Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2005, 08:37 AM   #1
chrisnjilly
Planning is not vital – it is more important than that!

Carousel Inn Report

There have been a number of requests for reports on the Carousel Inn and here is our promised report following our visit at the beginning of the month.

We feel we should start with the summary for those who don’t wish to read through the details below. Overall we felt that the hotel was ideally placed (our walk to the parks was shorter than from many of the rooms in the Disney “on site” properties) offered good service and free buffet breakfast of fair quality in the excellent breakfast room overlooking the park entrance area. Our 3 room + bathroom suite offered good value at $149 per night plus tax.

However we do have some detailed comments that you should be aware of if booking a “View” suite as we did.

The room was not available until 3.30 on the day of our arrival. On moving in we found that, although the general layout was the same as we expected with 3 queen beds each in a separate room there was one significant difference to the room shown in virtual views on the hotel web site. The large sitting/dining area that formed part of the master bedroom was surrounded by windows that did give a great view towards the park but the view was somewhat blocked by the trees that line the road. More importantly the wall under the windows was about three and a half feet high, so that when sitting the only view out of the windows was sky! The room shown on the web site had a much lower wall and so I went to the front desk to tell them we were disappointed with the room and why. The duty manager at first denied being aware of any difference between the view suites but I turned on the charm (as usual much more effective than getting cross) and he agreed to move us to the top room for the remaining 2 nights of the stay. He did warn us that the room we were asking for was right under the breakfast room and we could expect some noise from above starting at 6 am.

Complaining about our first room (#200) proved to be well worthwhile as the new room (#400) was exactly what we had hoped for with a much lower wall under the panoramic windows. It was also generally better furnished with a full marble bathroom. There were excellent views (while sitting) over the trees with the Matterhorn to the right and TOT to the left. McDonalds was almost next door and eating in the room while looking out at the lights of the park turned even a take away meal into a great experience. Though there were no fireworks during our stay we did see some testing after the parks had closed, the view of the full show from that room would have been quite amazing!

The noise from the breakfast room was not a problem for us as we were up early every day but the rooms did have a more general noise problem. This was inevitable to some extent being on the street but in addition the rooms were both right by the elevator shaft and the whirring noise was very noticeable when trying to sleep. Fortunately earplugs proved to be the answer to all sources of noise and our stay was not spoiled by this issue.

Despite the problems we had we would still be happy to recommend the Carousel Inn but do ask for room 400 when booking a view suite!
5/88 WDW Buena Vista Palace
10/89 WDW Off site
11/92 WDW Off site
9/94 DLP Santa Fe
5/03 WDW Off site
4/05 DL Carousel Inn
chrisnjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home
Birthdays are for kids of all ages
I have always been a big Kermit the Frog Fan

How was the room in term of comfort of the beds & pillow, cleanliness. Any troubles with air or heat?
disneychrista is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2005, 09:21 AM   #3
chrisnjilly
Planning is not vital – it is more important than that!

Beds were fine and so were the pillows. There were also lots of large bath towels, 8-10 in the room for 6 people and quite thick too, better than the average thin motel type. Cleanliness was satisfactory, that is that we did not notice any problems.

Can’t comment much on the air/heat. We were lucky to have nice temperate weather during our stay and didn’t think about the aircon - we suspect it was off. It was the type with a control panel on the wall as in large hotel rather that a unit fitted to the window.

Hope that helps.
5/88 WDW Buena Vista Palace
10/89 WDW Off site
11/92 WDW Off site
9/94 DLP Santa Fe
5/03 WDW Off site
4/05 DL Carousel Inn
chrisnjilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 12:23 PM   #4
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home

Thanks. We are staying in a two bed/two bath suite when we go in July. And I am always worried about the beds. I swear once I find a hotel that has really good beds, I will stay there cost no object
Old 04-16-2005, 02:08 PM   #5
minnieandmickey
Queen of the run on sentence!

Thanks for your review. I just booked what may be the same room as I got the "warning" that it was under the breakfast area. Looking forward to the view! They did have a virtual tour online and the room looks great!
My life at Disney: DL - started in 1978 too many times to count. First time AP holder in 2012, spent a total of 14 days! WDW- 10th anniversary- May 1999(Dixie Landings), 2005(off site),2006(POP/POFQ),2007(WLV),2008(AKV),2011(OKW) DCL- 3 day Bahamas Wonder 2002, 4 Day Bahamas Wonder 2006, 7 day Western Caribbean Magic 2007, 20 days on the Magic 2008, B2B Panama Canal and 5 day double dip, Sarah's gradapalooza 4 day Bahamas on the Dream and 7 Day Eastern Caribbean on the Magic 2011, DLP, October 2013
Up next Best Aunt and Uncle WDW/DCL, taking DNiece on her first trip! November 2014, Miami Western Caribbean October 2015 B2B Fantasy KK Reunion Cruise, Eastern Caribbean, October 2015
minnieandmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:56 PM   #6
geffric
DH thinks I'm funny -- but I tell him it's like a hobby!
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework
I have LOTS of really nice Disney loving friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneychrista
Thanks. We are staying in a two bed/two bath suite when we go in July. And I am always worried about the beds.
and the cleanliness too...

Hey disneychrista when are you going in July we are there July 1 -11...

geffric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:57 PM   #7
disneychrista
BL6 Red Team Captain
Disneyland is my Home

We'll be there the 15 - 19, looks like we will just miss each other
Old 06-07-2005, 09:39 AM   #8
dmand13
Earning My Ears

My mother and I are in the process of planning a trip to Disneyland. We've always gone to WDW (I've been there 6 times) and this will be the very first time in Disneyland.
AAA offered us a good package which includes staying at the Carousel Inn. I doubt that it's the suites though, probably the standard room. Any idea on the standard rooms? How they are?

1984-Contemporary/Polynesian Resorts
1987-Polynesian Resort
1989-Grand Floridian Resort
1992-Polynesian Resort
1999-Beach Club Resort
2004-Boardwalk Villas

Going to Disneyland for the first time ever on August 8th!!
dmand13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:16 AM   #9
vascubaguy
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
I can still remember taking that pic of the queen

I reserved a "deluxe" room for our b-day trip in October. Anyone have any experience with those?
WDW Offsite: 05/1994, 12/2003, DL Offsite: 08/2004, WDW ADMo: 05/2005, DL Anabella: 10/2005, WDW BWV: 03/2006, WDW POR: 04/2006, WDW OKW: 10/2006, WDW SSR: 12/2006-1/2007, 10/2007, 11/2008, DL Hotel: 04/2008, WDW AKV: 06/2009, 11/2010, 5/2011, 9/2014, WDW BLT: 10/2009, 11/2013

vascubaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 02:40 PM   #10
got2travel
Disney lover
Waking Tink's a special treat

I love the Carousel and try to stay there on each trip. Unfortunately everyone else likes them too, and they tend to fill up quickly.

The standard/deluxe rooms are your typical hotel room and unfortunately not overly spacious. But you do have 2 queens or 1 king with a pull out sofabed, microwave, refrigerator, desk or table with 2 chairs, a vanity separate from the toilet and shower. The furnishings are a dark wood and sort of a victorian feel. The windows have shutters instead of drapes or blinds. The beds have always been comfortable, but the pillows could use some upgrading. We prefer to stay in one of the rooms that are located opposite the parkingl ot from the main building. I can't remember the room numbers, but there are about 10 rooms upstairs with carport parking below. We've found that these rooms are slightly larger than the others.

We usually arrive early in the morning, and do not expect our rooms to be ready. But they will let you pre-register, give you a parking pass if needed, and will hold your bags while you head into the parks.

Next: Oct '14 WDW / Jan '15 DCL B2B Caribbean
Past:Mar '14 DL / Jan '14 DL / Dec '13 DL / Jun '13 DL / Oct '12 DL then WDW / Jun '12 WDW & DCL Fantasy / Mar '12 DL / Dec '11 WDW / Mar '11 DCL Dream / Jan '11 DCL Wonder / Oct '10 DL / Sep '10 DCL WBTA / Apr '10 DL / Mar '10 DL / Jan '10 DL / Sept '09 DL / Mar '09 DL & Club 33 / Feb '09 / Nov '08 / Aug '08 DL & DCL PC Repo / Mar '08 DL / Aug '07 DL Paris-DCL Med Repo / May '07 AWE Red Carpet at DL / Apr '07 DL B-day trip / Nov '06 DL / Oct '06 DL / Aug '06 DL / June '06 WDW / Jan '06 DL / Nov '05 DL Tokyo / Oct '05 DL / July '05 DL / May '05 DL / Feb '05 1 day DL solo / Jan '05 DL / Dec '04 WDW / Oct '04 DL / June '04 DL (2 separate weekends) / April '04 DL & Club 33) / Jan '04 DL / Nov '03 DL / Oct '03 WDW / Aug '03 DL / Jun '03 DL / Apr '03 DL / Jan '03 DL.....many more DL visits, too numerous to list
got2travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 08:48 PM   #11
geffric
I found myself checking for new posting while I am at work, at home, doing homework

We just got back and stayed in the 2 bedroom, 2 bath room. It wasn't a view suite so it was in the middle of the row of rooms. We were in 325. The beds were fine, the pillows were very fluffy and large. There weas a refrig, good size, and a small microwave. The breakfast was sweet rolls and muffins, apples, organges, OJ, Apple juice, hot water, coffee. Also there was some oatmeal but no milk. We found the rooms to be clean, no extra hair or bugs. The staff was very nice and very helpful. We would stay there again.

Old 07-12-2005, 09:02 PM   #12
CdnDisneyFan
Tigger, he is oh so cute!
Talk about the Disney spirit!!

Just wondering, how much did you pay a night for the view suite? My friend and I are considering the Clarion for roughly $113 a night (after rate hike in the middle of the week - we're there Sept 17-24), and if we can get a suite for that or a tad more, that would be great!!

Thanks

Jules

WDW too many times to mention all offsite.
11-02 ASMO, first time onsite!!
Sept 17-24 2005, Candy Cane Inn
Nov 15-22, 2010 Pop Century with my bestest friend to celebrate my birthday and her unbirthday, and with free dining too, how can we complain!
CdnDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 09:07 PM   #13
geffric

we did not have the view suite just a 2 bedroom, 2 bath and paid $ 139. It is very close and easy walking distance. Pkus next to McD, and Mimi's - which we recommend

Old 07-13-2005, 12:09 AM   #14
Mom2Joce
It all started with a...

You mentioned that you were in room 325. Do you remember how far back you were? And do you remember how the numbers went? I was hoping to get a room that was closer to Harbor.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #15
dsnylndmom
Disneyland Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdnDisneyFan
Just wondering, how much did you pay a night for the view suite? My friend and I are considering the Clarion for roughly $113 a night (after rate hike in the middle of the week - we're there Sept 17-24), and if we can get a suite for that or a tad more, that would be great!!

Thanks

Jules
Stay away from the Clarion!!!
We stayed there in June on a quick one day trip and won't ever do it again!! The stuffing for the sofabed was literally falling out, the water was murkey realllly murkey and the beds were HORRIBLE>

Never again!
dsnylndmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: