Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-02-2005, 11:06 AM   #1
cl1067
DIS Veteran

Question Tie Dye anyone?

I've been looking for information on the net for this and I'm struggling, so I hoping that my friends at the DIS will now the answer!

My family owns a campground in South Dakota and I have talked my mom into letting me try tie-dying t-shirts and bandannas on 4th of July weekend as one of our activities. Now, I have the t-shirts and bandannas, but I'm looking for advice on the best way to tie dye with a large group of people. It is very probable that we could have anywere from 50 to 100 people tie dying shirts. (I know, I'm probably crazy even trying this! )

I was hoping to be able to to put the dye in spray bottles. I know you can buy dye this way, but with the large number of people we will have, that would get too expensive. So does anyone know can you buy the dye and mix it and put in a spray bottle rather than in a bucket to dunk the shirts?

Also, its been years since I have tie dyed, so any advice or words of wisdom from anyone would be greatly apprecited.

TIA!

Caribbean Beach - 1998 & 2004
Cornado Springs - Jan. 2009
All Star Movies - Thanksgiving 2009
cl1067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #2
sha_lyn
If we couldn't laugh we'd all go insane

I know several people who order from here
http://www.dharmatrading.com/
Right now several of us are ordering clothing and dyes from there. It will be my first time tye dying.
sha_lyn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #3
Disneyrsh
DIS Veteran

www.familyfun.com (a disney company) had an article last year about doing different tie dye techniques, and the website has it all archived. Pretty good step by step instructions, too.
Disneyrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2005, 11:28 AM   #4
piratesmate
Drah-gun! I don't do that tongue thing!
I actually used to be smart...before I had kids & brain damage

I don't know the specifics, but if you can't find it here the info may not exist. j/k http://www.google.com/custom?domains...D%3A1%3B&hl=en

I've always done it in buckets - never with squirt bottles - so I'd be no help with that. My first thought, though, was to suggest you have the people tie the shirts & have someone in charge of each bucket.
Old 06-02-2005, 05:46 PM   #5
ValerieK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sha_lyn
I know several people who order from here
http://www.dharmatrading.com/
Right now several of us are ordering clothing and dyes from there. It will be my first time tye dying.

This is the best place to buy from. Their dyes are very good and will not fade. I had friends way back when, that used these dyes for the tye dyed shirts they sold at The Grateful Dead concerts. They also have small booklets on how to tye dye. Call them and ask them to help you with what you need. They are very helpful and will make sure you get everything.

For several of my DS's birthday parties we have tye dyed and I also had my 3rd graders do them at the end of the year party one year. The shirts need to sit overnight in the dye and then be washed with a special chemical to keep the excess dye from backstaining the shirt. The shirts also should be soaked in soda ash before they are dyed. I can give you some good tips on how I did them with my students and my DS's friends if you want to PM me.
ValerieK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: