Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #91
D,L and K's Mom
D, L and now baby Kennedy's mom!
"Life does not have to be perfect to be wonderful" ~ Annette Funicello~
You've been dazed and confused for too long!

Flip FLops

I think one of the best suggestions I read here was to throw a cheap pair of flip flops in your bag so when it rains...and it WILL rain you can throw them on and keep your sneaks dry. After the rain stops out come the sneaks. This was great for us. We just kept a bag under the stroller and when it rained we put on the ponchos and the flip flops and we were off! It was alson nice for Splash Mount. and Kali.!
D,L and K's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:17 PM   #92
lalijack
Will work for tags
Too bad there isn't a place to study the Tag Fairies in their natural habitat, eh?

my favorite DIS board tip....

When I first read this tip on these boards, I thought, "Wow, that's almost too over the top even for me!" (But I did it anyway.)

Fill out one 4x6 index card for each day of your trip. Fill it w/info on that day's intended activities, including which park(s) you'll visit, ADR locations and confirmation #s, good places for spur-of-the-moment counter-service meals and snacks, must-see/must-do things at that park, fireworks or show times for that day, park hours, EMH hours if applicable, and tips found on the boards. For instance, if the boards suggested that we get a FastPass for one ride and ride another ride in the area while we waited for our return time, I included that info on my card.

Before you head to the parks, cover your card with packing tape to waterproof it, (yes, I brought a roll of packing tape to WDW!!!) and stick it in your bag. The perfect mini cheat sheet for the World! You can't imagine how helpful my index cards were for managing our first trip to Disney!!!

Me DH DS14 DD12
lalijack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2007, 03:23 PM   #93
HLDisney
DIS Veteran

I learned a lot from this thread when I was planning our Thanksgiving 2006 trip so I just wanted to return the favor and pass on some of the tips I found the most useful:

1) Covering the stroller in case of rain. I used the rain cover that came with our stroller and it saved my DD4 from having to sit in a wet stroller when we came back from a ride to find that there had been an unexpected rain shower
2) Ponchos and flipflops for Kali River Rapids. Kept my DD and I dry (while our friends got wet because they thought we were silly to be wearing the ponchos ) and we just switched back to our sneakers when we got off the ride.
3) Riding in the back of the Magic Kingdom railroad. - My DD and her friend got to say "All Aboard" and got a little card that said that they were honorary conductors (or something like that....I don't remember the exact wording now)
4) Asking to ride in the front of the monorail. My DD really enjoyed it
5) Getting large bottles of milk and water from the resort gift shop for snack credits instead of the snack size ones in the resort convenience store or food court. This saved us a lot of money. We had brought cereal with us to eat breakfast in the room and these big bottles of milk were more than enough for us for more than one breakfast.
6) Putting all of the ADR's, parade/fireworks times, EMH days, etc on one index card and putting it in a ziploc to keep it dry. I found myself referring to the card all the time.
7) Tying a scarf or something noticeable on your stroller so that you'll recognize it. It's amazing how many blue strollers are out there
8) Take advantage of Photopass photographers. I got some great photos of my DD and I together (which is rare since, as a single mom, I'm usually the photographer)

HLDisney (who's tentatively thinking about planning a Thanksgiving 2007 trip......)
HLDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #94
ZoZo
DIS Veteran

1) Make ADRs well before you go. You can always cancel them if you want to be spontaneous!

2) Emergency ponchos (the 79-cent Target kind). Small enough to tuck into a pocket or fanny pack. It was a lifesaver the night before the hurricane, when caught in a huge downpour! Cheap enough to be disposable!

3) Slow down and enjoy yourself. Take breaks and people-watch. If you rush from thing to thing, you'll miss out on some of the magic!

4) Communicate by cell phone. So nice to be able to be flexible in planning rather than having to say, "Let's meet __ at ___ o'clock."

5) Bring extra-comfortable shoes and use Coolmax socks. I brought a pair of workout shoes I thought were well-broken-in, but they caused a blister before I realized it. What a pain! Should have brought my old, crummy, comfortable shoes.

6) Save money and time by eating breakfast in your room.

7) Go to at least one character meal, even if your party is all adults!

8) If you see something you want to buy, be sure to buy it right then. You may not see it again at other places throughout WDW. If you change your mine (i.e. if you find a shirt you like better), you can always return the original shirt you bought to any WDW gift shop! You don't have to return it to the shop where you bought it. Just keep your receipts.

9) Use sunscreen (Neutrogena Spray-On is my new favorite!) and drink lots of water.

10) You don't have to lug around a heavy water bottle. Just ask any CS restaurant for a cup of ice water - they'll give it to you for free! You don't even have to buy anything!

11) Moleskin and Bodyglide to prevent blisters.

12) Lay out all the clothes you want to take with you. Then take half of them out of your suitcase and plan to do laundry mid-trip! It only takes about 1.5 hours to wash and dry a couple of loads (simultaneously), and gives you a chance to take a little break from the parks. [This is the most important thing I learned from my last trip - I brought so many clothes, and I wore only about 1/3 of them.]

13) I also make up a couple of laminated cards with park hours, ADRs, confirmation numbers, etc. They're the size of a credit card and have all of the info I need. No need to lug around a lot of paperwork or a park guide!

14) Have fun and enjoy the magic!
Old 01-05-2007, 08:49 PM   #95
mt mommy
Mouseketeer

such great ideas! I really like the index card tip. I also bought my kids sweatshirts at the Disney Outlet for the trip. I think they were $15 each. I got them out one night when they were asleep, so when they woke up the next morning they had a Disney sweatshirt to be excited to wear that night. And guess what??? They never even complained that I didn't buy them the $40 one we saw at the WDW gift shop!!

25 more days until fun at the POLY!!!
mt mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:39 PM   #96
Tigge50447
DIS Veteran

bring ziplock to put leftover cookies or snacks left on your plate, my silly mom did this and it worked out cause my son didn't eat 3 of his cookies from chief mickey's and later that night I ate one, it was super yummy, and there was no way I could have eaten it after the buffet.
August 26-30, 2005 - All-Star Movie
January 24-28, 2007 - Caribbean Beach Resort
August 27- September 01, 2007 - Pop Century *Free Dining*
March 19th - 24th 2009 - Port Orleans - Riverside
November 30th - December 5th, 2010 - Coronado *Free Dining*
August 2013 - Not sure yet
Tigge50447 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #97
rzeta94
Mouseketeer

Very interested in responses! Great info....thanks!!!
Old 01-17-2007, 05:42 PM   #98
SunflowerTigger
Earning My Ears

Coolmax socks

Where do you get the coolmax socks at?

I am definitely interested in these, don't want to get any blisters.

TIA

First trip to WDW March 24th-April 1st 2007
POFQ

I can't wait!!!

SunflowerTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #99
mt mommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigge50447 View Post
bring ziplock to put leftover cookies or snacks left on your plate, my silly mom did this and it worked out cause my son didn't eat 3 of his cookies from chief mickey's and later that night I ate one, it was super yummy, and there was no way I could have eaten it after the buffet.
I LOVE this idea!!! I am going to pack the ziplocs as we speak!

Only 13 more days until fun at the Poly in WDW!
mt mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 PM   #100
arielsleepingbeauty
I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way.

using pnchos to cover our stroller while we go into a ride or attraction. You never know what the weather will be like when you are inside. Sometimes you come out to find your stroller soaked from a surprise shower.

sorry i know this was already posted, but it really saved us many times.
1978 - 1988 offsite , 1989, 1990 CBR, 1992-1994 offsite, 2002, 2003, 2004 All-Star Movies, 2006 Pop Century, 2007 POR, 2008 Pop Century, 2009 All Star Movies, 2010 Pop Century, 2011 All Star Music, May 2012 Yacht Club, Aug 2012 All Star Music, August 2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge Villa, 2014 Wilderness Lodge
arielsleepingbeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:28 PM   #101
MrOakie
So, I went out & bought my stir crazy!

The best tip we got was to stay on site. Whenever we go back, we might end up paying a little bit more, but staying on site was so much more convenient.

(ME) (Kim - DW) (Allie) (Mama) (Secret) (Lil Bit)

October 2013 - CBR & MNSSHP
8/06 - CBR / 11/09 AS Movies & MVMCP / 10/10 - All Star Movies & MNSSHP / 11/12 -Pop Century & MNSSHP

Make a new Best Friend- Adopt A Homeless Pet
MrOakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:31 PM   #102
DreaGirl
DIS Veteran

Great tips...

Where can you find the moleskin and the coolmax socks?

Drea, DH, DD 8 y.o., DS 5 y.o.
DreaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:53 PM   #103
december
DIS Veteran

I got coolmax socks for me and my kids at Target. There are more expensive brands, but these were great last July.

You can get moleskin at Walmart or Target-near the cornpads and other footcare products.
december is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 PM   #104
sallysmom
Mouseketeer

Get Up!

I followed the advice I found on these posts and got my crew out of bed and to the parks early. It was the best advice! We're up early anyway so it just took a little extra effort to get everyone dressed and out the door. It was all worthwhile seeing the look of joy on my little one's face when Mickey pulled up in the train to "open" the Magic Kingdom.
And then when we needed a mid-morning break, around 11 am, right when the crowds started getting intense, we had already done several rides.
Being just a little early mentally helps you kick-start the day and you don't mind going back to the room for a little break. It's too crowded anyway at lunch time and gets you charged up to go back to the parks and do it all over again!
sallysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #105
DisneyJo
TGJ
Lost another competition
It's absolute bliss

Great tips, keep them coming.

A good tip we found was not to do EMH's, we did them twice and the parks were so crowded we made a point of avoiding them and found the parks were less crowded. One day in mid August we rode test track 3 time and soarin twice.
DisneyJo is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: