Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2005, 06:21 AM   #1
airhead
DIS Veteran

My new favorite show!! (dog show related)

Did anybody see the new reality show on Bravo last night,"Dog Show Moms & dads"? That's my life!!!!!! It really does become an addiction. You work so hard at training your dogs for those few minutes in front of a judge. Its a wicked rush to watch your dog perform in an obedience ring! even when we don't Q (qualify)
I'm so impressed with what my Dobiegirl can do!!
airhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
ladycollector
UCF Knights!

I went to a real dog show here in FL a couple weeks ago and the people weren't real friendly. I was kind of hoping to find out some information about it but I must say I was a little intimidated. How do you get started, and when you get handed the (colored) ribbons, do you get anything else? LOL

Thanks so much
Kayla
Register to remove

Old 03-31-2005, 06:58 AM   #3
HauteCuisine
Registered

ladycollector-this is off topic , but I see you are from Destin
Is everything back to "normal" at the Destin beaches after last year's hurricane? How about Pensacola? (Thanks!)
HauteCuisine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 07:47 AM   #4
stamper
Sammy smiles!

Airhead...I'm bummed 'cause we don't get Bravo. I'm guessing it's probably my life as well It is a rush when your dog does their best...win or not. We enjoy the social side of showing, especially now that we have a camper and can stay on site. We get together for cookouts and once last year a friend of ours won BIS (Best In Show) with their Samoyed and the following weekend we had a celebration potluck supper.

Ladycollector, Sorry you found the people unfriendly. It happens unfortunately. Here's a bit of advice...get a schedule so you know when each breed is "on" (in the ring), if it's close to ring time for a certain breed, don't try to get someone to talk while they are frantically grooming. It's better to either talk to a handler ringside if they are sitting and watching or wait until they are heading back to the grooming area after judging is done.

If you are interested in a particular breed, you could go to that breed's national club website and look for a breeder referral page. If you can find a breeder in your area, you could contact them ahead of time and start a conversation well before the show. Explain you are interested in showing and would they be willing to give you ringside pointers once they are done showing that day. Or if you are interested in obedience competition, you could ask local breeders if they compete in obedience and ask how to start.

As for the ribbons, I can only speak for conformation (breed judging). At a regular show, you get the ribbon only. If it is a special show for your breed, you quite often get other "goodies" like mugs, plates, pewter bowls, glasses, or anything else you can think of with a pic of your breed on it. Those are just icing on the cake. What we all really want if our dog isn't a Champion yet, is the Purple ribbon...this is for "Winners" and it means you get the points that day toward you Champion title. Above that, everyone wants Purple and Gold....Best of Breed. That means you get to go on to the group ring....ah, one can dream!

If you're looking to get into conformation, let me know and I'll see if I can help you anymore. If it's obedience you want to do, ask Airhead

I John 2:8b
......because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
stamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 10:55 AM   #5
airhead
DIS Veteran

stamper,will you be at the Acton,ME show?

I will probably enter my girl in that trial.
Old 03-31-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
stamper
Sammy smiles!

Airhead,

Won't be showing in Acton. Misty won't be recovered from thr litter by then I don't think. Plus, the fairgrounds made some new rules - no "pets" allowed, so I couldn't bring my unentered dogs with us. We always take them all for the weekend, it's part of why we got a camper. They(fairground people) were hard enough to deal with (as far as camping) last yr. We end up going to watch...it's hard to stay away! The one we really like is 2 wks. later in Scarborough, ME...it's at a nice campground. Not sure she'll be ready then either...I'm figuring I won't be able to bring her out until around June...so that looks like Augusta, ME

I John 2:8b
......because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
stamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 01:17 PM   #7
airhead
DIS Veteran

scarborough

I LOVE that show site. I'm planning on entering her in that show,hey maybe we can meet!!!!
Old 03-31-2005, 04:41 PM   #8
Aimeedyan
Why get all excited about something as silly as a fake celebrity? Or getting a tag?
Jello is not meant to be chunky

I am watching the show right now! Love it so far!
1982 & 1990 ~ trips as a child ~1997 ~ Caribbean Beach ~ 2002 ~ Vacation Home ~ 2003 ~ Stayed with Family ~ 2004 ~ Port Orleans Riverside ~2006 ~ Pop Century & Disney's Vero Beach ~ 2007 ~ Wilderness Lodge & Yacht Club ~ 2008 ~ Carnival Cruise & All Star Music ~ 2009 ~ All Star Sports & Downtown Hotel ~ 2009 ~ All Star Music, Comfort Inn & Boardwalk Villas
Aimeedyan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: