Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Weddings and Honeymoons
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #1
TiffinyKaye
Mouseketeer

Getting In Shape?

I was kind of curious--is anyone trying to work out and get in shape for their Disney wedding? What is everyone doing (if anything)?

My sister and I have started doing treadmill runs in the evening after work, and DF and I joined a rock climbing gym that we plan on hitting a few times a week. The hope is that between the cardio and the rock wall climbing...I should be able to lose weight and gain muscle pretty nicely before the big day. I'm also TRYING to eat better...but I think I love my sweets a lot more than I should.

Anyone else working on it? What are you doing?

My first fitting is this Friday...it'll be scary! LOL!

Tiffiny
TiffinyKaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:30 PM   #2
Seia
Mouseketeer

I was a runner already, but I've been trying to incorporate some weight training once or twice a week since my dress is strapless and I need to tone up my arms! I've found a few DVDs that I really like. Your rock climbing sounds like a fun way to get exercise!

I also have really made a conscious effort to eat better and keep track of everything in MyFitness Pal! I'm down 8 pounds do far, but I still have 15 more to get where I'd really like to be for the wedding.
Register to remove

Old 07-29-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
Boardwalk Love
DISing since 2001

Two years ago I started a weight-loss journey and ended up going from 165 lbs to 125 lbs in about a year... I have always been into cardio, but I made a very conscious effort to eat right and lift weights. I had always been terrified of lifting weights and not knowing what I was doing! I hired a personal trainer and that gave me the confidence AND someone to keep me on track.

In the last year, I was in a one-year Masters program, which means I had a lot less time, a lot less movement (writing papers, sitting around) and no money. I didn't gain a pound according to the scale, but my body composition (muscle tone, inches) has changed significantly and I just don't "feel" awesome like I used to.

I'm investing in a trainer again, for at least a few months to get me back on track. My biggest problem is that I just don't know what to do, or how to do it safely. I enjoy running, and that's fairly easy to figure out, but the results are nothing compared to lifting weights in my opinion. Once I built up some muscle (maybe 2-3 months of work) the weight started falling off. I ate a TON of (healthier) food and was still shedding pounds like crazy. I'd say I probably lost 5 pounds in the first 3 months and then 1-2 pounds a week for a good amount of time after that. And eating right played a huge role for me - it not only played into my weight loss, it also brightened my skin, strengthened my hair, gave me more energy, and allowed my body to power through those serious weight lifting sessions.

All of that being said, I'm not aiming to lose weight this time around. I just want to get back to feeling awesome about my body, and just starting to work on it again, regardless of end result, definitely does that for me. Feel free to PM me if you want my food breakdown... I'm on MyFitnessPal too (I swear that's what helped me lost 40 pounds last year!) and I have some food/fitness spreadsheets I've made and use . I also used Best Body Bootcamp for independent workouts. She stopped doing the "live" programs, but you can still buy them and do them on your own, and I think it's very cohesive and reasonably priced!
Boardwalk Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:06 PM   #4
BouncyTrouncyFlouncy
Earning My Ears

Adding some weights into your routing will help tone and shed fat. Nothing super heavy - actually less weight and more reps is better.

I swear by Jillian Michaels DVDs. She will kick your butt! I have her Ripped in 30 - it's only 20 minutes a day for 4 weeks (each week is a different routine), but that 20 minutes is intense!

I also really like Pilates. Gives you great core strength.

You can find tons of different workout videos on the BeFit channel on YouTube (including Jillian Michaels). It's a great site with something for everyone. You could find a different video for every day if you wanted.

HIIT workouts are good too (High Intensity Interval Training) - you do a workout move for like 30 seconds, then rest for 10 or 15 seconds, then another move, etc. It can be pretty intense depending on the workout.

My sister swears by yoga, especially "hot" yoga.
BouncyTrouncyFlouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 08:35 PM   #5
Seia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouncyTrouncyFlouncy View Post

I swear by Jillian Michaels DVDs. She will kick your butt! I have her Ripped in 30 - it's only 20 minutes a day for 4 weeks (each week is a different routine), but that 20 minutes is intense!
I second this. Especially her "No More Trouble Zones" DVD! It is the best workout DVD I've found for overall toning. It hits all of the common problem areas. When I was doing it twice a week in addition to my usual running, I could actually feel my abs for the first time in my life! LOL.
Old 07-29-2014, 08:52 PM   #6
TiffinyKaye
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seia View Post
I was a runner already, but I've been trying to incorporate some weight training once or twice a week since my dress is strapless and I need to tone up my arms! I've found a few DVDs that I really like. Your rock climbing sounds like a fun way to get exercise!

I also have really made a conscious effort to eat better and keep track of everything in MyFitness Pal! I'm down 8 pounds do far, but I still have 15 more to get where I'd really like to be for the wedding.
I have to say, I envy you! I don't mind running (but it's not my favorite exercise)--but I LOVE aerobics DVDs. I can't do them anymore. Almost three years ago, I had an accident at work where I literally just hit a guy really hard as I was coming out of the restroom. We were both walking pretty quickly...and the impact was enough to give me whiplash (per the doctor). I seemed to be recovering fine...so a year after, I decided to start exercising again using the Power 90 DVDs (I LOVE them). I had a pain like I never knew in my neck!

Go back to the doctor's...and the whiplash has turned into degenerative disc disease. I'm 30, gosh dangit! 30!!!! Any kind of high-impact exercise hurts...and the high-impact exercises are the ones that I love, and burn the most calories.

That's why I'm trying the rock climbing/walking thing. Rock climbing is definitely low-impact, and is like a workout in disguise. It's SUPER fun. And, no pain in my neck! That's the coolest thing. We've been four times thus far. While I can't see a difference in my arms yet...definitely can feel the burgeoning muscles! Also, the hope is that if I can build my back muscles a bit more, I might be able to build up the support in my back/neck to be able to go back and do high-impact exercises again without the pain.

The walking thing doesn't burn as much as running. I have found that if I walk at a decent speed (like 3.5 mph--slower than I'd like), I can still get a decent calorie burn if I increase the incline. So, I'm focusing my walking workouts on building the incline, rather than speed (like I used to do when I would run).

It sucks...but we do what we gotta do. And nutrition is SOOO important!!! I have to get better at it. Saying no to sweet things is SOOO hard for me.

And everyone who has mentioned Jillian Michaels' DVDs...YES. Before my injury, I'd do her a couple times a week (but primarily my Power 90 stuff, and other Beachbody exercises). She kicks your BUTT!!!!

Tiffiny
Old 07-29-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
TiffinyKaye
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardwalk Love View Post
Two years ago I started a weight-loss journey and ended up going from 165 lbs to 125 lbs in about a year... I have always been into cardio, but I made a very conscious effort to eat right and lift weights. I had always been terrified of lifting weights and not knowing what I was doing! I hired a personal trainer and that gave me the confidence AND someone to keep me on track.

In the last year, I was in a one-year Masters program, which means I had a lot less time, a lot less movement (writing papers, sitting around) and no money. I didn't gain a pound according to the scale, but my body composition (muscle tone, inches) has changed significantly and I just don't "feel" awesome like I used to.

I'm investing in a trainer again, for at least a few months to get me back on track. My biggest problem is that I just don't know what to do, or how to do it safely. I enjoy running, and that's fairly easy to figure out, but the results are nothing compared to lifting weights in my opinion. Once I built up some muscle (maybe 2-3 months of work) the weight started falling off. I ate a TON of (healthier) food and was still shedding pounds like crazy. I'd say I probably lost 5 pounds in the first 3 months and then 1-2 pounds a week for a good amount of time after that. And eating right played a huge role for me - it not only played into my weight loss, it also brightened my skin, strengthened my hair, gave me more energy, and allowed my body to power through those serious weight lifting sessions.

All of that being said, I'm not aiming to lose weight this time around. I just want to get back to feeling awesome about my body, and just starting to work on it again, regardless of end result, definitely does that for me. Feel free to PM me if you want my food breakdown... I'm on MyFitnessPal too (I swear that's what helped me lost 40 pounds last year!) and I have some food/fitness spreadsheets I've made and use . I also used Best Body Bootcamp for independent workouts. She stopped doing the "live" programs, but you can still buy them and do them on your own, and I think it's very cohesive and reasonably priced!
Everyone's suggestions are really great. I can't say enough about weight training.

A great resource I have used in the past is a book called "The Abs Diet for Women." It's mostly about proper nutrition (which is one of the most important components of weight loss), but has a pretty sizable section on weight training too. I recommend it!

Tiffiny
Old 07-30-2014, 12:26 AM   #8
BouncyTrouncyFlouncy
Earning My Ears

I would still check out the BeFit channel on YouTube. There are tons of low-impact workouts that are still really effective, and Pilates is very low impact.

You mentioned Beach Body workouts, this is one workout I follow along to, and there are plenty of others like this that are also longer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxMGdzy1hR0

This one is also very low impact
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmcLB9ObdOM

Seriously, search around on the site. Lots more pop up on the side as suggestions too.

This one's a pretty good one too. There might be a couple of moves you won't be able to do, but it still does the job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dd4d-e8sZ4

And walking burns more calories than you think. If you can do it outside though, it's much more effective than a treadmill. You're using your own muscles to propel yourself rather than keeping up with the belt.

I'm totally there with you on the eating habits. That's why I absolutely cannot buy certain things or else I will eat them all. Over the years, I have trained myself to eat vegetables (with hummus) and fruit instead of sweets and other bad foods, replaced mayonnaise a LONG time ago with mustard, I absolutely do not buy cheese because I love it too much, I get pretzels and low fat microwave popcorn instead of chips/flavored or buttered popcorn/cheez-its/etc. Of course, every once in a while I do indulge, otherwise I'd go crazy. And if I do have something "bad" in the house, I make it a point to make it last.

Good luck with everything
BouncyTrouncyFlouncy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 07:25 AM   #9
alyaki
Mouseketeer

Not really focusing on getting in better shape for the wedding, but I am working on getting in better shape for me. I do P90X - it's one of the few things that I've truly enjoyed, and I focus primarily on plyo, cardio, and kenpo (the last seems to be the lowest on impact), and I started adding in core, and will add chest/back soon. Right now, though, I'm stuck on break, since I screwed up my knees doing core on concrete with the pushups using knees (DF thinks I have splints, just have to stay off and wait for them to heal). I love it because it's not just a workout I actually enjoy, but it helps me control the hyperactivity part of my ADHD disorder, which is an unintended bonus!

Once I'm finished with having to be so focused on losing weight (while adding muscle), I'll probably start adding in more time swimming. I also really liked the Body Pump classes when I would go to the gym, but I don't really use a gym now since they're so far out of my way. I have a hard time actually following through when it's not something I just always pass on the way home.

Noticed you can't do the P90. But I think others have given some awesome advice. Also, like most, I've changed my eating habits a lot - I eat a lot healthier, and now I actually drink about 90oz of water daily, which actually helps a ton.
alyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:19 AM   #10
Seia
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffinyKaye View Post
I have to say, I envy you! I don't mind running (but it's not my favorite exercise)--but I LOVE aerobics DVDs. I can't do them anymore. Almost three years ago, I had an accident at work where I literally just hit a guy really hard as I was coming out of the restroom. We were both walking pretty quickly...and the impact was enough to give me whiplash (per the doctor). I seemed to be recovering fine...so a year after, I decided to start exercising again using the Power 90 DVDs (I LOVE them). I had a pain like I never knew in my neck!

Go back to the doctor's...and the whiplash has turned into degenerative disc disease. I'm 30, gosh dangit! 30!!!! Any kind of high-impact exercise hurts...and the high-impact exercises are the ones that I love, and burn the most calories.
I'm not sure if this would work with your injury, or if it's available where you are. My co-worker has bad knees and can't do high impact exercise, so she's started doing aqua zumba and really enjoys it. It looks pretty fun!
Old 07-30-2014, 08:21 AM   #11
TiffinyKaye
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BouncyTrouncyFlouncy View Post
I would still check out the BeFit channel on YouTube. There are tons of low-impact workouts that are still really effective, and Pilates is very low impact.

You mentioned Beach Body workouts, this is one workout I follow along to, and there are plenty of others like this that are also longer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxMGdzy1hR0

This one is also very low impact
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmcLB9ObdOM

Seriously, search around on the site. Lots more pop up on the side as suggestions too.

This one's a pretty good one too. There might be a couple of moves you won't be able to do, but it still does the job.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dd4d-e8sZ4

And walking burns more calories than you think. If you can do it outside though, it's much more effective than a treadmill. You're using your own muscles to propel yourself rather than keeping up with the belt.

I'm totally there with you on the eating habits. That's why I absolutely cannot buy certain things or else I will eat them all. Over the years, I have trained myself to eat vegetables (with hummus) and fruit instead of sweets and other bad foods, replaced mayonnaise a LONG time ago with mustard, I absolutely do not buy cheese because I love it too much, I get pretzels and low fat microwave popcorn instead of chips/flavored or buttered popcorn/cheez-its/etc. Of course, every once in a while I do indulge, otherwise I'd go crazy. And if I do have something "bad" in the house, I make it a point to make it last.

Good luck with everything

I will need to take a look at those videos. Thanks! I still wish I could do the Beachbody ones. Alyaki mentioned P90X...which is a program I've owned for a few years but have never attempted. I was going to this year...but it was just in January of this year that the DDD reared its ugly head. :/

While I'm trying to lose some weight, I think my primary goal at this point is to tone up--my arms especially. One of you and mentioned being in a strapless dress and wanting to tone for that reason. I'm in the same boat. I have always hated how my arms look...because, you know...bat wings (tricep fat). I just don't want to look at my wedding pictures when I get them and be like, "UGH! Why did I wear strapless?!" It's a Belle 206 from Alfred Angelo that I'll be wearing. Our hope is to take that shawl thingy and actually cut it in half, and sew them in as off-the-shoulder cap sleeves so that a). it doesn't ride up every time I lift my arms and b). it looks more like the dress from "Beauty and the Beast." My hope is that the modification, assuming the sleeves fall low enough on my arms...hopefully they'll "hide" trouble spots.

The other thing I'm considering is wearing elbow-length gloves like Belle wore in the movie as well. I have them...I've just never tried them on with the dress at the same time. I have my first fitting this Friday...so I'll probably bring them and see if I like the look. If I don't, then I'll probably get little lacey wrist-length gloves. My hands get super cold very easily (even in Florida), so I think gloves of some sort are happening no matter what.

With the fitting...I can't lose much weight anyway. So, toning is what I'm looking to do!

Tiffiny
Old 07-30-2014, 08:22 AM   #12
TiffinyKaye
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seia View Post
I'm not sure if this would work with your injury, or if it's available where you are. My co-worker has bad knees and can't do high impact exercise, so she's started doing aqua zumba and really enjoys it. It looks pretty fun!
Hi Seia!

That does sound fun! I've never heard of it though, so I wonder if it's around here or not. I'll have to check into it. Swimming is a really good low-impact exercise.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #13
TiffinyKaye
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alyaki View Post
Not really focusing on getting in better shape for the wedding, but I am working on getting in better shape for me. I do P90X - it's one of the few things that I've truly enjoyed, and I focus primarily on plyo, cardio, and kenpo (the last seems to be the lowest on impact), and I started adding in core, and will add chest/back soon. Right now, though, I'm stuck on break, since I screwed up my knees doing core on concrete with the pushups using knees (DF thinks I have splints, just have to stay off and wait for them to heal). I love it because it's not just a workout I actually enjoy, but it helps me control the hyperactivity part of my ADHD disorder, which is an unintended bonus!

Once I'm finished with having to be so focused on losing weight (while adding muscle), I'll probably start adding in more time swimming. I also really liked the Body Pump classes when I would go to the gym, but I don't really use a gym now since they're so far out of my way. I have a hard time actually following through when it's not something I just always pass on the way home.

Noticed you can't do the P90. But I think others have given some awesome advice. Also, like most, I've changed my eating habits a lot - I eat a lot healthier, and now I actually drink about 90oz of water daily, which actually helps a ton.

How's P90X working out for you? It's a program I always wanted to try (but it'll probably be a while before I even attempt--depending on how this rock climbing thing goes). I know you said that you're using it for more than just losing weight...but I'm curious how often those insane results you see on the infomercials actually happen. How long have you been doing it?

Tiffiny
Old 07-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #14
alyaki
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffinyKaye View Post
How's P90X working out for you? It's a program I always wanted to try (but it'll probably be a while before I even attempt--depending on how this rock climbing thing goes). I know you said that you're using it for more than just losing weight...but I'm curious how often those insane results you see on the infomercials actually happen. How long have you been doing it?

Tiffiny
I've really enjoyed it! My legs have toned like crazy, since a majority of the modules I prefer to work on are on my feet, since adding core, I've noticed a definite increase in muscle definition in my arms (though even before that, kenpo was lowering the amount of flab). No more fat rolls on back/sides (not in front either, but still a crease - working on that with core). I've also noticed that a lot of areas that were always sore (back, knees, ankles) are a lot less sore, though I still have to be careful with my ankles since they still sprain easily.

I've been doing P90X for about 6 months now, and as I get stronger/better at the modules I'm doing, I add in new ones (like core, and chest/back which is next). That doesn't mean I get through them all, though - I can still only get about 30 minutes into Plyo (that one murders me), but compared to the 8 minutes I started at, I'm okay with that. I work to gradually increase how far I go, but stop if I feel I'm in too much pain or something feels really off, since P90X is easy to hurt yourself doing if you don't. Also note, I don't do it as it's advertised to be use, because I know I would hurt myself. I can usually, when not hurt, do 2-3 days on, rest day, then another 2-3 on. When hurt, I do enforced rest days in between each workout day. And there were times early on (and even now, if I push too hard), where I've had to rest for 2 days between workouts to allow my body to recover enough for me to workout again (I'd just be too sore to do the forms).

I really want to try the P90X3 modules, since they are 30 minute workouts, but I'm holding off a bit until I can get through Plyo (just out of pride - it's one of my goals). If anyone knows if there's a module I can try out of that workout, though, let me know - I've liked P90X, but there are other ones I haven't liked as much, so I don't want to buy it without knowing if I like it.
alyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 11:59 AM   #15
Annadesu
Splash Mountain Addict

My best tips for losing weight are as follows... Don't eat after 7pm. Breakfast or Lunch should be your bigger meal, Dinner should be the smallest. And don't bother with the "low fat" versions of things, they usually make up for the lack of fat by adding a ton of salt or sugar, etc. Just get regular things and eat in moderation.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: