Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-02-2005, 08:08 PM   #1
Jasminesmommy
My dh pops the can for me
I am addicted to these "As seen on TV" gadgets
A new Barbie would be nice

Can the courts make a parent give there kids ritlan?

My sons Teacher not the school just the teacher wants my son tested for ADHD. My DH is worried that if tested and has it we have to give him ritlan which we are both against. Does anyone know if they can make you or take your child away for not giving him medication? I don't think they can but he and his dad thinks they can and I should not have him tested. Very difficult please help with expirence.
Jasminesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:19 PM   #2
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

I cannot think of any situation where parent is "forced" to get child treatment--unless failure to give treatment endangers the child in some way. Oftentimes there are non-medicinal ways to treat behavioral problems, though it might be a bit more challenging.

(not getting innoculated comes to mind--schools require it, but no parent can be forced per se to get their child innoculated).

Good luck to you---it might benefit to have your child tested and then request non-medicinal ways to treat it should he indeed be AD or ADD or ADHD.

I remember the Desparate Housewives Episode where the mom decides not to give the kids Ritolin (only to use it later herself).
Lisa loves Pooh is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-02-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
janette
aka going2wdw
Wants to know who moved her button???
Ask me for directions

No they cannot, if your child is having trouble in school then it would be in his best interest to have an evaluation. Not just for ADHD but a complete evaluation that includes learning, social and other types of differences.

If you are uncomfortable with the school being involved you can do the evaluations through your own doctors / therapists.

Educate yourself and your DH about ADHD so you know the questions to ask. Medications are often a big help for some kids, but only a through evaluation would let you know what the problems really are.

Check out this website http://www.allkindsofminds.org/ , there are all kinds of reasons a child may have trouble in school finding out why and helping them to succeed is really the most important thing.

janette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:38 PM   #4
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

No, they cannot force your child to take the medication. If they are willing to do the testing, though, it couldn't hurt. If your child is having problems, it is always good to know why.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 08:48 PM   #5
lovingthemouse
You must believe......and then send cold, hard cash!!! ;)
magic is in the heart of the beholder...

I have a few sixth graders who are presently taking (or supposed to be taking) medication for ADHD. Here in our city, certain guidelines must be met before administering the meds. Our school nurse will not pursue the student, the student must report themselves. There have been occassions where I have reminded them to see the nurse right after lunch.
My team feels that without these meds, some of our students truly lack the self control they need to maintain attention in class and not be disruptive to other students around them. Without the meds, we have seen how very difficult it is for them to focus, to feel self confident, to work effectively and to get through an entire day. In all honesty, I have found they can can place additional stress (sometimes quite a lot) when I have a class of 28 other students who need my attention also.
I feel the previous poster presented some valuable information to you. It is far better to be informed. Before anyone can diagnosis the problem, be sure and have a doctor perform a complete evaluation. In addition, many school systems have what we call a CORE evaluation, which can encompass educational, psychological, physical, emotional evals. Do check with your son's school system about this and become aware of exactly what your rights as parents are! Good luck to you all.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:50 PM   #6
Ratpack
WL VET

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

No, this would be up to you and your doctor. I would, however, go forward with the testing process. You can do this through the school or privately (which you would have to pay for). The evaluator would ask you, the teachers, and child questions about behavioral, emotional and academic issues. It DOES NOT qualify him/her for medications, only to determine strategies that the classroom teacher can do for your child. I have done this for several of my students each year and did not ask them to medicate. I simply could find other alternatives to help the child succeed in school. Don't take this personally from the testing...it is not out to get you or your child. Just count on it as answers to why this is going on and what can you all do as a TEAM to help him/her. Best Wishes!
Old 04-02-2005, 09:15 PM   #7
Jasminesmommy

I have started the process. In Jan he had a evaluaton and speech test and they did not recommend it. Let me say he is only 5 in KG. Today I went to the phycologist person. My doctor recommended her. While i was filling out paperwork for upcomming test that I had to mail he kept saying "be careful how you answer it". Whats th epoint of it if he wants me to lie. I filled it out truthfully but he is making feel bad and like there going to take my child because"if" it shows a problem we don't want the meds.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:56 PM   #8
JudicialTyranny
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminesmommy
Does anyone know if they can make you or take your child away for not giving him medication?
There have been cases where courts got involved. Nowadays, there seem to be very few, if any, checks and balances on courts and judges.

Here are two articles I found:

Quote:
Albany Times Union
By RICK KARLIN, Staff writer
First published: Wednesday, July 19, 2000

Court orders couple to give son drug

Albany -- A Berne couple who faced child abuse charges when they tried to take their 7-year-old son off Ritalin must continue giving him the drug, a family court judge has ruled.

"We're not being charged with anything, but we've got to go by these rules,'' Jill Carroll said of orders she and her husband Michael received last week from Albany County Family Court Judge Gerard Maney.

The Carrolls received an adjournment in contemplation of dismissal, similar to a dropping of charges, on condition they keep their son Kyle on Ritalin, Carroll said, adding they will be visited by county social service workers over the next year.

"I'm done with court and am on watch for a year,'' Carroll said.

The Carrolls' controversy began last year after an official at the Berne-Knox-Westerlo School District filed a complaint with the Albany County Department of Social Services saying the family wanted to stop giving Kyle his dose of Ritalin, a stimulant used to treat attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder. The Carrolls feared the drug was harming Kyle's appetite and sleep.

Once contacted by the school district, social service workers charged the Carrolls with child abuse on the grounds that Kyle wasn't being given prescribed medication.

Those civil charges led to the recent court hearing and raised the possibility, though remote, that social workers could remove the boy from his home.

The judge also ruled that the Carrolls may seek a second opinion on whether Ritalin should be given. The Carrolls' pediatrician and a psychologist both agreed the Ritalin should continue, Carroll said.

But if another pediatrician examines Kyle and disagrees, the Carrolls could then appeal the decision.
Quote:
USA Today
August 8, 2000

Parents pressured to put kids on Ritalin
N.Y. court orders use of medicine
By Karen Thomas, USA TODAY

Some public schools are accusing parents of child abuse when they balk at giving their kids drugs such as Ritalin, and as judges begin to agree, some parents are medicating their children for fear of having them hauled away.

It's an emerging twist in the growing debate about diagnosing and medicating children with attention deficit disorder (ADD) and attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder (ADHD): An Albany, N.Y., couple put their 7-year-old son back on Ritalin after a family court ruled that they must continue medicating him for ADD.

Child protective services visited another New York couple to check out anonymous allegations of "medical neglect" after they took their son off Ritalin and other drugs because of side effects, the couple said.

"This is relatively new, but it's happening," says Maryland psychiatrist Peter Breggin, who is aware of similar cases in Boston. Often, he says, divorced parents disagree on medicating kids, and judges recently have ruled in favor of the parent who wants to medicate. The Albany case is the first pitting educators against parents that progressed to a judge's ruling.

"This is going to be happening more and more," says psychologist Peter Jensen, who is on the board of Children and Adults With Attention Deficit Disorder, a parents group that advocates combining drug and behavior treatments.
JudicialTyranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #9
phillybeth

My left side is shorter than my right side
I agree with
My fingerprints are on file...

Quote:
I have started the process. In Jan he had a evaluaton and speech test and they did not recommend it. Let me say he is only 5 in KG. Today I went to the phycologist person. My doctor recommended her. While i was filling out paperwork for upcomming test that I had to mail he kept saying "be careful how you answer it". Whats th epoint of it if he wants me to lie. I filled it out truthfully but he is making feel bad and like there going to take my child because"if" it shows a problem we don't want the meds.
Don't rule out meds entirely if your son needs them. I know Ritalin seems to be overprescribed, but it really and truly helps many children, my nephew among them. My SIL and BIL tried everything possible to avoid giving meds, but nothing worked. Finally in desparation they did a trial of Ritalin, and the change was unbelievable.

I do think that meds should be a last resort after all other options have been exhausted however.
July 76- Offsite, July 78- Poly, July 80- Poly, August 83- Poly July 92- Offsite, January 95- WL February 96- Offsite, May 98-BWV, August 98- ASMu, March 01- CR, December 02- ASMu, November 03- CSR, January 05- POFQ , September 05- AKL, April 06- POP
phillybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:04 PM   #10
phillybeth

My left side is shorter than my right side
I agree with
My fingerprints are on file...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudicialTyranny
There have been cases where courts got involved. Nowadays, there seem to be very few, if any, checks and balances on courts and judges.

Here are two articles I found:

Both of those quotes are from 2000. Try and find something more recent before you go around scaring people.
July 76- Offsite, July 78- Poly, July 80- Poly, August 83- Poly July 92- Offsite, January 95- WL February 96- Offsite, May 98-BWV, August 98- ASMu, March 01- CR, December 02- ASMu, November 03- CSR, January 05- POFQ , September 05- AKL, April 06- POP
phillybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 10:17 PM   #11
Jasminesmommy

I had a 2nd cousin who committed suicide after he started taking it plus my mom says on the news last week they are linking it to cancer. i just don't like the idea of drugs to calm him down. Its like using downers. I don't need him to be a 5 yr junkie.
Old 04-02-2005, 10:27 PM   #12
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

It is my understanding that if the child is TRULY ADHD a medication will calm them, but if given to people with more normal activity levels it hypes them up. Also, Ritalin is not the only medication used to treat hyperactivity or attention deficit, there are many others. School personnel are not qualified or able to determine or diagnose attention deficit or hyperactivity disorders.
J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:20 PM   #13
brermomof2
Registered

When I taught in MO, the spec ed teacher would give an inservice at the beginning of every school year. We had really strict rules to follow. First, a teacher was NEVER allowed to suggest anything like that to a parent. Something about the school becoming liable for having to pay for outside evaluations. There was a whole process to go through, which I don't really remember, but it basically started with turning an observation form into the spec ed dept and then they took over. I don't believe a school could ever force you to make your child take medication.
brermomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 11:25 PM   #14
summerrluvv
Work Hard. Have Fun.
Haven't candled my ears in a while!

Quote:

You are not alone. My son is in K too (he's six now) and they always talk about how distracted he is. He isn't bouncing off the walls, but he just can't pay attention. They make comments about it a lot and say it's something I need to talk to my dr. about. I have made an appt. for the neuro, but it's not until July (soonest they could get us in). I do not want to medicate him (worried about potential future side affects), so if it doesnt turn out that he does have ADHD, I'm definately going to look for other alternatives. Hopefully it's something he will grow out of since he is still fairly young. Good luck to you
Old 04-02-2005, 11:57 PM   #15
tar heel
Where will we get our news if we lose The Daily Show and Colbert Report?

I advise you to keep an open mind. Try to find out why your child is having difficulties. It may be as simple as immaturity or something other than ADHD entirely. If it is ADHD, you need to look at all your options.

My son takes a low dosage of a medication for ADHD (not Ritalin -- it's no longer the drug of choice in many cases). He's an A student, in the gifted program, the computer guy for the Quiz Bowl team and came in second in the Geography Bee. He's really excited about his first baseball game Monday night -- his hitting is incredible this year, plays piano and guitar, just crossed over from Cub Scouts to Boys Scouts and is a video game whiz. I'm not saying all this to brag -- I'm trying to convey that he is a well-rounded, successful child with lots of friends and interests. This kid is NOT on downers (the medications are stimulants, the opposite of downers) and he's not a junkie. Do I wish he didn't need the medication? Of course. The drugs aren't a panacea either -- he still has to work very hard to stay focused and relatively still.

Believe me, I researched ADHD drugs thoroughly. We switched drugs this year b/c it works adequately at a lower dosage. My son's doctor, who recently retired, has found that the frustration a kid with ADHD that isn't treated feels leads to lots of acting out, including often street drug usage. He prescribed Ritalin for ADHD to carefully monitored patients for 40 years and feels comfortable with the drug. Notice I said "carefully monitored." Not only does may son see his doctor more often, but the counselor affiliated with his practice touches base with us and his teacher regularly. Sometimes it seems like overkill, but it's one of the reasons we've stayed with the practice even though the location is no longer convenient.

I'm going to take a big guess that your second cousin had some issues other than ADHD.
tar heel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: