Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2005, 08:55 AM   #1
barbaraann
Chicago Gal

If you have been to Disneyland - Please share your tips.

I have never been to Disneyland. I will be visiting there in July. We are arriving on the 16th and staying until the 22nd. I read everything I can get my eyes on. I am very excited about being at Disneyland for the 50th anniversary. I will be traveling with another mom. We are a party of two adult females and 4 children ages 6 to 14.

We need tips. Tips about Disneyland. Money saving tips. Time saving tips. Memory making tips. For all of you who have been to Disneyland, please share your tips.

Thanks in advance.
barbaraann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 09:47 AM   #2
iceskatejen
I did it 4 times during my trip and I enjoyed each and every one of them
Turns out I'm a thrill ride junkie
deep down, I just want a jungle man in a loincloth

My biggest one--be at the front gates 30 minutes before they open. If the park opens at 8, then be there by 7:30, if it opens later, be there 1 hour before park opening because the gates will open 30 minutes prior to park opening. If driving in, then be a the parking area at those times. Be smart about using FP--if the wait is under 20 minutes, don't bother with it unless the return time is pretty close and you know that you'll want to ride that ride twice.
iceskatejen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-08-2005, 10:50 AM   #3
barbaraann
Chicago Gal

We are staying at the Hilton Anaheim and our first day at the park, will be the 16th of July, which is the day before the anniversary. We are going to make sure the kids get a good night's sleep, because we plan on leaving for the park on the 17th at 6 a.m. With the park scheduled to open on that morning at 8 a.m., we do not want to miss anything. We will either walk to the park, or take the shuttle, if it is running that early.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #4
BeckyEsq
Mouseketeer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceskatejen
My biggest one--be at the front gates 30 minutes before they open. If the park opens at 8, then be there by 7:30, if it opens later, be there 1 hour before park opening because the gates will open 30 minutes prior to park opening. If driving in, then be a the parking area at those times. Be smart about using FP--if the wait is under 20 minutes, don't bother with it unless the return time is pretty close and you know that you'll want to ride that ride twice.
Is there a limit on how many FP's a person can get? If so what is the limit? TIA.
DisneyLand 6/05
Wilderness Lodge 8/06
Port Orleans Riverside 8/13
*now planning* POR Royal Guest Room 8/14

Is She Ready To Be A Princess? August 2013 Trip Report
BeckyEsq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
scroot
Mouseketeer

Try to limit the amount that you walk. Do everything you want to in one area before moving to the next. Avoid going from Pooh to Buzz Lightyear (from one corner of the park to the other). Consider riding the train as transportation. Schedule restful attractions like great moments with Mr. Lincoln and the Tiki Room for when it is hot. Sitting in air conditioning is a good thing in CA in July.
scroot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 01:12 PM   #6
iceskatejen
I did it 4 times during my trip and I enjoyed each and every one of them
Turns out I'm a thrill ride junkie
deep down, I just want a jungle man in a loincloth

Technically, no. It's really quite complicated. Some people think you can only get one FP per ride per day--not true, just one at a time (or at least you can't get another until you can get another FP for any ride). Some think you can only hold one FP at a time--also not true, if you know what you are doing. When you put your ticket into the FP machine, you'll get your FP ticket. It will have you're return time (between one time and another 1 hour later) and at the bottom it will have the time you can get another. That will either be when you're FP window opens or 2 hours later, whichever comes first. Get your next FP as soon as you can--as soon as that window opens up be putting your ticket into another FP machine. Also--the two parks are not connected to eachother, so you can hold FPs for both parks at the same time (each ticket used to get a FP must go through the ticket readers at the park entrances). Plus Roger Rabbit and Grizzly River are not connected to the rest of the system in either park, so you can hold FPs for each of those, plus another ride in each park at the same time.
iceskatejen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:04 PM   #7
familyoffive
DIS Veteran

DL in July will be crazy. The 17th will be packed and hot. Expect a packed park with very long wait times. I would expect that if you leave the park to take a break at your hotel, you will not be guaranteed re-entry. Plan to spend time away from the sun and heat by browsing the shops. As others have suggested, bring lots of sunscreen!
familyoffive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:27 PM   #8
babysharknc
Earning My Ears

Time saving tip! There are two lines for the matterhorn! One on each side of the mountain. We did not realize this and stood in the longer line for about 10 minutes when a nice lady said there was a shorter/nonexistant line on the other side of the mountain. Sure enough we walked over and no line, practically walked onto the ride!
babysharknc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #9
dreamingdisney
Mouseketeer

I agree with the others who said to try and do activities in one area before moving to another. With the heat and the crowds, it will be too exhausting zipping back and forth between the different "lands".

Even on the hottest days, the crowds are much thinner at Disney's California Adventure than Disneyland. When we want to take a break from Disneyland, but don't want to leave the parks, we head over to California Adventure and catch a show - like Aladdin, Muppet Vision 3D, or some of the "cooler" rides like Grizzly River Run or Soarin' over California - then we head back over to Disneyland.
Poly - 2005 - 5/07-5/13 (Our 1st trip to WDW!)
(17) (9)
dreamingdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
Alison Wonderland
I thought I saw a small one in the closet
I couldn't believe I was actually seeing Peter Pan!

TIps

If there are mostly younger kids in your group, but I would say go to Fantasyland first and get as much as you can done there because these lines will be unbelievable later in the day. You could get 3-4 rides done early in the same time you would stand in line for 1 ride once it starts getting close to lunch time and later.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[img][/img]
Alison Wonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2005, 10:57 PM   #11
barbaraann
Chicago Gal

Thanks to everyone who responded to this question. I have been to WDW a few times, so I know a little about Theme Park strategy. I am looking for Disneyland Specific tips, and I thank anyone who may pass some of these along. I know they will make my first trip to Disneyland memorable.
Old 04-09-2005, 01:39 AM   #12
Itinkso
Faith.Trust.Pixie Dust

When you are standing in line for Peter Pan, look up into the 2nd story windows of the Snow White ride. You will see "someone" open the curtains and peak out at you! Touch the apple as you enter the Snow White ride and someone mysterious will speak to you!! If you are into art, go up to the Disney Gallery above Pirates...it used to be Walt's apartment Stop and buy a churro at one of the churro carts they are everywhere at DL and DCA...we really missed our churros at WDW
When you are in DCA, stop at Wine Country Trattoria in the evening a little before the Electrical Parade begins. Have dessert, the tiramisu is delicious and watch the parade from the terrace. Ask for seating along the wall of the terrace!
If you aren't going to make it to San Francisco, have a clam chowder bowl at Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA...it is the same chowder that Boudin's serves at Fisherman's Wharf!
Take the time to enjoy your visit as DL really is very different than WDW!
WDW 6/14 - Off-site; 2/14 - AoA; 12/13 - Off-site; 1/13 - AKL; 10/12 - Pop; 4/12 - Off-site; 11/10 - BWI CL; 8/10 - POR; 7/09 - POFQ; 4/04 - ASMo; 2/97 - CBR ~ DLP 7/2012 ~ DLR - Mother Ship ~ August 6, 2005 - Magical Cruise of the Mexican Riviera ~ Sept. 29, 2012 Fantasy Western Caribbean
Itinkso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
CalGal
Just tinkering around
"Let's Go Fly a Kite" makes me feel like skipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbaraann
We are staying at the Hilton Anaheim and our first day at the park, will be the 16th of July, which is the day before the anniversary. We are going to make sure the kids get a good night's sleep, because we plan on leaving for the park on the 17th at 6 a.m. With the park scheduled to open on that morning at 8 a.m., we do not want to miss anything. We will either walk to the park, or take the shuttle, if it is running that early.
Try to avoid walking from the Hilton. It's farther than it looks, and your feet are going to get awfully tired after awhile. Which brings up another tip which you should already know since you've been to WDW -- take care of your feet. Wear comfortable walking shoes, bring bandaids and consider using moleskin. Even though DL is much more compact than WDW, you still find yourself walking a lot. I like to bring a few different pairs of comfortable shoes and alternate them.

As stated before, you may not be guaranteed re-admission on the 17th, but on other days, if you take the shuttle back to the hotel for rest and swim breaks, time it carefully. You don't want to be waiting at the transportation center a long time in the July heat.
CalGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:04 PM   #14
Danvers
These words are my own.
... But the color is not
Since when is underwear optional?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itinkso
When you are standing in line for Peter Pan, look up into the 2nd story windows of the Snow White ride. You will see "someone" open the curtains and peak out at you! Touch the apple as you enter the Snow White ride and someone mysterious will speak to you!! If you are into art, go up to the Disney Gallery above Pirates...it used to be Walt's apartment Stop and buy a churro at one of the churro carts they are everywhere at DL and DCA...we really missed our churros at WDW
When you are in DCA, stop at Wine Country Trattoria in the evening a little before the Electrical Parade begins. Have dessert, the tiramisu is delicious and watch the parade from the terrace. Ask for seating along the wall of the terrace!
If you aren't going to make it to San Francisco, have a clam chowder bowl at Pacific Wharf Cafe in DCA...it is the same chowder that Boudin's serves at Fisherman's Wharf!
Take the time to enjoy your visit as DL really is very different than WDW!

These are awesome tips, thank you!
Danvers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2005, 10:46 PM   #15
LucyKate
Australian Princesses
"I love youse all"

When going over the final drop at Splash Mountain don't stick a camera on your face or you'll be disappointed with the automatic photograph at the end of the ride! If you want a good picture there, sit in the front row and throw your arms up and look up.

If you want a good pic on Screamin, it's taken right at the end of the ride, just as you begin to slow before departure on the final bend.

There are lockers on Main Street which are great if you plan to spend the whole day and don't want to cart your coats, souvenirs or food with you all day - costs just $5 and well worth it.

If you have kids buy an autograph book a the first souvenir shop as you enter the park - saves having to race back when your kids go nuts because they've just seen Mickey or some other character.

Best and cheapest food in the park - the turkey legs from carts. will feed half a family each!
LucyKate is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: