Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2005, 06:44 PM   #1
minmate
I can show you the world... Don't you dare close your eyes!
I mostly just like the pretty colors

MINMATE'S Trip Report: Day 3 (Pt.2) Don't Rain On My Parade!

MINMATE’S Trip Report: Pre-trip Drama… I think I’m Gonna Be sick… http://www.disboards.com/showthread....95#post8284795
MINMATE’S Trip Report: (Day 1) I Need A Vacation! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....21#post8284821
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.1) Lions & Tarzan & Mickey, Oh My! http://www.disboards.com/showthread....35#post8288435
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.2) Visiting WDW-One Potty At A Time! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792642
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 2 (Pt.3) Magic Kingdom Nirvana
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....61#post8301761
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 3 (PT 1) POOL Is One Letter Short of POO!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792687
MINMATE’S Trip Report: Day 3 (PT 2) Don’t Rain On My Parade!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=792750

ME (minmate)
DH -- Joe
DD6 – Cali
DD5 – Meg
DS4 – Buddy
DD2 – Jay Jay
4/5-4/12 – 7 nights at Pop Century

THURS EVE 4/7
The Ep-ri-cot… er… Epcot bus took longer than most we’ve experienced thus far – like a whole HALF AND HOUR. Again, Line-waiting snob here… probably only 15 minutes. By 3:30 we inside the turnstiles with two double strollers heading to the Living Seas. I was determined to see Turtle Talks and find some live sea turtles. Why? Because Cali, my kindergartener, had just done her very first oral presentation and Educational Fair Project at school on sea turtles. She had done the report on Monday, the day before we left for our trip and the fair where her work would be displayed, along with the rest of the school’s was to be the day after we returned (Wed 4/13). I thought this to be a great, fun tie in. We took the strollers all the way into Living Seas on the elevators (or Aqua-whatevers… I forget what they’re called). It seemed like doing the LS was such an ordeal. It was big and we’d never been here before (that I remembered) other than eating at Coral Reef. I didn’t have a lot of info on it and for the first time, I felt an inkling of what it must feel like to be “not in-the-know” about WDW. I didn’t care for it. We get in about a 15 minute line for Turtle Talk, which Buddy again announces takes a HALF AND HOUR… thank you Father Time. We get in the front row and Cali, Meg and JayJay are happy to sit up front. Buddy needles about at my ankles, suddenly showing an atypical shy side. Finally, he joins the gang up front. Crush is cool and funny! He interacts great with the kids. I cross my fingers, hoping and praying that Crush will call on Cali. I know she’d have good questions for him. She and I worked on her project together and we knew all the answers he was giving about turtles, like what they eat, laying their eggs, how fast they swim, etc. It was really a funny feeling because literally two weeks before I wouldn’t have known any of that stuff… until the project. Well, Crush calls on the boy in the green striped shirt. The “host” almost goes to the wrong kid and Crush gets him to make his way over to the right kid… yup… to (not Cali, but) Buddy. Crush asks him his name to which he clearly replies. Then he asks him what his question is… uh…. Nothing comes out of Buddy’s mouth. He starts squirming back to me, and I’m about to feed him a question but Crush suggests they play a game, “Close your eyes ‘Buddy’ and I’ll guess what your favorite food is…” Buddy closes his eyes. “Wait, um, no, hold on, I’m getting something… Buddy likes the chicken nuggets!” Crush replies. How did he know that?! Had he eaten so many chicken nuggets he’d turned into one? Did he have crumbs on his shirt? Too funny! After this highly entertaining show, I asked Cali if she was disappointed she didn’t get called on. “No, I’m just happy Buddy got called on!” Wow! Very nice sweetie!

So, we spent some time trying to find live sea turtles. We never found them, but we visited the bathroom a couple times, rode the escalator, saw some manta rays, Nemo and friends, climbed into the belly of a shark and did other cool stuff and oh yeah, the dolphin do some tricks up close! Cool! We said we’d try to come back again later in the trip, but I knew in my heart we likely wouldn’t. We would have really liked to catch Turtle Talks one more time.

We asked about Soarin’ but no luck. We walked onto Figment and the kids loved it (except for the skunk smell). By then, we cruised through Imageworks and made our way to Le Cellier for our 5:30 PS. There were lots of topiaries around, I’m assuming for the upcoming Flower and Garden Festival. That was quite a treat. We got some pics with the likes of Bambi and Friends, Tinkerbell, Lion King pals, Beauty and the Beast gang – all in topiary form. I admired the beautiful butterfly shapes out of colorful flowers that lined the mounds near the water.

We were early for our PS and had about a HALF AND HOUR (ok, 15 minute) wait on our hands. At this point, my dad called and said his plans to meet us for the weekend had materialized. I stepped outside the restaurant and we chatted about logistics. When I came back in, Joe spilled the beans to the kids that Grandpa was coming out tomorrow! I was going to try to keep it a surprise but oh well. They were excited. By now, we were seated and treated to a scrumptious dinner. I had the special, steak filet and lobster, yum! Joe had prime rib. I had scallops for appetizer and he (and Buddy who ate a lot of it) had the cheese selection appetizer. The kids had their regular fare, hot dogs and such… and of course, Chicken Nuggets for Buddy! I loved their pretzel breadsticks and sourdough breadsticks! We visited the bathroom here a couple times too. It was nice… for a bathroom! It was also pretty busy in the restaurant. Joe had wished we could go here alone sometime. In a few years, that could happen. JayJay’s not old enough to leave in a children’s club, although by now, it should be pretty obvious, she’d do fine. It did take awhile for our food and so I took the kids outside while Joe finished with the bill and selected desserts that we could take with us and munch on later. We were able to use the Dining Plan for just Joe and I and pay out-of-pocket for the kids’ meals. Later, we learned our server, Tara, only charged us 2 Dining Plan points, instead of 4. It should have been 4 because Le Cellier is considered a signature dining experience. We also ordered fairly expensive meals there! We ended up being able to use the points for a meal later in the week at Chef Mickey’s!

It had begun to rain. It wasn’t actually raining when we got outside. It was sunny, but our strollers were damp. Score one for mom. I simply untied my lime green banadannas from the stroller handles (this is how we distinguish which strollers are ours. It comes in very handy… EMH night at MK our strollers got moved and had it not been for those bandannas we’d have had a tough time finding our strollers. As it was, we simply scanned the strollers for the bandannas and found them). The kids busied themselves drying off their seats. All was fine. We broke out the rain gear and headed on our way to Spaceship Earth. Nice and relaxing. I enjoyed watching JayJay and Meg sit in front of me. Meg was so protective and doting on JayJay, explaining things, pointing them out and holding her hand. Next on the agenda was Mission: Space. Cali, Meg and I rode it. Meg was a bit neurotic about her “position.” She was nervous about “messing up.” When we’d hit a ‘snafu’ she’d ask in a panic, “Did I do that momma?” Poor thing! I tried to reassure her she didn’t. We were fine. I think she liked it but wasn’t too sure about it. I was proud of her for trying it. It was raining now (not hard though) and Joe and I broke out our ponchos too. It dark now and as we walked to the World Showcase bridge there were a few claps of thunder. The park was emptying out considerably. Fine by us. We got our bracelets at the WS breezeway. Here they insisted JayJay get a bracelet too. We then headed over to El Rio and walked right on. It was nice and Buddy was happy it wasn’t a fast ride… or a super fast ride or a fast AND slow ride, but just a slow ride. He decided early on he liked Pirates better. But it was nice nonetheless. As I reached for the camera bag to take a picture, I couldn’t find it. “That just made this ride a whole lot less fun!” Joe said. We couldn’t get off the ride fast enough. I was sure I’d left it on the strollers but I couldn’t remember seeing it there. I dashed back to the strollers found the camera snapped safely under the canvas cover of the stroller and went back in to find the gang. They were nowhere to be found. I couldn’t get my phone to work. Finally, we made contact. They were back at the strollers waiting for me. We’d crossed paths. Okay, everything is fine now! Outside, more thunder and even some lightning and rain. Still, we weren’t to be deterred. We walked right onto Maelstrom. I hadn’t been on this before so I assured Buddy it was a slow, or maybe a slow and fast ride but not too bad. Knowing his nature, I didn’t think he’d freak, but he did. He did NOT like that the ride spun around backwards. He said it was too fast! What? The rest of us liked it though!

By now, the ride was practically cleared out. The rails weren’t even full for IllumiNations yet and it was about 8:40. We found a spot right there in Norway. The ground was dry enough to sit on so I parked the strollers against the railing and sat down between them while I sent Joe off in search of snacks. Why oh why do I do this to myself? He couldn’t find a place to take the dining plan snack points and ended up paying out of pocket for churros. He had trouble finding us again… yada, yada… Meanwhile, as I sat with the four kids waiting, Buddy said he had to go potty. So, I led my four little ducklings to the bathroom by the Norway Viking Ship. Everyone went to the bathroom… except JayJay. She threw a major fit when I tried to force the issue. Okay… fine, don’t go then. We weave our way back to our spot. My patience was wearing thin ever since Maelstrom. Buddy was hitting a wall and stepped it up a notch to incessant whining. Nobody was satisfied. They were whining about being cold, tired, etc. It was five minutes to IllumiNations and I just wanted to watch it. I had never seen it from inside the park. Every time we tried it didn’t work out. I was so close. I was being selfish but I just couldn’t help it. I wanted to see it. We were there. Couldn’t they just sit there, cuddle up, get along, behave and give me 20 minutes more in the park? It’s now about 5-10 minutes since we visited the bathroom and Meg peeks out of her stroller timidly saying, “JayJay pee’d her pants I think.” Sure enough… she did! Come on! We were just at the bathroom! I was so mad and JayJay knew it. Even though I was mad, I simultaneously felt my heart breaking because the look on JayJay’s face was so pitiful. Buddy was out in full force… whining and squirming. No way to get them all to the bathroom. Just as this all happens, Joe returns, feeling accomplished at getting snacks. I am enraged, frustrated and totally disappointed… in my kids behaviors. I had scheduled time for rest and naps but they refused to lay down. I was mad. I know sometimes things are beyond our control but I was so frustrated. I felt I’d spent as much time dealing with prima donna ungrateful attitudes as having fun. Here, we bend over backwards, work hard to take a nice vacation and they don’t appreciate the time here enough to make an extra effort to behave and get along. It was obvious by now that EMH tonight was a no-go. We watch IllumiNations but I’m resentful and feeling like my kids stole the joy out of the whole experience. We leave and there’s two mass exoduses going one… one toward TT and M:S and the other toward the exit. Buddy fell asleep in the stroller so when we had to give it up to go to the busses he was a complete nightmare. All three kids start bickering, whining and refusing to cooperate, move, etc. I’m so frustrated and say, “I’ve just had enough. This is not the kind of vacation I wanted for us. You guys are breaking my heart. I’m done and I’m leaving.” I snatch up JayJay turn on my heel and walk away from my family. Poor Joe, I just left him there with those awful kids. Buddy was screeching… “Don’t leave me! I wanna go with you momeeeeee!” Well, it was mean, but it got them moving. I finally stopped walking and waited for them. I apologized to Joe and Buddy is crying and whining that he’s trying to do his best for me. He starts crying that his ear hurts. He’d been complaining about it the week before we left. I’d had him checked out and he was cleared. We had meds for him to be safe in case something developed. There was practically no line for the bus for Pop. Of course there wasn’t – anyone who’d weathered the weather (heehee) was surely going to stay for EMH. On the bus everyone is exhausted and totally wiped out. Buddy starts crying and whining that he doesn’t want to go to Pop, he wants to go home, to his real home. I cannot describe the heartwrenching zing I felt. It was as if someone slapped me in the face so many times I knew it hurt, but I couldn’t feel the pain anymore. I knew it was there, I just felt numb. I felt the blood drain from my body. My feet were heavy, like lead balloons… I was sad. We walk in silence and disappointed by how tonight spiraled so quickly out of control.

While Joe began to ready the kids for bed I had an epiphany. We were ON vacation. It may not get any better than this. That was a depressing thought. I sat in the bathroom and decided, I could let their behavior rule my heart, or I could let my heart rule my attitude. In hushed tones, Joe and I talked about this, how it was our vacation too and if they weren’t going to appreciate it, I wasn’t going to bend over backwards to make it so special for them. I was taking back my vacation and I intended to tell them just that.

I went in to tuck them in bed. I told them they had four days to prove they deserve family vacations and special time. I was heartbroken. They knew it. I told them that if they continued down this path of whining, bickering, fighting with each other and generally acting like spoiled little brats and lack of cooperating that there would be no more family vacations. As much as I wanted them with me, I felt I’d given them ample opportunity to rest, ample opportunity to make choices about the trip and they were not cooperating. If that’s what they chose, they would have to stay home. Joe and I would take vacations on our own if we had to. I felt bad for being tough on them, but I had to reclaim my vacation. I felt simultaneously upset and guilt-ridden… something, as a mother of four close in age (at least me) often feels. The joys of my children are so intense, but the frustrations and difficulties are so much lower too. I just wanted everyone to get along. They didn’t have to LIKE everything and everyone but I just didn’t want them to whine and lash out at each other and me over every last gosh darn sprinkle on this ice cream sundae of a trip.

I kissed them all and said, “Let’s close our eyes and when we wake up tomorrow it will be a fresh, clean new day. It will be a Magic Kingdom day. Dream of making some happy memories. Mommy loves you.”

April 2005 WDW Trip Report: WDW w/4 Kids: 4/5/05-4/12/05 http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=794269

March 2007 Trip Report to DL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....275&highlight=

Last edited by minmate; 04-15-2005 at 07:02 PM.
Old 04-15-2005, 09:15 PM   #2
krismom
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.

Awwwwwww

Oh, do I know how you felt. Been there many times. Motherhood is relentless in its joys and its sorrows. You are a great Mom- it's hard sometimes to make the reality as great as the fantasy vacation we planned. I sure hope your pep talk worked, more for your sake than theirs!

Waiting patiently for day 5!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #3
Bev J
DIS Veteran

loving your report so far, looking forward to the rest.
I can so relate to your frustrations, last trip our then 6 year old said at every ride," I am not going to ride it and you can't make me!" We are going in June and the kids are staying with grandma!!
Kudos to you and your hubby for being brave enough to take them all at their ages!

Bev
Old 04-15-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
froggieos1
Earning My Ears

I can so see this being us next month. I love reading your story for insight for our trip.

Ondy
Old 04-16-2005, 07:51 AM   #5
lUVTOGO
Born To Run

I have 2 girls close in age and the fighting, bickering, she gets everything drama is right here at home also. You are doing great! I love your realistic trip reports! And your a great mom for braving a trip with 4 little ones!!! And Dad too!!

Maryann
Orange Lakes/ HRH Club November 2003
Port Orleans Riverside July 2004
Disney Magic Western Nov 2004
POR August 2005
Polynesian Concierge Nov2005
Disney Magic Eastern Oct 28 2006
WDW Nov 2007 PC
Old 04-16-2005, 09:01 AM   #6
wicket2005
Hasn't got a clue what a tag is
Christmassyfyed, yes I have had a glass of wine judging by that spelling

Really felt for you on this report, it was a hard day. It will get easier and you are doing a good job.

1996, 1998, 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008x2, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014
Old 04-16-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
minmate

Thanks for all the comments! I appreciate hearing them SO much!

April 2005 WDW Trip Report: WDW w/4 Kids: 4/5/05-4/12/05 http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=794269

March 2007 Trip Report to DL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread....275&highlight=
Old 04-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #8
LuvindisCruiser
DIS Veteran

Good For You !
You re-claim your vacation, you and your hubby put those kids in one of the kids clubs, and you two enjoy one of the parks all by YOURSELVES !!

O.K., I was just frustrated too !, I just had to vent !!

Now, I took a few deep breathes, and am all better, and eager to hear how your children have changed their attitudes, and are going to give mommy the vacation of her life !!!

(DH) (ME, can't stay off DIS) (DD13) (DS13)Pixie
Our 10yr. old twins take on the World for Spring Break-2010
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2424485
Old 04-16-2005, 09:47 PM   #9
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for posting and sharing. I also have 4 kids, they are almost all grown up. But I always said, "someone is always unhappy" and like you I had enough. I told them they might not like what we are doing on that particular day of our vacation, but someone in the group may be having the time of their life. So if you decide you may not like what you are doing, take a look at everyone first-and to think long and hard before you gripe or complain.

It did work, because now that my kids are older they talk all the time about our family vacations. I think me and my husband took one vacation without the kids and it was a vacation he won thru work. We haven't taken a vacation in a while because as I say, My kids college are my vacation for now.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:54 PM   #10
sters
Enjoys visiting resorts at WDW
Likes the idea of getting the boat with a catered dinner

I felt your pain! It can be so hard. I sure hope the next day is better! Can't wait to read more. (By the way, the every 5-minute potty break was something I was sooooo unprepared for on our last trip.)
Old 04-17-2005, 07:52 AM   #11
minmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvindisCruiser
Good For You !
You re-claim your vacation, you and your hubby put those kids in one of the kids clubs, and you two enjoy one of the parks all by YOURSELVES !!

O.K., I was just frustrated too !, I just had to vent !!

Now, I took a few deep breathes, and am all better, and eager to hear how your children have changed their attitudes, and are going to give mommy the vacation of her life !!!
Well, since our youngest is 2, she's not old enough to be in a kid's club, but dh and I shared a funny moment when we saw the "additional in-room babysitting services" number come up on the tv! We seriously contemplated it had things continued to go like today!

Old 04-17-2005, 07:52 AM   #12
minmate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari
Thanks for posting and sharing. I also have 4 kids, they are almost all grown up. But I always said, "someone is always unhappy" and like you I had enough. I told them they might not like what we are doing on that particular day of our vacation, but someone in the group may be having the time of their life. So if you decide you may not like what you are doing, take a look at everyone first-and to think long and hard before you gripe or complain.

It did work, because now that my kids are older they talk all the time about our family vacations. I think me and my husband took one vacation without the kids and it was a vacation he won thru work. We haven't taken a vacation in a while because as I say, My kids college are my vacation for now.

great idea!
Also, college being your vaca... lol!

Old 04-17-2005, 08:07 AM   #13
sarahsmom73

DIS Veteran

Hey!! We were in EPCOT during the downpour!!! No.. let me rephrase that.. We had just put our tickets through when the downpour happened!!!!

It is so hard when you have the "perfect trip" you want to give your kids and in reality, what is perfect?!!!

3/89 ~ Contemporary (1st trip ever)4/90 ~ Off site,4/04 ~Easter at the Dolphin,4/05~ POP DD and Mommy trip!11/05 ~ Thanksgiving at POP!!!11/07 Thanksgiving at the Dolphin!Our 1st cruise Double Dip at CC 8/08, 4/09 ~ BWI Surprise trip with all of us!!,3/10 Gi-gi's Redo at the Swan, 6/12 DCL 8nt NYC

Old 04-17-2005, 08:14 AM   #14
minmate

Yes, the downpour didn't seem that bad -- we've been caught in worse in FL -- but it sure cleared out the park. There were all the makings for another great night, but it just wasn't happening for us. Thankfully, we returned to Epcot to try and redeem our happy memories of the place.

Old 04-20-2005, 12:36 PM   #15
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

I've very much enjoying your trip reports. Even though DH and I are newly married and child-free, I like reading reports with children because I can prepare myself for what's to come. I anticipate children getting tired, cranky and smart-alecky, but never so many accidents! This is the third TR read recently that had normally potty-trained kids having issues. Bless your heart...just when you think you've conquered one more step in child-rearing, they regress. Is it the overstimulation?

And good for you in taking charge again...I imagine it's hard. I hope the next day turns out wonderful! I'm going to read it now.

P/S I look at pictures as I read and your children are just adorable. Gorgeous!

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: