudie was the French teacher that had the perfectly nice husband and thought she loved Jane the most. Her mother died and she had computer problems and a student that kept hitting on her. It was very weird.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:07 PM   #24
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Riiiiiiiiight. Thanks! That was a rather odd story. I thought she was going to end up with that student actually. That struck me as rather odd.
Old 06-13-2005, 01:13 PM   #25
Gwene65
Minnie Brown
Always a bridesmaid

Making Dreams Come True Everyday

Prudie's story was about her and her mother if I recall. Her mother always lied to her about events in her life. I didn't quite understand that and I don't know why a mother would want to even do that to her child.

Then she was at her school and she had notecards full of notes for that nights discussion. Then her mother died.

Can anyone explain why her childhood was the way it was? And why they put it in the book? That reason was lost on me.

I liked Grigg too. He was like a breath of fresh air next to the other characters.

And I think Allegra's ending was left open. So maybe that was the Austen-esqe ending? They had her with the doctor, then back with Corrinne.

To the person who thought Prudie's husband was gay-why do you think that?
Gwene65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:16 PM   #26
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Which JA book name was Prudie's chapter? (I feel so lost without my book next to me!! )
Old 06-13-2005, 01:17 PM   #27
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

P.S. I'm really enjoying the book club. Good idea, Amanda!
Old 06-13-2005, 01:32 PM   #28
septbride2002
"TO MILE 9!!!"

The book for Prudie was Mansfield Park.
septbride2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 01:58 PM   #29
phisigprincess
Finally a vet!
Another Simba Fan
Hooray for babies!
Congratulations!

Ok, I never read Mansfield Park and I was hoping that if I had her part would have made more sense to me. Has anyone read MP?
Old 06-13-2005, 02:05 PM   #30
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny

I just thought Prudie's husband was just too "perfect". Especially when the author went to great lengths to explain how Prudie really wasn't all that great looking. There didn't seem to be much interaction or romance between the 2 of them plus with the whole student thing, I just thought that Prudie's husband would wind up gay and having an affair with the neighbor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: