Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2005, 09:14 PM   #1
minmate
I can show you the world... Don't you dare close your eyes!
I mostly just like the pretty colors

MINMATE'S Trip Report: Day 5 - Just Ducky & Discovering DVC

MINMATE’S Trip Report: Pre-trip Drama… I think I’m Gonna Be sick… http://www.disboards.com/showthread....95#post8284795
MINMATE’S Trip Report: (Day 1) I Need A Vacation! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....21#post8284821
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.1) Lions & Tarzan & Mickey, Oh My! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....35#post8288435
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.2) Visiting WDW-One Potty At A Time! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792642
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.3) Magic Kingdom Nirvana
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....61#post8301761
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 3 (PT 1) POOL Is One Letter Short of POO!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792687
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 3 (PT 2) Don’t Rain On My Parade!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792750
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 4 – Out of the Ashes Rises the Phoenix: A Perfect Day
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....18#post8304118

ME (minmate)
DH -- Joe
DD6 – Cali
DD5 – Meg
DS4 – Buddy
DD2 – Jay Jay
4/5-4/12 – 7 nights at Pop Century

SAT 4/9
I forgot to mention that my dad was supposed to be coming out today. He wanted to spend some time with the kids and check out DVC with me. He called Friday night to let me know that there was a ticket snafu when printing out his boarding passes. Northwest had lost his reservation. The bottom line was that his $400 ticket (which I thought was hefty to begin with) had now turned into a $1600 ticket. He said he’d still come out if we wanted him to. Of course, we wanted to see him. He lives in Minnesota and we live in Massachusetts. It would have been great. But it wasn’t a wedding or a funeral. For $1600 we could plan ahead and fly out to see him in MN and do Camp Snoopy or we could do a whole other budget trip to WDW on THAT for crying out loud! So the plan to see Gramps was canned. The kids were a bit bummed but happy at the prospect of going to Camp Snoopy and sliding down the spoon slide in Cereal Adventure. Geesh, we’re on one vacation, talking about another to MN, wishing for another to WDW and later in the week my dad offers Joe and I two airline tix if we can use them before June… is that a third potential trip there? No wonder our vacation fund is always bone dry! I’m suspecting the airline tix were compensation from Northwest but that whole thing hasn’t grown wings yet.

Cali and Meg earned the right to plan this day. It was our free day. We let everyone sleep in til they couldn’t sleep any more! Hold onto your nightcaps ladies and gentleman. We were in WDW and guess how late we slept in… any guesses? C’mon, no peeking, just guess… 5 days into our trip, with lots of past bedtime late nights, how long do you think the kids slept in until? Okay, I give, 8 am. Yippee! But it was a leisurely 8 am, if you know what I mean. I coaxed them for a morning snuggle and finally, they convinced me to get out of bed (I’m not a morning person). First order of business for the day was swimming. Kid’s choice. We dressed and headed for the bowling pin pool – kid’s choice. It was a good one because Joe (what a guy!) grabbed the “dirty laundry suitcase” and did the wash. It was right next to the pool so it worked out nicely. The pool was quiet, sparsely populated. I sit on the side and relaxed a bit with Joe. I know some people may think it’s incredibly reckless to let a 2yo swim without an adult in the water, but 1) she had a life jacket on and 2) she is incredibly confident. She is typically a good listener too. If I ask her to stay close to the edge by me, she does. I just pull my chair close to the pool, just in case. And if it’s any concession, I used to be a lifeguard and I’m a swim instructor, so I feel justified in my choices.

At any rate, a pair of ducks decided to join the kids in the water for a morning swim. It was really unexpected and cute… until the rest of the swimmers in the pool chased them away.

We decide to head over to the Goofy sprayers and as I remind JayJay to walk – not run – she half-turns her head to listen to my bidding, thereby throwing herself off-balance and of course, she trips and falls smack on her face. Are we keeping score of how many times this kid gets hurt? I wonder if I had just overlooked the fact that she was running if she would’ve fallen in the first place. You know, I’m learning that as a mother, you can never win. Somehow, some way, if you let it, it (the bad stuff that happens to your kids) will always be your fault. Now her knee is bleeding and all I have to stop it is the stark white towels from our room. Sorry Micekeepers!

Joe meanders between the sprayers, the food court and the laundry. How can you not love a man that agrees to subject himself to everything I put him through, all the adventures I come up with, is totally good-natured about the pitfalls, never says anything negative about snafus, remains calm in the face of crisis, AND does the laundry… on vacation even!

Next stop on the kids’ list was to walk around the resort. We’d stayed in the 70’s building last time when we came with just Cali and Meg. They liked all the larger-than-life stuff over there and felt a sense of “grown-upness… here let me show you something cool, little brother and sister” when we ventured over that way. We pit-stopped at the potato heads which was a fun find last year. Then we found our way over to the playground. After awhile, I went to guest services to check on our bill, our dining plan points and the cost of upgrading to non-expiration for our tickets. We’d purchased 7-day hoppers and weren’t going to be using all of the days. I wanted to see if it was worth upgrading and how much it would cost. I quickly browsed through the gift shop, sans kids and came up with a few purchases. Then, I called Joe and they were still at the playground. I told them to meet me at the tables between the 80 and the 90. These are the big numbers outside of the food court. He called back momentarily and was flustered because he couldn’t find me. That’s because I was sitting between the 70 and the 80. Apparently, I don’t know my numbers! He teased me about that for the next few days. I guess I deserved it. By now it was noon and the kids had decided they’d done everything they wanted to do today and wanted to go into a park. We really didn’t want use a ticket for half a day. Plus, we had tentative plans to meet Jim, from DVC to check it out. Joe and I just laughed at the anomalies of our family. The traditional advice for families with kids our age is to keep them on a routine, take swim/nap breaks and build in rest/non-park days. While the kids loved to swim, they only napped one day – and yes, they actually fared great that night. But they seemed to break every mold possible. These are not laze around kinds of kids. I think we’ve got a lot of years of “active” vacationing in our future!

We grabbed lunch in the food court then headed over to the arcade via the gift shop. It is becoming a tradition for us to take pictures with silly hats on. Standing in the gift shop, we did this yet again. We always get one of Meg that is too big for her and covers her whole face, down to her neck. I imagined if we continue this tradition, the day will come that her head will actually fit in the hat. But I pushed that thought away and snapped my beloved pics.

Joe discovered in reading some info I picked up from the DVC desk at POP that they offer complimentary babysitting at the DVC meeting. We call Jim, our DVC rep and ask if he can arrange this. He does and so the kids’ choice day gets cut a bit short and after the arcade we all go back to the room to get ready for our DVC meeting. The van comes to pick us up and takes us to Saratoga Springs Resort to the DVC sales office. We check the kids into the child area. Now, understand, we do this kind of thing everyday at our local Y, where I work and also workout. I think it was just too much of a transition for Buddy to handle because he whined and didn’t take to the child area very well. The girls did. Cali was excited to get to play Kingdom Hearts. JayJay found toys and barely looked up to bid us farewell and Meg was busy at the coloring table. Secure in the fact that Buddy would survive, we left and met with Jim. He didn’t really have to sell me on the idea of DVC. Joe had questions though and still does question the overall value of this deal. Ultimately, if we did this, it would be in the future or with the help of my dad. So, really, he could’ve skipped a lot of the informational stuff. I have gotten a lot of info that I’ve gleaned from other DVC members and from the DIS. The only real urgency to checking into this right now is the free closing costs and the discount on points. We were wowed by the difference in accommodations compared to the POP. While I’m not sure how well this plan would match our needs and budget, it was two kid-free hours. I felt a bit guilty when I realized the time because I was feeling so relaxed! We met back up with the kids and were treated to free ice cream at the DVC. Then, our van driver patiently waited while we took advantage of the bathrooms (of course). We decided to head to the Boardwalk. I was under the impression this place would be more hopping. Maybe it was too early… around 5ish. The kids ran around on the lawn in the courtyard while I found a potty for Cali. I was surprised by the pool area. The pics I’ve seen make it look more impressive than it did in real life. It was also crowded and hard to navigate. After all the internal jealousy over not staying at a hotel with a hot tub, I couldn’t believe I was actually thinking I liked the POP pool areas better! Then Joe took Buddy to the bathroom, because at this point in the vacation I think it was just a game to the kids to see how much time we can spend in the bathroom. Apparently Joe found a different bathroom than I did because he never saw the pool area. I called my dad and relayed all the DVC info to him. We headed down the boardwalk in search of “something.” It wasn’t the kids, but Joe who was restless here. We slipped into the ESPN arcade for awhile. Two of the 2-player games we tried to play weren’t working properly and Joe put money into one of the Basketball hoops without realizing someone had gotten all the balls stuck in the basket and there was no way to get them out. We’d bugged the attendant enough with the other broken games that we just decided to leave. Again, I was surprised to discover I was liking the POP arcade better. It was bigger too by the way.

We decided to take the boat over to Beach Club. I figured we’d try to get into Beaches and Cream. We never made it that far. Buddy had a fit and not even the pirate ship from Stormalong Bay could pull him out of it. I don’t’ know, maybe he was just tired. I don’t really know what this change in the wind was all about. I was just wishing I could have a nice cold drink right about then. The kids played on the beach for awhile where we also watched – from a safe distance – a momma duck sitting on her eggs. She was in a heated stare down contest with another duck who was getting too close for comfort and she even snapped at it . We all liked this little nature moment. I guess today, for us was "just ducky" -- we had ducks in the pool with us in the morning and ducks on the beach with us at night. I took Cali to the bathroom on the other side of the bar/grill (don’t know what it’s called) by SAB which drew out my hankerin’ for something “grown-up” to sip on. But I didn’t have the “magic cards” to get anything. Again, I have to say that I was unimpressed. All the talk about how great SAB is. It just looked dingy to me and the deck area and pool looked crowded. By then, I was having such mixed feelings about DVC. I like the premise of it. I feel that the location of SSR is a drawback for us as MK and MGM are our key destinations (at least right now). I like the location of Boardwalk and Beach Club but they looked crowded and run-down compared to all the other resorts I’ve seen (from the outside grounds – not necessarily in the rooms) over the past year. These include: Pop, Poly, GF, WL, Contemporary.

We ended up heading back to Pop. JayJay fell asleep by 6:30 and slept until the next morning. I practiced more of my juggling abilities by trying to bring back 4 people’s worth of food on one tray for dinner. Joe watched tv and I can’t really remember what I did. I suppose I mentally mapped out Sunday’s adventures. We’d pretty much decided to upgrade our tix to non-expiring and not go in the park Monday or Tuesday. That meant Sunday was our last park day. I really wanted it to be a good day.

April 2005 WDW Trip Report: WDW w/4 Kids: 4/5/05-4/12/05 http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=794269

March 2007 Trip Report to DL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....275&highlight=
Old 04-16-2005, 09:50 AM   #2
Dooda
"...and I was like Whoa!"

I'm really enjoying your reports!!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2005, 10:56 AM   #3
minmate

Thanks Dooda! I'm glad to hear people are reading them! I would be sad to see them float off into oblivion, too quickly that is.

April 2005 WDW Trip Report: WDW w/4 Kids: 4/5/05-4/12/05 http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=794269

March 2007 Trip Report to DL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....275&highlight=
Old 04-17-2005, 07:43 PM   #4
DizChick05
Mouseketeer

I really Enjoy your reports!!!!!! I understand the SAB thing. It always looks dingy at first and in the afternoon. It is frusterating because you see a slide but you cant find where it starts or ends! I get overwhelmed when I look at the maps because it seems so big and confusing and you see all those slides and you sayt to your self Lets Do It!!!! But then you actually get into the thing and you are like, Where is this again? How do I get out? and feel like just giving up! I can understand it for like a relaxing swim wacthing illuminations for one-on-one time with a kid that has had a rough day, but not for mid-day swim!!

Have a magical day!!
Old 04-17-2005, 11:23 PM   #5
minmate

I've never been to SAB to actually use it, but I can totally see why pool-hopping is discouraged there. It was already so crowded. I don't think I'd feel very relaxed there chasing the four kiddos around... at least not until they're older.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:04 PM   #6
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

Another good day for y'all!

I just saw this picture and I'm not sure what day it accompanies, but I cracked up looking at JayJay in the background. She's giving the evil eye to someone!

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
Old 04-20-2005, 12:14 PM   #7
minmate

sometimes the background of pics can be funnier than the foreground, eh?

Old 04-20-2005, 12:15 PM   #8
minmate

sometimes the background of pics can be funnier than the foreground, eh? That pic was taken I believe before our great evening at MGM.

Old 04-20-2005, 02:26 PM   #9
jzmom
Mouseketeer

I am really enjoying your trip report. I have never been to WDW, but to Disneyland numerous times. We are planning on going in Feb. 2006 and also staying at Pop. I can totally relate to the bathroom thing. My DD 4 has to stop at every bathroom. She is especially fond of gas station bathrooms.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:08 AM   #10
minmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzmom
I am really enjoying your trip report. I have never been to WDW, but to Disneyland numerous times. We are planning on going in Feb. 2006 and also staying at Pop. I can totally relate to the bathroom thing. My DD 4 has to stop at every bathroom. She is especially fond of gas station bathrooms.

I hope you have a super time in Feb. What I noticed (as a Disneyland vet) is that I could very easily navigate MK, but at times, I felt disoriented as there are a few things in different places. Plus MK, on the whole is bigger than DL.

Old 04-21-2005, 11:22 AM   #11
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

Your 2 yr old Jayjay reminds me very much of my very independent 2 yr old ds Colby. He is also an avid swimmer (with water wings on). He hasn't allowed me to catch him since last year. A one year old jumping into the pool alone and going underwater seems to scare a lot of people, but he really enjoys it. I too was a lifeguard and swim instructer and encourage him loving the water. I always keep a close eye on him, but hands off, unless I'm throwing him in the air and letting him drop into the water. LoL. Great report.

Deb
Old 04-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #12
minmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3princes
Your 2 yr old Jayjay reminds me very much of my very independent 2 yr old ds Colby. He is also an avid swimmer (with water wings on). He hasn't allowed me to catch him since last year. A one year old jumping into the pool alone and going underwater seems to scare a lot of people, but he really enjoys it. I too was a lifeguard and swim instructer and encourage him loving the water. I always keep a close eye on him, but hands off, unless I'm throwing him in the air and letting him drop into the water. LoL. Great report.

Boy, Colby and JayJay should meet... at a pool. They'd have a grand ol' time and we could freak out all the other pool-goers!

Old 04-21-2005, 02:17 PM   #13
my3princes
Looking for a milestone to claim
I'm beginning to think I'm the invisible DISer (but Disney sure noticed you!)

Minmate. I have 2 older boys too. They are 7 and 9. I bet we could drive ourselves and a lot of other people crazy if we got the 7 of them together.

Deb
Old 04-22-2005, 09:41 AM   #14
minmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3princes
Minmate. I have 2 older boys too. They are 7 and 9. I bet we could drive ourselves and a lot of other people crazy if we got the 7 of them together.
Hey, wherever we go, WE BRING THE PARTY, right? lol...

Old 04-27-2005, 11:55 AM   #15
PratersloveDW

"Some day my prince will come..."

Oh wait...he DID and I MARRIED HIM!!!

Thanks again for sharing your reports. I am really enjoying reading them!

BOO!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: