Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The College Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you get along with your roommate?
Yes we're good friends 12 30.77%
Yes we arent friends but are nice to eachother 12 30.77%
No we cant stand eachother 2 5.13%
N/A i dont have a roommate 13 33.33%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-23-2005, 11:16 AM   #1
cheerdancer11
Mouseketeer

What was your first year of College like?

I am so excited for school! If you would like to comment on your experience freshman year do so here, and answer any of the questions you want.

Is is hard living with a roomate? Did you get along?
How much harder do you have to work from hs? Did you constantly do Hw?
Do freshman drink even if they are under 21?
Are there cliques- like after the 1st week every1 is segrated into their own group?

Thanks for your help, just trying to get a heads up on what itll be like next yr.
Michele

I'm hoping to go back over winter break!

-98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature (I don't know if i believe it though )***I'm the one in the Pink!
cheerdancer11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 12:31 PM   #2
DisHornFan
Mouseketeer

Well, I am still in my freshman year, but I'll post anyway.
I knew my roommate from high school, we were really good friends. Everyone told us we would end up hating each other and they were completely wrong. This year has been great and we are even living together again next year.
For me, the type of work is completely different. There really isn't much "homework", unless your in a math class. The main thing is reading. The first few months of college I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head I had to read so much . The tests are also alot different, they are harder, but that is to be expected.
And, yes here people drink even if they aren't 21. But you have to remember that it is like the #7 party school in the nation, so it might be different other places.
I don't really think that "cliques" exist in college. Sure the greeks all hang out together, but they aren't like exclusive. College is pretty much what you make of it. If you want to sit in your room and do school work all the time you can, but I wouldn't recommend it.

WDW CP Spring 2008 Attractions- Space Mountain
Seasonal 2008-2012
DisHornFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-23-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

I was really lucky. I had the chance to meet my roommate before we started school when she came up to Milwaukee for preview, and we knew we'd get along great. We had a lot of common interests, and while we did have our moments, I'd say my roommate experience my freshman year was really good. I'd heard some horror stories about roommates, so I was lucky mine worked out so well. It's not like we're the best of friends, but we do still get along and talk every so often.

Now to answer your other questions...
How much harder do you have to work from hs? Did you constantly do Hw? I agree, there really isn't much "homework"- it is a LOT more reading. But for me, since I had a really competitive high school, I didn't really find the transition from high school to college work all that difficult.

Do freshman drink even if they are under 21? Of course. There's always going to be those kids who want to drink. It also may depend on the school- if it's a big party school, then a lot more drinking will probably go on. I'm not a big partier, so I don't drink.

Are there cliques- like after the 1st week every1 is segrated into their own group? No, I would say there really aren't "cliques" in college.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
wdwgirl03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:10 PM   #4
supercarrie
DIS Veteran

My roomie and I aren't best friends, but we get along well enough. We haven't had a fight or argument all year, but haven't become really close, either. The only issue we have had is that she stays up until 4am or so most nights, and I like to go to sleep around 1am, but she just keeps her desk and mirror lights on so I can still sleep in relative darkness.

About the workload...I am on a quarter system (10 weeks + finals) at UCLA, so it is pretty demanding. It seems like every week you have a paper due or an exam, or both. Its not a lot of busy work, though, just a ton of reading, ranging from 50-250 pages/week for each class. I prefer it to high school because although its a lot of work, its a lot less class time as well.

Drinking...yes, almost everyone I know that is under 21 drinks. Most of the people who don't drink are those who would choose not to drink once they turn 21 as well (generally very religious people, but I don't want to stereotype, there are exceptions!) I can't drink currently because of the medication I am on, but it hasn't been a problem, either, people have been understanding about it. (To be honest, its not much fun for me though to stay the sober one!)

Cliques...the Greek scene seems to form cliques pretty quickly if you pledge, but eveyone here is pretty friendly. The first week you should be pretty social, though, since everyone is really open to meeting new people then, and once school begins, things get busy. Its not that people form cliques, its that they get to know people and settle in with a group of friends. Everyone I have met since the first few weeks have been really friendly also.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:49 PM   #5
cheerdancer11
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the input! I'm a pretty good reader so thatll probably come in handy. TTYL

-98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this into your signature (I don't know if i believe it though )***I'm the one in the Pink!
Old 03-23-2005, 06:50 PM   #6
Evil Princess
I'm going through coaster withdrawl
I am, afterall, a Princess
Please don't eat ketchup near me
Has hots for Uncle Kyle

Location: Boston by location, Long Islander with all my heart and soul!!! Don't let my current address fool you, I'm still in a New York state of mind!

My first roommate was HORRIBLE, but she left school entirely and I got a new one who I'm actually rooming with my Junior year next year.

Workload...it really depends on your major and the school you're at. Each program is different. This semester my workload is horrendous, fall semester wasn't so bad.

Drink? Of course. It's college. Lots of kids go nuts away from home and drink themselves into oblivion without their parents to watch them. Personally I drank in high school so I got the craziness out of my system before I got to college. I still drink, all my friends drink, but not too often. I really don't know of anyone who doesn't drink.

People are pretty friendly at first freshman year, everyone is in the same exact position!
Old 03-23-2005, 08:21 PM   #7
Megster
Mouseketeer
Missed all the good stuff while pretending to watch Extreme Home Makeover when the Tag Fairy knows she was just checking out Ty

I didn't know my roomate before Igot to school and was terrified she would be one of those crazy psycho roomates you here about. Deffinitely not! We get along great and I'm sure we'll stay friends for a long time.

Workload is deffinitely different. Most stuff is "optional". The professor could care less if you do it or not (meaning its not collected or graded). However, they don't just assign it for no reason. Most reading/problems are going to help you on papers and tests and you'll probably do pretty bad on the tests if you don't do the work. Im a good reader too, but I found reading at this level is a lot harder. I got distracted easier and 10 pages would take me like 20/25 minutes whereas in high school that would take me like 5.

As to drinking...absolutely. I do know a few people who don't drink due to medication or just they don't want to. No one really cares if you do or don't, so that was nice. Theres not the pressure to do it like there was in high school.

I don't think that cliques form especially with fresmen because everyone is going through the same stuff. I know a lot of people who think the Greek system is cliquey but personally I don't think so. i have a lot of friends who are Greek and I think many people who don't know anyone in the system mistake the close friendships/connections they have with each other as a clique. If going Greek is something you are even remotely interested in i would say you should check it out. Rush is great way to meet people even if you don't end up pleding anywhere.

"I make mistakes. I am out of control and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you don't deserve me at my best."
-Marilyn Monroe

"Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is to tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
-Hermann Goering, Nazi leader, at the Nuremberg Trials, April 18, 1946
Megster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 12:05 AM   #8
kandeebunny
DIS Veteran

My freshman year I was lucky enough to get a single so I never had to deal with a roomate. I was and still am one of the few people who just don't drink. I have no real desire to. As for the homework level, I went to a private Catholic prep school so I found college is MUCH easier for me. I have a lot of work to do, but nothing terribly hard, just time consuming. It also all seems to hit at once. I have 3 tests in a week or 3 papers due the same week, so it makes it harder to leave everything to the last minute. Like this week, (I'm taking 3 courses right now at 2 different schools) I had a History final and term paper due in one class, then in my other history class I have another final, a term paper, vocab and a powerpoint presentation due within a day of each other. In my Lit course I had reading logs, a term paper proposal and I have a midterm next week I have to study for. It's easy stuff, but it all happens at once.

I'm now a junior and a commuter, I don't really know that many people from school because of that and I've met no one this term because I have been doing online courses due to health issues and so I can travel.

As for the roomate situation though, one of my good friends had the roomate from Hell freshman year. She was weird, didn't talk to anyone, scheduled classes around her soap operas, was bulemic and ate cat food (I'm so not even kidding.) After trying it for awhile it didn't work for her and she was able to get moved after talking to the RA because it was SO bad. The RA is there to help you if something like that should occour.

My furbaby Tinkerbell
kandeebunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 10:21 AM   #9
jimmybop
DIS Veteran

I've been lucky with random roomate 3 diffrent times.... The first when I moved to college I was sopose to be trippled (lots of in comming Freshmen... but everyone would be detrippled @ x-mas time after people leave school for various reasons), but my third roomate never showed up (which was good... cuz they both did football, so they would of been there about 2 weeks before me and took up all the space :-P ). We wernt friends in the end... but we got along real well, and still will talk a bit if I see him around (which I havent seen him in about a year).

But I left after my 1st semester to do the College Program, and I got really lucky again, and he was awesome. We got along great and hung out a bunch..... I mean.. this isnt college but still being put with a random person....

And then the semester I got back, I got randomly put with someone who needed a roomate, and we got along real well.... not good friends or anything... but just like the first time, we lived well together.... although he did move out after x-mas break... but that was ok, my school never did anything untill about 1/2 through the semester :-P

As for drinking..... did I drink under age... no... and I still don't even though i'm 21... Do people do it under age? Yes.... are people smart about it? not all the time.... But if you don't want to, you don't have to, and if people force you to, ditch them and find someone else who is better (school is stressing enough as it is). But yeah... if you do, be smart about it and don't be the drunk person yelling in the hall at 3:30am at campus safety "i'm 18... I have rights.... I want to go down and get a soda, you can't tell me what to do... this is Bull**** blah blah blah... yada yada yada" (yeah.. that happened outside my door the other weekend...)
Old 03-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #10
pixiedust23
DIS Veteran

Thumbs down

well....not to scare you but i hated my freshman year in college. No amount of money would get me to go back and do it again!

My roomate: well she ended up suffering from depression, she was smelly, and she made all sorts of messes.

The workload: It was tough b/c I was on the varsity cheerleading team which took up 3 hours everyday. Plus I was pre-med and there is just soooo much reading. I highly reccomend doing the reading however, you'll do a lot better in your classes.

Drinking: everyone drinks, even if youre 12 year old little brother comes to visit you and stays in your dorm, lol he might even drink. But that's college for ya. Take advantage b/c the real world just isnt' like that!

As for cliques: my school was extremely clique-y. I graduated a few months ago and went back a couple weekends ago to visit some friends and the clique-iness still amazed me. However it was a really small school (about 4,000) so I feel that it all depends on the size of your school and the level of competitiveness there.
pixiedust23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 01:43 PM   #11
cheerdancer11
Mouseketeer

Hey pixie dust you sound a lot like me, i might be pre-med and i want to do cheerleading . What school did you go to? Thanks!

Old 03-24-2005, 02:24 PM   #12
pixiedust23
DIS Veteran

went to a small private school in VA. I'll leave it at that.
pixiedust23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:16 PM   #13
cheerdancer11
Mouseketeer

Cool! My friend is going to going in VA at Hollins University, she's really excited. Ttyl.

Old 03-24-2005, 03:37 PM   #14
Linxzy
DIS Veteran

No roomates, since I live 5 mins away from college. Plus my college does not have dorms.
I loved my first year, made great friends. I am in biology (changed mayor to biomedical sciences last year, but not much difference) and it is alot of reading. And lots of lab work.

As for drinking, our legal age is 18, so drinking is usual before college.
There are some cliques, but we all get together just fine.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
BluesTravlr00
Mouseketeer

i'm the only one who couldn't stand his roommate?

he was filthy. he smoked weed 3-4 times a day. he came home at 4am every night drunk and/or stoned - unable to open a packet of ramen noodles, so he would tear at the pack until tiny little shards of noodles exploded all over the carpet (for me to cut my feet on in the morning). he was racist. his friends stole my food. lots more. enough said. grrrrr....

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: