Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Densgirl
Don't call me unless it's a life or Disney situation

Our Busch Gardens, Colonial Williamsburg experiences with DS and family

Hi All,

I had responded to a thread but can't find it now. We were anxious about visiting here with DS15. He is an epileptic, partially ambulatory(50-100 feet if super motivated ), suffers from significant developmental delay and is only partially potty trained. I was unsure about how Busch Gardens would measure up to what we were used to at Disney. We ebayed a Fairfield resort only a mile or two from Williamsburg and a 5 min ride to Busch Gardens. It was cheap, huge and had everything but toothbrushing stuff and clothes. They even provided the Tide. Nothing like coming home and just unpacking clean clothes into everyones drawers It was nicely themed toward the Colonial atmosphere of Williamsburg and was about the size of a two bedroom and the studio lockout at DVC. We loved it.

I really liked Busch Gardens. The park is beautiful, everything is incredibly accessible and they really do work with you to get your particular needs met. The only complaints I would have are the numerous hills(DS is still in a manual chair as is my Mom. My brother is recouperating from a serious accident he had last year that left him with nerve damage so he rented an ECV.) There are million hills here and although there is a train, it only really helped to take one or two hills out by using it and you also missed out on some of the exhibits or rides if you used it. And secondly the CM's here are good but they don't seem to have enough which causes a little confusion getting to the proper place to board but once you find one or they see you they are awesome The lady who ran the aviary even let my son go through alone as they were closing up. There had been a scheduling mistake made on the park map/info sheet and the incorrect closing time was listed. She had noticed us waiting to get earlier and remember my DS. She let us in even though they were closed and told him to take his time because it would take everyone a while to wash their hands and get through the gift shop. It was really special for him because he loves birds and some landed directly on him or on parts of his chair and he was squealing in delight when it happened. We used the First Aid Center for DS's diaper changes and the women who ran them were so sweet, nice and efficient. We didn't get the Guest Assistance Pass they offer because DS's disabilties are so evident we've never run into any problems but I know they did offer one at their guest services for disabilites that aren't visible right off. I believe they worked pretty much like Disney's GAC from what we were told.

As far as Colonial Williamsburg went, I can only report on the wheelchair conditions because my brother(ECV rider ) had an Asthma attack and skipped out on it. There were some parts of the attractions that were not wheelchair friendly (sand with small, pebbly gravel on top) but there are a few paved roadways that run inbetween that are blocked off to cars and they had shops, exhibits, and restaurants galore! They were very easily navigable. We used our own vehicle but did see wheelchair accessible busses running through the areas. The originated at the Visitors Center and you were also able to rent wheelchairs here but they were limited b/c I heard the reservationist next to ours tell a family they got the last one and it was only around 11am. Overall though a very fun week and much better access than I had anticipated. Please feel free to ask if there are any questions. Oh yeah and don't miss Pet Shenanigans at BG if you are an animal fan. It was hilarious.
Densgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 06:28 PM   #2
riu girl
DIS Veteran

Smile

Thank you for sharing your experience. That is such a special story about your son and the aviary. You must have been thrilled.

Thank you for providing all of the information. We are going to Busch Gardens (but in Tampa) this December and have a child with non-visible special needs. I have talked to their guest service dept. and have been told that they offer a card similar to the GAC at Disney. I hope it works out ok for us.

We are purchasing 2005 Bush Gardnes Florida Fun passes. For $62 adults (plus tax) and $52 kids (plus tax) we will be allowed unlimited visits to Busch Gardens. We feel that this is a very good price (too good in fact) and are kind of wondernig what we are getting into.

Since we are able to go back as often as we like we are hoping to visit 4 tiems during our two weeks in Florida.

Thanks again for all the info.
Suzy V.
riu girl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2006, 11:41 PM   #3
playwright
Mouseketeer

Smile great report!

Thanks for the informative report, including the info about the hotel. We'd love to take a trip there. Glad you and your family enjoyed it.
playwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
shovan
DIS Veteran

Thanks!

shovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
steffali
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Densgirl
Hi All,

I had responded to a thread but can't find it now. We were anxious about visiting here with DS15. He is an epileptic, partially ambulatory(50-100 feet if super motivated ), suffers from significant developmental delay and is only partially potty trained. I was unsure about how Busch Gardens would measure up to what we were used to at Disney. We ebayed a Fairfield resort only a mile or two from Williamsburg and a 5 min ride to Busch Gardens. It was cheap, huge and had everything but toothbrushing stuff and clothes. They even provided the Tide. Nothing like coming home and just unpacking clean clothes into everyones drawers It was nicely themed toward the Colonial atmosphere of Williamsburg and was about the size of a two bedroom and the studio lockout at DVC. We loved it.

I really liked Busch Gardens. The park is beautiful, everything is incredibly accessible and they really do work with you to get your particular needs met. The only complaints I would have are the numerous hills(DS is still in a manual chair as is my Mom. My brother is recouperating from a serious accident he had last year that left him with nerve damage so he rented an ECV.) There are million hills here and although there is a train, it only really helped to take one or two hills out by using it and you also missed out on some of the exhibits or rides if you used it. And secondly the CM's here are good but they don't seem to have enough which causes a little confusion getting to the proper place to board but once you find one or they see you they are awesome The lady who ran the aviary even let my son go through alone as they were closing up. There had been a scheduling mistake made on the park map/info sheet and the incorrect closing time was listed. She had noticed us waiting to get earlier and remember my DS. She let us in even though they were closed and told him to take his time because it would take everyone a while to wash their hands and get through the gift shop. It was really special for him because he loves birds and some landed directly on him or on parts of his chair and he was squealing in delight when it happened. We used the First Aid Center for DS's diaper changes and the women who ran them were so sweet, nice and efficient. We didn't get the Guest Assistance Pass they offer because DS's disabilties are so evident we've never run into any problems but I know they did offer one at their guest services for disabilites that aren't visible right off. I believe they worked pretty much like Disney's GAC from what we were told.

As far as Colonial Williamsburg went, I can only report on the wheelchair conditions because my brother(ECV rider ) had an Asthma attack and skipped out on it. There were some parts of the attractions that were not wheelchair friendly (sand with small, pebbly gravel on top) but there are a few paved roadways that run inbetween that are blocked off to cars and they had shops, exhibits, and restaurants galore! They were very easily navigable. We used our own vehicle but did see wheelchair accessible busses running through the areas. The originated at the Visitors Center and you were also able to rent wheelchairs here but they were limited b/c I heard the reservationist next to ours tell a family they got the last one and it was only around 11am. Overall though a very fun week and much better access than I had anticipated. Please feel free to ask if there are any questions. Oh yeah and don't miss Pet Shenanigans at BG if you are an animal fan. It was hilarious.
We went there last year. We stayed at a lovely timeshare ( I forgot the name) I agree with you about those hills. It was almost as bad as AK We didn't think about taking the train until our 2nd day there
Old 11-25-2006, 08:09 PM   #6
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

I just noticed that this is an old thread (from 2005) and there is a link to it in the Other than Disney: places elsewhere you may want to check out! thread near the top of the board.
I thought it was a very good report at the time (and it's still very good).

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Singledad
DIS Veteran

seaworld

so, anyone have any info about seaworld? My daughter has SPD and is under evaluation for autism... do they do anything like the stroller for wheelchair tag?

PTR June 2011 TR June 2011 Dis Dad's club member #594
Singledad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 09:52 AM   #8
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

If you click on where it says "disABILTIES" at the top of this page it will take you to the Index. One of the top items is the "disABILTIES FAQ" which will gives lots of useful information. Post #10 discusses SeaWorld Orlando.

Or, if you want an easier route to the FAQs, click on the link in my signature.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
Singledad
DIS Veteran

wow, this is what I get for posting in the middle of my night. I replied to the wrong posting. jumped here off of it, but still.

thanks Cheshire Figment, never figured the overall FAQ would have non disney info in it.

PTR June 2011 TR June 2011 Dis Dad's club member #594
Singledad is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: