Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #1
WillCAD
Where there's a Will there's a way

My two cents on digital cameras

A lot of folks post on the boards asking for help on digital cameras. This is understandable, since digital cameras can be pretty complicated and confusing, so I thought I would start a thread where everyone could offer a few minor observations and very general recommendations.

I'll start with a few of mine:

1) Don't buy ONE big memory card. Buy several smaller memory cards. This way, if something happens to one of your memory cards (loss, damage, accidental formatting, etc), you will only lose some of your pics, not all of them.

2) KEEP THE FILES! Lots of people ask where they can print thier digital pics while on vacation, then delete the files to free up space on thier memory cards. This is a HUGE mistake; the digital files on those memory cards are your negatives. If you delete them, you have thrown the negatives away and made it nearly impossible to share your pics by email, blow them up, or reprint them later when the first set of prints fades or turns yellow.

3) Play with the camera. A lot. Read the manual cover-to-cover, even if you only skim over some parts of it, so that you will know WHAT the camera can do, even if you can't remember exactly how to do it all the time. 3B) Keep the manual in the camera bag and take it on vacation with you so you can look up important proceedures and refresh your memory.

4) When you need help and post a question here, make sure to include the actual model number of your camera. For instance, posting that you have a Kodak 5.1 megapixel is not terribly helpful, since Kodak makes several 5.1 megapixel cameras. Likewise, Kodak makes about 20 different EasyShare models. But if you post that you have a Kodak EasyShare DX7440, then it's possible to look up online reviews and references and maybe you can get some help.

5) Learn as much as you can about basic photography to improve your pics. Whether you are recording an image with a CCD sensor or silver halide-coated mylar film, the image is still created by light, which bounces off your subject, passes through the camera's lens, and strikes the recording media to create the image. Learning more about how the light travels and bounces and gyrates and dances will help you to manipulate it to create a better image.

Okay, I'm done, what other tips do you all have?
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:16 PM   #2
iluvdiznee
I don't wanna grow up!

Wow! Thanks for that!
I do have a question. I DO delete my card AFTER I save it to disc, save it on my computer AND make prints. Should I NOT do that?
I though as long as I had access to the files VIA disc, I could do whatever with them.

My two cents is:
Play with your camera! That's the beauty of digital photography. YOu cannot waste film! I have got some awesome shots just by playing with the flash and getting at different angles!

Off site, many 1-3 day trips to MK and Epcot. 75-078/07 POFQ, no parks, girls weekend.POP, 3 parks. 2/24/087/28/08 POP, Mother/daughter trip, MK
iluvdiznee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-04-2005, 07:24 PM   #3
safetymom
Have will travel
ABD trips = clothes optional

Once you have the images backed up then you can delete them from your memory card. Also remember to make 2 copies of the CD that contain your images. That way if anything should happen you still have another CD.

When you go to format your memory card do it in the camera not on your computer.
safetymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:32 PM   #4
hugsquared
W. makes my liver quiver

This is going to be an awsome thread for me...as I'm as dense as a rock when it comes to anything electronic. I have...and continue...to read my manual, it would just help if they spoke english there
I posted earlier and actually have a Kodak EasyShare DX7630. Great idea about several small SD's...never EVER thought of losing it. Keep all the great suggestions coming. We (ahem) "beginners" can never get too much help.
hugsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
hugsquared
W. makes my liver quiver

Talking

WillCad...ot, but we just moved from Rosedale back in Sept. Only lived there for 3 months (did a travel nurse job) but loved the local area and downtown Baltimore was great. Just thought I'd shout a hello and
hugsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #6
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

I download onto my laptop while I'm there and then download onto my PC when I get home so I have a couple backups. I usually don't delete the pictures on my card (128mb) until I use it for something else.
DebbieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 07:58 PM   #7
WillCAD
Where there's a Will there's a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiznee
Wow! Thanks for that!
I do have a question. I DO delete my card AFTER I save it to disc, save it on my computer AND make prints. Should I NOT do that?
I though as long as I had access to the files VIA disc, I could do whatever with them.
Absolutely correct. The important thing is to keep the files; once you have them on disc or on your computer's hard drive, you can safely delete them from the memory cards.

hugsquared, Hi back!
WillCAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:03 PM   #8
NJDisneymom
DIS Veteran

can anyone recommend WHERE/HOW to learn more about photography??? DH bought me a Canon Powershot G6 (7 megapixel) for Xmas and still don't have a clue how to use it well, even after reading the manual. I don't want to use it on auto our entire vacation but every time I try to play with it I end up with terrible pictures.

**Next trip: Dec 2012 - Coronado - Cheer Nationals**
Our Disney trips:
May 2011 - POLY
Dec 2009 - POR - Cheer Nationals
Dec08/Jan09 - Contemporary
May 2005 - POFQ
Aug 2003 - Caribbean Beach
June 1996 - Off Site
May 1995 - Off Site
1991 - Port Orleans/Big Red Boat cruise
1988 - Disneyland - CA
NJDisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:15 PM   #9
DrTomorrow
Your Disney friend from the Future!
Attempting to prevent a paradox

My $.02:

1. Spend more that two cents on your digital camera!

Sorry.

2. Get as much of an "optical zoom" as you can afford. Our current camera (our first) only had a 2x optical zoom with a 4x digital zoom - yet I feel that the digital zoom just doesn't cut it.

Thanks to WillCAD for the tips!

I am a leaf on the wind. Watch how I soar!
DrTomorrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #10
srcrmcky#1fan
Earning My Ears

Great info! For our last trip to WDW, I purchased a digital camera. I played around with it plenty before we went, so I was familiar with it. It was so handy not having to worry about lugging around a lot of film and I could see my results instantly! And, the pictures turned out fantastic! I also like that I can save all of my trip pictures to one CD and not have to worry about film negatives. If I want reprints, I just have to locate the labeled CD! Digital cameras may seem confusing at first, but I think they are well worth it!
#1 Fan!
"Sometimes you just can't get enough!"

78, 82, 86, 90--Off Site
12/94--All Star Sports
3/96--Dixie Landings/Polynesian
3/97--CBR
Summer 97--Cast Member
8/99--All Star Music
12/99--Dolphin--Honeymoon
9/01--All Star Music
5/04--PO-FQ
6/04--POP
12/04--CSR--5th anniversary
2/05--Disneyland
srcrmcky#1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:19 PM   #11
WishinOnaStar
Wanted to grow up and marry Spin or Marty

Oh man...I'm never gona get to get a digital. Formating in the camera? I don't have a clue what yer talkin bout Willis. I barley make it round these here boards.

Disneyland--summer 1970
Disneyland--summer 1987
Disneyland--summer 1994
Disneyland--summer 1996
Disneyland--summer 1998

June 2001--Upgrade to DI from ASM--my birthday
June 2002--ASM,CRB--my birthday
June 2003--AKL--left day before my birthday
July 2005--AKL--nephew and best friends birthday
WishinOnaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:20 PM   #12
dpuck1998
I'm innocent I tell you...innocent! I've been framed!

Worlds second largest Miami Dolphin fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDisneymom
can anyone recommend WHERE/HOW to learn more about photography??? DH bought me a Canon Powershot G6 (7 megapixel) for Xmas and still don't have a clue how to use it well, even after reading the manual. I don't want to use it on auto our entire vacation but every time I try to play with it I end up with terrible pictures.
My local camera shop offers "classes" I'm sure you can find something near you to learn about it. If not look on the web and research whatever you can find that might give you some insight....or find a "geek" to show you what they know (that would be someone like me)

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
dpuck1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #13
kandeebunny
DIS Veteran

No matter how confused you are don't bring it in to the store you bought it from if it was not a camera shop. Bring it in to a local shop or somewhere like Ritz. If you bought it at best buy and you need asistance don't go there, they change their stock too often and don't know everything about every camera that exists.

My furbaby Tinkerbell
kandeebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:24 PM   #14
dpuck1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTomorrow
My $.02:

1. Spend more that two cents on your digital camera!

Sorry.

2. Get as much of an "optical zoom" as you can afford. Our current camera (our first) only had a 2x optical zoom with a 4x digital zoom - yet I feel that the digital zoom just doesn't cut it.

Thanks to WillCAD for the tips!
Good tip, but now days if you want small and portable you give up a good digital zoom. Most pocket size max out at 3x optical. However the higher the megapixel the better the digital zoom as you can zoom closer without giving up the quality. If you print mostly 4x6 or wallet size photos a good 6 or 7 megapixel camera will allow you to digitally zoom a lot and still print a good 4x6 photo. I choose to not use the digital zoom on the camera, but if I want to "zoom" in later I can do it on the computer and still print fabulous 4x6 photos.

Aug03'Yacht Club Concierge;Feb04'OKW;Oct04'Poly;Jan05'SSR;Jan06'SoG;April06'BCV/RPR;Jan07'BCV;
March07'Cruis'en;Sept07'HRH/MNSSHP;Dec07'Xmas@BCV;June08'VWL;May09'AKV/Podcast Cruise;Dec09'BCV/AKV for Xmas
April10'POR
Old 04-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #15
dpuck1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by WishinOnaStar
Oh man...I'm never gona get to get a digital. Formating in the camera? I don't have a clue what yer talkin bout Willis. I barley make it round these here boards.
Don't worry too much about that. You don't usually have to format your card. As long as you move your photos off the memory card when you download them. Format is a way most people delete all the photos from thier card, although thats not its true purpose.

April10'POR

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: