Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Hopetobee
DIS Veteran

Question Can you tell me about Netflix?

Do you like it? Can you get new releases pretty soon, or do you have to wait a couple of weeks for them? Where I live, it's at least 2 weeks or more before you can rent a new movie, their always out, and I was thinking Netflix might be a good option.
Hopetobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 10:10 AM   #2
kerrynic78
New mom to sweet baby Audrey!

We love Netflix! I can send a movie back to them and literally have a new one within 2 days of sending it back. I have only had to wait on a new release once, it said long wait but I got it very quickly. We enjoy it and my DH and I always fight over who gets to the queue first to put in movies!!
kerrynic78 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-03-2005, 10:57 AM   #3
Jenn Lynn
Eli and Avery's Mama
They both inherited my eyebrow
Keep those mosquitoes away from me
Has an in with the weatherman

I usually get new releases with little to no wait. I do recommend not looking in the New Release section for the latest releases. I go to Blockbuster.com and see what has been released and do a search for it and add it to my Queue. I also put in movies that are still in theaters and when they are released they are automatically added to your Queue at the bottom.

We really love Netflix and it is so convenient. I recommend them.
Jenn Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:35 PM   #4
rkrivas
Mouseketeer
there must be more pb than j

I really like Netflix as well -- we've been members for a couple years.

In terms of how quickly new releases are sent, National Treasure (which is being released today) was shipped from Netflix yesterday afternoon.

Mom to DD 13 and DS 11

Trips to WDW:
August 2012, POR
December 2007, WL
February 2005, WL
August 2003, CBR
March 2002, ASM
August 2000
June 1992
July 1979
rkrivas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:51 PM   #5
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

I just got Lemony Snicket, Blade Trinity, and Finding Neverland today. I do like the fact I don't have late fees and can watch it at my leisure. Also the selection is fantastic. They almost have everything ever made on DVD. Stuff that stores don't carry. I enjoy it very much.
Although Blockbuster is cheaper and you get 2 free coupons, it is tempting to jump ship and head over to BB...but I have paid them a FORTUNE in late fees and Netflix will have to mess up before I jump ship.
The Mystery Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 02:58 PM   #6
ChrisnSteph
Ask me about Ben Franklin's bathroom habits...
this really dills my pickle

I love Netflix! No complaints here!
ChrisnSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #7
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning
I have been known to eat cookies for dinner
Grew up on Stove Top Stuffing

Hated it! I got throttled. I am happier with Blockbuster, quicker mailing times, quicker response, two free coupons for games or movies per month in store, and a FREE FOUR week trial vs. Netflix two.
Cindy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
Crankyshank
love the happy bunny
We were licking our own bottles to prevent the germ freaks from stealing stuff
I have much love for Mr Clean and his magic eraser

I really like Netflix, but I do get aggravated with them at times because they throttle movies on occasion. The turn around time is fast, though. I sent back Blade Trinity and Deadwood S1 D2 yesterday and today they're shipping Phantom and Deadwood S1D3. There were a lot of problems after they dropped the prices and more people joined up, but fortunately they seem to have gotten their act together. I do have a problem with waits on some movies- if it shows a short wait usually that means a month for me until I get the movie

The only bone of contention I have is that Finding Neverland has been #1 in my queue since its release 6wks ago and has always shown a wait until this past Friday. It's showing available now, but they sent my choice 3 and 4 to me instead of Finding Neverland.
Old 05-03-2005, 03:05 PM   #9
cgcw
On the blinkie Crocs foot-fetish crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn Lynn
I usually get new releases with little to no wait. I do recommend not looking in the New Release section for the latest releases. I go to Blockbuster.com and see what has been released and do a search for it and add it to my Queue. I also put in movies that are still in theaters and when they are released they are automatically added to your Queue at the bottom.

We really love Netflix and it is so convenient. I recommend them.
WOW! I could have written this myself. These are my tricks too.

I love Netflix!
cgcw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 04:47 PM   #10
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

LOVE IT!

We got Phantom today - and it's released today! So you can tell how quick things often come =) We got Neverland and Lemony Snickets the day they were released as well.
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:05 PM   #11
Cindy B
Have taken some furniture polish and sprayed it in the air, so it smells like I was cleaning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimeedyan
LOVE IT!

We got Phantom today - and it's released today! So you can tell how quick things often come =) We got Neverland and Lemony Snickets the day they were released as well.
I got my Phamtom shipped today.. considering I returned something yesterday thats pretty good. Blockbuster also scans returns via the Post Office not the distribution center, whereas Netflix waits until the DVD is in their center.
Old 05-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
janette
aka going2wdw
Wants to know who moved her button???
Ask me for directions

It's going to depend on your distribution centers. Our netflix service had really decreased so I tried blockbuster but it was much worse. We were waiting 5 days for DVD's to arrive. With Netflix the shipping time to/from is rarely more than a day. For awhile Netflix was delaying shipping a day at their site but that seems to be better. Even when it was bad we got more movies there than at Blockbuster.

If I really want a new release I make sure to send the movies back on Friday and the new release will ship that Monday.

Didn't do that this week but shipped movies back Monday, I'm getting Phantom but not National Treasure shipped today. I'll keep National Treasure at the top of my que but it usually takes awhile if you don't get a copy on release date.

janette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #13
Toby'sFriend
The thing about growing up with Fred and George is that you start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.

I switched from Netflix to Blockbuster a couple of months ago and we have had no problems with them. We were having several movie delays with Netflix. I think the answer to which you will prefer really depends upon the location of your house vs the Distribution Centers. Blockbuster just opened a new Distribution center closer to my house, and my mail times have dropped dramatically.

Plus, as CindyB says -- Blockbuster has a computer interface with the Post Office so returned movies clear my Queue the day I put them in the mail.
Toby'sFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #14
Cindy B

See, the interesting thing was that the Netflix and Blockbuster Philadelphia distribution cneter locations are very close to one another, and about a 1/2 hour drive from my house.

I would mail a DVD to Netflix, it would take 2 days, and 2 days to come back.
Another DVD would go to Blockbuster, it would clear the same day it was mailed, and I would get another one mailed that late afternoon/evening
Old 05-03-2005, 05:25 PM   #15
Dakota_Lynn
DIS Veteran

I just joined Netflix land month and I'm quite happy with it! I was amazed at how fast the DVDs got to us. I really don't care much about new releases. If there is a movie I think I will really, really want, I will go out and buy it. For the most part, though, I don't mind waiting to see a new release. Netflix has a lot of great foreign films, and that is what I'm most interested in.
Dakota_Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: