Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Jonas_Swe
Next Stop WDW

Talking Magic Express for foregin travelers

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding Disney's Magic Express

How does it work for a visitor from outside the United States?
How do we get the best use of the service to and from Orlando International as we have to go through a more extensive security check and the international customs registration process?

Will the service it be worth it's value to us, since we have to pick up, check in and register our luggage both on our way in to the US and out again?

And finally, is the Magic Express avalible from the Brittish ariport or do we only take advantage of the service once we have arrived at the Orlando International airport?

I know that the service is not avalible until May 5th, but if anyone has any more info on this service I would appriciate the input.

And as soon as the service is avalible, I hope to see a TR where the ME is included in the experience...
Disneyland Hotel - Castle Club
Walt Disney World: First Visit - 2005!
Disney's All Star Movies - 2 nights!
Disney's Wilderness Lodge - 10 nights!
Disney's Boardwalk Inn - 10 nights!

Jonas_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Hi

Here is what I believe to be correct for overseas citizens -

Disney will collect your luggage at MCO on your behalf, meaning that you can avoid the double-baggage-pickup scenario. They will load it on to the coaches for you.

You can board one of the Disney-themed motorcoaches for transportaton to your resort and, on your return, from your resort to MCO.

The service is complimentary for all on-site guests.

The service is not available from any UK airports, and (at this time) no UK flight companies (such as Virgin Atlantic, BA, etc.) offer the "in-resort" check-in service.

HTH

Grand Floridian - 2 Bedroom Suite, Royal Palm Club (x1), RPC (x1), Garden View (x1)
Animal Kingdom Lodge - Savannah Concierge (x1)
Boardwalk Inn - Concierge (x1)
Yacht Club - Water View (x1)
Hard Rock Hotel - Garden View (x1), Club Level (x1)
Portofino Bay Hotel - Bay View (x1), Deluxe (x1) Trip Report
Disneyland Hotel Paris - Regular (x1), Castle Club Park View (x2) & Tinker Bell Suite (x1)
Newport Bay Club Paris - Admiral Floor (x1)
Grand Californian - Standard (x1) Concierge (x1)
Disneyland Hotel, California - Resort View (x1) Trip Report
Frances999 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2005, 06:00 PM   #3
Miss Mickey Mania
I love ALL parts of Florida!

I plan on using Magical Express in July for my solo trip. In fact, I have already given my flight details to my Dreams Unlimited agent!

UK travellers go through immigration as usual, collect your luggage then put it on the 2nd conveyor as usual. The difference is that you won't collect it at final baggage claim. This is where the ME system takes over. So you only claim your baggage once, not twice.

For return travel to the airport, there is no resort check in for UK airlines, I would think due to security reasons. BUT - you can still use the bus facility. Just take your luggage on with you and it will be put in the storage place in the bus.

Me - 18 trips done, 19th on the way!
DH - 3 trips done, 4th on the way!
Miss Mickey Mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 03:13 AM   #4
London Calling
Mouseketeer

The Disney’s Magical Express is being launched by WDW on 5th May 2005. It is basically a transfer service between MCO and the WDW Hotels (not the Swan or Dolphin).

UK guests will need to clear customs and immigration, board the monorail from the terminal to the main building as normal and then go directly to the designated Disney Check In desk, located in Terminal A, level one, where they will be met by a Disney Representative.

They will bypass baggage claim and board coaches to the Walt Disney World Resort – as their bags “magically” appear in their room upon check in at their hotel.

For those who know the layout of MCO - you still need to clear customs and place your bags on the first luggage belt. It is only the 2nd reclaim area which you don't need to collect bags from.

On the return, Guests will be notified of their coach pick up time on the day prior to check-out. The coach pick up time is approximately 2 ¾ hours prior to flight departure.

UK operators need to agree to this feature and the transfer service as bags will initially have to be tagged at the UK airport. I am travelling in May and hope to use this service, however, when I spoke to Virgin, they didnt know what I was talking about. I rang Disney and they told me that Virgin will decide on tjis feature sometime in March/April.

If they go for it Ill let you know how I got on.

*Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin hotel, the seven hotels on or near Hotel Plaza Boulevard are not included.
London Calling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2005, 01:19 PM   #5
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Mickey Mania
UK travellers go through immigration as usual, collect your luggage then put it on the 2nd conveyor as usual. The difference is that you won't collect it at final baggage claim. So you only claim your baggage once, not twice.
Seriously? I was under the impression that your baggage was sorted right from the start. Thanks for this, and sorry for the misleading information!!

Thanks again!

Grand Floridian - 2 Bedroom Suite, Royal Palm Club (x1), RPC (x1), Garden View (x1)
Disneyland Hotel Paris - Regular (x1), Castle Club Park View (x2) & Tinker Bell Suite (x1)
Old 03-23-2005, 01:52 PM   #6
Miffy2003
I've got Saratoga Springs - makes me smile every time I log on!
Yumtastic!!

This is a great idea and one I am very pleased to be able to use. No more annoying double baggage handling, yippee!!

Are the cases flagged with a special label, and if so who should I ask for this? DVC members - will Member Services know? Though actually on our first night we are not in a DVC resort so maybe I should ask CRO. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Karen
Old 03-23-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miffy2003
This is a great idea and one I am very pleased to be able to use. No more annoying double baggage handling, yippee!!

Are the cases flagged with a special label, and if so who should I ask for this? DVC members - will Member Services know? Though actually on our first night we are not in a DVC resort so maybe I should ask CRO. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Karen
Karen, I believe you need to call CRO and request use of the Magical Express Service (it must be reserved in advance). I read that they send you special tags to put on your luggage so that they know which ones to pull off the conveyor. I think you can book a fair few months in advance.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:58 PM   #8
Miffy2003
I've got Saratoga Springs - makes me smile every time I log on!
Yumtastic!!

Frances - thank you!

Old 03-23-2005, 06:42 PM   #9
Miss Mickey Mania
I love ALL parts of Florida!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances999
Seriously? I was under the impression that your baggage was sorted right from the start. Thanks for this, and sorry for the misleading information!!

Thanks again!

Well I read this on another UK site. I think it's to do with the fact that we are coming into the US from abroad so we have to claim our luggage initially to go through customs. At least with Magical Express we won't have to wait at the carousel twice.

Things may all change by May of course when the system actually starts operating. Watch this space!

Me - 18 trips done, 19th on the way!
DH - 3 trips done, 4th on the way!
Miss Mickey Mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:30 AM   #10
edinburghlass
DIS Veteran

I am travelling to Orlando International with American Airlines via Chicago from Glasgow so I am assuming using this system that we wouldn't see our luggage after Chicago until we get to our room at Pop Century, is this correct

Any idea as to when we should book this and with whom? Just checked my email from the accommodation booking and the balance has to be paid by
8 May so possibly thats a good time to do it?

Just to confuse the issue my friend is flying into Florida two days later from NZ via LA, I'm not looking forward to trying to explain all this
edinburghlass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 02:18 PM   #11
Frances999
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinburghlass
I am travelling to Orlando International with American Airlines via Chicago from Glasgow so I am assuming using this system that we wouldn't see our luggage after Chicago until we get to our room at Pop Century, is this correct

Any idea as to when we should book this and with whom? Just checked my email from the accommodation booking and the balance has to be paid by
8 May so possibly thats a good time to do it?

Just to confuse the issue my friend is flying into Florida two days later from NZ via LA, I'm not looking forward to trying to explain all this
Yes, I believe you wouldn't see your luggage until arrival at Pop Century!

You must book atleast 10 days in advance, but you can book now if your prefer. It has to be booked through Central Reservations Orlando. You can call (407-WDISNEY) to make the booking.

PS - When returning home are you flying indirect again with AA? If so, you can use resort check-in which allows you to check in for your flight at Pop Century!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: