Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2005, 05:46 PM   #1
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

At what point should you go to the hospital? (gallbladder related)

I've been dealing off and on with suspected gallbladder problems. This afternoon I started feeling yucky. I have some pain in my side, some indigestion, a little heartburn, but not that stop you in your track pain.
But, my shoulder is killing me! Its in that referred area. I'm also running a low-grade fever, have some chills and a killer headache.
I tried calling the Drs. office but they were closed. I didn't wait for the answering service to pick up.
I know people sometimes roll their eyes about medical advice being asked here but I know many of you have been through this and I'd like to know what you think. I don't want to just run off to the ER for no good reason.

BTW- the last thing I ate was a chefs salad at around 1:00.

Thanks!
Old 04-26-2005, 05:59 PM   #2
MScott1851
Got a link for those Trip Reports? ;)
Type A Travel Planner
I'm a complete sucker for a drop dead gorgeous dress and strappy heels

As an ER nurse, I say go ahead and go. If you tell them that this is an ongoing problem and you want to get treated before the pain gets excruciating, they will probably sympathize. Let them know you called your MD and didn't get a return call. I would leave a message with the answering service, though.

I swore up and down the last time I had a gallbladder attack that if I ever had that pain again, I was immediately going to the nearest hospital and getting the damn thing cut out. I was on vacation and didn't want to go to the hospital, because I knew exactly what it was and didn't want to have surgery out of town. So I laid in bed curled up in a fetal position moaning and dry heaving after I had thrown up my body weight in bile.

GO.
Register to remove

Old 04-26-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

I have no idea when you go, but if you are uncomfortable and in pain I would probably head to the hopital.

My Mom just had gallbladder surgery while on vacation in WDW. She was taken by ambulance to the hospital, mainly because they didn't really know for sure what her problem was until they did a cat scan on her. Her gallbladder was really sick (the docs words) and she stayed in the hospital for 2 days after surgery because they were afraid of infections. I do have to say that she looks 100 % better today and it will only be 1 week tomorrow since the surgery.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:09 PM   #4
MinnieM3
Survivor
Mother, teacher, friend and GAGWTA sister
John Travolta can take me flying on his jet anytime baby!!

go go go! they can do a quick ultrasound and tell you right away if something's up. Mine hit with the excruciating pain thing while I was teaching! Ugh! Don't wait, please.
WL Summer 2002 WLThanksgiving2002
AKL March 2003 AKL February 2004
CB Summer 2004
Cont. Tower Thanksgiving 2004
WL Easter 2005
Polynesian Memorial Day 2005
Pop Century July 2006
MinnieM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 06:29 PM   #5
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

The thing is I don't have that excrutiating pain like I've had before when you can't even take a breathe.
I think I'll wait it out since It feels a little better. I think the thing that concerned me most was the low garde fever and chills.
I know when I've called the nurse before she has always asked me this and I've never had them.
I'll eat something too and see what happens.
Thanks guys!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:03 PM   #6
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Go! You should make sure it's your gallbladder and you might be able to get rid of the thing. I had an attack some years ago and had no idea what it was. DH took me to the hospital and they diagnosed a gallbladder "so distended that no more gallstones could fit' per the doctor. I had it removed and my only problem is sensitivity to fatty items, not a bad thing.

Good luck!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:10 PM   #7
Hillbeans
If you're bored, please read a book or watch TV...TFs are scared of eyebrowless people
Pulled an "Agony of Defeat" at the mall
"I told them that I liked Michael Bolton!"

I know from previous posts that you've had problems with your gallbladder, so please go to the ER and get checked out.

I think you're only putting off the inevitable and the sooner you get that thing out of you the less likely you are to develop something worse down the road. I don't need to keep repeating that my mom died of Gallbladder cancer at 66 and it's mostly because that thing became so diseased.

And MScott is right...you don't want to be throwing up Bile...my mom needed an external bile bag for the last 7 weeks of her life, because she was throwing it up too. She was even throwing up worse than that, but i'll spare you the details.

Grossed out yet? You don't want to even think about that, believe me.

Just go....
1977 - 1st Trip, 1982, 2nd Trip & EPCOT, 2003 - AKL, 2004 2 trips - Marriott World and POFQ, July 2005 - Grand Gathering - Emerald Isle - Coronado, Beach Club Villas, Dolphin - Mar/Apr 2007 - Mom's meet June '08, Grand Gathering # 2 - July '08 - Bought DVC July '08- First DVC trip to BWV June '09 - AKV Jambo Poly 2010, BCV June 2011, Disney Fantasy Eastern Cruise 11/2012, Disney Magic 11/2/14
Hillbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #8
BCVOwner2002
I do math problems in my sleep - including adding, subtracting and dividing!
Uses her Mickey Mouse Ears Alien Green pins to fight off the gray side!

I would say you should go too. I have been having problems with my gallbladder for several months and just had an ultrasound last week. Currently the pain is bad enough to do anything but I know I'm going to need to get it removed eventually. Annmarie
BCVOwner2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:45 PM   #9
dmslush
If you don't let your dog poop in my yard, I won't let my kid poop in yours!
I like to call mine "Underlilies"
Vanilla fields makes me smell like a Candy Apple!

When I was scheduled to have mine taken out, I had a mild attack that morning.. nothing really bad. It was just a little pain and upset stomach. I actually attributed most of that to nerves. I was only 21 and had not been having trouble for very long, but didn't want to be like mom and suffer for years and years.

Well, my surgery ended up lasting for nearly 5 hours because my gallbladder was so swollen and infected that everytime they started to touch it, it would start splitting. It actually took them several hours to move it out of my body without it rupturing. LOL, I was in surgery so long that mom thought I had died and no one would tell her

But, moral of the story is that it would have ruptured if I had let it go much longer, and I wasn't even feeling that bad. So, GO GO GO GO GO GO to the ER. Get scheduled to get that poisoned thing out of you!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2005, 07:56 PM   #10
roseprincess
Proud Redhead
I was a nerd, too in high school
Ok, I gotta run. Oy!

Please go to the ER!
I had a really bad experience from gallbladder attacks about 7 yrs.ago.
I had doubling over stomach pain for a few hours every three weeks. I waited so long (almost a yr) to go to the ER because I had infant twins at home
I was taking care of. My dd when she was an infant had 3 heart surgeries. So this is why I waited a yr before I went to get checked out about my excruciating pains. When I finally went to the ER, they did tests, etc. And I was admitted with really bad pancreatitis, my test results were so off the charts, the doc said I could have died from this.
I was on oxygen, the doc almost put me on a ventilator because my o2 levels were lower than they should have been. I was on Hyperal, no food by mouth for 2 weeks, except ice chips and popsicles. I had central lines( IV's) all over my body. I had to stay in the hospital for 2 weeks, got out and then had to go back in for 2 more weeks because of complications (blood clots) from my central line. Was in CCU for 2-3 days b/c of the blood clots.
When I finally got to go home from all that, I went in the next month to have my gallbladder removed. Had to wait for my pancreas to clear up and get healthy before I had my gallbladder surgery.

I have been doing fine since. God really got me thru all that.
And the thing was, I am a nurse. I haven't worked since my twins were born.
My primary doc told me, " it's always the nurses who get into real trouble with their bodies like this because they always help others and put themselves on the back burner". Which ended up being true for me.

I don't mean to scare you, that is not my intention. But I really think you should get checked out.

Rosemarie
roseprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:17 PM   #11
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

I had the most hideous gallbladder removal (I could write PAGES about it) 4 years ago. I went to the ER 3 times in 4 days thinking that I was having a heart attack. The idiot doctors told my father and sister that I was a hypochondriac and a mental case and that I didn't have anything wrong with me.

My hairdresser finally diagnosed it - only after my 3rd trip to ER when I BEGGED them to do an ultrasound did I get diagnosed by a doctor.

The short version of my saga is that my gallbladder came very, very close to bursting (as bad if not worse than a burst appendix - 40% fatality rate by some accounts). I spent 2 weeks in the hospital for a laparoscopic gall bladder removal. I had tubes out my liver for weeks afterwards and was in excruciating pain for months. (That doesn't even cover the part where the surgeon cut an artery in my neck trying to put in a stent and left me to bleed to death).

So the short version is: Get the darn thing out. Gallbladders do not heal themselves but only get worse.

I had my appendix out while on a trip to WDW in 2003. It was done with open surgery and was such a non-event that I went to Candlelight Processional at Epcot less than 48 hours later. A gall bladder removal should be just as easy.
Old 04-26-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
drgnfly30
Take my advice, never pay full price
They call me Bobbie Vila around these parts!
I can't stop smelling myself!

If you are in enough discomfort to be considering a trip to the ER, I'd go... I've never had any gall bladder issues but a friend of mine did & it's nothing to mess around with! Your body is telling you something... I landed in the ER last fall... I really didn't 'think' I was 'that' sick but when I wasn't getting any better something told me I needed to get my butt to a Dr... on Thanksgiving!! They told me in triage that they almost threw me on the stretcher & cut my clothes off because my vitals were so bad... had me on an ekg, oxygen, and IV within minutes.

Offsite 1973~1977~1983 ~ POR Nov 2001 ~ CR Oct 2002 ~ Offsite Sept 2004 ~ Nick Oct 2004 ~ POP Feb 2006 ~ Indian Creek Villa June 2006~July 2007~June 2008 ~ CSR June 2009 ~ POP Aug 2011 ~ Swan June 2012~Dolphin August 2013~CBR Sept 2014
drgnfly30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:35 PM   #13
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by arminnie

I had my appendix out while on a trip to WDW in 2003. It was done with open surgery and was such a non-event that I went to Candlelight Processional at Epcot less than 48 hours later. A gall bladder removal should be just as easy.

You sound like my Mom. They took her gallbladder out Wednesday, she left the hospital on Friday afternoon and on Saturday we were pushing her on a wheelchair through Magic Kingdom and Epcot. She just had to ride It's A Small World and Peter Pan.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:46 PM   #14
arminnie
Tossed the butter kept the gin
I had to save it for "special" occasions (like when no one I knew would see me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy
You sound like my Mom. They took her gallbladder out Wednesday, she left the hospital on Friday afternoon and on Saturday we were pushing her on a wheelchair through Magic Kingdom and Epcot. She just had to ride It's A Small World and Peter Pan.
Mickey will motivate you!!
Old 04-26-2005, 09:19 PM   #15
becobscot
Mouseketeer
On the downhill side of the bell curve
Is a germaphobe

I would say please GO. I had my first attack when my DS was about a month old. I waited 3 years to have the surgery. Over those three years I had many excruciating attacks. When I finally decided to have it out I could have kicked myself for not doing it sooner. I had the laproscopic surgery in the morning and went home that night. I didn't take any pain medication and experienced only soreness when getting out of bed for 3-4 days! What a relief not to have those debilitating attacks anymore. Sorry this is so long but I hope you will take prompt action on this and take care of yourself! I wish you all the best!
June 2005-HRH Club More House hunting in Orlando!
June 2005-Dolphin Quick trip for SWW!
Jan. 2005-Disney Wonder Cruise
June 2004-HRH Club
Nov.2003-ASMo Jake's 1st trip to the World!
May 2002-HRH Jake's 1st trip to Universal!
becobscot is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: