Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2005, 05:31 AM   #1
TLinden16
Scotty and Ray at Jellyrolls RULE!!! *poke* *poke*
Operating under the influence of Colin Farrell's eyes

Karen's May Trip--Day 6--The Nelsons + Epcot Vybe + Jellyrolls=a whole lot of singing

Day 6--Thursday, May 12, 2005

The Nelsons + Epcot Vybe + Jellyrolls=a whole lot of singing

I woke up early again this morning so I could meet up with Kaycee to head over to the Magic Kingdom. I lost my voice, and could barely speak on Thursday morning. I guess all of the singing, screaming, and late nights in a smokey bar had taken it's toll on my voice. I bet Kaycee was glad that I lost my voice because it would mean she wouldn't have to listen to me ramble as much

I grabbed a quick breakfast at the Boardwalk Bakery (I can't remember what), and met Kaycee near the pool to walk to the bus stop to get a bus to the Magic Kingdom. They were filming an episode of Regis & Kelly when we walked into the park, so there were tons of people loitering around, trying to catch a glimpse. We made our way down Main Street, stopping so I can take a few pictures of the castle when we got to the hub.

We decided to head directly to It's A Small World. We both wanted to ride it again, and we knew there had been long lines for it most of the week. We wound up stopping and riding Peter Pan first, since there was no line for it. We then went on It's A Small World, and then onto Mickey's Philharmagic.

We then headed over to the Haunted Mansion. We also went and road Splash and Thunder Mountains again. We then made our way over to Pirates of the Caribbean.

After Pirates, we headed back towards Main Street. I wanted to leave the park soon, and head over to the Kona Cafe for lunch. Kaycee decided to have lunch at the Magic Kingdom. On my way out of the park, I stopped and pick up some Mickey ears for some of my co-workers' kids.

I then took the monorail over to the Polynesian. I was seated right away at the Kona Cafe. I started off with some Sticky Wings, one of my favorite things to get on a Disney trip. The wings are just so tasty and messy (as most really good things are). I also ordered a beef teriyaki salad, which was delicious. The dressing was very tasty, and there was a lot of beef in it.

After lunch, i walked to the Ticket & Transportation Center to get a monorail over to Epcot. I had to wait close to 15 minutes for the monorail to leave the station, as there was a problem with another vehicle on the rail. I chatted with a nice woman from Kentucky, and another from Colorado while on the monorail. That's one of the things I love about going to Disney--you can chat with a lot of nice people when you are commuting or wating in line.

When I arrived at Epcot, I immediately made my way back to the American pavillion, where I would spend my afternoon watching Epcot Vybe and the Voices of Liberty. I was video taping a lot during Epcot Vybe, and a couple of the guys kept on coming over and talking directly into the camera. I spent a lot of time sitting on the padded heated marble of the American pavillion that day.

During one of the Voices of Liberty sets, I was sung to by one of the guys. He took my hand and sang to me during "Oh Susanna." They do a little sight gag during the song, and I happened to be the vicitim once in the afternoon. I won't tell you what they do so I don't spoil it for folks who haven't seen it.

The cast members in the Voices of Liberty are very sweet. A few of them came over to me and commented on how I had been watching them all day long. One of them told me to keep on coming back to see them.

While I was watching Epcot Vybe and the Voices of Liberty, I started chatting with a woman named Shane and her mom Bernice. They go to see Epcot Vybe once or twice a week. They were planning on staying for the Nelsons concert that night, so they invited me to join them. I love the way you can meet someone down at Disney, spend an afternoon with them, and feel like you've known them forever.

After Epcot Vybe's last set of the day, one of the members of the group, Sean, called Shane over. I went over with her, and talked to him for a few minutes. I told him how much I loved the group, and how I had been hoping to get them singing one of my favorite songs "Seasons of Love" from the hit Broadway musical on tape. He recalled that I did get it on tape, and told me he was glad I got it.

Shane and I then went out to meet up with Bernice, who was kind enough to get in the line for the Nelsons concert. While we were waiting to be let into the theatre, Sean and Ryan from Epcot Vybe walked by. The stopped and chatted with us for a few minutes, telling us that they would be back for the Nelsons concert. They also sang a chorus of one of Nelson's songs from their debut CD.

When they let us into the theatre, Shane and I were able to get seats in the front row. When Ryan and Sean showed up, we made room for them to sit with us. I really enjoyed chatting with Ryan and Sean--they sure are two sweet guys. They kept on serenading us with Nelson songs while we waited for the concert to begin. Ryan and Sean both have fantastic voices, and they sound great when they harmonize together--guess all those years in Epcot Vybe have paid off for them. I joked with Shayne that it was like having our own Nelson twins with us.

I was very excited for the Nelsons concert, and it definitely was one of the highlights of my trip. I loved Nelson when I was in college, and had seen them in concert a few times in the early 90's. They did a fantastic set of their dad Ricky Nelson's music, followed by two of their own songs, including their number one hit "(Can't Live Without Your) Love & Affection."

I was having almost as much fun watching Ryan and Sean at the concert as I was watching the concert themselves. They were really into it, and they sang along enthusiastically throughout the concert. They were bouncing around in their seats like maniacs. I definitely enjoyed the show more because I was with people who like the Nelsons as much as I do.

After the show, I got a quick picture with Sean and Ryan. They are two of the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting. They were so friendly and warm--especially Sean. I really enjoyed talking to them about Epcot Vybe, and listening to them sing Nelson songs.

I walked out of the theatre, thanking Shane and Bernice for letting me join them for the concert. It sure was nice to meet such nice people at Epcot, and have such an enjoyable afternoon with them. What a great way to spend a day!

I then decided to head back towards the Boardwalk. I was originally planning to meet Kaycee at Jellyrolls at 8:00, but I decided to catch another set by the Nelsons that evening, and stay around to meet them, as they were planning on signing autographs after their third set. I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to meet them, and share a story with them. So, I called Kaycee, and rearranged the plans for the evening.

On my way to the Boardwalk, I stopped at Beaches & Cream for dinner. I got a chicken caesar salad, and a side order of fries. I love the chicken caesar salad at Beaches & Cream--I try to grab one every trip. I got a brownie ala mode for dessert. I really enjoyed my meal.

I then ran back to my room to drop a few things off, and get ready for another night out. After just a few minutes in the room, I was headed back to Epcot for the Nelsons last set of the day.

I arrived at the theatre about 20 minutes early, and grabbed a seat mid-way back. I met a really nice woman named Sandi, and we chatted until the concert started. After the concert, Sandi and I got in line to meet the Nelsons. We took pictures of each other with them.

Both Matthew and Gunnar Nelson were extremely nice guys. The graciously posed for as many pictures as everyone wanted--lots of folks had pictures taken with each of them, and then both of them.

When I got up to them, I shared a story with them. I had seen them in concert in Boston back in March of 1991 (Matthew remembered the show, and described the club to me). That night at the concert, they played a song called "Love Me Today," which they had written about their dad. I remember Matthew saying, "This song is dedicated to anyone who has had someone they love pass on, and had to live through it." When I got home from the concert that night, I found out that my beloved grandfather had passed away that evening. My family was in bed by the time I got home, and I was left alone to begin grieving. But that song, and those words Matthew said helped comfort me that night.

As soon as I told the story, Matthew immediately wrapped his arms around me and gave me a big hug. When he let go, Gunnar gave me a big hug. They seemed touched by the story, and were glad they were able to help me through a difficult time. I got a great picture of me with them.

After meeting the Nelsons, I walked towards the Boardwalk with Sandi. I said goodbye to my new friend, and headed over to Jellyrolls to meet Kaycee. Ray and Michael were just finishing up a set when we arrived. Pete and Tommy were the other pairing for the evening.

I really enjoyed Pete even more the second time around. I really feel that he is a great addition to the Jellyrolls pianomen, and I look forward to seeing him again on future trips. I stopped him before he went in the back after a set to tell him how much we enjoyed us. He remembered as as Karen and Karen from earlier in the week (although he thought I was Karen from Kentucky instead of Kaycee, and he couldn't remember where I was from). He was very sweet, and he seemed happy that we stopped him to share our thoughts on his playing with him. I told him that I'd be back in November.

Michael continued to disappoint with his piano playing. At one point, he sat there playing a chord during a song that didn't even fit in. And I was disappointed when he did one of Ray's trademark songs--Baby Got Back.

I was pretty tired this night, so I decided to make it a relatively early evening. I dropped a tip on Ray's piano with a note thanking him for another fun week, and telling him I'd be back in November/December. He gave me a goofy Ray grin and waved goodbye.

Kaycee and I left the bar shortly after midnight. I went back to my room, and sat on the balcony for a few minutes. I packed up some of my things, and was in bed by about 1:00. Tomorrow would be my last day at WDW

Old 05-19-2005, 07:11 AM   #2
iluvdisney
DIS Veteran/DVC Member
Mr & Mrs Mallard have come home!

That sounds like a great day, Karen. I enjoy listening to the Nelson's too. I'll have to try and catch them next year if they come to EPCOT again next spring.
Sure sounds like you have a great time on your trips there!
Thanks for sharing your trips with us!

Grammie loves her grands!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-19-2005, 08:38 AM   #3
zoegirl
DVC Wannabe

Oh Karen I am SO jealous you got to see Nelson. I loved them back in high school and wanted to go to Epcot this month to see them but it didn't work out for us Now "After the Rain" will be in my head allllll day!

You are such a fun person, I have so enjoyed your reports and I'm sad to see them ending.
-I hope you're down there when we are in November-
Old 05-19-2005, 09:09 AM   #4
TLinden16

Zoegirl, when in November are you going to be there. I'm going to be there Nov. 29-Dec. 5.

Old 05-19-2005, 04:39 PM   #5
zoegirl
DVC Wannabe

ya know, we haven't decided yet. Our anniversary is the first part, but I was holding out to make ressies when I saw some annual pass rates come out for that time period. I would also really like to see it all decorated for Christmas, so who knows. I'm taking notes from those of you that have been tons of times. I'll be sure to eat at the places you say are real good, and hang out at the hot spots (ie: jellyrolls). It will be our first trip totally navigating the place on our own. It would be so great to meet up with some DISers. Would make the trip extra cool!

looking forward to more of your report.
Old 05-20-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
Ron from Michigan
Our first Grandchild !!!

Thanks Karen for anothere great post. I check every morning for the next installment. It is so neat that you got to meet Nelson. I got to meet there Dad years ago after seeing him in concert. We are counting down the days to our next trip Sept. 30 - Oct. 9 & Nov. 30 - Dec. 10.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:39 AM   #7
TLinden16

I have the last day of my trip report ready to go, but have been having some computer issues, so it's going to be delayed

Ron, I'm going to be there Nov. 30-Dec. 5th. Keep your eyes peeled on the meet board. I'll be planning a Jellyrolls meet at some point.

Karen

Old 05-20-2005, 03:40 PM   #8
travelin' tigger

I've finally met Tigger and I'm doin' the "Super Duper Alley Ooper Loop-de-Looper Bounce"!

Can't wait for the next JR Dis Meet!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLinden16
I was pretty tired this night, so I decided to make it a relatively early evening. I dropped a tip on Ray's piano with a note thanking him for another fun week, and telling him I'd be back in November/December. He gave me a goofy Ray grin and waved goodbye.
I'm counting down the days, weeks and months until we're all back at Jellyrolls. Hopefully I'll be able to make a meet on Dec. 2nd, 3rd or 4th since Phil and I don't fly in until that Friday night.

Thanks for the great reports Karen!!! It was tough not to be able to get back to the World this May and hang out with you, but that'll make Dec. all the better!!!!

Talk to you later!!!!

2015: AKV Mar ~ 2014: BWV Mar • GFV/BLT Jul • OKW Nov ~ 2013: BWV Mar • BWV Jul • OKW Nov ~ 2012: BWV Feb • BCV Aug • OKW Nov ~ 2011: OKW May • AKV Jan ~ 2010: OKW Nov • HR/BCV Aug • ASMu/BCV May • AKV Jan ~ 2009: BWV Dec • OKW Oct • ASMu Sep • Pop July • BWV May • Pop Feb ~ 2008: OKW Nov • BCV Aug • BWV Jun/Jul • BWV Mar ~ 2007: BWV Dec • ASSp/BWV Nov • ASSp/BWV Sep • ASMu May•BWV Mar ~ 2006: BWV Dec • Dolphin Sep/BWV Oct • ASMu Aug • Pop/BCV May • Dolphin/BWV Jan ~ 2005: Swan/HR/OKW Dec • ASMo Sep/BWV Oct • Pop Feb ~ 2004: Swan/RPR Dec • Pop/WL Oct • Safari May • Pop Jan ~ 2003: Dolphin/RPR Nov/Dec • CSR Jun • CBR Jan ~ 2002: POFQ/ASMu Dec • ASSp Jun • ASMu Feb ~ 2001: ASMu Nov

Old 05-27-2005, 01:23 AM   #9
KristaTX
♥DIS Veteran♥
I never knew that Fruit of the Looms were souvenirs from my state

You write such wonderfully descriptive trip reports, my friend . How's the computer? I don't want to miss the last day's report.
Old 05-27-2005, 05:18 AM   #10
TLinden16

Computer is back up and running. I have Day seven done, but have not been able to get it to post to the boards.

Karen

Old 05-28-2005, 07:58 PM   #11
LadyLuc361
DIS Veteran

Yay! I just got done reading day 6 and was looking for day 7. Great report, sounds like you had a great time with other Disers. Looking forward to reading the rest!

Me DH DD (Disney Dog)
Old 05-28-2005, 08:17 PM   #12
TLinden16

Thanks, ladyluc. Still can't get day seven posted. I may just have to throw it on this thread.

Old 05-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #13
Disneygrl36
Happy DVC member!!!!

Karen,
I am loving your report.
Especially love reading about your visits to Jellyrolls. I finally got to go in Nov & can't wait to go back again. The guys are great & it makes for such a fun night. Ray sang "Jessie's Girl" for me which really thrilled me..when I made the request, I really didn't think they would sing it.
I only wish it wasn't so smokey, but I'll endure the smoke for a fun night of sing-a-longs.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
TLinden16

Glad to hear you had fun at Jellyrolls, Melanie. I've heard Ray sing Jesse's Girl before. That's a fun song.

Old 05-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #15
Minniespal

The Original 'Free Spirit'
Who's Next??

Great report ~ Thanx for sharing.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: