Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2005, 09:45 AM   #1
Alicnwondrln
DIS Veteran

When do kids start CCD to get for 1st communion?

We are catholic. We dont go to church often and have struggled with what to pass on to the boys. Shawn is baptized catholic. He is starting to ask about god and heaven and stuff. I was going to call the chruch and see how this works. I was around 5 when my parents divorced and I never did any of that. 1st communion, confirmation any of it. So i am not really familiar with it. We are alittle concerned with the churches stand on certain things but.. I am hoping that it will help teach him important lessons and what him learn right from wrong and that its ok to make mistakes. To be compassionate which is why we are concerned about the churches stand on gays rights. We dont have issues with people making this choice for themselves. Any info about how this works and the age you start these classes would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by Alicnwondrln; 03-25-2005 at 09:53 AM.
Alicnwondrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:48 AM   #2
JKMastalski
Enjoys wine at Victoria Falls
Hubby made it into the Hot Seat!
Still can't figure out which "Trail " we were on

I started CCD classes in 2nd grade and then continued up until 8th grade. Looking back, it was probably a total waste of money for my parents, because I couldn't tell you anything about what we learned. Although I do believe it was important to have my first communion and my confirmation.
*2012 - 2 weeks in the world! 10th Anniversary at The Boardwalk Inn & Shades of Green*2006 Christmastime at the Wilderness Lodge * 2003 First Anniversary at The AKL *2000 Shades of Green* 1999 All Star Music*1998 Carribean Beach *1994 Carribean Beach*1992 Contemporary*1986 Contemporary
JKMastalski is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-25-2005, 09:49 AM   #3
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

its CCD

Catholic Christian Doctrine I believe it stands for

In our Diosese.....they prepare from kindergarten to second grade and do First Communion and Penance in that grade and also they do the Confirmation too

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 AM   #4
bananiem
It's like Annie Bananie only it's just Bananie M.
I admit I LOVE good jewelry
I am not his dear or deer, for that matter

Our kids did Confession and First Communion during the 2nd grade. Confirmation will be in high school.
I also have some conflict with the church's teachings, but so did the priest at our last church! His belief was "Who are we to judge others?" That's the stand I want my kids to take as well.
I also wanted to add that our diocese no longer has CCD, perse. They call in Generations of Faith and it's once a month and the whole church family is SUPPOSED to be involved, whether you have kids or not. Also, the families enrolled in the parochial school are supposed to attend. Many of them want to know why they're paying tuition then.

"What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us;...What we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal." -Albert Pike
bananiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:50 AM   #5
goingbackagain
Mouseketeer

Most churches have ccd for those in Kinderg. but all churces by me require you attend ccd for 1st and 2nd grade for communion in 2nd grade. My children go every year. Some people only go the year before the sacrament, which is what they require. Our kids don't make confirmation until 11th gr. and they go to ccd every year.
goingbackagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
jellymanoffspring
I am an Exceptional Mutant..

Hi Kelly,

If you want your child receive and learn.....have him go all through out grade school not just "special" years!

Also if you are interesed in receiving the Sacraments yourself...contact your parish aboout their RCIA program...it is a wonderful way to learn more about your faith and to receive the Sacraments!

In my parish you go to a class for about a year and receive at the Easter Vigil......it is very moving and meaningful!
jellymanoffspring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:56 AM   #7
Alicnwondrln
DIS Veteran

well it certainly is alot to digest. I think I will call the church and see how it is set up
Then we can sit down and figure out to make it work for uor family.
thanks again for the responses.
Alicnwondrln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 09:59 AM   #8
The Mystery Machine
DIS Veteran

It is called PSR here, "Parish School of Religion". My dd's are making there 1st Communion and Confirmation this year.

The requirement here is that you have to have been in classes the year before to participate in the ceremonies. Otherwise the child has to take a "make-up" class that year. Ours is called "Ready, Set, Grow". My older dd did take those classes because I didn't get her baptized & communion until she was 9. She has been in classes ever since and now is 13 and going to be Confirmed.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:01 AM   #9
nhpooh
I just can't stop visiting this board
We are getting hotter and more humid each year
By the time I come back I will be lost again

When my DD's were little they started CCD in Kindergarten, made there First Communion in second grade. Penance is in the third grade and Confirmation is in the tenth grade. They went to CCD all that time.
75-offsite-DL/ w/family 79-offsite -Honeymoon 85-offsite 89-offsite 94-offsite 96-WL 98-CSR 2000-CBR/Disney W. 2002-DL/Paradise Pier 2004-WL/25th annv. 2005-Portofino Bay/POFQ 2007-ASMu/Family suites, 2008-POFQ/first MVMCP, 2009-DL/Grand Californian, 5/2011-ASSp/girls weekend, 9/2011- Beach Club/with DH, 8/2013 -CBR/with DH and DD
nhpooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:05 AM   #10
goingbackagain
Mouseketeer

Penance is done before 1st communion. Usually the same year, but a month or so before making communion.
goingbackagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #11
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

Not every parish does the sacraments in the same order. Technically, Confirmation should come before Communion, but I don't know of any parish that does that. Reconcilliation should happen before Communion, but a lot of parishes don't feel that 2nd graders are mature enough to confess their sins. Growing up, we had Confession, as it was called then, and confirmation in 6th grade, Communion was in 2nd grade.
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #12
JennBon
Mouseketeer

At my church, CCD started in first grade. This is when you had your Reconciliation (First Confession). Then in 2nd grade you made First Communion. 8th grade was Confirmation. Honestly I cannot remember a thing I learned and it was only 3 years ago. BUT if your son is really interested in religion, it's worth looking into. Plus, he would need to be Confirmed in order to get married in the Catholic church.

Port Orleans-1992, Coronado Springs-1998, Dixie Landings-2000, Animal Kingdom Lodge-2001, Beach Club Villas-2003, Beach Club Villas-2004, Old Key West-2005, Boardwalk Villas-2006, Beach Club Villas-2007

JennBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #13
elliemae1192
Mouseketeer
Asked for sympathy and got it... SYMPATHY!
I am in no way cooridinated enough to drink water while holding a pencil between my teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMastalski
I started CCD classes in 2nd grade and then continued up until 8th grade. Looking back, it was probably a total waste of money for my parents, because I couldn't tell you anything about what we learned. Although I do believe it was important to have my first communion and my confirmation.
You had to pay? My kids go to Catholic school now so they learn religion there and don't have to go to CCD, but back when my son went to public school he was in CCD classes and it didn't cost anything.

If your kids don't go to Catholic school they're supposed to be in CCD every year until comfirmation which is usually in 8th grade. Here it's just an hour of a "sunday school" type class right after mass.

First trip to Disneyland June 2007!
FW April 12 2009 (1st Trip w/out college age son )
Port Orleans Riverside December 2010 Best Western LBV March 2013 ASSp April 2014
elliemae1192 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:39 AM   #14
CamColt
Only thinks she’s not losing it
Mom gone wild!
I really feel like I have a good grip on things now
B1 BINGO!

At our Church (in case you are wondering its St Anthony's in Woburn) kids can sign up in 1st grade. They have parents who volunteer to teach classes. First Penance and First Communion are made in 2nd grade. DS just made his Penance a few weeks ago, and Communion will be in May. I believe Confirmation is 10th grade.

CamColt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2005, 10:45 AM   #15
MsDisney23
Has cabin fever-induced dreams of the Texas Roadhouse wings
Former female construction worker
Making medical history
Should have married all 7 dwarfs!

My dd went to Catholic School, they started them in Kindergarden, it was part of their religious education class. Communion was in 2nd. grade.
MsDisney23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: