Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2005, 05:16 AM   #1
Corryn
DIS Veteran
Disney Commando
Why, yes, I'd Love an apple!

Space Bags in Luggage w/Security Checks

Hello,
I usually use the Space Bags when packing our clothes. Normally we use them just inside the luggage, but with SW new Luggage Guidelines, I'll be putting the kids' clothes in their wheelie travel suitcase they bring on to the plane so we can free up the big luggage. With the 50 lb. weight limit we're going to have to bring 4 suitcases instead of loading up 2 and getting the HEAVY sticker!

#1 - Anyone ever use a space bag in their carry on luggage?
#2 - Will security make me open the space bag before/after the x-ray machine?
#3 - What do they do if they open your suitcase to check it, open the space bag and then with everything expanded try to close it and they can't?

This is the first time I'll be using the actual vacuum to suck out the air instead of manually "pushing" it out. That's why I'm concerned this time, I won't have the vacuum at the airport (!)
Old 04-17-2005, 07:32 AM   #2
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Yes sometimes they need to look through your items. Why not pack the carry ons with the space bags you roll to get the air out?
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-17-2005, 12:28 PM   #3
pugdog
DIS Veteran

usally they don't need to open the bags but of course they might. I have seen someone from TSA talk about them on tv and they said they like them because it makes it easier to look through the bags.
One word of caution though is that with the space bags you can pack more, hence wiegh more so you might have to pay more for overwieght bags.
pugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 03:56 PM   #4
pezpam
DIS Veteran

As mentioned, you'll have to watch weight with space bags - they let you pack so much and it's amazing how quickly that adds up. Probably not an issue with carry-ons, but it's something to keep track of.

I'd use the ones you manually roll up. If they do open your bag and need to open a space bag, it's YOU who will need to put it all back together again. The security folks normally do not repack bags. Some do, but you cannot count on that by any stretch, so make it easy on yourself.

Have a great trip!
Old 04-17-2005, 05:12 PM   #5
tinkerbellmagic
don't hate me because I loved the castle cake

One way to get the space bag almost vacuum tight again (since you won't have your vacuum cleaner with you when you are packing the space bag for the return trip home ) is to have one or more people sit on the space bag as you are sealing it. We put the packed space bag on the bed or chairs, sit on it, then seal it while still sitting on it. Works great for us.

Tink
tinkerbellmagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: