Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

šoš Disneyland Castle ~ Pictures

Sleeping Beauty's Castle
Click on the picture for a bigger view

Sleeping Beauty's Castle sits charmingly next to the Matterhorn. Ever since Disneyland opened, and even before, through Disney's TV show in 1954, Sleeping Beauty's castle has been one of the most photographed icons in the world. Disneyland's castle not only represents Disneyland, but is a symbol of Disney itself. The castle was designed by Imagineer Herb Ryman, and was partly inspired by Bavaria's beautiful Neuschwanstein Castle. There are references to Sleeping Beauty in the fresco paintings from the movie, and by the squirrel water spouts that were inspired by Princess Aurora's woodland friends. Also, the castle turns blue and pink at night. The drawbridge really works, and has been raised and lowered twice - once when Disneyland first opened, and again in 1983, when Fantasyland was totally redone.

The Sleeping Beauty Castle (Disney's ORIGINAL castle) is smaller than the castles at the other parks, and stands at 77-feet. Walt Disney wanted a smaller castle that would be friendly to guests, instead of a more intimidating full-scale castle, which were really built to intimidate the enemies and the subjugated people. In that regard, Sleeping Beauty Castle is charming and elegant.

For Disneyland's 50th Anniversary Celebration, the castle was transformed into a glittering jewel by day and glows pink and blue by night (thanks to Aurora's fairy friends).

The castle has been repainted in a glittering paint developed by Disney's Imagineers that shimmers in the sunshine, and has been decorated with royal banners, jewel-like sapphires, diamonds, and rubies, and it has been trimmed in gold. The 50th Logo is prominently displayed with Disney's Coat of Arms below it.

View of Castle

Castle from Fantasyland

Five of the larger spires now wear beautiful crowns that have been decorated to represent the five decades of Disneyland.

The first crown represents the first decade with Mickey Mouse ears, like those worn by the members of the Mickey Mouse Club. This crown is on the left, as you face the castle from Main Street.

The second crown represents the next decade, when Tomorrowland was redone in 1967. It has rocket ships and is accented by opal-like planets. This crown is the second one on the tall spire of the castle.

The third crown represents the third decade, when guests were wowed by the Main Street Electrical Parade. This crown has the Blue Fairy and sits on top of the tallest spire on the castle.

The fourth crown represents the fourth decade, and the opening of the exciting E-ticket ride "Indiana Jones." The crown has an Arabic look to it, and is represented by the Eye of Mara with a red ruby in its center, and guarded by snakes. This crown is to the far right.

The fifth crown represents the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland, and has Tinkerbell and fireworks all around it. This crown sits to the right of the castle entrance, as seen from Main Street.

Next to Sleeping Beauty's castle is the Snow White Grotto, worth a visit. Snow White and the dwarves were a gift to Walt Disney, and he put them next to the castle in their own special place. Because the person who made them did not realize that Snow White is taller than the dwarves, he made the figures all the same size, so the Imagineers used forced perspective to set them up in a charming grotto. Next to the grotto is a very special wishing well. Every 15 minutes or so, you can hear her song "I'm Wishing." This can be a very romantic spot

As night falls, the castle looks even more like a fairytale as it lights up.

At night, Remember Dreams Come True fireworks surrounds and highlights the castle in a spectacular show of color and lights

Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Disneyland1084
OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
I'm not going to let that chickenhead nugget bother me
HEY!! Where is everyone?

Thanks for posting these photos MaryJo! They're gourgeous!!!! I can't WAIT!!! ONLY 49 more days until I'm at Disneyland!!!!
Disneyland1084 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-03-2005, 10:05 PM   #3
Disneyland_emily
I soo need to get that
I *knew* there was a reason I still had faith in people
I can't sleep unless I say goodnight to Drew

Awesome!

Is it July YET?? I need a DL fix
Old 06-03-2005, 10:22 PM   #4
Blndiebby25
Mouseketeer

Thank you so much MaryJo for posting the great pictures. Only 3 more sleeps and we'll get to see it in real life.

DISNEYLAND FAMILY VACATION! ~ June 2005 (All 12 of us!)
DISNEY WORLD FAMILY VACATION! ~ August 2015
Blndiebby25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 10:51 PM   #5
dulluth
Mouseketeer

Great Info!!!

Thank you so much for not only sharing the wonderful photos, but also the great commentary. I can hardly wait to impress my family with this knowledge! Any other hints to look for, 50th related or otherwise. This will be our first visit. We start by going to Monterey, SF, Yosemite, and then the last 4 days at DL ...cannot wait!!!!! You are really adding to my anticipation with these lovely castle pictures!!
dulluth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 11:18 PM   #6
Mom2Joce
It all started with a...

I just LOVED that post! I had NO idea about the significance of the crowns. Very interesting!! Thanks so much,
Kelie
Old 06-04-2005, 12:37 AM   #7
chibichibirei
Mouseketeer
Hi, My name is Lisa and I'm a chronic Q-Tip user!

Wow Thanks so much! I just can't wait to see it in person!

chibichibirei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 05:38 AM   #8
MinnieM21
I've been to Disneyland a billion times but I don't even know what WDW looks like! (psst...there are tons of pictures of WDW on the Internet!)
Loves to ride Bud Light with her mom

Thanks for the pictures! I can't wait to see the castle on our trip in December.
MinnieM21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 07:29 AM   #9
TigerLilly's Mom
Victim of a drive-by tagging! :Þ

Fabulous! I love these informative threads. I had no idea about the crowns representing different eras. Thanks so much!!!!
Old 06-04-2005, 10:45 AM   #10
DisneyMan1016
Mouseketeer

GREAT PICS!!! I was looking for good pics of the crowns, and I found them! Yeah!
Old 06-05-2005, 04:36 PM   #11
DonnettaR
DIS Veteran

Great photos and information!!!!!!

DonnettaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 05:34 PM   #12
ely3857
Would love to be a Librarian - but isn't sure if she can spell it

Smile

I need to browse this page more often, DisneyLand looks like fun!

I had no idea Sleeping Beautys castle was so different from Cinderellas.

Your pictures are delightfull.

Jodie
Old 06-05-2005, 07:21 PM   #13
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Cool pictures!! I've been wanting to see what it looks like!!
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 10:29 PM   #14
DonnettaR
DIS Veteran

What are those two little terrets with the wall between them in the 1st picture?

DonnettaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 11:29 PM   #15
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

I took the first picture when they were setting the castle up for the Live with Regis and Kelly. The pink turrets in the foreground are props for the stage. The man in the black t-shirt & jeans is Gelman, who was having the crew set up all kinds of stuff for taping of the show the next day.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: